PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a FUN army!

Galacticz
20-09-2011, 15:08
Alright, my searching still hasn't ceased. At this point I see myself looking for an army I am going to have fun with. I would like this army to be decent on the table, but painting and fun game-play take precedence.

I am stuck between OnG and Skaven.

What do you guys think is the most fun army to play in WHFB?

I like CC and Magic, and I prefer the mentality of Orcs to Skaven, but I dont know, I love Skaven's fluff and the versatility the four major clans bring to the table. Plus you gotta love HPA's and Lightning cannons.

Help me out guys!

Memnos
20-09-2011, 15:10
Beastmen! They are every bit as brutal as Orcs, as savagely animalistic as Skaven and have the giant beasts you're looking for. And when you cluster around a Herdstone, you'll see how powerful the magic phase is.

I've had comments from Elven players like, "I had no idea how powerful Beastmen were magically."

Thénon
20-09-2011, 15:15
*grumble grumble* 3 lvl 1 shamans and a power dice giving tree! filth i tell you!

anyhoo if your split between those to armies i`d say flip a coin. you obviously like the fluff of both and they play similiar.

I play pure NG myself :D

martijn
20-09-2011, 15:19
well... they're both nuts to play with xD

Personally, I vote orcs.
they're great fun to paint if you ask me,

Tayrod
20-09-2011, 15:30
Painting:
Painting orcs can be really fun, especially savage orcs. Just spray them white, vash them goblin green, and then devlan mud, throw in some highlights, and you're done in no time. You've also got a lot of variety. You can paint animals, orc skin, metal/armour troll flesh, spiders, etc. While my HE army is all white, blue, and silver. My orcs can use every colour on the palette.. :D

Game Wise
Orcs are also a lot stronger then Skaven in combat, and I also like greenskin magic alot better then skaven (barring the dreaded 13th). You also get a huge amount of options which is never bad.

Galacticz
20-09-2011, 16:54
Sounds good guys! I have always preferred orcs anyways! I noticed skaven have a few really good books detailing alot about them, especially the WHRP Book; Children of the Horned Rat.. absolutely fantastic read! Do orcs have any similar books jam packed with fluff and whatnot?

TheMadMarquis
20-09-2011, 17:11
I would add that Orcs are just as flexible as Skaven if not more so. They can do warmachines, monsters, and horde infantry as well, but they can also do fast and heavy cavalry, chariots, Fanatics, and genuinely tough melee fighters like Black Orcs and Savage Big 'Uns. I always have fun playing Greenies, even when they successfully Foot of Gork my entire infantry line into little bits. I'm not sure I can say that about any other army.

Sexiest_hero
20-09-2011, 17:51
Beastmen or orks. they are the two most fun armies in WHFB to me. I bought some skaven thinking they would be fun. When people see skaven they groan, as they are one of the top armies. They seem to have two units, slaves and hell pit abominations. Both tend to not be fun for people to deal with. Add that to every online thread to end up talking about slave units and you end up with an army that's not half as "fun" as OnG or Beastmen.

calnen
20-09-2011, 18:36
Another vote for Orcs and Goblins here. They're my 'fun' army :)

You just have to enjoy watching half your troops charge into the other half, and your wizards make themselves puke instead of casting spells from time to time ;-)

tarrym
20-09-2011, 18:53
If you can have a good laugh after a turn of rolling misfires, and 11-12 for steadfast Ld10 break tests then Skaven are a great choice to go for :)

Jind_Singh
20-09-2011, 18:59
Orcs & Goblins (And I collect BOTH armies and love BOTH armies so take it from me!)

Why?

Models

Skaven have got some excellent models, especially any of their new kits. HOWEVER their old kits suck mints - I'm looking at any Clan Eshin stuff, their Rat Ogres (new ones from Island of blood are ace), even the Plague Monks are a bit dated compared to the newer Clan Rats/Storm Vermin.

