PDA

View Full Version : Running Mighty Empires in Email

arthurfallz
21-09-2011, 12:11
As the Thread Title suggests, I want to run a Mighty Empires game primarily through email, with the battles taking place in real life, but the rest organized through emails. The decision to try and run it all in email is to cut down on the time required for us all to meet (us = my play group), focusing on arranging the actual matches.

About the Map...with it being in email, the physical map will not be used*. So a digital map that can be easily viewed and manipulated is necessary. I don't necessarily need one I can do drag and drops on through Flash or something, or huge real-time changes - a map could be digitally drawn and played with, saved and reposted would be my idea, than hosted on Google Docs or emailed out.

Can my fellow Warseers find any other faults in the idea, or suggest some good strategies? Has anyone else tried this?

* I also find that unless you are playing in a store league or something, the map is kind of a pain to have left out, basically swallowing a table surface for months on end.

jack da greenskin
21-09-2011, 12:17
I think you should make the digital version of the map, with a grid or hex thing overlay so each region is clearly labelled (A2 or B3, that kind of thing?) That way, everyone can have a copy of the map and you can add flags or colour tints, and easily say which region you are fighting for.

So yeah, I think its more than possible,

* I also find that unless you are playing in a store league or something, the map is kind of a pain to have left out, basically swallowing a table surface for months on end.

Pin it on a wall?

smdvogrin
21-09-2011, 13:52
This software is what I used to make the map for a campaign at our LGS:
http://www.hexographer.com/

It can export maps as a .png graphics file, so it should work fine to stick up on a website, and the free version did everything I needed it to do for us.

arthurfallz
21-09-2011, 13:57
This software is what I used to make the map for a campaign at our LGS:
http://www.hexographer.com/

It can export maps as a .png graphics file, so it should work fine to stick up on a website, and the free version did everything I needed it to do for us.

Fantastic! That looks like pretty much what I need. And Jack, numbering / lettering the hexes is also a great idea, thanks!

Rogue
21-09-2011, 18:14
I did one about 6 years ago just about what you are talking about and it worked out fine. Personally I would still have a physical map if you are basing this out of a store and the store is willing to display it for everyone to see when they come in for their games. However I would have the map posted online for all to see. Also I would suggest that you put together a turn form for everyone's convenience.

arthurfallz
21-09-2011, 18:19
I did one about 6 years ago just about what you are talking about and it worked out fine. Personally I would still have a physical map if you are basing this out of a store and the store is willing to display it for everyone to see when they come in for their games. However I would have the map posted online for all to see. Also I would suggest that you put together a turn form for everyone's convenience.

It's just a game between friends, we don't play out of stores - sometimes at one of the local stores.