PDA

View Full Version : What is the Craziest combo you can make

igwarlord
20-09-2011, 15:42
So friend and I are looking at going to a tourny nearby at the end of next month and after reading the rules today we are absolutly drooling over the possibilities and i thought since warseer is the #1 place for awesome ideas i would post the rules to see what people come up with

The game is a team tourny of 1250pts EACH 1 hq 1 troop min EACH
each player must use a different codex
each player must take 1 unit from any other codex than those already being used each
so 4 codex total
2 for player 1
2 different for player 2

so our idea was a vet/vendetta list being led by sanguinary priests allied with wych;s in raiders with a broadside backup

(space to put down actual lists when i have time)

anyone else able to come up with something just as sick and fun

DuskRaider
20-09-2011, 15:47
I still think Nurgle Chaos Space Marines allied w/ Nurgle Chaos Daemons led by Epidemius is the craziest. Kill 20 enemies and everything ignores armor. Everything. Not to mention having 3+ FNP and a bunch of other goodies.

igwarlord
20-09-2011, 15:53
but that does not fulfill the criteria

you MUST take 1 unit from other codexs not already used

so you have to have 4 codex in each list

Tay051173096
20-09-2011, 15:56
I still think Nurgle Chaos Space Marines allied w/ Nurgle Chaos Daemons led by Epidemius is the craziest. Kill 20 enemies and everything ignores armor. Everything. Not to mention having 3+ FNP and a bunch of other goodies.

You sir are a bad man...

hq
2 big meks

elite
3 marine dreads (various)

Troops
2 ork dreads
2 marine tactic squads

Fast
ork bikes
marine bikes

Heavy
20 Havocs with autocannons in battlewagon
1 free slot...

Mannimarco
20-09-2011, 15:58

Works for me.

Throw in a few blight drones and plague hulks for even more Nurgle aligned blasts and you will rack up the tally quick.

Russell's teapot
20-09-2011, 16:02
Main codex: GK
Non codex unit: Eldar
2nd player main codex: SM

Banshees charging out of a storm raven/land raider crusader with an attached chaplain and GK Techmarine/inquisitor with those T modifying grenades?

Bunnahabhain
20-09-2011, 16:06
Do cross codex buffs etc work?

So, for instance, could you drop Eldrad into a Guard list, and guide, fortune doom, etc stuff? or doesn't that work as the farseer buffs, by RAW, only work on Eldar.

I'd be looking at Guard and wolves as the lead players. BA F.N.P. priests, and ...some random cheap marine speeders as the 4th. Even fairly fluffy.

igwarlord
20-09-2011, 16:08
Do cross codex buffs etc work?

So, for instance, could you drop Eldrad into a Guard list, and guide, fortune doom, etc stuff? or doesn't that work as the farseer buffs, by RAW, only work on Eldar.

I'd be looking at Guard and wolves as the lead players. BA F.N.P. priests, and ...some random cheap marine speeders as the 4th. Even fairly fluffy.

asked the organizer that same question and he says as long as it is not specific about who can be effected then it does work cross codex

example fortune says eldar model so only eldar can be effected same with monolith teleport but the sang priest says nearby unit so ANY unit is effected like all those wyches will be

GrogDaTyrant
20-09-2011, 16:09
Casting Fortune on a unit of Storm-Shield Thunderwolves would take my vote as 'most ridiculous thing to deal with'.

GingerBalls
20-09-2011, 16:10
How about Kaldor and and Archon leading paladins and wyches, backed up by death company with some eldar fire prisms or fire dragons.

I really like the OP's though.

Finn
20-09-2011, 17:16
Main codex: GK
Non codex unit: Eldar
2nd player main codex: SM

Banshees charging out of a storm raven/land raider crusader with an attached chaplain and GK Techmarine/inquisitor with those T modifying grenades?

Not to mention Hammerhand, which says "all models in the unit", right?

RobPro
20-09-2011, 17:22
Deceiver + battle psyker squad, everything else is gravy.

jbennie
20-09-2011, 17:31
a squad of bloodletters attacking from a land raider

Arhalius
20-09-2011, 17:43
Vulkan and some marines partying up with celestine and some sisters. . If your rules let Vulkans flamer/melta buff work with both armies then thats going to be pretty badass

Mannimarco
20-09-2011, 18:05
Vulkan and some marines partying up with celestine and some sisters. . If your rules let Vulkans flamer/melta buff work with both armies then thats going to be pretty badass

Depends if we are going strictly RAW. According to Vulkans special rule if you include him then all your units lose the combat tactics special rule and instead get twin linked flamer and melta weapons. Since SOB dont have combat tactics they cant lose it so they cant get the fancy flamer and melta weapons.

