PDA

View Full Version : New to Warhammer looking for some advise

fish1899
21-09-2011, 23:24
Hello Warseer,

So I have been debating on trying out Warhammer for some time and after watching some people play at an open game night I have decided to give it a go. I have been looking through fluff and have narrowed down the armies I would like to start with to the vampire counts, lizardmen, and dark elves. I was also wondering where to start. The local game store clerk had mentioned the battallion boxs as a good start. Also is it kosher to start playing with an army that is not painted or partially painted (As I can see that it will take some time to paint and base an army). Thanks for any advice.

Fish1899

PS. I did ask a similar question in another thread due to bieng new to warseer, but wanted to start my own thread so not to hijack someone elses.

MLP
21-09-2011, 23:35
Firstly welcome to warhammer!

The battleforces are indeed a good place to start for any army. You get enough in the box to play a small game. Although you'll need the army book as well.

You won't be able to use unpainted armies in a games workshop store and in your independent stores and games club it'll local policy or depend on your opponent really. Most people don't seem to mind playing unpainted especially if you're new to the hobby.

With the armies you mentioned lizardmen can be pretty quick and easy to paint to a tabletop standard requiring not much more than a base colour and some weapons detail!

Hope that helps :)

Doommasters
22-09-2011, 03:50
This is what i would do:

1) Go along to your local GW store and ask for an introduction game (ask to play with the armies you like), go when they are not busy and play a full game. Even if you have to buy an army book or something to feel better about it. Trust me it is worth it, people that work there love the game so if they are not busy will be more than happy to play a game with you.

2) If there is more than one GW store do the same as above again :-)

3) Find out where your local game groups are and what nights they play

4) Go along to a club and chat with people and talk warhammer, most people in these sorts of games are friendly even if odd haha. Chances are people will have spare armies that you can play if you contact them in advance.

5) Get your hands on an 8th edition rule book and read the army books, ask lots of questions

6) Don't get to woried about which army is more powerful than the next, the fluff is what will keep you interested over the long term.

7) Once you have decided on the army you like start small, i.e what color scheme are you thinking about (paints are expensive), how big an army do you need (what is the average sized game at your club?).

8) Not only do you need models you need other things including; paint, paintbrushes, glue, greenstuff, clippers (cutting models from skews), fine files (smooth out edges) and other stuff.

9) This all adds up super fast, trust me. If you start small you can always get bigger.

10) Hunt around GW is not the only place that makes models, Mantic for example is a good place to start if you are going undead.

11) Have fun

12) Don't worry about not having a fully painted army, your local group will just be glad to have another player. If they make a fuss they are probably not worth playing with.

13) Do some research on painting, there are some simple tips that will make a big difference i.e. mixing paints, shading, highlighting etc

14) Less paint is more, when it looks good stop painting the model and move on to the next

MrCarbohydrate
22-09-2011, 04:19
Oh man, I wish I had the options to do steps 1-4 up there.

Anyways, make sure you decide which army you want to play first. The battalion boxes are great starts if you're getting something you can use in them; the Dark Elf battalion box is one of the better ones in my opinion.

Again though, try out the game, ask around, find people to play with first. Warhammer isn't really cheap, though it's not as expensive as most people make it out to be.

Jind_Singh
22-09-2011, 05:36
Assuming you have access to gaming groups/tables/nice people to spend time with...

As a new comer to the hobby...welcome! It's a great hobby and I think you'll have a lot of fun! As a newbie I would narrow the choice down to:

Dark Elves
Lizardmen

DO NOT go with Vampire for now - they are just too strange an army for a newbie - I would leave them for your second army once you've got a few games under your belt!

How do you decide between the 2?

Models - which army has THE MOST nice models from their entire range
Background - which army has the best stories that reach out to you on some emotional level and get you excited to read more about them?

And your choice is made - TA DA!

Simple as, as you have to like the models and like the background to make it work - otherwise you end up wasting time & money - and you could even kill the hobby before it even starts!

As for were to start:

Ebay, Craigslist, or elsewhere to get access to a new 8th Ed rulebook (small one)
Battalion box
Character
Big Model - and center piece model you'd like to collect and own in your army.
Army book

And then you assemble your 1st 500pts, glue sand on the bases, apply a second layer of PVA glue on the sand to seal them in, and then prime them.

Now you're ready to rock it! Play lots, and lots, and lots of games at 500pts to get the hang, once you know what you like take that direction!

In the meantime paint the models up - basecoat plus washes - and your well on the way to a long, happy, and successful gaming career in Warhammer!

Take it from me (from someone who has collected tens of thousands of points of models over time), don't, and I repeat, DO NOT buy a whole whack of models right away! Take your time, build and prime EVERYTHING before you move onto a new purchase!

This is CRITICAL!!

Other than that have fun and welcome!

fish1899
22-09-2011, 19:27
Thank you for all the advice. After reading some more fluff and really looking at the models I have decided to go with the lizardmen. I am thinking of picking up the battallion box, and a slann to start. I also will be picking up a rulebook and arny book. Is there anything else I should think of picking up besides paint and basing materials.

Thanks Again,

Fish1899