PDA

View Full Version : Ogre Question

Goldenwolf
19-09-2011, 19:59
Gents,

(01). When rolling for the Ironblaster, do you roll 2 dice for both rolls of the cannon?

(02). If you take the LD banner with the unit your General is in, does his Inspiring Presence get that as well?

(03). Leadbelchers can still fire in 2 Ranks, correct?

(04). When using the Firebelly, can he use his breath weapon in Close Combat, and his attacks?

(05). At what initiative does the Dragon banner strike at with the Breath Weapon? The bearer?

(06). Leadbelchers and Ironblasters can move not march and still shoot, correct?

Any polite responses would be appreciated.

narrativium
19-09-2011, 20:06
1. No. One dice for the impact point/misfire, two to see how far it bounces and pick the highest. No model gets hit more than once; the Ironblaster is just more reliable at hitting more people than a normal cannon.

2. Yes (it's in the main rulebook FAQ).

3. Yes (it's a shooting attack).

4. See the rules for Breath Weapons.

5. The bearer.

6. Correct. Of course, the Ironblaster's a chariot so it can never march...

Avian
19-09-2011, 20:13
Only skirmishers can march and shoot and the Ogre army doesn't have any of those anymore.

Goldenwolf
19-09-2011, 21:30
Thank You Gentlemen

AMWOOD co
20-09-2011, 02:13
Only skirmishers can march and shoot and the Ogre army doesn't have any of those anymore.

Skirmishers and Fast Cavalry, actually. And Ogres have neither.

Andy p
20-09-2011, 08:08
(05). At what initiative does the Dragon banner strike at with the Breath Weapon? The bearer?

The bearer.

Even though I already knew this, I still think it's a bit of a shame. It makes using it in combat for the ASL less effective. :cries:

Mercules
20-09-2011, 14:20
It has a lasting effect. You won't have it ASL THAT turn likely, but next round of combat should go your way. Works well when you have a good chance of winning on the charge but then they will be Steadfast and likely to win on the second round unless you strike first.

Mr_Rose
20-09-2011, 16:02
Also, if you are setting up a multiple charge or something, remember that you can use a breath weapon in either player's close combat phase; use it in the enemy's CC round to effectively get two full rounds of combat out of it, yours and the one before the end of their next turn.
Of course, for that to work it's best left until you find a combat that you expect to last that long.

Or you can use it outside of combat to discourage a charge and also to inflict a bunch of S3 hits because it also causes damage (as a sort of bonus special effect)... :P

Andy p
21-09-2011, 13:04
It has a lasting effect. You won't have it ASL THAT turn likely, but next round of combat should go your way. Works well when you have a good chance of winning on the charge but then they will be Steadfast and likely to win on the second round unless you strike first.

Yeah, I know, but against something like swordmasters, id really like to hit them first with it so at least it would be going at the same time.....or something, depending on what people have ruled with high elven SOA.

I suppose I could shoot it into a unit im about to charge.....

T10
21-09-2011, 15:16
You have something in the Ogre Army that can attack at the same Initiative as a Swordmaster?

stainawarjar
21-09-2011, 15:19
You have something in the Ogre Army that can attack at the same Initiative as a Swordmaster?

Sure, a character with a Potion of Speed or the Gold Sigil Sword :p

stonehorse
21-09-2011, 15:22
The only way that is possible is via a magic item on characters.

Scammel
21-09-2011, 15:53
Most of the army can attack before Swordmasters - it's called impact hits.

wbravenboer
22-09-2011, 11:02
Perhaps someone can tell this for certain; when having a Thundertusk next to my unit of Ironguts, enemy gets ASL, do the Ironguts hit at the same time as the enemy? (Always strike Last) or is it different?

narrativium
22-09-2011, 11:16
All 'Always Strikes Last' attacks occur simultaneously (otherwise some of them wouldn't be last).

So, for example: your Ironguts and the Thundertusk charge an enemy unit which doesn't have any Always Strikes First models in. You would resolve: 1) Impact Hits 2) attacks of the Thundertusk, and any enemy models more than 6" from the Thundertusk, in Initiative order 3) Ironguts, enemies within 6" of the Thundertusk, Stomp and Thunderstomp attacks simultaneously.

wbravenboer
22-09-2011, 11:57
I thought so, but wanted some confirmation. For a strange reason everybody seems to want to charge the ogres immediately. ;)
Last week the Stonehorn got a nice charge on a unit of Bret Knights... wiped them out even before attacks!

Mr_Rose
22-09-2011, 12:11
Well there is the thing about Stonehorns not getting to use their actual Attacks on the turn they charge, but yeah that's kinda the point of their insane number of impact hits.

T10
22-09-2011, 14:02
Perhaps someone can tell this for certain; when having a Thundertusk next to my unit of Ironguts, enemy gets ASL, do the Ironguts hit at the same time as the enemy? (Always strike Last) or is it different?

Under normal circumstances, yes: The enemy will gain the Always Strike Last rule, the same rule that the Iron Guts have due to their great weapons' special rules and the same that determines when they get to make their Stomp attacks.

However, if the enemy has the Always Strike First special rule this is cancelled by ASL and they will attack in Initiative order instead.

-T10

wbravenboer
22-09-2011, 14:13
Is this something from a FAQ or in the Rulebook? We did have a argument about this about Always Strike First and Always Strike Last. With those pesky High Elves you never know...

Mr_Rose
22-09-2011, 14:20
It's in the rules for Always Strikes Last, which are directly after the rules for Always Strikes First.

And should your HE player attempt tp point out the "regardless of the weapon" clause in the Speed of Asuryan rule, remind them that a Thundertusk is not a weapon that an elf can wield.

Far2Casual
23-09-2011, 14:33
remind them that a Thundertusk is not a weapon that an elf can wield.

Wahahaha, that made my day :D