ColShaw
20-09-2011, 19:25
GW's fast-and-loose terminology, inconsistent between books, suggests that this will be a rules lawyering nightmare. :(

Borgnine
20-09-2011, 19:44
Casting Fortune on a unit of Storm-Shield Thunderwolves would take my vote as 'most ridiculous thing to deal with'.

Yep, this is pretty much the most ridiculous thing you can come up with I'd say.

Gaargod
20-09-2011, 19:53
It will always go badly for rules lawyering!

However, if Fateweaver doesn't turn up in at least 1 army (probably with TH/SS termies in a bubble around him, colour me amazed.
I'd imagine GK rad/psycho grenades will be pretty common.
Sanguinary priests are practically mandatory. Imagine them with DCA for extra giggles.

Work stuff out for efficiency. Broadsides are great at providing long range fire support, but they're not cheap at 70pts a model before (mandatory) upgrades for 1 shot, so will a dreadnought with 2 TL autocannons and psybolt ammo do the job?. Stormravens/land raiders are great assault vehicles, but if it doesn't *need* to live, why not a cheaper raider/venom?

Can you use another codex's vehicle? Like putting marines in a raider? (Purifiers from a raider spring to mind).

Draconis
20-09-2011, 20:57

He beat me to it. I'd then throw in something dirt cheap to fufill your other codex criteria. yeah, blight drones would be insane. As would the nurgle greater daemon that throws around the 2+ wounding AP2 blast.

ColShaw
20-09-2011, 21:18
With all the ridiculous Invulnerable saves around, I think a Vindicare Assassin might be a good choice.

Bunnahabhain
20-09-2011, 21:31
I'm sure Manticores and vendettas will make an apperance- they are some of the best units in the game, and often very efficient at what they do. I'd take them over Broadsides any day of the week.

The cheap command squad and mechanised veteran to unlock them are also very good, cheap, choices .

ehlijen
21-09-2011, 01:50
Depends if we are going strictly RAW. According to Vulkans special rule if you include him then all your units lose the combat tactics special rule and instead get twin linked flamer and melta weapons. Since SOB dont have combat tactics they cant lose it so they cant get the fancy flamer and melta weapons.

Unfortunately that's exactly what Vulkan's rules don't say. Half the reason he is considered the most powerful SM SC is because his buff is the only one tha doesn't require the unit to trade in combat tactics. You lose it if you have it, but if you don't have it, you get the benefit anyway.

That's why you mostly seem him accompanied by Landspeders and dreadnaughts.

Ghost-13
21-09-2011, 02:43
Can I take techmarines to repair my monoliths? :shifty:

Konovalev
21-09-2011, 03:09
I like the Epidemius idea.

Player 1 Grey Knight Mordrak and librarian with servo skulls + warprift attached to a unit of mark of nurgle terminators and chaos terminator sorcerer with combimelta and wind of chaos. - turn 1 deepstrike no scatter melta guns that starts spawning extra terminators when the squad takes wounds, and removes models from play via initiative tests.

Player 2 Epidemius, nurglings, nurgle prince, and plague bearers. Attach a necron lord with warscythe and phylactery to a bearer squad. - 1 d6 deepstrike onto servo skulls with +/- 1 on reserve rolls, d3 units are scoring(grand strategy - the nominated units, no mention of grey knights), toughness 5+ all over the place on highly durable units.

After a measly 20 model kills all nurgle units ignore armor saves with shooting, psychic powers, and close combat. Also, I would argue that a nurgle squad(nurglenators, bearers etc) with a non-nurgle independant character still count all kills as nurgle since the squad is still nurgle, just nurgle+character.

carldooley
21-09-2011, 03:23
HQ = 110 pts.
Company Command Squad
Astropath & Officer of the Fleet

HQ = 200 pts.
Inquisitor Kazamarov

TROOPS = 270 pts.
Platoon Command Squad
4x Infantry Squads
4x Meltaguns

TROOPS = 270 pts.
Platoon Command Squad
4x Infantry Squads
4x Meltaguns

FAST ATTACK = 130 pts.
Vendetta

FAST ATTACK = 130 pts.
Vendetta

FAST ATTACK = 130 pts.
Vendetta

Kazamarov is there to drop pie plates on your infantry squads when your opponents inevitably try to close. The Command Squads stay in the Vendettas as much as possible.

