PDA

View Full Version : 2,500 High Elves competitive list

ellisk16
17-09-2011, 10:56
Hi guys,

All comments welcome, this is my first fantasy list so any advice is great.

Teclis = 475pts

Caradryn = 175pts

Mage with upgrade to level 3 wizard and starwood staff =175pts

Noble with light armour and blade of sea gold = 127pts

Unit of 20 spearmen with 'full command' and the lion standerd = 230pts

Unit of 20 spearmen with 'full command' = 205pts

Unit of 16 archers with 'full command' = 201pts

Unit of 16 archers with 'full command' = 201pts

Unit of 20 phoenix guard with keeper of the flame carrying the talisman of loce and the gem of courage. musician and standerd bearer carrying the standerd of balance = 395pts

2 Repeater bolt throwers = 200 pts

My plan is to run Caradryn with the phoenix guard and place the Mage in one of the spearmen units and have the Noble in the other, use the archers to 'attempt' to pick off anything i dont want too close and the bolt throwers to 'pick off' larger targets and basically use Teclis to cause some magic havoc

Thanks and once again any advice welcome

ellisk16
18-09-2011, 09:05
any comments/advice guys? it would be appreciated :D

Pyriel
18-09-2011, 09:15
your mage is lvl 2(lvl 1 +1), not lvl 3.

noble: rather poor.
-why light armour?
-since you alrdy have a noble, why no BSB?
-why not great weapon?

CORE: that's 837 points. 212 points above the 25% minimum.
212 points from your army you wont take back.
-phoenix guard: why not banner of sorcery?... teclis + banner of sorcery=nearly always 12 dice per magic phase.

i dont like the army. i am sorry, but your only truly powerful/competitive choices are caradryan, teclis, lvl 2 mage and 20 phoenix guard. you also have he repeater bolt throwers-these dont suck, but definitely arent the thing to base your list on.

you base too much on Core, and HE core suck. no swordmasters, no white lions, no dragon princes. and, actualy, absolutely NO great weapons whatsoever in the list, making ASF perform less imho.

the list doesnt suck, but i doubt it can do anything better than mid-tier. again, sorry for the criticism but you ask for advice and if i lied on my opinion i'd fail to grant your wish.

ellisk16
18-09-2011, 09:20
your mage is lvl 2(lvl 1 +1), not lvl 3.

noble: rather poor.
-why light armour?
-since you alrdy have a noble, why no BSB?
-why not great weapon?

CORE: that's 837 points. 212 points above the 25% minimum.
212 points from your army you wont take back.
-phoenix guard: why not banner of sorcery?... teclis + banner of sorcery=nearly always 12 dice per magic phase.

i dont like the army. i am sorry, but your only truly powerful/competitive choices are caradryan, teclis, lvl 2 mage and 20 phoenix guard. you also have he repeater bolt throwers-these dont suck, but definitely arent the thing to base your list on.

you base too much on Core, and HE core suck. no swordmasters, no white lions, no dragon princes. and, actualy, absolutely NO great weapons whatsoever in the list, making ASF perform less imho.

the list doesnt suck, but i doubt it can do anything better than mid-tier. again, sorry for the criticism but you ask for advice and if i lied on my opinion i'd fail to grant your wish.

Thanks for your advice im new to this, so it all helps il get to re-writing this list and then il post up :D

also in your opinion would sea guard be a better option than archers?

The Elder
18-09-2011, 09:35
Why do you put Full Command with your archers?

Cheers,
The Elder

ellisk16
18-09-2011, 09:39
Why do you put Full Command with your archers?

Cheers,
The Elder

um good question ;) honestly, it just 'felt' right. Would you take the sea guard over the archers?

thanks,

The Elder
18-09-2011, 09:44
Personally, they don't sound to tempting, in a competitive list where every point should count. They're wasting points every turn. When they're shooting, you miss out on the CC potential. And when they're in CC, you miss out on shooting potential.

Cheers,
The Elder

Pyriel
18-09-2011, 09:49
1. regarding sea guard compared to archers: the +1 or 2 points for all the sea guard stuff are great, so what you want to be careful is realy just the loss of longbow range, which is very important. there are two opinions.

#1: archers and repeater bolt throwers. long-range shooting is important to this list. i'd say stick to archers. and when i say "stick to" i mean archers should be the WHOLE core.

