PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tried Doom: The Board Game?

Azroth
02-06-2005, 19:06
Well, as the title says, anybody tried it? It certainly looks cool, but I thought I'd check around here a bit first before committing any money to it. Is it any good? Or do you know of other board games in roughly the same category that are better? Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Az

Arnizipal
02-06-2005, 19:20
I've played it. It's fun but hella slow.

We played the first level with two marines and it took us over two hours to finish it. Playing level two with three marines took the better part of an afternoon.

Another thing is there's way too little ammo on the map. Soon enough you'll be going head to head with hell knights using nothing but your bare fists. :eek:

But don't let these thing discourage you. It's a good (if slow) game. :)

EDIT: typo

Azroth
02-06-2005, 19:26
Thanks for the quick reply. Another important question I forgot to ask is: How is the re-play value? Are you bored after playing it a couple of times, or is it the kind of game you can play again and again and again (provided there's enough snack and beer of course)?

Arnizipal
02-06-2005, 19:42
Well, there's fixed positions for a number of monsters and events.
On the other hand, the gm has a number of cards he can use to play events on the marines (lights out, ammo dud, ...) and spawn extra monsters, so although the main objectives are the same each game is a little different.

Talkie Toaster
02-06-2005, 20:41
Thanks for the quick reply. Another important question I forgot to ask is: How is the re-play value? Are you bored after playing it a couple of times, or is it the kind of game you can play again and again and again (provided there's enough snack and beer of course)?
Since it's a pretty simple game to play, it's not really that hard for the GM to knock up new levels, or even weapons and monsters. Plus, if you include the bit about improving Marine's abilities as they progress through a campaign, it can help keep people interested long-term.

Lord Balor
03-06-2005, 10:52
Doom plays a lot like SpaceHulk/Hero Quest (Old School :P) and is made by Fantasyflight Games; a rising force in the wargaming industry. I've got some of thier original stuff(Thunder's Edge and expansion & Twilight 2nd Ed) and can vouch for thier quality.

If your after more information on Doom, the best place to go is thier site where you'll find extras like new scenarios and Difficulty levels.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/doom.html

Kaoslord
04-06-2005, 09:19
I've been seriously tempted to get it, just to have a laught with my mates. I might have to now, especially if it plays like the old hero quest... that'll be a lot of fun...