Brace of Handguns, Bellower, Standard Bearer, Banner of Eternal Flame
(special rules selection undecided)

1 IRONBLASTER 170

1 IRONBLASTER 170

TOTAL 1998

EDIT: fixing some math errors...

shaun03
21-09-2011, 05:48
one thing some one will quickly point out is that your over points in lord and heros. 25% should be around 500 for 2k. If its freindly game your opt might not care. How ever in tunry so one will call you out.
hope that helps

unheilig
21-09-2011, 05:57
one thing some one will quickly point out is that your over points in lord and heros. 25% should be around 500 for 2k. If its freindly game your opt might not care. How ever in tunry so one will call you out.
hope that helps

Lords and Heroes are 25% each.

my current snafu is that i overcosted the standard of discipline, which puts me under for my core requirements...

Mid'ean
21-09-2011, 18:20
I would drop just one Gut and get 2 sabretusk. They are just to handy not to have a couple in the army. Mage/warmaching hunting and the odd redirect or to hold up one unit they are priceless. And if my bruiser is going to be in the front lines I like the armor of destiny on him. Or are you planning on trying to keep him in the second row? I like your list. I have something similar. But I like the idea of the ME's, I would just have to get rid of my FB and change my bull unit into ME's.....Something to think about.....

narrativium
21-09-2011, 22:55
He can't drop a Gut. In fact, he needs to add one - 11 Ironguts, Standard of Discipline and Bellower comes to 508. The consequence of those six badly needed points, at the moment, I think means either reconsidering the magic items on one or both characters or reconsidering whether Maneaters need two handguns/that banner.

I'm yet to play a game with my new Ogre toys but it seems to me that you ought to decide what special rules you want your Maneaters to have before you're sure about including them in an army list. If it's just firepower you want then perhaps Leadbelchers would suit better? Six with a bellower would save you the points you need to confirm the core.

thesheriff
23-09-2011, 06:15
No hellheart?

I would suggest poison and sniper on the man-eaters.

thesheriff

CarlostheCraven
23-09-2011, 18:53
Hi

I have been enjoying great success with 6 scouting, stubborn Maneaters, with heavy armour and a mix of extra hand weapons and great weapons. Just last night they distracted, then destroyed, a unit of 15 Grail Knights by themselves.

I keep seeing the Ironblaster in lists and I have to confess that I don't really "get it". Ogres don't have trouble dealing with monsters. Why put 340 points into 200 points worth of cannon? Can someone explain to me why I should be attracted to this selection? (Or point me to a thread that explains it to me)

I would honestly drop at least one of the Ironblasters for 3 single sabertusks for war machine hunting and deployment delay. I would also add either a large unit of gnoblars to counter steadfast, or several small units for deployment delay. If you dropped them both, a unit of Ogres (nee Bulls) would also be included. For 344 points, you get 8 ogres with ironfists, 3x1 sabretusk, and 10 Gnoblars. Some tinkering can get you command if you want it.

Cheers,
Nate

narrativium
23-09-2011, 19:09
Ironblasters are for shooting heavy cavalry - the type of unit with a greater charge range than your Ogres, a higher initiative, 3+ or better to wound on the charge, and a 3+ armour save against all your Strength 4 attacks.

CarlostheCraven
23-09-2011, 19:22
Hi

I suppose that is valid and certainly cannon balls kill knights very well, but I figure using 25 point units of gnoblars or 21 point sabertusks counter knights very well, allowing you to set traps. The traps are actually easier to set than in the previous edition because the max a unit is overrunning/pursuit is 12" this time around, and you can pre-measure everything. They also provide deployment advantages (provided you don't mind giving up the +1 for first turn) and increase the number of threats you have on the table for dealing with war machines and the like.

Also, aside from a nice token unit of ogres that aren't lined up against a serious cav unit because I can dictate matchups, aren't Ironguts, Maneaters, and Mournfang Cav the real heart of an ogre force?

Cheers,
Nate

Gaargod
23-09-2011, 23:16
Ironguts aren't really for shooting knights. They actually work well for shooting down other artillery - which otherwise have a field day against ogres. They're also really, really solid in combat. For 70pts you get a MUCH hittier and tougher unit than a normal cannon, not to mention move and fire. And more reliable bounce.

Try to fit in the mandatory 3x1 sabretusks. For 63pts for 3 separate fast units, they're some of the best redirectors you'll see.

