PDA

View Full Version : Minotaurs maximum attacks

havockrauser
18-09-2011, 23:13
Just wondering about the rule for Minotaurs that confers to them +1 attack after winning combat. Is this ability cumulative?

Say, if my minotaur unit wins 3 rounds of combat, that unit is conferred +3 attacks and an additional +1 from Frenzy? Thanks!

Mr_Rose
18-09-2011, 23:23
Just wondering about the rule for Minotaurs that confers to them +1 attack after winning combat. Is this ability cumulative?

Say, if my minotaur unit wins 3 rounds of combat, that unit is conferred +3 attacks and an additional +1 from Frenzy? Thanks!
After three winning rounds it will have three extra attacks, not four; the first winning round grants Frenzy then subsequent victories add extra attacks (you didn't mention anything else giving them Frenzy, like a Doombull or similar).

And yes they are cumulative; they persist as long as the unit has Frenzy. Remember, however, that units lose their Frenzy (and all of their bonus attacks in his case) as soon as they lose a combat.
Minotaurs have the almost unique ability to regain Frenzy later though.

havockrauser
18-09-2011, 23:24
Thanks! I figured this was the case, but had some opponents who disagreed.

decker_cky
19-09-2011, 01:13
The rule is actually incredibly well written, but there are a few funny cases because of it. If a Gorebull started in the unit, the unit starts with +1 attack for frenzy. When they win the first round, they gain frenzy, and because they were already frenzied, they get an additional attack.

For the example, we'll give them great weapons. Starts with 3, frenzy from the gorebull = 4, win a round of combat = 5.

If the gorebull now leaves, the unit remains at 5 attacks per model, because bloodgreed gives frenzy, as well as extra attacks if they were already frenzied.

Harwammer
19-09-2011, 07:20
I thought this was going to be a question regarding what happens when Attack + n Extra Attack > 10

popisdead
19-09-2011, 22:40
I thought this was going to be a question regarding what happens when Attack + n Extra Attack > 10

me too, but apparently not

Andy p
20-09-2011, 08:18
The rule is actually incredibly well written, but there are a few funny cases because of it. If a Gorebull started in the unit, the unit starts with +1 attack for frenzy. When they win the first round, they gain frenzy, and because they were already frenzied, they get an additional attack.

For the example, we'll give them great weapons. Starts with 3, frenzy from the gorebull = 4, win a round of combat = 5.

If the gorebull now leaves, the unit remains at 5 attacks per model, because bloodgreed gives frenzy, as well as extra attacks if they were already frenzied.

Also I read somewhere about giving a minotaur character the frenzy sword that means you can never lose frenzy and since he gives it to them, they always have it and cant lose it either :D.

I hope that's right.

badguyshaveallthefun
20-09-2011, 17:49
Also I read somewhere about giving a minotaur character the frenzy sword that means you can never lose frenzy and since he gives it to them, they always have it and cant lose it either :D.

I hope that's right.

Yes, that is correct. The frenzy sword character is a popular one for the minobus kitout.

fusionmonkey
20-09-2011, 18:36
im just checking if this is right.

so if you have 5 minos with additional hand weapons with a doom bull and the +3 attacks sword you get 5 attacks a piece fore the minos and the doom bull with 9 attacks .

then if you were playing metting engagement and got a first turn charge and won combat for 12 phases of the game then each mino has 11 attacks by the end of the game, and lets just say for kicks an giggles you somehow cast time warp on them for 18 attacks a piece

then by the end of the game (assuming they havnt killed any minos) you have 85 s5 attacks then with the doom bull 22 s6 and finally (if if 3 wide) 3 stomps and if they have overun a possible 3 impact hits then 3 from the character.

so with a grand total of a possible 126 wounds.

wow... shame it will never happen

badguyshaveallthefun
20-09-2011, 19:22
Yes, too bad. I find that my Minotaurs usually work themselves up to about +2 or +3 before they're spent combat wise (I only take units of four with AHW and musician, they're too expensive otherwise, I use them to flank and harass)

I have yet to take a Doombull, as I always find myself needing the Leadership of the Beastord and/or the magic of a great bray, but one day I hope to play a game large enough to field all three.

popisdead
20-09-2011, 19:58
I have yet to take a Doombull, as I always find myself needing the Leadership of the Beastord and/or the magic of a great bray

That's one of the issues with the book. Relying on LD to make the army work in an army that has low LD.

Lone Doombulls can chew through units pretty well.

Mr_Rose
20-09-2011, 21:08
im just checking if this is right.

so if you have 5 minos with additional hand weapons with a doom bull and the +3 attacks sword you get 5 attacks a piece fore the minos and the doom bull with 9 attacks .

then if you were playing metting engagement and got a first turn charge and won combat for 12 phases of the game then each mino has 11 attacks by the end of the game, and lets just say for kicks an giggles you somehow cast time warp on them for 18 attacks a piece

then by the end of the game (assuming they havnt killed any minos) you have 85 s5 attacks then with the doom bull 22 s6 and finally (if if 3 wide) 3 stomps and if they have overun a possible 3 impact hits then 3 from the character.

so with a grand total of a possible 126 wounds.

wow... shame it will never happen
Your attacks characteristic can't go above ten and, while it's not capitalised in the blodgreed rule, it does say they gain "extra attacks" which increases your Attacks characteristic specifically.

Harwammer
20-09-2011, 21:34
'Extra attacks' is not the quote, "the model gains an additional Attack" is the phrase used. The capitalisation suggests it is the actual stat value that changes (rather than just receiving bonus attack dice) as such the model must be capped at 10 attacks. Note the extra Attack from Frenzy or the optional xhw won't take the model over 10 attacks as the Extra Attack rule used by Frenzy/XHWs also increases the Attacks value by 1*.

Get out clause: Extra Attack is a special rule whereas stats being capped at 10 being a basic rule. This may mean Frenzy/XHW can circumvent the Attacks cap.

Chicago Slim
21-09-2011, 02:35
Also note, the second rank of any Minotaurs unit maxes at 3 attacks (see Supporting Attacks, Monstrous Infantry).