PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone play necrons?

AnthonyLR13
20-09-2011, 23:12
basically what the titles says? Are they played anymore due to them being reworked?

Also if one was to start an army of necrons is it a wise choice? or are all the models going to be phased out with the new codex? will there be any overlap of existing units?

or are the necrons we know now going to be completely obsolete (Sp)?

Azazel
20-09-2011, 23:16
Yes, yes and no.

AnthonyLR13
20-09-2011, 23:20
thanks!, im looking on the GW website and notice that in the view entire product list that they arent even selling necron warriors and dont show the monolith or Ctan on that page? is that just an internal error or are they actually not selling them anymore

lastly on one page it shows the necron battleforce as costing $90 and on the enitre army list page it is listed as $105? another GW mistake?

teheuax
20-09-2011, 23:20
I would personally just wait for the new codex. It will be out soon enough and I would like to see what is going on before I buy things. Plus I still have a Dark Eldar army to build

Okuto
20-09-2011, 23:29
You will see lots of new necron players in november I assure you....

AnthonyLR13
20-09-2011, 23:31
say if i wanted to start putting together an army now?

Is it wise to buy the battleforce or peices individually?

I cant wait for the codex to come out to start playing and i wanna have a small necron force put together so i can jump right in, i have a fever and the only cure for it is more Warhammer 40k.....

Korraz
20-09-2011, 23:56
We have absolutely no idea whatsoever. Nobody has. But IF you want to hear pessimistic prognose: Warriors, Scarabs and Destroyers and Monoliths are going to suck, or at least they will be outclassed by several magnitudes by something else, because every Necron Player already owns several buckets of those.

Anyway, just do whatever you want. Having an unplayable codex didn't stop me from expanding my Necron force by another 3k points, 2 Monoliths and 3 Tombstalkers. The Stalkers actually bring somethin akin go "fun" to the table.

deadrifler
21-09-2011, 00:04
say if i wanted to start putting together an army now?

Is it wise to buy the battleforce or peices individually?

I cant wait for the codex to come out to start playing and i wanna have a small necron force put together so i can jump right in, i have a fever and the only cure for it is more Warhammer 40k.....

Best my knowledge, unless your store has necrons stocked, or you go through Ebay, you can not get Necrons atm.

my LGS tried ordering a monolith for a player here through GW, and was unable to do to "uncitable" reasons on their part. So if you are truly gung-ho about Necrons and want to get the army now, and have access to the stuff you need, go for it.

BUT, if your willing to wait, it may just pay off later on.

Thud
21-09-2011, 00:14
I don't think I've played against a Necron army since 3rd edition, to be honest.

To be fair, I lost out on half of 4th edition due to military service, but still...

deadrifler
21-09-2011, 00:16
I don't think I've played against a Necron army since 3rd edition, to be honest.

To be fair, I lost out on half of 4th edition due to military service, but still...

Yeah, Necron players based on popularity is almost a "regional thing" Around here, in the epicenter*my location* it is Blood Angels are popular(and WHFB is rarely played or stocked), to the south of us becomes Tau(south of us WHFB is more played than W40k) to my east it becomes Dark Eldar as the popular grouping. lol...and West, well not sure about West/North ^_^

Rlyehable
21-09-2011, 00:22
I bring them out every so often, but I usually loose by a large margin. If you can get a good price on a battleforce, I would say go for it (as you seem to like them thematically.

I would avoid buying a Lord figure (as they are rumoured to be remade), Pariahs (as they are rumoured to be dropped), and a large number of Immortals (being remodeled according to rumor).

I have seen a mix work in the current meta. It was a destroyer-heavy mix. But be sure to get what you like!

Comrade Penguin
21-09-2011, 01:16
I still play my crons, and I do win on occasion. You really have to ignore a majority of the codex and focus on destroyers, immortals, monoliths, and ctan. Warriors are a liability that you hide throughout most of the game and ctan are still insanely powerful (the deceiver has won me a fair share of games).

The battleforce is a very good deal, even with the price increase. Warriors will most likely still be our troop choice for next edition and destroyers should still be decent (hopefully :shifty:). If the rumors hold true then scarabs should be awesome. I would avoid the immortals because their new models will probably be on bigger bases meaning you couldn't use your old ones.

