PDA

View Full Version : New Ogres 1500 pts

Gorthaur
19-09-2011, 03:17
First time I have ever gone above 1000 points, I just got all my new Ogre stuff and put together a list. I wanted to take advantage of all the cool new models as much as possible. Tell me what you guys think. Im not very experienced or good at army lists either, but thats why im asking for help.

--Ogre Kingdoms Army List--

--Heroes:
Ogre Bruiser-134 points
w/heavy armor and Mountaineater (big name)
Ironfist

--Core Units:
8 Ogre Bulls-276 points
w/ Crusher/Bellower
Ironfists

6 Ogre Ironguts-508
w/Dragonhide banner

20 Gnoblars- 65 points
w/trappers

20 Gnoblars- 65 points
w/trappers

--Special Units:
4 Leadbelchers-172

2 Mournfang Cavalry- 148
w/heavy armor//standard/crusher

--Rare Units:
Scraplauncher-130

Total: 1498

The Satyr
19-09-2011, 03:20
Can't take Harpoon and Vulture on hunter, i think pistols on mournfangs are bad cause BS2.

havockrauser
19-09-2011, 03:34
First time I have ever gone above 1000 points, I just got all my new Ogre stuff and put together a list. I wanted to take advantage of all the cool new models as much as possible. Tell me what you guys think. Im not very experienced or good at army lists either, but thats why im asking for help.

--Heroes:
Hunter-400 points
w/Stonehorn/HarpoonL/Vulture/

Bruiser-120 points
w/Great Weapon and heavy armor

--Core Units:
8 Ogre Bulls-286 points
w/ Crusher/Musician/Bellower
Ironfists

4 Ironguts-172 points

20 Gnoblars- 65 points
w/trappers

--Special Units:
4 Leadbelchers-172

2 Mournfang Cavalry- 154
w/heavy armor//standard/crusher/pistols

--Rare Units:

Scraplauncher-130

Total:1499

This is definitely a fun list to play. I've never experimented with the Hunter on a Stonehorn but hope to eventually. It's a large point sink for what is really going to turn out as an oversized chariot/support unit. Consider a crown of command for stubborn ld 9??

Your cheap Bruiser will pay for his points. Even with an additional handweapon he's a bargain for the damage he can dish out.

Ironguts are a strange investment now. I feel you really have to commit to the unit (maybe 9 or 10 strong with a dragonhide bannder) to have them be worth the investment. I find generic Ogre 'bulls' to be more well rounded, lest costly, and more effective usually. Maybe consider swapping out ironguts for another unit of bulls? Or find points for a unit of 6 ironguts (probably the minimum I'd play).

Gnoblars are awesome. That's all.

Your 2 Mournfangs will work. I'd drop the pistols myself but if you like the idea, go with it. However, the 2 sets of impact hits, mount attacks, and ogre attacks will be enough in most scenarios.

Scraplauncher is awesome. Any power gamer would scoff and tell you to go ironblaster instead, but they both have tremendous ability to pay for themselves and wreak havoc. And who doesn't love a move and fire catapult chariot??

Leadbelcher units are fine. They'll work well at protecting your flanks from pesky fast cav and the like. You'll get some lucky shooting phases sometimes!

Overall a fun list, that would also be fun to play against, I think. Just take some time and consider what you could take if you didn't plop that hunter on the stonehorn.

Gorthaur
19-09-2011, 03:56
This is definitely a fun list to play. I've never experimented with the Hunter on a Stonehorn but hope to eventually. It's a large point sink for what is really going to turn out as an oversized chariot/support unit. Consider a crown of command for stubborn ld 9??

Your cheap Bruiser will pay for his points. Even with an additional handweapon he's a bargain for the damage he can dish out.

Ironguts are a strange investment now. I feel you really have to commit to the unit (maybe 9 or 10 strong with a dragonhide bannder) to have them be worth the investment. I find generic Ogre 'bulls' to be more well rounded, lest costly, and more effective usually. Maybe consider swapping out ironguts for another unit of bulls? Or find points for a unit of 6 ironguts (probably the minimum I'd play).

Gnoblars are awesome. That's all.

Your 2 Mournfangs will work. I'd drop the pistols myself but if you like the idea, go with it. However, the 2 sets of impact hits, mount attacks, and ogre attacks will be enough in most scenarios.

Scraplauncher is awesome. Any power gamer would scoff and tell you to go ironblaster instead, but they both have tremendous ability to pay for themselves and wreak havoc. And who doesn't love a move and fire catapult chariot??

Leadbelcher units are fine. They'll work well at protecting your flanks from pesky fast cav and the like. You'll get some lucky shooting phases sometimes!

Overall a fun list, that would also be fun to play against, I think. Just take some time and consider what you could take if you didn't plop that hunter on the stonehorn.

Thanks, I have seen alot of posite stuff about the Ironblaster but I think the model looks ridiculous and I love Gnoblars and the idea of a scraplauncher. I decided to take the Stonehorn because its a cool model, and I like the idea of a Ogre hero riding around a giant monster. If the model didnt look so fun to work on, I would probablly not care for it.

I revised the list, editing it over the original in my OP.

Disciple of Caliban
19-09-2011, 04:32
Just a quick pointer, your list is illegal because it has too many points in heros, the two answers that pop immediately to mind are either: remove hunter and field the stonehorn as a rare choice (though that may put you over your rare allowance with a scrap launcher), or, upgrade your bruiser to a tyrant/slaughtermaster so they use you lords allowance instead of your hero points.