Maybe team up with a lash build with 3 defilers, 2 winged princes, and a summoned greater daemon. Combined with a Grey Knight Grand Master to make the Defilers scoring. or something.

Chem-Dog
21-09-2011, 03:30
Army 1. Ork/Blood Angels tag-team.
Orks
BigMek with Custom Forcefield.
Troops choice give him a DeffDread.
Then a Heavy Support fleet of killa Kans.

Dante for Death Mask HQ nerfing duty, if nothing else.
A small Squad of scouts with Snifles and Camo to satisfy FoC.
A Landraider (any Flavour).
Death Company, just enough to unlock a DC Dread or Two.
Then Fill out on various flavours of Furioso and Librarian Dreads.

Deploy the Mek in the Landraider (guarded by the Death Co). Advance a wall of walkers so they benefit from his forcefield footprint, letting the Kans soak up as much of the fire as possible. Few armies will be able to mount an effective response to this.

The Second army would be Typhus leading Deathguard (IMHO, one of the MOST underrated characters in the game) supported by Epidemius leading loads of Nurgly things.

Corporeal
21-09-2011, 03:41
full squad of broadsides with two dissie toting ravagers, OR a voidraven bomber and two hammerheads.

two full squads of crisis suits and ten incubi with klaivex.

three squads of kabalite warriors with three full squads of firewarriors.

2x2 piranhas and a full squad of hellions.

Drazhar working with Shadowsun.

Ail-Shan
21-09-2011, 04:27

I'm trying to figure out why you'd do this. It'd be very nice as an Eldar player, but as a GK player, aren't you better off taking death cult assassins who are better than banshees in every way short of save (sort of) and I10 for the first round?

The epidemius with plague marines one is about the best you'll get for 2 codices. That makes 2. Then one player takes a vendetta or two and the other takes a few broadsides to cover your anti-tank. 4 books (demons, chaos marines, guard and tau).

Isfimbur
21-09-2011, 08:45
a squad of bloodletters attacking from a land raider

How about a squad of bloodcrushers attacking from a land raider then? ;)

ScytheSwathe
21-09-2011, 08:54
Not sure what, but something with Grotsnik could be entertaining. attach him to banshees, give them cybork bodies, and then fortune.
Banshees with 4+ 5++ FNP and rerolls.

Cybork bodied grey knights, Incubi, assassins etc.... Take your pick.

Str10_hurts
21-09-2011, 10:47
SM, Eldar, IG, ???

Vulcan
5 CC terminators
Eldrad
Mass on IG mech with melta & flamer
Might squeeze in a vendetta

Win?

That or the deceiver/battle psycher squad

Bunnahabhain
21-09-2011, 10:59
How about wolf guard scattered though-out another army?

Mechanised Guard veterans providing ablative wounds for them when CC happens.
Power fist supplier for dark eldar?

And they only take up one slot.

Kulgur
21-09-2011, 11:15
For all the people saying "fortune <insert non-eldar unit here>" the rules for fortune specify it has to be cast on an Eldar unit.

Str10_hurts
21-09-2011, 11:22
DOH!

Then just:
Vulcan
Ork mech with KFF
Chaos lash sorcerer
IG mech

jack da greenskin
21-09-2011, 11:25
How about wolf guard scattered though-out another army?

Mechanised Guard veterans providing ablative wounds for them when CC happens.
Power fist supplier for dark eldar?

And they only take up one slot.

WG rules specifically list certain units for them to be split up and put in :/

ehlijen
21-09-2011, 12:20
WG rules specifically list certain units for them to be split up and put in :/

Indeed. They can't actually even join all units in their own codex.