Compare this to the Orcs and Goblins range were even our older models are frickin awesome - Squigs, herders, Squig Hoppers, are some of our older models. Even the really old models have stood the test of time - Orc Boyz, Goblins (common) are not as flashy as the newer Savage Orcs but still decent and full of character.
We also have pretty much a complete model range bar 2 special characters and Mangler Squigs - now that sounds whatever. But you have to understand that we have THE MOST NUMBER OF UNIT entries for any army book (maybe Warriors of Chaos book is close, and Empire).
We also have the sick and sexy Arachnarok spider AND River Trolls AND Giant AND.....insert other really cool kits that you'll love to collect/build/paint.

Painting

We have way more variety when it comes to painting thanks to the sheer number of units we can field. And the great thing is everyone has Greenskin - so the army always looks unified even if each unit has it's own paint scheme!

Our models are so much fun to paint too as they have so many quirky details - and are fairly easy to paint. You can simply basecoat and wash to get a unit table top ready....or spend hours on a model making it Golden Daemon ready.

New & Shiny

We have a brand new and shiny 8th Ed book - the Skaven don't! We have new spell lores, balanced book, great things all round!

Collecting

You'll be able to collect Orcs & Goblins until the cows come home, make their cup of tea, and raise a family!!!! The options are endless and we have WAY more variety than Skaven for list building (Who are quite diverse but are limited after a while)

Skaven

Clanrat heavy
Beast heavy
Assassin Heavy
Storm Vermin Heavy
Shooting heavy
Plague monk heavy
Slave heavy

Orcs & Goblins

Pure Orcs
Pure Savage Orcs
Feral army with Savages/Spider Riders
Black Orc heavy
Common Goblins
Night Goblins
Mixed Goblins
Mixed Orcs & Goblins
All infantry
All mounted
All shooting
Monster heavy (You can throw in Giants/Spiders/Trolls/Wyverns and more into a single list)
Magic Heavy

Game play

We can play fun lists, we can play nasty lists - the great thing is just throw together anything and it'll work! I just turn up at games, see what's actually painted and throw it on the table.
Go horde, go elite, go bananas!

Closing arguments

Just do it for Morks sake! No one has more fun than an Orcs & Goblins player other than people playing them! The book can be extremely effective when you get the hang of both Warhammer and playing with Greenskins, indeed few armies can best or equal a well played ONG army. The army book itself lends to a fun and sunny disposition, and generally I find my opponents get sad when they see me bring out my other armies - infact I feel guilty a lot of the times as I just really want to play ONG all the time but I owe it to the other armies to use them once in a while!

Good luck!

Nubl0
20-09-2011, 19:04
I play both and I must say skaven, the hellpit itself is fun even if it is filth! The rest of the army is fun to use what with the mental war machines and weapon crews. Plus I don't know why but I love the feeling when somones killy death unit gets stuck fight my slaves for the whole game while I pick him apart :P

Mallo
20-09-2011, 19:12
Everything Jind just said PLUS if you get sick of playing OnG even with all the amazing choices they have, its so easy to use goblins as a 'count-as' army. There's one amazing thread where the chap has made both bretonnians and empire armies out of goblins. Ive seen some pretty nice 'undead' goblin units too.

Though nothing in this game beats watching your pump wagons and fanatics run over and mow down more of your own troops then your opponents!

fusionmonkey
20-09-2011, 19:16
i think vampires are sooooo fun.

there mono build army maybe seen as a bit boring but whats more fun that winning!!!!!!!!;)

popisdead
20-09-2011, 20:45
Skaven is more random and very fun to play that way. The high pay off items and such. however they have some very powerful tools at their disposal also.

O&G are more balanced and you really have to play them with a sense that your units will betray with with animosity rolls once in a while.

My vote would be Beastmen also :p

GenerationTerrorist
20-09-2011, 22:35
Another vote for Greenskins, here.
I just love playing against them. The games are just full of utter random moments of stupidity that make everyone laugh their backsides off. If you are worried about it, then also let me say that they are a competitive army and can take on anything with a good chance of winning.
Plus, IMHO, they have THE perfect Army Book in terms of internal balance - No one list is better than the other, and no unit is a must-have or never-pick. This contrasts heavily with the Skaven book where several units are pretty much never used and many lists look quite similar in my experience.

