PDA

View Full Version : Word Bearers,Thousand Sons, Alpha Legion or DIY?

DruchiiMagic
20-09-2011, 03:01
Im trying to decide which Legion to go forward with.

Word Bearers: Awesome concept, Chaos Marines that summon demons to do their work for them, great symbol, not a fan of the red. I also dislike extremely religious armies, so that's a negative for me here.

Alpha Legion: Black ops. Chaos Marines that use all tools against the Imperium. I love the color scheme and symbol(the hydra goes hand in hand with my Dark Elves) Not really religious, more guerrilla fighters.

Thousand Sons: I love magic, and Thousand Sons have a lot of it. Love the color scheme but the symbol is meh. The Egyptian symbols are cool, but I feel playing this faction pretty much limits a player to Rubrics and Psykers or it would be unfluffy. I would consider using Sorceror/Demon dioramas here to simulate Obliterators.

My own DIY Chapter: It would be a Tzeentchian chapter, focused on spell casting, demon summoning, and being sneaky. (pretty much the above 3 chapters rolled into one) . Though Rubrics wouldn't make sense really, which is sad.

Mit Gas
20-09-2011, 03:29

Word Bearers: Awesome concept, Chaos Marines that summon demons to do their work for them, great symbol, not a fan of the red. I also dislike extremely religious armies, so that's a negative for me here.

Alpha Legion: Black ops. Chaos Marines that use all tools against the Imperium. I love the color scheme and symbol(the hydra goes hand in hand with my Dark Elves) Not really religious, more guerrilla fighters.

Thousand Sons: I love magic, and Thousand Sons have a lot of it. Love the color scheme but the symbol is meh. The Egyptian symbols are cool, but I feel playing this faction pretty much limits a player to Rubrics and Psykers or it would be unfluffy. I would consider using Sorceror/Demon dioramas here to simulate Obliterators.

My own DIY Chapter: It would be a Tzeentchian chapter, focused on spell casting, demon summoning, and being sneaky. (pretty much the above 3 chapters rolled into one) . Though Rubrics wouldn't make sense really, which is sad.

Your army could be the personal warband of a Thousand Sons Sorcerer who wasn't happy with Magnus' ways and decided to break away and form his own faction. That way you could have rubrics (his bodyguard from before) and all other kinds of stuff - just hired followers or tzeentchian Chaos Space Marines... I mostly have TS but if I feel like doing something different, my TS Sorcerer just hires new lackeys... ;)

Mannimarco
20-09-2011, 03:38
Word Bearers - easy enough to do with the current dex. Sadly the lesser daemons just arnt really that good a choice.

Alpha Legion - Hard to make a fluffy list with them in the current dex due to lack of cultists. Ok so you can spam chosen but then again so can everybody, theres nothing uniquely Alpha Legion.

Thousand Sons - They may have the magic but its inferior to almost everything else in the game with psyker powers, this combined with the fact that they are damn expensive (mandatory sorcerer) means your army will more often than not be outnumbered, your psykers will be outclassed by almost everybody else and your fancy AP3 bolters mean nothing in a game where a 4+ cover save is all to common.

My advice - Alpha Legion and use this (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/i/IA5_RH.pdf) army list to do it. It was better in the book where the AL squad were chosen and not just standard marines. Heres (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/i/IA5_RHFAQ.pdf) the update for the list.

DruchiiMagic
20-09-2011, 12:02
Mit Gas - That might be an idea. Thousand Sons with Oracles of Change allies.

Mannimarco - Really like the Alpha Legion list you linked there, but I doubt it would fly with my group. I don't play tournaments though, so maybe they will let me. I'll have to ask.

gutsmaka
20-09-2011, 12:50
ever since soulstorm I found a new respect for word bearers:D

Mannimarco
20-09-2011, 16:14
Mannimarco - Really like the Alpha Legion list you linked there, but I doubt it would fly with my group. I don't play tournaments though, so maybe they will let me. I'll have to ask.

You should ask.

Whilst its arguably the weakest of the 3 renegade lists its still pretty fun and gives the game some much needed variety. One can only play the same people using the same lists over and over before it gets a bit "samey".

Failing that if you dont like the list you could always try Arkos in your CSM army for a real Alpha Legion lord.

AlphariusOmegon20
20-09-2011, 16:27
Trust me Druchii, listen to the clown.

He knows what he's talking about.

witchunter180
20-09-2011, 19:51
1k Sons FTW!!! I do like the Word Bearers a little more than the black legion though. Am curious why you didn't include DG in the poll?

laudarkul
20-09-2011, 20:44
Alpha Legion...And you can play them also using codex SM ;)....

