PDA

View Full Version : Does GW photoshop the paint jobs the models on their website?

PurpleSun
21-09-2011, 23:31
I have been studying some of the WHFB models on GW's website and cannot figure out how a human hand with a detail brush could actually paint to the level of detail shown in the pictures?

Although I am mainly looking at Fantasy models, this 40K figure is perhaps the best example of an OTT paint job:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440161a&prodId=prod1320006a

Maybe my painting skills are lacking, but I could not imagine how you could do the eyebrows, eyes, and highlighting on the black armor.

[Posting Note: If this is the wrong section of the forum to post this question, please feel free to chastise me as much as you like]

NixonAsADaemonPrince
21-09-2011, 23:34
With lots of practice ;) Looks legit to me.

b4z
21-09-2011, 23:34
Its a human paint job, and yes it is possible with a brush.

However they DO digitally enhance their photos, just like the fashion industry... colours/contrast/blur etc.

NTJ2010
22-09-2011, 00:05
Yeah and bear in mind that is their job. They aren't crunching numbers or doing paper work or anything like that (as far as I know) but instead they were hired for their painting ability and that is what they do day to day. They posted in their blog, I think last week, about someone who was their most recently hired, he had to send pictures of what he's painted and on his first day he had to replicate, as exactly as possible, the Space Marine Company Standard (or something like that) and he had it almost EXACTLY the same (there's a few differences but it's like playing "spot the difference" the game).

StormCrow
22-09-2011, 00:13
Yeah, some of the 'eavy metal painters have been honing their technique over many years and now they're capable of extraordinary things. You don't have to be working for games workshop to be one of the best though (http://www.coolminiornot.com/263248?browseid=377138)

GawFang
22-09-2011, 00:20
They really are just as good as they look in the photos, but as others have said they do tweak the photos too. If you ever get a chance to visit warhammer world they have a lot of them on display and if anything they look even better.

Gir
22-09-2011, 00:22
I read somewhere that it takes longer to paint the models for the boces/website then it does to sculpt them.

Korraz
22-09-2011, 00:32
Are they shopping them? You bet. This is about advertising, why would you NOT improve them digitally?
But the paintjob? That one's legit. I've seen far batter things than that Lhamean. Fiddling a bit with the light? Sure. Highlights? It's the job of the painters to do that.

Nubl0
22-09-2011, 02:43
As others have stated, it's their job to paint well and paint well consitantly.. otherwise they would get fired heh. The 'eavy metal team have done some extrordinary stuff, although recently some of their paint jobs have been real stinkers e.g. the new minotaurs; really well painted but the extreme highlights make me want to vomit.

Liber
22-09-2011, 07:14
really well painted but the extreme highlights make me want to vomit.

THANK YOU

i thought maybe i was the only one that had noticed...what is with them and lining every damn thing with bold strokes of bleached bone lately? (or what i would guess is bleached bone)

i think the new feral orcs are the best (and therefore worst) example of this.

the models are brilliant, but with the paint job the look to me like they are made of well...plastic :shifty:

Bodysnatcher
22-09-2011, 07:20
Fashions come and go. Extreme highlights, NMM, directional lighting etc.

At least we're out of the red phase.

Urgat
22-09-2011, 10:39
Its a human paint job, and yes it is possible with a brush.

However they DO digitally enhance their photos, just like the fashion industry... colours/contrast/blur etc.

They also multiply spiders the same way Jesus multiply bread :D
And I'm with the people hating extreme highlights. It's always a killer on female minis, really.

Andy p
22-09-2011, 11:02
To be fair it's their job and they spend all their time painting, I long ago stopped trying to paint first class models simply because A) I dont have the time, B) I have the artistic talent of a banana, C) I dont have that much patience when it comes to painting and finally D) Because I actually wanted to be able to play with a fully painted army sometime in the next 20+ years.

If id spent as much time honing my painting skills as members of the Eavy Metal team do or rather as long as it would take me to be as good as them, I wouldn't have the money for any of the paints or models in the first place. But that might be my incredibly slow learning style.

I mean I only learned how to do a rudimentary style of blending about a week ago and yet ive been collecting and painting for about 17+ years.

Spyral
22-09-2011, 11:22
I just try to paint 'decently' Eavy metal is fine but it's not for me.

Erazmus_M_Wattle
22-09-2011, 11:33
I remember Keith Robertson warning me about how I handled the minis. They don't use varnish and all the tiny highlights can rub if on your fingers. Yes they really do paint all the details. So no. Photoshop isn't used to add details. It's all painted. However they have used Photoshop to add extra details or different details in the instances where they used photoshop to clone a miniature to make them different.

wbravenboer
22-09-2011, 11:40
I've been to Warhammer World and walked around in the Gallery. The detail on the models shown there is absolutely incredible. They are really that detailed as on the pictures, it is a very humbling experience to witness what those painters can do...

yabbadabba
22-09-2011, 11:43
The other thing to bear in mind is that GW does not paint their models for gaming, but for display and photography. As such the highlights will be harder or harsher in real life in order to draw out the maximum detail when being looked at/photo'd. When I have looked at Studio models up close, while the brush quality is at times breathtaking, the colouring is always too exaggerated for me.