There is also no army, apart maybe from Warriors of Chaos, where there are more abundant opportunities for unique conversions and unit-fillers to make your army stand out.

Go for it, and you will love every minute of your gaming with them :-)

Zoolander
21-09-2011, 00:13
Skaven for sure. You have interesting rules and models, a fun background story, and the sheer randomness of their power makes the game fun every time. Orcs can't compare to that.

Galacticz
21-09-2011, 03:14
I picked up the Orc and Goblin book today, and it looks fantastic. But what I really liked about Skaven was the fact i could delve so deeply into their fluff simply because of a single book: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay's Children of the Horned Rat: A Guide to Skaven. THis is by far the most fantastic book on fluff I have ever seen or read. It allowed me to get so deeply pumped for Skaven it was silly.

But! My heart has always been with the greenskins, and I would have more fun painting my Greenskins than Skaven, and thats half the battle. But I was really hoping that I could find a book out there that had really indepth fluff on Orcs, similar to the Skaven book I just stated.

Are there any? Skaven have two really good ones: The Children of the Horned Rat, and The Loathsome Ratmen: And all their Vile Kin. If Skaven's fluff is getting this much attention, Orcs should've gotten at least half! For god's sake they are one of the most diverse and fluff armies out there, plus they are one of GW's Primary!

Help me out guise!

Jind_Singh
21-09-2011, 08:02
Honestly there is no book written from the ONG perspective - they just figure in other army book histories - the reason being I guess from a writing stand point of view it's hard to get character development from a Greenskin perspective.

Vampires have dark and interesting back stories, as do agents of Chaos, Empire, Skaven, but some races don't lend well to narrative.

The best source are the stories in the various army books for Orcs & Goblins over the years, Heldenhammer was also a good one (Vol. 1 of the Sigmar trilogy) as though the Greenskins feature just here and there, they are the ultimate drivers behind the plot.

I'll have to think and mull this over and see if I can find a good source for you!

lisaundead
21-09-2011, 09:47
Well, I have never played either Skaven or OnG but some of the best and most fun games Ive ever had were played AGAINST the greenies, so my vote would have to go for them, me thinks :p

mrtn
21-09-2011, 09:50
Models

Skaven have got some excellent models, especially any of their new kits. HOWEVER their old kits suck mints - I'm looking at any Clan Eshin stuff, their Rat Ogres (new ones from Island of blood are ace), even the Plague Monks are a bit dated compared to the newer Clan Rats/Storm Vermin.

Compare this to the Orcs and Goblins range were even our older models are frickin awesome - Squigs, herders, Squig Hoppers, are some of our older models. Even the really old models have stood the test of time - Orc Boyz, Goblins (common) are not as flashy as the newer Savage Orcs but still decent and full of character.
We also have pretty much a complete model range bar 2 special characters and Mangler Squigs - now that sounds whatever. But you have to understand that we have THE MOST NUMBER OF UNIT entries for any army book (maybe Warriors of Chaos book is close, and Empire).
We also have the sick and sexy Arachnarok spider AND River Trolls AND Giant AND.....insert other really cool kits that you'll love to collect/build/paint.
Huh, why do you slag off the Eshin units? Yes, the night runners look bad, but they're only one of them, both gutter runners and assassins look good from any era (IMNSHO).
And then you don't even mention the common goblins, which is one of the oldest and ugliest kits in the game. :p The same with the wolf riders, and even if the orcs got a new packaging they certainly didn't get any better looking models.
Yes, there are some cool looking O&G units, but when you compare core models I'd say the skaven comes out on top. With a knife in your back. ;)

I also don't see what's wrong with the plague monks? They're a fine kit with loads of fun gubbins on the sprues.

@OP: Start one army now, and the other in four years time. :D Unless you follow the advice of my bestial brethen, of course. ;)

SVKBaki
21-09-2011, 15:44
Certainly avoid beastmen, probably most boring, uninspiring release, with one style if you dont want to have your army washed away in turn 4-5, their models are subpar to orcs or skaven, rares are just laugh, fluff is retarded, definitely stay away, probably worst own magic lore.