Axeman1n
21-09-2011, 12:23
30 Boyz with Fnp and rad/psy grenades, backed up by a daemon prince with lash. With the GK Libby, they would have S5 on the charge too. The lash would just bring all the meat closer. I'd go with a storm raven with wraithguard for anti tank, as the storm raven could move 24" and deploy them via deep strike.

igwarlord
21-09-2011, 12:25
I like alot of the ideas i am getting
o i thought i would ask for a hand maybe limit the field a bit and see what people got
between my partner and I we have guard, blood angels, Sisters, Eldar, Dark eldar, tau, and SM generic

SuperMitch
21-09-2011, 14:14
Don't forget about Jacobus from the Sisters codex: 90 points for fnp, +1 attack, reroll attacks on the charge, and stubborn ld 10. You could make some seriously frightening death stars with those buffs.

Chem-Dog
21-09-2011, 15:53
I like alot of the ideas i am getting
o i thought i would ask for a hand maybe limit the field a bit and see what people got
between my partner and I we have guard, blood angels, Sisters, Eldar, Dark eldar, tau, and SM generic

Out of those I'd pick The BA's, IG, Eldar and Dark Eldar.
A few Sanguinary Priests transmitting FNP to IG blob squads making them even more troublesome to shift and POSSIBLY the opportunity of saying Dark Eldar are sufficiently "Eldar" enough to benefit from things like Guide. It's a tough call though, depending on exactly what the organiser is going to let slide and what he isn't.

It's like preparing or the Zombie Appocalypse without knowing what kind of Zombies they're going to be.

Elenneth89
21-09-2011, 20:09
eldrad with lootas seems quite OP^^

Charistoph
21-09-2011, 20:10
Howabout:

3 Broadsides and 6 Obliterators, or reverse the numbers.

carldooley
21-09-2011, 20:15
Howabout:

3 Broadsides and 6 Obliterators, or reverse the numbers.

nah, obliterators are strictly better than broadsides (at least till the next TE codex. I'd love for them to gain a semi-MC status). They can DS, they can hold their own in CC, they have Flamers, they have a Inv standard. they can move and shoot standard. so on and so on and so on.

Obliterators supported by a Gate of Infinity Librarian now. . .

that has some possibilities. :p

Charistoph
21-09-2011, 21:23
But Broadsides can also move and Shoot, as easily as an Obliterator any way, they are at full affect at any range, can split their fire, etc. I'm just saying that they can easily cover each other's weaknesses.

Bunnahabhain
21-09-2011, 21:30
Manticores still outdo them both. S10 ordnance works wonders.

Akira
21-09-2011, 23:27
9 x Griffins
9 x Broadsides
Pathfinders
+ Farseer w/ Doom
+ 3 Land Speeders w/ 2 HB ea

Rest is mortars and FWs

The Tau Broadside is the most points efficient long range gun against all AV in 40k. > Vendetta, Vindicare, whatever.
The IG have the most devastating Antipersonnel firepower in the game.

Combine these two, and annihilate the foe when you go first

mightymconeshot
22-09-2011, 01:27
I would go with IG sisters, Vulkan from SM dex and then insert some monster attack unit here.

Vulkan gives sisters rerolling flamers spam them and the tanks and provide the tough shield.
IG heavy fire, bodies and objective holders and anti-tank

Random death star kills things. You have numbers, firepower, melle power and pie plates.

ehlijen
22-09-2011, 01:54
Gate of infinity on a carnifex squad?

Or the old classic of Commisar Lords executing inquisitors?

edit: Or better yet, calgar copping a commisar's bullet after chosing to fail a ld test...

wyvirn
22-09-2011, 01:55
I bet you can do some serious damage with a Hive tyrant with pyroxism and Lilith's + attacks.

DeviantApostle
22-09-2011, 04:44
I did Fateweaver + Possessed w/MoTz once in Apoc which was beastly but that was mainly because I rolled a 6 for their special ability. Even so, they nuked a unit of 20 Death Company, so I call it good.

If I was doing this seriously, Grey Knights + Dark Eldar. Wyches + Grenade-toting ICs + Psychic Power (sorely lacking in the DE 'dex) + Grand Master Shenannigans + Servo Skulls... limitless possibilities, really.

Rad Grenades would be particularly nasy in conjunction with Lilith or the already nasty Incubi, in fact Rad Grenades could make the whip redundant. Psychotroke Grenades would just be rediculous.

Oh, let's not forget Might off a Librarian giving out S4+2d6 AP. Or hand out Stealth.