And if I remember right while GW pushes for the best quality the painters do not always get the chance to have a practice run on a model. Sometimes they do have to make do with what they can produce first time around. Obviously not always, but sometimes.

StarFyreXXX
22-09-2011, 11:58
Check out some of Jeremie Bonamant's freehand works if you want to see some truly insane stuff :)

Sanjay

wbravenboer
22-09-2011, 11:58
If you ever get the chance to go to Lenton, take your time and enjoy. Especially the dioramas are wonderful to look at and discover all kinds of suprises and little treasures. I call the painters Artists, what they do should be consider an art. I agree that these models are not for gaming purposes. If only I could do 10% as good, I would be very proud.

Baggers
22-09-2011, 12:15
I read somewhere that it takes longer to paint the models for the boces/website then it does to sculpt them.

No, thats not true. The painters do have tight schedules to paint to, as do the scupltors, but the sculptors have longer schedules.

yabbadabba
22-09-2011, 12:43
Its about a day a model for the studio, with some allowances obviously.

sssk
22-09-2011, 12:44
You don't have to go far to find some amazing paint jobs. Just check out the painting logs on warseer.

One of my favorites at the moment is Lord Dan's empire log. Even just having a check now (to make sure I was thinking of the right log) I find that he's put up some new pictures of his cannon with candles, and the lighting effects he's done on the barrel made me fire coffee out of my nose and back into the coffee cup!

Indeed there are tons of really good logs in there actually. There are the ones which inspire you and make you think "maybe I could do that", and then there are the ones which make you take a step back, more like an art gallery than a painting log (I think Sigur's log is one of those).

And the two named examples I've used there are just examples which I happen to have looked at recently.

There are some insanely skilled people out there

Geep
22-09-2011, 12:50
with a detail brush
If you're used to GW brushes only, then you really don't know how good or small brushes can get. Smaller brushes aren't always better for detail, but the smallest GW brush is still comparatively fat compared to some.

Also- these people take good care of their brushes and could frequently get new ones once a point is lost. It's easy to forget how much more detail you can get with a good point- and how many casual gamers obsess over this?

UberBeast
22-09-2011, 17:14
Yeah, that's entirely a human paintjob, and not much of a fancy one imo either.

kyussinchains
22-09-2011, 17:22
I take it the OP hasn't been to warhammer world and seen some of these paintjobs first hand then?

I remember seeing the Mike McVey Emperor vs. Horus diorama in white dwarf and being impressed, but seeing it in person and looking at the hundreds of hair-thin, perfectly highlighted and shaded swirls on the emperor's armour, or the jagged pattern freehanded on Horus just blew my mind, the Emperor's detail I didn't even spot when it was in white dwarf......

PurpleSun
22-09-2011, 17:56
I take it the OP hasn't been to warhammer world and seen some of these paintjobs first hand then?

I remember seeing the Mike McVey Emperor vs. Horus diorama in white dwarf and being impressed, but seeing it in person and looking at the hundreds of hair-thin, perfectly highlighted and shaded swirls on the emperor's armour, or the jagged pattern freehanded on Horus just blew my mind, the Emperor's detail I didn't even spot when it was in white dwarf......

This is going to out me as a complete neub (even though I have been playing and painting for about 4 years), but what is Warhammer World and where is it?

gorenut
22-09-2011, 18:26
Fashions come and go. Extreme highlights, NMM, directional lighting etc.

At least we're out of the red phase.

Also glad we're out of the "lets not make the paint job too good so people don't get discouraged (lowering self-esteem) or think we Photoshopped them" phase.

Then again.. I haven't purchased a White Dwarf in years, so I'm not sure if they're still doing the purposely simplistic and low quality paint jobs in there to "inspire" newbies.

Threeshades
22-09-2011, 18:43
There's a lot of photoshopping in that picture but none of it done to enhance the paint job. some People can actually do that on a miniature. I once managed to actually put a pair of accurate looking pupils on a model's eyes myself, every try before and after failed miserably, until I just decided to let eyes kind of go under in the shading.

Student
22-09-2011, 19:26
This is going to out me as a complete neub (even though I have been playing and painting for about 4 years), but what is Warhammer World and where is it?

Warhammer World is GW's HQ. Its in Nottingham, UK and they have a room full of citadel miniatures painted by 'Eavy Metal, a large gaming room and a bar called Bugman's. Read more here: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=2200008&aId=6900041a

PurpleSun
23-09-2011, 00:30

I figured out why I had never heard of Warhammer World. It is about 3,725 miles from my front door to Nottingham, England.

I shall, of course, make it a point to stop by Warhammer World should I find myself in jolly old England.

Rosstifer
23-09-2011, 01:29
Yeah, that's entirely a human paintjob, and not much of a fancy one imo either.

