PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen 2500 "friendly" vs Dark Elves

malgrimace
17-09-2011, 23:58
Okay, so this is meant to be a listing for my first ever game of WHFB.

The reason for "friendly" being all inverted is due to my opponent. She's IMENSLEY good at Warhammer. She's very experienced and known for spending hours and hours pouring over army lists to come up with the best she can get. I know she's fond of her magic, so that's why I have the kitted out Slann, and the Skink for additional dispells. I also anticipate heavily cavalry, as when she's playing Chaos, she's a bugger for using large blocks of Knights.

With this in mind, I'm expecting to face a pretty stiff listing, and I anticipate a pretty rough game... but if it was going to be easy, it wouldn't be fun.

With that in mind - here's my proposal for the game:

Slan Mage-Priest - 420
Mystery, Rumination, Cognition, Cupped Hands

Scar Veteran - 125
Sword of Battle, Light Armour, Enchanted Shield

Scar Veteran - 115
Gold Sigil Sword, Charmed Shield, Light Armour, Dragon Helm

Skink Priest - 90
Dispell Scroll

CORE

23 Saurus Warriors - 306
Full Command, Spears. (baby sitting a Scar Veteran)

23 Saurus Warriors - 283
Full Command, (baby sitting the other Scar Veteran)

21 Skinks - 281
Full Command, 2 Kroxigar (baby sitting the Skink Priest)

10 Skink Skirmishers - 70

SPECIAL

8 Chameleon Skinks - 96

16 Temple Guard - 271
Banner of Discipline

RARE

2 Salamanders - 160
Extra Handlers

Ancient Stegadon - 275

This comes out at 2492. I'm thinking Slann/Temple Guard in the middle, with the Ancient Stegadon at the side, the 2 blocks of Saurus Warriors to either side of the Steggadon/Slann and the Skinks off to one side.

Comments and Critique greatly appreciated.

malgrimace
18-09-2011, 23:56
Not to sound pushy, I've had 17 views and no comments. I'm really quite eager for any critique on what I can improve upon :)

AdzAxeUk
19-09-2011, 08:33
List looks good:

what lore slann using? life will screw her up if clever with it

This is a solid list but i would try and get burning blade on a scarvet though for hydra hunting but skink should do that fine.

only thing i would say is split the sallis up in to 2 units of 1

8 points left add 1 skink skirmisher cos you can :P

me personally i donít think the steg is that good (not a lone steg any way) i would rather spend them points pumping TG up to 20 adding some dons for getting rid of crossbowmen/bolt throwers. but as i say thatís down to my personal preference.

Hope this helps

AdzAxeUK

malgrimace
19-09-2011, 22:26
Well, if I was going to drop the Ancient, I'd probably up the number of Lizardmen in the main units, or get a block of Krox to anchor a flank and some 'Dons for war machines.

Last time she played, she took 2 Hydras versus Skaven, so I wouldn't be shocked if she did the same.

I was thinking lore of Light for the mage - I've read in a few places that this is the best for our scaly friends, due to the buffs.

malgrimace
19-09-2011, 22:34
Forgot to mention - I've read people using the Slann as a BSB, but I don't see a listing on the points for this, where-as in other army books I've read, there's a seperate cost for taking this upgrade. Can the slann be a BSB and is it worth bothering adding a banner on him either with or instead of the temple guard?

AdzAxeUk
20-09-2011, 08:56
Yep the slann can be the BSB it explains it in the Hero section bottom right :)
I use my slann as the BSB (most people donít because if you lose combat you lose the slann) I give my slann the war banner for a static combat of 6 before kills.

because LD10 Cold blooded with a BSB is just about unbreakable

i run life at this Level so my Tg are normally T8 or have regen.

i have used both Life and light to great success both very powerful, IMHO Life is better and more fun, but light is good

i have come 1st 2nd in a few tournaments running life but as i say its what i prefer

life more defensive
light more offensive

if you do drop the steg bump the saurus up to 25 (honestly its all you need 6x4)
and up the TG to at least 20
remaining points dons and como skink even another scarvet (people under estimate scarvents and how useful they are)
hydras are easy to deal wil tbh skink can do one over easy
hope this helps,
AdzAxeUK

When you got the game be nice to know how you did :)

papabearshane
20-09-2011, 13:06
Ive been using fire for my Slann and have been having great sucess, taking out small units and doing mass damage to combat blocks throws a big wrench in your oponents plans. Casting through a skink and the low casting costs of fire spells is great as you can get off 3-5 spells even in a mediocure magic phase.

Scar Vet #2 has 2 Magic Armours and if you drop the champs from your Units you could add the BSB on your Slann.

Good Luck and Post the Battle Report.

thesheriff
20-09-2011, 13:50
IMO, cohorts, unless mahussive, are not durable enough to house a character. I'd rather slap on cloak of feathers and have him flapping about. I also think diadem of power is too useful, and would be better than a scroll.

Scar vet, armour of fortune, dragonbane gem, shield
Scar vet, talisman of endurance, dragon helm, LA, shield.

Practically symmetrical, and with each having a 2+/5++/2++flaming save are awsome challenge monkeys.