Either choice from OnG or Skaven is viable, they have the most random and specific rules and I think are the most fun. Beastmen are fun if you are masochist (no offence :D )

I think decide with your wallet and like-factor of the models, you wont be wrong with any army from these two ;)

Garion
21-09-2011, 15:48
OGRES all the way, the unit count is small so easy to build, they are great models especially some of the new ones. They are the best army to do big conversions on too and they are easy to paint to a high standard.

Gameplay wise they are fairly straight forward and fun.

The most fun armies are still pure goblin armies mind, no question, but the unit count is HUGE

ArtificerArmour
21-09-2011, 17:46
Mono daemons. Khorne's straight forward and choppy!

Seriously, pick anything with a theme. I do, it saves all the head scratching about "tactics". I like to make a theme, then work as best as possible to bend the said theme!

fish1899
21-09-2011, 19:30
Hi all,

I am Just getting into Warhammer myself. I am trying to decide between three armies; Lizardmen, Dark Elves, and Vampire Counts. I want to be able to do a little of everything. I don't have any real experience with Warhammer except watching a few games at an open game night. I don't mean to hijack a thread but I am new to warseer and cannot open my own thread. Any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks,

Fish1899

CrystalSphere
21-09-2011, 19:48
Hi all,

I am Just getting into Warhammer myself. I am trying to decide between three armies; Lizardmen, Dark Elves, and Vampire Counts. I want to be able to do a little of everything. I don't have any real experience with Warhammer except watching a few games at an open game night. I don't mean to hijack a thread but I am new to warseer and cannot open my own thread. Any pointers are appreciated.

Thanks,

Fish1899

Welcome!

Of those 3 armies you mentioned, i think the ones capable of doing a bit of everything in each phase of the game are dark elves and lizardmen. Vampire counts require a very different approach, as they are undead, and rely a lot on their general and on magic. They are definitely not a beginner´s army.

Between dark elves and lizardmen, i would advise to go with what you like most the fluff or miniatures, consider that you will spend a lot of time painting them. Anyway both of those armies are in good shape right now, so there is not a big difference.

I would recommend dark elves because i think you will learn the game better with them, and they are powerful enough that you can afford to make a few mistakes and not lose the game because of it (unlike say, tomb kings), so it is a good army to start out if you like them.

Torga_DW
21-09-2011, 20:35
I suggest an army that has a giant in it. Giants are fun, and also decent in close combat. Just my 2 cents.

Sexiest_hero
21-09-2011, 21:10
Vampare counts, they just got new models and rules that are great. They make a great theme, and you don't have to worry about hard things like panic and fleeing. Just keep your leader safe.

popisdead
21-09-2011, 21:30
Seriously, pick anything with a theme. I do, it saves all the head scratching about "tactics". I like to make a theme, then work as best as possible to bend the said theme!

That's a way of playing people should explore more. Rather than worry about being a strategic player, just pick what you like first, paint those and learn the army/game at low levels.

Student
21-09-2011, 21:48
I'd vote for Orcs and Goblins because Skaven don't have Fanatics, Doom Divers or Squigs.

Turtleking
22-09-2011, 00:35
My son plays Skaven, I play O-G. He likes me army for fun factor. I like my army for fun factor.

I just don't see the joy in tarpiting with slaves and hitting with warpfire. It's effective, but boring.

Galacticz
22-09-2011, 04:08
I love the Ork book, now I just want people's opinion on how OnG is the funnest army!

MrCarbohydrate
22-09-2011, 04:15

This. I love converting Empire and other human models to make other humany armies. Yes, this involves using a lot of older models, like the old Dogs of War. One of these days, the Tilea army will be finished!

Anyways, as far as fun to play, I borrowed a Skaven army and they're a riot. I have a Night Goblin army, and they're fun, but kind of repetitive. That said, I haven't added anything to them. But they'd be a lot more fun to paint than Skaven unless you really, really like Brown.