PDA

View Full Version : Good novels about the Undead/Necromancy?

BobtheInquisitor
21-09-2011, 01:07
So, I've recently read the Nagash series and The Necromancer by Johnathan Green, and I want more. Who can recommend a good book or series that contains a lot of necromancers, skeletons, Vampires or Tomb Kings? (Especially Tomb Kings.)

Oh and in a semi-related note, is Fell Cargo really, really worth reading? I've been avoiding that book for years for two reasons: 1. Zombies. 2. Pirates. (I did not like the Pirates of the Carribean movies.) Does the book rise above its subject matter?

PS: I really liked the Necromancer because it captures a very Lovecraftian feel, and I loved the Nagash books for the intrigue, magic and epic consequences.

Xisor
21-09-2011, 01:34
The SoM novellas Razumov's Tomb and The Hour of Shadows certainly deal with this. Similarly, Dragonmage touches on it (there's animated skeletons...).

All three are very well written, but they only partially relate to what you desire; the full novellas are ostensibly about 'other stuff'. But though they're only novellas, I found them jam packed with interesting stuff.

I just finished the Nagash books myself, keen to pick up this track too. I understand that Ancient Blood, despite having a huge vampire on it, is actually more about the Strigani themselves than the Strigoi vampires. Gotrek and Felix Vampireslayer certainly pushes in this direction too.

BobtheInquisitor
21-09-2011, 03:35
I liked Vampireslayer, but I still think it's the weakest of the King-written Gotrek and Felix books. However, it did give rise to the vampire Ulrika novels. I'm waiting for the omnibus for them, but I hear they're good.

I also have and enjoyed all the Storm of Chaos books, too. Thanks for reminding me to reread parts of them.

How is the Vampire Wars trilogy?

Also, does the new Tomb Kings army book have a lot of new or different fluff in it? Is it any fun to read?

m1acca1551
21-09-2011, 04:20
The ulrika books are gold!! loved every but of it.

There is the Von Carstein Trilogy, not a bad read to be honest, a bit jumpy at times, would recommend.

Vampire slayer was a good read, rushed but i think William King was already looking towards the horizon and other projects by this stage

sabbathstevie
21-09-2011, 11:31
If you liked the Nagash series then certainly "God King" and to a lesser extent "Empire" in the Sigmar Time of Legends trilogy will be worth a punt.

I enjoyed the Vampire Wars trilogy immensely, thought Steven Saville's writing is too horror and not fantasy enough enough for some.

Agree that Ulrika books are excellent - much better than Nathan Long's Gotrek & Felix attempts (although Zombieslayer does a good job of portraying a prolonged siege, with Kemmler and Krell at the helm of the undead). It looks as though the final book in that series will feature a major vampire - my money is on Mannfred Von Carstein.

CL Werner's "Runefang" features one of Nagash's chief Liche's and is pretty enjoyable. A Massacre in Marienburg also features the undead heavily but I haven't read it.

I think the the Necromancer book you refer to (Jonathon Green) was originally intended to be book one of a trilogy - such a shame that never materialised!

m1acca1551
22-09-2011, 06:02
agreed with saville's writing style, was very much like reading a horror book and not something from BL.

Interesting thought on the Gotrek and Felix theme, well they will have to tie it into the actual fluff of the VC book should be interesting. Nathan Long's book aren't bad, just William King set the bar very high...

Shizzbam
26-09-2011, 15:46
agreed with saville's writing style, was very much like reading a horror book and not something from BL.

Funnily enough, that actually makes me want to read those novels whereas previously I had no interest. Creepy and scary Vampires are the very reason I played Vampire Counts in the first place. :skull:

Xisor
26-09-2011, 17:17
Ditto, Shizzbam, ditto. (Well, I don't play VC, but that's one of the big attractions for me. Even looking at the VC armybook, it has an immensely creepy/horror vibe to it, much moreso than the other armybooks round about.)

Antreus
26-09-2011, 18:56
Gav Thorpe's Blades of Chaos feature Tomb Kings. Just depends if you can get hold of a copy.

Tregar
04-10-2011, 16:12
Runefang and Massacre in Marienburg are your best bet for some solid undead action :)

Mirbeau
06-10-2011, 11:38
Zombieslayer has Kemmeler's necromatic zombie weirdness with no hint of a vampire. I liked the undead warmachines, but I don't know if I could recommend it really, nor call it a 'good' novel, it was something of a slog to read....

Vivia
06-10-2011, 12:11
Quite a few of CL Werner's books contain the undead in one way or the other. The Witch Hunter and Brunner series. Blood Dragons and necromancers.

The Vampire Wars are another recommendation. Very gory and dark, no one gets spared, most people die. :cool:

blindingdark
12-10-2011, 17:22
Vampire wars is a good read, enjoyed the first book the most though.
Also, if you can get a copy, the Liber necris is a good hours read.

BobtheInquisitor
13-10-2011, 02:49
Thank you all for the recommendations. You've talked me into getting the Vampire Wars trilogy. Somehow I forgot to mention that I already have all of C.L. Werner's books (except for Thanquol's Doom) because I really enjoy his work. Also, I'm probably going to wait for the next Gotrek and Felix omnibus instead of buying the books individually. I'm looking forward to 'meeting' Kemmler.

Wait. Wasn't there a necromancer in the Dresden Files books named Kemmler? I may have to convert an undead T-rex...

Are the Marienburg books good? I've heard they weren't very Warhammery. I've also heard bad things about the Blades of Chaos books.

Now, if I can find a copy of Liber Necris for under $40, I'll be all over it like my dog on a box of strawberry Pop Tarts.

Sheena Easton
16-10-2011, 22:10
Curse Of The Necrarch and Ancient Blood were both good - the former a veritable horde of undeath invades, the latter has undead content but not as the focus (and is all the better for it).

I detest the time of legends books (though the first Nagash book is for the most part well written if you can ignore the parts where it craps over long established fluff and some ridiculous lines) and think the Vampire Wars trilogy was horribly misguided.

A Massacre in Marienburg also features the undead heavily but I haven't read it.

Its one to avoid.It is like a poor attempt at copying one of Terry Pratchetts early Ankh-Morpork based novels without any redeeming features.

I think the the Necromancer book you refer to (Jonathon Green) was originally intended to be book one of a trilogy - such a shame that never materialised!

If it is indeed the same book I'm thinking of then that was the biggest wasted opportunity

blindingdark
18-10-2011, 16:39
Now, if I can find a copy of Liber Necris for under $40, I'll be all over it like my dog on a box of strawberry Pop Tarts.

Good luck. I had to pay an extortionate price for my copy...:(

SunTzu
18-10-2011, 16:45
I've also heard bad things about the Blades of Chaos books.

In fairness, the middle book, where the main character went to Khemri (and therefore most relevant to this thread), wasn't bad. Not very good... but not actively bad.

The first and last books were awful, though. Excruitatingly painful to read, and since the prologue to book one tells you the ending of book three, you have to wonder what the point was. Ugh. The moments of plagiarism didn't help either.

Spider-pope
19-10-2011, 15:33
Just for a recommendation from outside of the box, perhaps have a read of Dembski-Bowden's 'Cadian Blood', a 40k novel that features Nurgle related zombieness. It's not quite as good as his later work but still well worth a read. Or Nick Kyme's Necromunda novel, 'Back from the Dead', one of the few pieces of his work that i found reasonably good, that has a very nice depiction of the Zombie Plague.