Any left over pts from my changes could be invested in either;
*2 more salamanders
*More chameleons
*More temple guard

thesheriff

malgrimace
20-09-2011, 20:40
Okay, so what about:

Slan Mage-Priest - 420
Mystery, Rumination, Cognition, Cupped Hands

Scar Veteran - 128
Armour of Fortune, Dragonbane Gem, Shield

Scar Veteran - 130
Talisman of Endurance, Light Armour, Dragon Helm

Skink Priest - 90
Diadem of Power

CORE

23 Saurus Warriors - 306

23 Saurus Warriors - 283

21 Skinks - 281

11 Skink Skirmishers - 70

SPECIAL

9 Chameleon Skinks - 96

20 Temple Guard - 345
War Banner

RARE

3 Salamanders - 160
Extra Handlers

3 Terradons - 90

This comes to 2498

Thinking the Slaan in the centre, with Lizardmen either side, with salamanders scattered throughout in units of 1. Put the Skinks on 1 flank with the Skirmishers and Chameleons on the other, and use the Terradons to hunt Bolt Throwers.

I wasn't sure what you meant by Cohorts, thesheriff

AdzAxeUk
21-09-2011, 09:13
2nd list looks great :)

one thing though at 2500 points you can only have 2 of the same rare so either take 2 x 1 salamanders units of 2 not as good IMHO because they have a bigger threat lvl

take 2 units of 1 salamander saves you 75 points which can be used on BSB for slann and give him banner or +1 LD LD10 slann rocks. leaving you 35points for you to play with

Cohorts are you ranked up skink (skroks)

with the dons and camo skink you should have no problem taking there shooting out (bolt throwers 1st :P)

What sort of list dose she normally use? may be able to advise a little if you like :)

But good luck with your game hope to hear about

AdzAxeUK

BertusB
21-09-2011, 09:49
A very nasty trick if your opponent is going magic heavy, is taking the Bane Head on your Slann. Donate on of your miscasts (after rolling on the table, see the LM FAQ) with Cupped Hands, and if that S10 hit becomes an wound on her caster, it is doubled. This usually kills that pesky lvl 2 fire/shadow/whatever mage. Worked wonders for me so far. At only 15(?)pts, it's a bargain. Hope that helps!

malgrimace
21-09-2011, 10:20
2nd list looks great :)
take 2 units of 1 salamander saves you 75 points which can be used on BSB for slann and give him banner or +1 LD LD10 slann rocks. leaving you 35points for you to play with

If I take a BSB with the Slann, someone mentioned that he could be captured, if this a major concern. Also, if he's the BSB, he can't be the general, so would I be right in thinking that the temple guard wouldn't be able to use his LD?

What sort of list dose she normally use? may be able to advise a little if you like :)

She normally plays WoC or Daemons - the Dark Elves are fairly new to her (she's taking it 'easy' on me... also to be read 'she's testing new lists on a newbie) so I'm not really sure what to expect. From her previous games, she's fond of 2 hydras, heavy cavalry and magic, I'm expecting blocks of corsairs as well since with their offense to cost ratio, it's what I'd take.

Sparowl
21-09-2011, 10:37
Lizardmen have special rules regarding the Slann being both the BSB and General. It's allowed. There's really no reason not to, as a matter of fact.

I don't generally bother with the standard of discipline on the Slann. If leadership 9 cold blooded with a re-roll isn't good enough, then I'll accept my rare misfortune.

I prefer life on the Slann, especially with multi-wounders running nearby. Just remember to keep them in range of the lifebloom.

Battlehamster
21-09-2011, 17:50
I almost always kit my slann the same in every game, rumination, cogitation, lore of mystery (light or life), Cupped hands, BSB and standard of discipline. It is hefty at 460 pts but definitely works.

I never worry about losing my BSB/General Slann to running away from combat. A leadership 10, cold-blooded, rerollable and stubborn means as long as you still have one temple guard left, you're not going anywhere. And if your temple guard are all dead, you've already lost the game by a lot so it doesn't matter. Take advantage of our special slann rules and run the big toad early and often!

On a related note, I tried an oldblood lead army the other day and my stupid general ran away due to a panic test from a fleeing group of skinks; very stupid and would never happen to a slann. Never taking an oldblood general again.

malgrimace
24-09-2011, 11:10
Well, this is the final line up:

Slan Mage-Priest - 460
Mystery, Rumination, Cognition, Cupped Hands, Standard of Discipline

Scar Veteran - 128
Armour of Fortune, Dragonbane Gem, Shield

Scar Veteran - 130
Talisman of Endurance, Light Armour, Dragon Helm

Skink Priest - 90
Diadem of Power

CORE

23 Saurus Warriors - 306

23 Saurus Warriors - 283

21 Skinks - 281

11 Skink Skirmishers - 70

SPECIAL

10 Chameleon Skinks - 120

20 Temple Guard - 345
War Banner

RARE

2 Salamanders - 160
Extra Handlers

4 Terradons - 90

Going to try Lore of Life as well with the Slann. Wish me bloody luck. I'm going to need it!

MOMUS
24-09-2011, 13:04
Looks like a nice list. Why not have two units of 5 chameleon skinks rather than one 10 skink unit? You could split the salamanders aswel.
Are you keeping the 21 skrox unit close to your slann? They can be really annoying to an opponent with T6. :D
Terradons are special and 3=90pts.

malgrimace
24-09-2011, 18:18
That listing was posted litterally at the last minute before I left to play the game and I'd not altered all of it properly.

malgrimace
24-09-2011, 22:35
Aaaaaaaaaaaaand here's the battle report: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5801178#post5801178