PDA

View Full Version : Cast out of a challenge....

leecutter
16-09-2011, 20:28
If I am locked in a challenge can I still cast a spell like caress of laniph at a different target in the same unit as the model im in a challenge with?

GotrekFan
16-09-2011, 20:33
Don't have the rule book to hand, but I would say no. As far as my understanding goes, Laniph is a DD spell so can't be cast while in combat, while hex spells will still affect the entire unit.

hamsterwheel
16-09-2011, 20:34
The Caress of Laniph is a direct damage spell so it cannot be cast into combat. However, if you're in a challenge, you can cast it on another model not in combat that happens to lie in your wizards forward arc.

leecutter
17-09-2011, 02:34
so you can't cast into combat even at a target your against... but you can cast out of combat while you're fighting?

Liber
17-09-2011, 02:48
so you can't cast into combat even at a target your against... but you can cast out of combat while you're fighting?

that is my understanding.

doesn't make any sense imo.

i mean you can't pivot and fire a crossbow, but you can be locked in a fight for your life and still cast complex magic at far away units.

thats the rules, i suppose they did it that way so the game doesn't involve simply keeping your casters out of close combat all the time

AMWOOD co
17-09-2011, 05:36

No good guy general would allow his mages to chance frying his valuable men. No tyrannical despot would allow anyone other than himself to decide which of his men live or die. And no unit would let some wizard who can't fight off a goblin decide to fry their numbers and then sleep through the following night.

Discipline or fear, take your pick, and them's the rules.

NitrosOkay
17-09-2011, 05:37
You can't cast out of a combat because the unit you're in combat with would be blocking your line of sight?

NTJ2010
17-09-2011, 05:50
You can cast while in close combat (clearly see hexes and augments) and I'd imagine you could if you could see what you are casting on (for example a dragon behind the unit you are fighting) but don't quote me on that.

Or if say the unit with the wizard is wide enough such that the wizard does not have enemies blocking his LOS then I see no reason he shouldn't be able to shoot out of close combat then (unless it says so in the BRB, I've wondered but never cared quite enough to look

AMWOOD co
17-09-2011, 05:58
You can't cast out of a combat because the unit you're in combat with would be blocking your line of sight?

Not necessarily. There are 3 main ways this won't be true.

1. The caster's front is not fully covered by the enemy. He may be at the corner of the enemy unit and is only in contact with half a model or they may be engaged at the flank. He would have a wide open gap to see with.

2. The opposing unit has gaps the caster can see through. They may be thin enough that he can see models past those directly in front of him.

3. The caster is significantly larger than his foes. A dragon rider (or Galrauch, who is a dragon himself) is not going to have any difficulty seeing over any unit of rank and file troops, even ogres. Likewise a mounted battle wizard has little trouble seeing over top of night goblins.

There are of course, other possibilities, and that's just line of sight. However, the only spells from the main rulebook and the new army books that require line of sight are Magic Missiles and those are prohibited for you to use if you are in combat. Direct Damage (such as Caress of Laniph) and most other spells do not have the Line of Sight limitation, only the front arc limitation.

Capt._Jaelinek
18-09-2011, 23:30
As wierd as it sounds, see p.31 in the BRB.

Direct damage spells must be in the Wizard's forward arc, but need not be in LOS. They cannot be cast at units engaged in combat.

Magic Missiles cannot be cast if the Wizard is in close combat.

Augment and Hex spells can be cast into combat, need not be in the Wizard's forward arc and do not require LOS.

Magic Vortexes need to be in frontal arc, do not need LOS, and cannot be cast at units engaged in combat.

Yrrdead
18-09-2011, 23:41
As wierd as it sounds, see p.31 in the BRB.

Direct damage spells must be in the Wizard's forward arc, but need not be in LOS. They cannot be cast at units engaged in combat.

Magic Missiles cannot be cast if the Wizard is in close combat.

Augment and Hex spells can be cast into combat, need not be in the Wizard's forward arc and do not require LOS.

Magic Vortexes need to be in frontal arc, do not need LOS, and cannot be cast at units engaged in combat.

Your last bit about Vortexes is incorrect. Vortexes don't have a target so saying that they cannot be cast at units engaged in combat is misleading.

They can and often are cast through units that are in combat.

Additionally while the vortex must be initially placed in the front arc , the direction that the caster elects it to move can be in any direction.

Capt._Jaelinek
19-09-2011, 02:43
Your last bit about Vortexes is incorrect. Vortexes don't have a target so saying that they cannot be cast at units engaged in combat is misleading.

They can and often are cast through units that are in combat.

Additionally while the vortex must be initially placed in the front arc , the direction that the caster elects it to move can be in any direction.

I agree with your point about misleading, but that was not my intention. A vortex can certainly move through units engaged in combat.

Reading the rules more closely it appears that a vortex can be cast if the Wizard is in combat as the spell is not targeted at a unit at all.

Yrrdead is correct, my bad. I'll have to remember that when using vortexes as this could be a nasty surprise in a challenge!