PDA

View Full Version : Bestial Surge

Harwammer
20-09-2011, 20:46
How does movement from bestial surge work?

The spell asks us to move friendly units towards the nearest visible enemy unit.

1) Should this be done using the rules on BRB page 6 (for when the rules call upon a unit to move directly towards another unit)?

2) If the surging unit encounter something like impassable terrain would the unit be allowed to wheel (as allowed by the spell description) around, provided it ended up closer to the enemy unit than it otherwise would have (similar to how a unit that fails a charge, which also uses the rules from page 6, does)?

Likewise could the surging unit do the same around friendly units (provided it doesn't go within 1" and ends up closer to the enemy compared with not wheeling)?

decker_cky
21-09-2011, 04:11
Bestial surge is terribly written. Draw a line from the unit to the closest enemy unit, and push along that line as directly as possible. It most often will prevent half of the units affected from moving because of the 1" rule. Stop if you violate the 1" rule immediately.

The only player control is to choose the order units are affected, some of which can avoid some of the problems if cleverly planned. Still going to run into problems most often.

It should really just be a move of up to D6+1" that may not include any reforms. Then it would work, and it would be useful.

Feefait
21-09-2011, 04:20
Bestial surge is terribly written. Draw a line from the unit to the closest enemy unit, and push along that line as directly as possible. It most often will prevent half of the units affected from moving because of the 1" rule. Stop if you violate the 1" rule immediately.

The only player control is to choose the order units are affected, some of which can avoid some of the problems if cleverly planned. Still going to run into problems most often.

It should really just be a move of up to D6+1" that may not include any reforms. Then it would work, and it would be useful.

And it should allow them to get into combat. Then the lore might be useful. :)

Brotheroracle
21-09-2011, 04:59
I have a feeling that magic charges have gone the way of the dodo. Din't they remove the charge part from the TK list aswell?

EldarWonderland
21-09-2011, 13:14
They certainly did :(

Also stopped Tomb Scorpions from charging on emergence as they now appear in Remaining Moves.

To console myself I have to watch the new Clash of the Titans to remind me how wonderful things used to be.

AlphariusOmegon20
27-09-2011, 08:19
I have a feeling that magic charges have gone the way of the dodo. Din't they remove the charge part from the TK list aswell?

They certainly did :(

Also stopped Tomb Scorpions from charging on emergence as they now appear in Remaining Moves.

To console myself I have to watch the new Clash of the Titans to remind me how wonderful things used to be.

I'm betting that Van Hel's disappears when they write the new VC book, based on that precedence.

Korraz
27-09-2011, 09:26
I doubt that. Vampire traditionally always had "The stuff that TK have but better, and some extra bling."

theunwantedbeing
27-09-2011, 12:32
I doubt that. Vampire traditionally always had "The stuff that TK have but better, and some extra bling."

I'de go with power creep letting vamps keep van hels.

Harwammer
27-09-2011, 16:28
Bestial surge is terribly written. Draw a line from the unit to the closest enemy unit, and push along that line as directly as possible.

So to move it do you just pivot it on the spot so it faces up the line then push as per Page 6 of the main rules ('move directly towards another unit')?

Tregar
27-09-2011, 16:41

That's not correct, traditionally speaking. When they were first released, where Tomb Kings did the same sort of things as the pre-existing Vampires, they did them better. For example, TK Skeletons were cheaper, the Casket of Souls affected enemies that were ItP whilst the Banshee scream didn't, Vanhels was a total move of 8" whilst TK magic movement could go as long as the troops could move (E.g. chariots magic charging 16"), Tomb Princes were more powerful than VC heroes (and if you did actually kill one with the only things in your army that could fight well, you were repaid by having the Curse kill your victorious model), no worries about miscasts, etc. Standard power creep, on the other hand, reversed most of this to make VC much more powerful ;) Whether the power creep will return is anyone's guess, but given that every instance of magic charging has been reversed where possible, I think it's a safe bet for the VCs magic charges to be removed as well.