Wow, way too make us feel bad. That paintjob is a million times better than I could ever do, and I thought I as a decent ish painter... :cries:

The bearded one
23-09-2011, 01:34
Gonna agree with Uberbeast. I figure if I can do this (I should finish it some day.. for a painting competition maybe..), http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c140/edgarschippers/DSC06734.jpg than I should be able to match some of 'eavy metals regular paintjobs :)

why yes, I'm showing off.. thank you for noticing.

UberBeast
23-09-2011, 03:19
Very nice NMM going on there Mr. Beardy!

herbtarkel
23-09-2011, 03:23
Gonna agree with Uberbeast. I figure if I can do this (I should finish it some day.. for a painting competition maybe..), http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c140/edgarschippers/DSC06734.jpg than I should be able to match some of 'eavy metals regular paintjobs :)

Pretty good! Now finish him! Finish him, I say! :D

Rosstifer
26-09-2011, 07:30

Thats some sweet NMM, you should be able to match the regular paintjobs of 'Eavy Metal no problems.

...However, when they turn it up to 11, they REALLY turn it up to 11...

http://www.coolminiornot.com/220005?browseid=491481

http://www.coolminiornot.com/201084?browseid=491481

the_slosh
26-09-2011, 19:04
Yeah, some of the 'eavy metal painters have been honing their technique over many years and now they're capable of extraordinary things. You don't have to be working for games workshop to be one of the best though (http://www.coolminiornot.com/263248?browseid=377138)

If you havent clicked and had at look at that freehand.....
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Do so....
:cries:
Amazing

muse1c
26-09-2011, 19:36

I think what you forget are the tight deadlines, but also the variety of models the 'Eavy metal team have to tackle. I assume you chose to paint that marine, and in the way that you have (NMM is very well done btw :) ), but a studio painter has to paint whatever lands on their desk- it takes a lot of talent to be that good, and versatile.

Lord Inquisitor
26-09-2011, 19:46
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=300004&pIndex=0&aId=9000001&multiPageMode=true&start=1

This was one I've seen in real life and was one of the few models that I've seen that absolutely beggared belief that it could be done by human hand with a paintbrush. The scroll is insane. It's also one of the few times I've been to Golden Demon and been able to say one particular model is going to be the slayer sword winner without any doubt.

spurker
26-09-2011, 20:44
I find it amusing that the choice seems seems to be (a) human skill or (b) photoshop. Completely ignoring the fact that photoshop can require a high level of human skill (althought not necessarily talent)! (and yes this is probably in the wrong forum, GW general is where I reckon it should be).
Also, I have a friend who used to work at forgeworld, and he really is that good, so they probably aren't shopped. Many years of education in art and even more of practice is what did it.

Andy p
26-09-2011, 22:32
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=300004&pIndex=0&aId=9000001&multiPageMode=true&start=1

This was one I've seen in real life and was one of the few models that I've seen that absolutely beggared belief that it could be done by human hand with a paintbrush. The scroll is insane. It's also one of the few times I've been to Golden Demon and been able to say one particular model is going to be the slayer sword winner without any doubt.

Urge to snap paint brushes in two...rising...RISING!!!!

Of course im not going to give up really....:D. But I have to say that paintjobs like that are so unbelievably daunting and amazingly inspiring at the same time.
One of the worst realisations ive ever had with this hobby is the sudden dawning that I am not an artistically or creatively minded person, well I can be creative in writing and with words maybe, but when it comes to art of any kind I am completely stumped.

I am, however, a believer in the idea that hard work and practice will eventually see you through, talent or no talent. I love playing the hobby too of course and for the purposes of playing tabletop games, models painted like that one are impractical, but it would be nice to have something that I can look at and go: "Im proud that I painted this, for once it came out exactly as I imagined it would".

Oh well I suppose I should just keep trying.

Jedi152
26-09-2011, 22:38
They don't photoshop the paint, you can see the models at Warhammer World.

They photoshop the scenes for books and WD. The 'Eavy Metal Vostroyan army consists of about 40 models that they copy and paste for pictures.

mattjgilbert
26-09-2011, 22:57
If you ever get the chance to go to Lenton, take your time and enjoy. Especially the dioramas are wonderful to look at and discover all kinds of suprises and little treasures.

This ^.
And to this day, the best painter they ever had was Mike McVey. Some of his models on display are incredible. He was so far ahead of his time in terms of skill and technique.

ey Emperor vs. Horus diorama in white dwarf and being impressed, but seeing it in person and looking at the hundreds of hair-thin, perfectly highlighted and shaded swirls on the emperor's armour, or the jagged pattern freehanded on Horus just blew my mind, the Emperor's detail I didn't even spot when it was in white dwarf......100% agree - it's amazing

Trustey
26-09-2011, 23:03
Obviously photoshop. Those scrubs can't paint. Look at a 1990's White Dwarf before photoshop... the paintjobs weren't nearly that good. :D