#2: close combat and sea guard. in this list, theres no actual shooting. but you will occasionaly shoot at light units not worth hunting. they(seaguard) are basicaly "closer range archers with 5+ save"(i dont care much for str 3 spears). and in a cc list, the lack of range dont hurt that much.

for your list, i'd say stick to 625 points of archers. 50-ish.

ellisk16
18-09-2011, 11:45
ok here goes,

in order to include some of the stuff you listed and it still be 2,500 pts a legal ive had to drop other things, ive had to drop caradyn and the mage, which im not completly happy with but you gotta do what you gotta do. as always all comments welcome.
Teclis : 475pts

Noble with BSB, great weapon = 118pts

3 Units of 16 archers with light armour and full command (only to fill points) = 648pts

20 Swordmasters with full command. biting blade and standerd of balance = 379pts

20 phoenix guard with full command, sword of battle and banner of sorcery = 400pts

5 dragon princes = 150pts

20 white lions with musician and standerd bearer = 318

that equals = 2488. i couldnt add any upgrades to the princes, or lions as that would have taken me over the special unit limit.

Pyriel
18-09-2011, 11:59
TREMENDOUS improvement. granted, its not necessary to use ALL special choices, just that the're good enough that the total pts value of any HE list should be close-to-full in secials (random example: 30 white lions and 30 phoenix guard). using all 4 of these units is very effective too, though.

however...why not heavy armour on the noble? its just 4 points...4.

i dont like the upgrades at special units at all.
-swordmasters: no reason for standard of balance and biting blade (champion's high str due to great weapon already reduces armour by -2, why switch it for a mere -1?). HUGE reason for banner of eternal flame to take out units with regen. cheaper as combo too.

-phoenix guard: no reason for sword of battle. champion already has halberd for +1 str, why change it for a +1 attack sword? put amulet of light instead (all attacks are "considered" magical) to take out any possible ethereal creatures.cheaper too.

i like this list TONS more, but you should keep in mind when selecting magical wargear, HE are better off with magic *buffs*, not magic weapons.
sword of battle, biting blade, sword of might etc offer nothing/little. EXCELLENT includes are banner of sorcery(buff to magic phase), amulet of light(all attacks are magical), banner of eternal flame(all attacks are flaming), gleaming pendant(reroll Ld) etc rule.

The Elder
18-09-2011, 12:06
You used the full commands on the archers to fill points, but for that amount of points you could also take something to add some more punch. Say a Chariot.

Cheers,
The Elder

ellisk16
18-09-2011, 12:14
TREMENDOUS improvement. granted, its not necessary to use ALL special choices, just that the're good enough that the total pts value of any HE list should be close-to-full in secials (random example: 30 white lions and 30 phoenix guard). using all 4 of these units is very effective too, though.

however...why not heavy armour on the noble? its just 4 points...4.

i dont like the upgrades at special units at all.
-swordmasters: no reason for standard of balance and biting blade (champion's high str due to great weapon already reduces armour by -2, why switch it for a mere -1?). HUGE reason for banner of eternal flame to take out units with regen. cheaper as combo too.

-phoenix guard: no reason for sword of battle. champion already has halberd for +1 str, why change it for a +1 attack sword? put amulet of light instead (all attacks are "considered" magical) to take out any possible ethereal creatures.cheaper too.

i like this list TONS more, but you should keep in mind when selecting magical wargear, HE are better off with magic *buffs*, not magic weapons.
sword of battle, biting blade, sword of might etc offer nothing/little. EXCELLENT includes are banner of sorcery(buff to magic phase), amulet of light(all attacks are magical), banner of eternal flame(all attacks are flaming), gleaming pendant(reroll Ld) etc rule.

before i post up again, i dont see banner of eternal flame in my He book?

The Elder
18-09-2011, 13:55
It's in the BRB.

Cheers,
The Elder

ellisk16
18-09-2011, 17:14
It's in the BRB.

Cheers,
The Elder

Forgive my ignorance but whats the BRB?

The Elder
18-09-2011, 17:17
The big red/rule book (believe is not red anymore)

Cheers,
The Elder

ellisk16
18-09-2011, 18:08
The big red/rule book (believe is not red anymore)

Cheers,
The Elder

Thanks, il get re writing

ellisk16
18-09-2011, 18:33
Teclis : 475pts

Noble with BSB, great weapon heavy armour = 122pts

3 Units of 16 archers with light armour and full command (only to fill points) = 648pts

20 Swordmasters with full command.banner of eternal flame (dont know pts value, misplaced my rulebook) = 324pts

20 phoenix guard with full command,amulet of light and banner of sorcery = 395pts

5 dragon princes = 150pts

20 white lions with musician and standerd bearer = 318

do you think i survive the magic phase with just 1 wizard

grhino
19-09-2011, 06:24
Make sure you use Teclis with shadow magic and get that withering spell off... your archers will kill the enemy troops in droves...