DruchiiMagic
20-09-2011, 21:02
Death Guard aren't included because I prefer Tzeentch and I dislike Nurgle. In fact on the Chaos God scale, I'm probably major interest in Tzeentch, minor interest in Slaanesh.

I really like Alpha Legion and Thousand Sons though. However, I may go against the poll and do a DIY renegade chapter. Less pain and more options when they start changing the codex around. As the above poster mentions, a DIY can use either dex as well.

DruchiiMagic
20-09-2011, 23:37
Looks like Alpha Legion is running in the front of the pack. I've re-evaluated the DIY renegade chapter, and I was going to use the Word Bearers symbol with some changes for the Howling Demons. However, after looking at an image of the transfer, I may go for Alpha Legion again.

I just really hope the Legions book supposedly coming doesnt hose me completely.

witchunter180
21-09-2011, 03:46
Okay. I guess if you really want to get technical (at least fluff-wise) Alpha legion would be the way to go, as... well, you know the joke :) But whatever floats your boats.

Chainaxe07
21-09-2011, 11:12
hello, well, if you dont like "religious" chaos marines justgonight lords.
They are the least mutant of the pack, and do not care about the whole chaos thing, not even one bit. The few marked lords (or those that have ascended to daemonhood) have their own fair share of trouble getting some respect from their fellow marines, even underlings.
If you want to stick to traitor legions, and want a non religious force,go for them.

AlphariusOmegon20
21-09-2011, 16:07
hello, well, if you dont like "religious" chaos marines justgonight lords.
They are the least mutant of the pack, and do not care about the whole chaos thing, not even one bit. The few marked lords (or those that have ascended to daemonhood) have their own fair share of trouble getting some respect from their fellow marines, even underlings.
If you want to stick to traitor legions, and want a non religious force,go for them.

AL fits that bill also.

Gerod253
21-09-2011, 21:40
Go for Thousand Sons and then use the metal bits of the set to convert any kind of unit you want. It would be very striking on the table.

Edit to add; What I mean is make a DIY style army including whatever units you want and then make them using the Thousand Sons kits. Call it a Pre Heresy army if people get up in arms that your marines aren't 'rubrics'. :)

Threeshades
21-09-2011, 21:58
I'm pathologically creative so I voted DIY even before reading the OP. But yeah, if you like all three things, use all three things.

Da Black Gobbo
21-09-2011, 22:08
With Alpha legion you could use Loyalist Marines codex, it suits them pretty nicely, and cultists could be represented by the scouts. Korsarro gives everyone outflank,kinda fluffy as the Alpha legion strikes from unespected places.

Charistoph
22-09-2011, 05:55
I'm pathologically creative so I voted DIY even before reading the OP. But yeah, if you like all three things, use all three things.

Pretty much the same here. I did read the OP first, though.

My own warband will be mostly a "classic" build of Space Marines, but I will be including one unit of Rubrics. These Rubric Marines are not actually Thousand Sons, but Marines that have fallen or other Marines captured during their fights. They are then "converted" with a very localized and less powerful Rubric to create a unit of recyclable Marines to help keep their numbers up.

And yes, I have daemons (using Chaos Warhound models) to back them up, too.

samiens
22-09-2011, 13:54
Its chaos good sir! The true pleasure of it is that you can paint a bit of each and field them all together (seriously hoping chaos legions maintains this). Personally my horde has Death Guard, Black Legion and Emperors Children and think ill add some Word Bearers for fun

DeeKay
22-09-2011, 18:13

So you like the idea, but you don't like the idea... okay. If you don't like the red then the chances are you won't enjoy painting them, therfore they won't get done. Pre-heresy grey might be an idea.

This snippet looks promising, especially from a modelling and painting viewpoint.

It is painfully true that it is virtually impossible to create viable themed lists with the current CSM codex, there is little reason to constrain yourself like this. Marks of Tzeentch make Chaos Lords, Terminators and Possessed more viable options in their own right with regards to the game, so I wouldn't automatically snub such choices.

Rubrics can make sense in any Chaos army. It all depends on how you spin it. For example, an Iron Warrior warband has a small hardcore trench-fighter unit. Since these guys have been constantly shot at, their bodies have been heavily augmented with bionics. Or the Death Guard warband that includes some Marines afflicted with Maddening Brainpox to represent Berzerkers. It's up to you.

Of all the options you have presented, I would probably go with the Alpha Legion since you seem to enjoy their paint scheme and with a few DElf bits, you can create a few striking personalities as well.

With regards,
Dan.

DruchiiMagic
22-09-2011, 23:24
Yeah Alpha Legion really pulls me, but my love of magic moves me towards TzeentchLike Ive mentioned I've also considered a DIY painted white with a Demon Head as the symbol (similar to Word Bearers) called the Howling Demons and partial to Tzeentch.