Wyrmwood
21-09-2011, 01:22
Not here. I own the Codex, and once began to form an army but I'm more interested in the background side; to be fair though, I always endure fighting a Necron army on the tabletop.

Okuto
21-09-2011, 01:37
I would highly recommend you pick up a battleforce while its cheap, no doubt when new necrons drop its gonna be a poo price

gjinari
21-09-2011, 04:16
I actually still play my cron's regularly when they come up in my rotation, (I have a lot of armies) and we recently started a new cron player in this area. (Although he did suffer a crushing defeat over the weekend and claims he's not playing against that opponent again until the new codex drops.

I had a great run with them last year in a fairly competive environment. (pre DE/GK) including getting a few players that preferred not to play against them as I tended to table them in 3-4 turns. Necrons had a bad name in the area before I moved in, because the only person who played them was horribad at playing crons. I think I got two people started after they watched me tear apart MEQs.

Warriors are never going to go away. As prev said, if you can pick them up cheap, do so. I would be more careful with picking up other stuff, as most of the models will probably not go away, but may get new weapons, kits etc.

P.S. Maybe the 100 warrior phalanx will even come back in the new codex, Gork knows I've got tons of the metal bastches laying around collecting dust, I field 30 immortals & 15 destroyers currently, but it was fun to beat someone with 'only' basic troops before 5th destroyed gauss weapons.

Lucianmarquis
21-09-2011, 19:38
my friend lee plays necrons and i hope they remove the phase out rule coz its a silly rule and makes them too easy too beat

Lucianmarquis
21-09-2011, 19:39
personally when polaying against necrons i always void that rul

FashaTheDog
21-09-2011, 19:50
I play Necrons, although I have been meaning to sculpt my own army for some time now. This has nothing to do with the quality of my metal or plastic Necrons, but rather my desire to have a Time War themed Necron army; Daleks for Warriors, the Eleventh Doctor's new Daleck for Immortals (originally planned as just a different color, but thanks to Moffat, I have a better alternative). I would have Davros as my Lord, flying Daleks as Destroyers, a Tardis as the Monolith, and the Doctor as a C'Tan.

Lord Damocles
21-09-2011, 20:13
basically what the titles says?
Yes

Are they played anymore due to them being reworked?
Yes

Also if one was to start an army of necrons is it a wise choice?
Reasonable. Avoid buying lots of metal/hybrid models.

or are all the models going to be phased out with the new codex?
No

will there be any overlap of existing units?
Yes

No

Scaryscarymushroom
21-09-2011, 20:54
my girlfriend has a pretty sizable necron collection. She just started collecting under a year ago.

I definitely suggest picking up a battleforce if you're interested in them at all. The battleforce is still a good deal. And since the rules are being rewritten, choosing to/not to buy them for their rules is a complete gamble.

RobPro
21-09-2011, 22:42
I still play my crons, and I do win on occasion. You really have to ignore a majority of the codex and focus on destroyers, immortals, monoliths, and ctan. Warriors are a liability that you hide throughout most of the game and ctan are still insanely powerful (the deceiver has won me a fair share of games).

The battleforce is a very good deal, even with the price increase. Warriors will most likely still be our troop choice for next edition and destroyers should still be decent (hopefully :shifty:). If the rumors hold true then scarabs should be awesome. I would avoid the immortals because their new models will probably be on bigger bases meaning you couldn't use your old ones.

This man is wise, heed his words.

Voss
21-09-2011, 22:54
basically what the titles says? Are they played anymore due to them being reworked?
People do still play.

Also if one was to start an army of necrons is it a wise choice?
Even if you don't play until the new codex comes out, you can still get a jump on painting models.

or are all the models going to be phased out with the new codex? will there be any overlap of existing units?
Unlikely that they'll phase out the existing models. Most of the plastics will likely stay as is- GW Generally only does about 4-6 new kits for a release these days, so it makes sense to leave existing plastics alone. Destroyers may be an execption, according to rumours, as they might see a merged destroyer/heavy destroyer kit.

