PDA

View Full Version : Favourite item.

Ward.
20-09-2011, 19:06
The title says it all folks, there's always one item in every book you always take.
So what is it, why is it your favourite and feel free to describe the moments where it's pulled through for you.

For me it's the skaven doom rocket, I've personally never missed with it and still get cries of OP for taking.

tmarichards
20-09-2011, 19:08
Black Dragon Egg, ace item that catches people out a lot of the time. It's about 4th on my list of items that I really want though, and I can usually only fit 3 in :(

Korraz
20-09-2011, 19:24
Van Horstmann's Speculum. I simply have no reason NOT to equip my level 2 with it.

TrueKin
20-09-2011, 19:28
Chaos Daemonsword! The best magic weapon there is. Can't help loving it, even though I've killed my own Chaos Lord more times with it than I can even remember. Even my opponents can't get mad at me when I chop their best fighter characters to death, when I do the same to myself either in the same combat phase or the next. :D

Confessor_Atol
20-09-2011, 19:51
Crown of Command...... Broke to the point of OTT. Pick your favorite unit, make it a perfect anvil.

popisdead
20-09-2011, 20:43
Black Dragon Egg, ace item that catches people out a lot of the time.

While not 'my' favourite (as I don't play my Dark Elves much) I have to admit it's a superb item and only got better in 8th ed.

badguyshaveallthefun
20-09-2011, 21:07
Infernal Puppet: The ability to modify the miscast rolls are too good to pass up.

Jagged Dagger: The ability to keep cc kills to one side to expend as powerdice later on is awesome

Obsidian Armor: Your fancy swords are of no use against me and you must now use your basic stats to attack and wound my Bloodthirster

Vambraces of Defense/Annulian Crystal: Hard to decide which one I like more as I always take both, but they both are amazing!!

Enigmatik1
20-09-2011, 21:13
Rapier of Ecstasy.

cyberspite
20-09-2011, 21:20
Moonstone of the Hidden Ways, terrain dependent but awesome when you pull it off.

Slashattack
20-09-2011, 21:21
My favourite items are definitely the Sacrificial Dagger and the Black Dragon's Egg.

The Sacrificial Dagger is the epitome of Dark Elf society, with the lower castes being just tools for the higher castes to use as they wish, in this case as extra power dice.

With the Black Dragon's Egg the item is great fun on a Level 4 mage. Its not superbly overpowered. However, it can really tip combats in your favour when your opponent doesn't expect, plus having a toughness 6 mage is awesome!!

Slash

Moonstone_Fellblade
20-09-2011, 21:27
Banner of sorcery, never leave home without it.

Thornz
20-09-2011, 21:37
Hellheart! Anything that makes an opponent think differently is great, such a psychological item.

Glenn87
20-09-2011, 21:59
weirdly enough, I don't use the Pendant of Kaeleth or the sacrificial Dagger for Dark Elves (the Pentant not in the way most do, sometimes use it just for having a ward save on my lvl 4 tough).

The Item I ALWAYS use is the Darkstar Cloak. 12.5 skaven slaves, and gives the wizard wearing it an extra Power dice every turn.

Might not be a great item, but just love the extra PD every turn.

2 others I mostly use are the armour of Darkness (1+ armour save) and the Crimson Death (2 hands, always S6 with no modifiers). Usually these go on my BSB.

Just started O&G, and Really like Basha's Axe of Stunty Smashin'. (gives +1 attack and Strenght, or +2 against Dwarfs). Just cuz I like the name :D

pointyteeth
20-09-2011, 22:03
Blood Skull Pendant. Nothing better than getting a Chaos Sorcerer into combat and laying down a S8 killing blow hit on every model in base contact, especially when in a challenge.

w3rm
20-09-2011, 22:04
Doomrocket, you're dumb if you leave home without it. Dispel scroll is amazing too and I'm a big fan of the powerstone.

OldMaster
20-09-2011, 22:16
Chaos has just too many awesome options to keep a single set of items on each character every time. =)

Infernal Puppet is always in there though, as is the Bloodcurdling Roar (aka The Scare-Eagle Song).

Shield of Freedom
20-09-2011, 22:20
Sword of Might

Cheap, simple, makes it easier for you to wound AND has the added benefit of reducing the enemy's armor by one (by virtue of +1STR).

Its also low cost enough to even allow a hero to have another item or other cheap items with it.

Simple is sometimes just better.