Gorthaur
19-09-2011, 04:39
Just a quick pointer, your list is illegal because it has too many points in heros, the two answers that pop immediately to mind are either: remove hunter and field the stonehorn as a rare choice (though that may put you over your rare allowance with a scrap launcher), or, upgrade your bruiser to a tyrant/slaughtermaster so they use you lords allowance instead of your hero points.

Corrected, though I had to scrap the 4 Ogre bulls.

Gorthaur
19-09-2011, 20:29
Okay, my hunter turned out to be too expensive for a 1500 point army. I could only have a max of 275 on a hero. I revised the list once again, edited in the OP.

sturguard
19-09-2011, 23:53
Both of your trapper units are off- you have 65, they should be 75 pts.

narrativium
19-09-2011, 23:58
That's okay. There's no way 6 Ironguts costs 508 points.

Gorthaur
20-09-2011, 02:01
That's okay. There's no way 6 Ironguts costs 508 points.

Both of your trapper units are off- you have 65, they should be 75 pts.

Yup, those were both miscalculations due to my rushedly conjuring up this list. I shall revise the list yet again with all of this in mind.

Gorthaur
20-09-2011, 02:12
Revised again.

--Heroes:
Ogre Bruiser-134 points
w/heavy armor and Giantbreaker (big name)
Ironfist

Ogre Butcher-102 points
w/additional hand weapon

--Core Units:
8 Ogre Bulls-276 points
w/ Crusher/Bellower
Ironfists

6 Ogre Ironguts-318
w/Dragonhide banner and Bellower

10 Gnoblars- 50 points
w/trappers

10 Gnoblars- 50 points
w/trappers

10 Gnoblars- 50 points
w/trappers

10 Gnoblars- 50 points
w/trappers

--Special Units:
4 Leadbelchers-182
w/Bellower

2 Mournfang Cavalry- 143
w/heavy armor/bellower/ironfists

--Rare Units:
Scraplauncher-130

Total: 1485

OgreWargaming
21-09-2011, 03:42
At 1500 pts I'm not sure the gnoblars will be able to kill enough with their dangerous terrain tests to get back their points. I'd definitely look to drop the scrappy since your blocks are large enough to handle the opponents big blocks.

Maybe drop all but 1 of the gnoblars to get another mournfang, upgrade the scrappy to ironblaster, standard on Ogres, and dispel scroll on butcher.

Gorthaur
21-09-2011, 05:18
At 1500 pts I'm not sure the gnoblars will be able to kill enough with their dangerous terrain tests to get back their points. I'd definitely look to drop the scrappy since your blocks are large enough to handle the opponents big blocks.

Maybe drop all but 1 of the gnoblars to get another mournfang, upgrade the scrappy to ironblaster, standard on Ogres, and dispel scroll on butcher.

I was going to use the Gnoblars as speed bumps to slow opponents down. And not field them as serious killers. I will look into working an Ironblaster into the list I keep hearing good things about it. I want to avoid spending so much money, I dont think the 40 bucks is worth an extra Mournfang. I will revise the list with these suggestions in mind though. I do have a certain budget with money, im trying to not needlessly spend. I am not too experienced with the game at all, so I try and keep away from involving too much magic.

Gorthaur
21-09-2011, 05:19
Revised Again.

--Heroes:

Ogre Bruiser-134 points
w/heavy armor and Giantbreaker (big name)
Ironfist

Ogre Butcher-102 points
w/additional hand weapon

--Core Units:

8 Ogre Bulls-291 points
w/ Crusher/Bellower/Standard (with lookout Gnoblar)
Ironfists

6 Ogre Ironguts-318 points
w/Dragonhide banner and Bellower

10 Gnoblars- 50 points
w/trappers

10 Gnoblars- 50 points
w/trappers

10 Gnoblars- 50 points
w/trappers

--Special Units:

4 Leadbelchers-182 points
w/Bellower

2 Mournfang Cavalry- 153
w/heavy armor/crusher/bellower/ironfists

--Rare Units:

Ironblaster-170

Total: 1500 points

Gorthaur
21-09-2011, 19:57
Revised again, im hoping this will be my final iteration of the list:

--Heroes:

Ogre Bruiser-134 points
w/heavy armor/and Sword of Might
Ironfist

Ogre Butcher-137 points
w/additional hand weapon/Lvl 2 Wizard

--Core Units:

8 Ogre Bulls-291 points
w/ Crusher/Bellower/Standard (with lookout Gnoblar)
Ironfists

6 Ogre Ironguts-328 points
w/Dragonhide banner and Bellower/and Gutlord

10 Gnoblars- 50 points
w/trappers

10 Gnoblars- 50 points
w/trappers

--Special Units:

4 Leadbelchers-182 points
w/Bellower

2 Mournfang Cavalry- 153 points
w/heavy armor/bellower/Ironfists/Crusher

--Rare Units:

Ironblaster-170 points

Total: 1495

OgreWargaming
21-09-2011, 22:22
I think a dispel scroll is important on your butcher. So you might consider dropping the unit champions from the guts and ogres to make the points available for it (if you dont want to drop the other gnoblars). Also, generally a standard bearer is going to be more useful than a crusher on the mournfangs.

cheers.