I would, however not pick up any of the elite choices for the time being. Immortals are highly likely to get a new plastic kit, pariahs may not exist as such in the new codex (pure rumour, but...). Flayed ones may change, or may just get finecasted (so if you have to buy any of the elite choices, they are probably the safest bet- I personally have bad feelings about those claws and finecast, especially since the hands are separate bits on the metal models.)

Again, unlikely. Even on the 1 in 975,321 chance that they are, I doubt anyone would object to you using existing models.

kasrkinsquad
21-09-2011, 23:03
I actually will be buying a necron army on Sunday from a friend. I am very excited for the armyand have the book. I can't wait to give them a go.

Azulthar
21-09-2011, 23:44
Necrons are still my favorite army, but I kinda stopped playing them when the new Grey Knights came out and I realized just how big the power gap was getting.

I'm really hoping we'll get new rules in November.

Lars Porsenna
22-09-2011, 00:51
I haven't trotted out my Necrons since last Winter, but I have been in the process of expanding my current collection. IMHO if it is in plastic, it is probably a safe bet. It it is in metal, I'd stay away. The only exceptions I would make actually would be the lords. WHile there is a likelihood they'll be remade, the current ones I'm betting will still be fine. I have no plans FREX to retire my current lord (With Res Orb). I would definitely stay away from Pariahs, but on that note I've been buying up a few at bargain prices, and will probably use them either as Crypteks, or Lord's bodyguard (2 of the rumors I've seen). I don't necessarily think GW will "obsolete" them but recast them in a different role. But that is just a guess; we'll have to wait and see what actually happens...

Damon.

IcedAnimals
22-09-2011, 06:11
I still pull out my necrons every now and then. Even won the last game I played (but it was damn close). I am both looking forward to the new codex and yet I can definitely wait, as I am not looking forward to every bandwagoner in the hobby telling me how they have always loved the army and models and feel NOW is a good time to start them with their "counts as space wolf, ultramarines"

As for which models to buy if you are starting now. Seemings as this is about your 20th thread about thinking which army to start, a single box of warriors is a good place as the battle force is a much bigger investment.

insectum7
22-09-2011, 08:02
I just lost to Necrons in one of my recent battles.

Came back the next time and pulled a desperate banzai charge to force a phase out during a team game.

They're around, they're still fun to play with or against.

Cheeslord
22-09-2011, 10:49
My first army was Necrons, though I moved on to Chaos Daemons and the 'Crons havent been out of the box for a while (mainly because I'm in a long running campaign with the Daemons).

I don't think any of the plastic models will become obsolete with the new codex. I am expecting Monoliths to become the new Carnifexes however (i.e. made not very good so everyone buys the shiny new Necron MC/vehicle). On the other hand the Warriors are quite poor at the moment so will probably get a boost as people will in general just own the minimum 20 so if they become useful they will buy more.

Anyway, get them if you like the feel/look of the robot undead terminators who like to flay peoples skin off. We will all adapt to the new rules together...

Mark.

I wouldn't invest in metal minis right now, there are rumours Pariahs may be made obsolete and Immortals re-made looking quite different

Furiosa
23-09-2011, 12:42
I'm one of the Northorn Warlords and we recently held a GT in warrington, out of the teams we placed a bet on who would be the top 3 out of our team, no one picked me to be one of the high ones

6 games laters Necrons came top 10, I placed 9th and won 5/6 games, only lost to DE mass poison weapons with the baron and 19 Helions.

3 Monoliths, 10 destroyers, 20 warriors and a destroyer lord. out of 60 odd people I was the best and only necron player beaten only by the best and only Dark eldar player who came 2nd in the whole tournament.

Necrons are still cool and incredibly competitive, shear firepower and armour 14 can overwhelm people. especially when grey knights are so popular and their Rending does nothing to monoliths and the dread duel auto cannons cant destroy a monolith.

Comrade Penguin
23-09-2011, 17:06
Came back the next time and pulled a desperate banzai charge to force a phase out during a team game.

You used the Phase Out rule in a team game? That's just plain mean. At my local GW store they remove that rule in doubles tournaments because it really slams teams with one necron player on it.

Kulgur
23-09-2011, 23:27
Grey Knights book finally caused mine to be shelved til next book as my last reliable counter assault unit (the c'tan) can be one shotted by force weapons (no eternal warrior)

insectum7
24-09-2011, 05:24
You used the Phase Out rule in a team game? That's just plain mean. At my local GW store they remove that rule in doubles tournaments because it really slams teams with one necron player on it.