Morax
26-09-2011, 15:40
Ideas? suggestions? see any errors?

THE OGRES OF KISLEV

SLAUGHTERMASTER 385
Level 4, Fencer's Blades, Greedy Fist, Dispel Scroll
Lore of the Great Maw

Does he really need a greedy fist? The armor save won't help because he is using two handweapons and the ability to drain magic levels is mostly nullified by the fact that in combat with ogres most mages will just die. Great spot to save a few of the points you need to fill up your core.

BRUISER
Battle Standard, Heavy Armor, Great Weapon, Trickster's Helm 195
Does the unit of Ironguts need more high strength attacks? I would suggest arming him with an iron fist instead for a 3+/6++ in combat that combined with the helm will make him hard as nails.

10 IRONGUTS 500
Bellower, Standard Bearer, Standard of Discipline
(both characters go here)

4 MOURNFANGS 300
Ironfists, Heavy Armor, Bellower, Standard Bearer

4 MANEATERS 278
Brace of Handguns, Bellower, Standard Bearer, Banner of Eternal Flame
(special rules selection undecided)

I'll get into the special rules for these guys below as that can take up a fair amount of space.

1 IRONBLASTER 170

1 IRONBLASTER 170

Ironblasters, long range warmachine hunting in a chariot. Nice duel purpose units but the problem is they can blow up. Is the risk worth the reward? I would say no as you have other options that can go warmachine hunting almost as effectively for a fraction of the cost. 3 solo sabretusks do the same job for 1/6 of the cost. Add in a fast moving army and this becomes even less of an issue. The other job of the ironblaster, hard hitting support unit, is covered by maneaters and the mournfangs. Both of which are better at that job.

TOTAL 1998

EDIT: fixing some math errors...

Now to the maneaters. The banner of eternal flame is a nice accompanyment for the unit if you want to go monster hunting with them but it is horrible if you go character sniping. One could also argue against character sniping with a unit this size at all. 8 shots at long range, sniping, and multi-shooting will need 6's to hit averaging 1.3 poisoned wounds. With most characters (wizards included) having a 4++ or the ever present dragonbane gem/helm you are going to be hard pressed recouping your points with the poison/sniper set up. The scouting/sniper set-up I think would serve you better as you will be at short range more often and still able to pick out cheap characters for that turn you are not allowed to charge if you go first. In this set-up however they are used more as a hard hitting flanker then character sniper as they can be a real threat in a great position early in the game. Scouting/Stubborn is another great use for them as they can get up in a unit's face and then wear them down over subsequent turns. Lots of options here but, it really depends on how you want to use them.

Suggestions for changes: drop the greedy fist, change the great weapon on the BSB to an ironfist, drop the cannons, pick up 3 sabretusks, an extra 2 maneaters, and however many guts you can afford with left over points. The Ogre book now suffers from shiny syndrome, if you let it distract you too much your battle plan will be trying to do something that the ogres are not. keep your eye on the prize and you should do just fine.

unheilig
29-09-2011, 07:53
Second Draft

SLAUGHTERMASTER 382
Level 4, Additional Hand Weapon, Hellheart, Talisman of Preservation,

BRUISER
Battle Standard, Heavy Armor, Ironfist, Trickster's Helm 188

10 IRONGUTS 500
Bellower, Standard Bearer, Dragonhide Banner

4 MOURNFANGS 325
Ironfists, Heavy Armor, Full Command, Banner of Swiftness

6 MANEATERS 371
Standard Bearer, Musician, Heavy Armor, Additional Hand Weapon, Standard of Discipline
Scout, Stubborn

3 X 1 SABERTUSKS 63

IRONBLASTER 170

TOTAL 1999

Morax
29-09-2011, 11:51
Looks much harder to shift as everything in it is going to kill crap. Just a word of caution, make sure the Mournfangs are close to the BSB/general as the loss of a single model will cause a panic check when there are 4 of them.

Althwen
29-09-2011, 11:58
Just a question, I though Slaughtermasters were allowed to take magical armour, since they have acces to Iron fists. Wouldn't that make the Heavy armour with 4++ a better choice than just the 4++ talisman for only 5 more points?

Or am I completely in the wrong here?

Gooner
29-09-2011, 22:50
It's debatable if they are aloud to take magic armour other than shields. Decent list though.