GenerationTerrorist
20-09-2011, 22:26
Though not a magic item, as such, my vote would go for Third Eye of Tzeentch.

"Thanks, Mr Teclis/Fateweaver, but I'd like to use all your spells too!"

ImperiusDominatus
20-09-2011, 22:37
My most used magic item is probably just the simple Armour of Meteoric Iron. Very useful for any warrior hero on foot and quite cheap.

Leogun_91
20-09-2011, 22:40
The humble but yet immensely practical Powerstone, while I can't run around with a fivestone shaman any more it still have saved many of my magicfaces from fizzling away and at times have made critical spells go off.

Zoolander
21-09-2011, 00:11
The Sacrificial Dagger is my favorite item, not really for it's use (which is awesome), but because it is very fluffy and perfect for the Dark Elves.

Sadly, as they move all items to the core book and remove them from army books, there goes the fun, interesting, fluffy items, only to be replaced with boring, generic ones.

Lunchmoney
21-09-2011, 02:01
Gruts sickle is my favorite item. Why yes, I'll cast that with just one die please!

FashaTheDog
21-09-2011, 02:37
Rhas'ijin Pheptulius, my rather successful level 4 Tzeentch Sorcerer Lord always takes the Necrotic Phylactery as I consider it to be a staple of the character. Started off as I had 10 points left to spend on him so I took that since it sounded handy and fit perfectly, since it has been nothing short of amazing for 10 points.

Jinxies
21-09-2011, 03:12
For my Beastmen it HAS to be Skin of Man! SUCH a fun item go go scouting pumba-cart of doom!!!!

For Bretonnia it's without doubt Mane of the Pure Breed. We all know the horses kill more than the knights ;)

Doommasters
21-09-2011, 04:12
blood drinker for vc

misterdance
21-09-2011, 04:18
Battleaxe of the Last Waaagh!!! All the way. Love the randomness and for the entire equipment allotment can be used for monsters, challenges, or regular rank-and-file hack'n'slash. Plus, my warboss' name is Ragnar Rockcleava - so it's fitting fluffwise. Converted up that bad boy this summer.

crartist24
21-09-2011, 06:29
Rune of Forging

Borzoni
21-09-2011, 08:14
For me its the Hail of Boom Arrow!

Seeing your opponents face when you announce it, is priceless

kyussinchains
21-09-2011, 08:34
the other trickster's shard for me...... in this edition where ward saves are arguably more rampant than ever, it's nice to give your character a better chance of actually scoring a wound......

Harwammer
21-09-2011, 10:55
Beastmen: Beasts Banner: with str 4 and rerolls on primal fury from the bsb this turns mediocre 8 point gors into monsters without the need for fickle spells

Empire: Armour of Meteoric Iron (with dawn/luck stone) good luck putting wounds on that model (with heal and 4+ ward prayer options!!

Warriors of Chaos: Charmed Shield: simply awesome miscast protection and a shield on a Sorceror. Cheap so leaves plenty of points spare.

Generally: Banner of Discipline: if your general's unit can take it then why not?

Rosstifer
21-09-2011, 11:51
Will everyone rage if I say the Pendant? I particularly love it in combo with the Crown of Command on a solo mounted Dreadlord with a 1+ Save and a Sword of Might. Just holds Deathstars up all week.

arthurfallz
21-09-2011, 12:15
The Silver Mirror, it's a dispel that punishes the opposing caster for even casting their silly spell. So many times I've stopped a critical spell from going off and wounded those pesky Vampires I keep having to fight.

Bretonnian item for those who aren't familiar with it.

kyussinchains
21-09-2011, 12:45
Will everyone rage if I say the Pendant? I particularly love it in combo with the Crown of Command on a solo mounted Dreadlord with a 1+ Save and a Sword of Might. Just holds Deathstars up all week.

perfectly valid strategy as far as I'm concerned..... used it myself to great effect!

charlarino
21-09-2011, 13:25
Favourite item for me has to be the bretonnian virtue that allows me to killing blow all these pesky monsters that keep showing up nowadays.. not strictly an item per se, but I love the look on an opponents face when I manage to one hit kill his monsters

Oh and for dark elves Caledors Bane - again good for monsters with nothing but a scaly skin save

ewar
21-09-2011, 13:35
perfectly valid strategy as far as I'm concerned..... used it myself to great effect!

You realise that when the Apocalypse comes and it's time for judgement, you're going to get -74 karma points for using that combo?

I suppose as a Dark Elf player you're already looking forward to that magma colonic in the underworld.

Rosstifer
21-09-2011, 13:41
You realise that when the Apocalypse comes and it's time for judgement, you're going to get -74 karma points for using that combo?

I suppose as a Dark Elf player you're already looking forward to that magma colonic in the underworld.

Well, if people turn up with 1000pt units of Grave Gaurd kitted out with Characters and toy's, I think it's fine to shove a 270pt model in to the front of it and hold them up all game whilst I take out the rest of there army. Then again, I AM a terrible person.

Texhnolyze
21-09-2011, 13:43

I've never used the pendant+crown combo....

Thought if my opponents started making horrid deathstar units that I can't kill in combat, then I'll get my revenge using this combo and just slaughter around his helpless deathstar.

I think Tome of Furion is my favourite item, +1 spell for barely any points is just awesome! Then the Pendant on my BSB, and SSS on a unit with 30 Corsairs ^^

ewar
21-09-2011, 13:46
Then again, I AM a terrible person.

Sense of humour check.:shifty:

Rosstifer
21-09-2011, 13:49
Sense of humour check.:shifty:

I wan't being sarcastic. I'm a very competitive player :D.

kyussinchains
21-09-2011, 16:17

yup, although to be honest if someone does spend half of their points on a massive unit of chosen, beefed up with magic items, marks and characters, it's their own fault if they end up bogged down against a single model....

they knew the risks when they agreed to play against dark elves.... :p

while I'm aware you're not being remotely serious, this kind of anti dark elf attitude when spouted in anger is a good part of why I've all but quit WFB, I've had my dark elves for 4 iterations of the core rules, and I stuck with them through the woefully underpowered days of pre-revision 6th edition, I really don't want to apologise for choosing an army with a wonderful evocative backstory and great miniatures.... I did abandon the pendant for a while during 7th edition to save my ears from the constant whinging, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've used both my hydras in a single list

Harwammer
21-09-2011, 16:59
Typical dark elf cheesiness to bide your time through the 6th ed armybook just so you can exploit the 7th ed armybook brokeness ;)

Pavisel
21-09-2011, 18:40
fave item for my HE: seer staff of saphery to choose spells. perfect to guarantee my archers the 'curse of arrow attraction'

haven't used skaven much in 8th, but I like the crown of command on my warlord with bone breaker and 3x3 rat ogre unit. rat ogres vs minotars, rat ogres won. aw yeah :)

Count_Orlock
21-09-2011, 18:50
Hellheart. Even though it's done nothing in two out of five battles. The potential is awesome, and the mindgame-aspect is great. If people want to keep all their vampires together in their Grave Guard deathstars, they deserve to get Hellhearted. :D And yeah, Standard of Discipline is in every list I create. It's just so crazy good. ^^

kyussinchains
21-09-2011, 18:58
Typical dark elf cheesiness to bide your time through the 6th ed armybook just so you can exploit the 7th ed armybook brokeness ;)

of course, that was the plan all along...... :shifty:

sulla
21-09-2011, 20:53
I love the pendant of Khaleth. Finally, my stupidly fragile T3 army can actually have a model in my infantry who is survivable.

Nice after playing 6th where you couldn't play infantry characters (or infantry) at all without gifting the game to your opponent.

ashc
21-09-2011, 21:03
Chaos daemonsword is an awesome, fluffy item which i hope stays about, whilst infernal puppet is an excellent item.

High elves have so many wonderful items, its tough. Vambraces of defence are incredible, as is the radiant gem of hoeth. I am going to leave the arcane items, too difficult to choose. :)

snyggejygge
21-09-2011, 21:08
Charmed shield. I like to use mounted characters, sometimes on their own, sometimes leading trolls & similar creatures, so the charmed shield is awesome considering its pointcost.
I also like to use it on some infantry models such as Chaos Sorcerers & Vampires as it saves vs many of the miscast results.

Questionable-Methods
21-09-2011, 21:59
Pendant of Khaelath! That reverse ward save has foiled many attempts at slaying my Lords and Heroes!

My favorite use - protect my ~300pt Supreme Sorceress from all those nasty S10 hits from the mishap charts!

TsukeFox
22-09-2011, 02:50
Waaaaarpstooone token- stupid stupid that plague priest cannot use them

Doommasters
22-09-2011, 05:20
For me its the Hail of Boom Arrow!

Seeing your opponents face when you announce it, is priceless

Chnaged mine to this, forgot about HODA as I have not played WE in ages.