It may have been a bit heavy handed, I admit.

The longer version is that I arrived late to the fray, not knowing if I could make it to the game or not. Eldar and Chaos vs. Marines and Necrons. The Eldar-Chaos force was being run by one guy, and there was a lot of noise about being in bad shape. (lots of chaos vehicles had been immobilized/rendered useless on turn one, he was sorta stuck in the middle and surrounded.) So I took over the Chaos (haven't played them this edition), and banzai-ed with some Berzerkers, Kharn, and Plague Marines, was able to work my way through a wall of Tactical Marines. The next turn we engaged two squads of Warriors while reinforced by a Seer Council.

It probably wouldn't have worked if:
A: The Necron player wasn't a little too aggressive with his Immortals. Though he wiped out the troops on our objective by using the Veil of Darkness (which was awesome to watch btw, our Guardians just vaporized), the squad was open to enough return fire to bring his model count down another 7 or so. He rolled really bad for WBB.

B: Kharn hadn't rolled so well. He never missed, and failed to wound maybe once or twice. In two turns I think Kharn himself killed 12-13 models.

I probably wouldn't have done it if the Deciever wasn't about to eat our left flank for lunch, and our right flank wasn't quickly filling up with Terminators, both Assault and Standard. The Monolith had just landed in the middle of the table, in the middle of everything, and was starting to throw it's weight around.

I had to do something. I had Kharn and Berzerkers. What the hell else was I going to do? :)

thoughtfoxx
24-09-2011, 05:44
Actually as a long term Necron player I would be a little leery of buying anything at this point. 40K releases are not the same as fantasy releases. DE had a number of plastic kits that were retired that most people seem to have forgotten about. If you look at the Necron concept art out there it seems to me to suggest that a greater rework of the range just may be possible. Jus' sayin'

IcedAnimals
24-09-2011, 08:25
Actually as a long term Necron player I would be a little leery of buying anything at this point. 40K releases are not the same as fantasy releases. DE had a number of plastic kits that were retired that most people seem to have forgotten about. If you look at the Necron concept art out there it seems to me to suggest that a greater rework of the range just may be possible. Jus' sayin'

We would have heard a lot more about it. Also the chances of two LARGE xeno remakes is just too risky for GW right now. Necrons will get plenty of new toys and new models for those toys but the already plastic models are actually liked by a lot of people and I doubt GW will change them.

Korraz
24-09-2011, 09:56
Looking at the great successes of GK and DE, which were practically nonexistant beforehand, it's only a risk if you consider leaving your home a risk.

BramGaunt
24-09-2011, 11:53
We would have heard a lot more about it. Also the chances of two LARGE xeno remakes is just too risky for GW right now. Necrons will get plenty of new toys and new models for those toys but the already plastic models are actually liked by a lot of people and I doubt GW will change them.

Afaik, no plastic kit remains unchanged, though in case of the Monolith and the Warriors the Changes are very subtle. But take that with salt..

Lord-Gen Bale Chambers
24-09-2011, 15:09
No, they are a dead army....pun intended :)

I haven't played a Necron army in about a year. That player switched from Tyranids to Necrons to Sisters of Battle and finally to Wood Elves in WFB. I don't think anyone locally has Necrons anymore.

I know a friend that has always been interested in them since late 3rd edition and he does have a box or two of Warriors, but he expanded his Tau instead, started Grey Knights, made a vanilla marine army and gave his Grey Knights a make over with the recent dex.

We'll see more with the new dex.

Lars Porsenna
24-09-2011, 15:40
I think DE were a special case, having one of the ugliest range in the catolog. I don't think Necrons have that issue, and besides the rumors don't seem to float towards a total reboot...

Damon.

Comrade Penguin
24-09-2011, 19:47
Being the cynic that I am, as well as suffering the tyranid nerf, I could see gw nerfing warriors, monoliths, and destroyers in favor of what new crap they are pushing. I wouldn't be surprised if they nerf gaus rifles for a new gun and force long time necron players to rip the arms off their warriors :rolleyes: