PDA

View Full Version : House Rules?

Ivan Zhuk
22-09-2011, 07:27
Ok maybe this has been done a few times in the past (but not within the last 2 pages of threads =P ). I am just wondering what house rules everyone uses when playing with friends?

We have two with where we play (one small one rule changing)
1) We only accept dice rolls that are on the table and flat aka not tilted on bases or anything
2) We do not use the unit most common toughness for rolls in shooting and whatnot (we roll each specific model individually)

yet again these are only the house rules of course not anything for tourney play

PostinDirty
22-09-2011, 08:08
each specific unit, or model? do you mean you allocate hits first before rolling to wound?

Wallaby64
22-09-2011, 08:10
1) FNP on a 5+
2) No Characters allowed whatsoever
3) No more than 20% of your army point value may be spent on upgrades

elite_dannux
22-09-2011, 08:18
Its your game, feel free to do whatever you want with it.

Our house rules is that we follow the SweFAQ. (Tournament standard in Sweden).

Warsmith Tharak
22-09-2011, 09:17
Only house rule we have is that if a model are not painted, you can not use it.

radical ed
22-09-2011, 10:42
2) No Characters allowed whatsoever

I understand why some groups do this, but really dont agree with it, as it invalidates some Codex's. Dark Angels spring to mind. Using this rule, your group cant run Deathwing, or Ravenwing armies. Seems a real shame to ban such fluffy and hardly uber compititive armies. I can understand banning Hestan (C:SM), but Belial?

Spyral
22-09-2011, 11:34
Standard cover is 5+ not 4+

omegoku
22-09-2011, 12:28
Only dice on the table count, if they are not flat on the table, reroll
Roll your run dice before moving unit in the movement phase, where possible. This is an option that can pick up the pace of games, but is not a hard rule.

Rated_lexxx
22-09-2011, 13:31
seems like some of these house rules are to battle specific armies. That is where I see the most common house rule.

My nobz have FNP and people hate that so they come up with the house rule of FNP on 5+

Dwane Diblie
22-09-2011, 13:42
Snipers that roll a 6 to hit get to designate target. Eldar Rangers have to choose the target or the AP1, can't have both. Also we have no Tau players but I guess if we ever got one then we would apply it to the Mini Railgun thing they have.

Squadrons only abandon in they move out of coherancy.

shadekiller
22-09-2011, 14:33
We only use house rule tat speed up the game, like rolling the run dice in the movement phase whenever possible. We used to ban SC maybe 5 years ago but now they are as much integral part of an army than tactical marines so we respect everyone in their choise of army, I don't find it legitimate to ban something be it a SC or not form a codex. We don't use any house rule that modify any rules or codex with the exeption of the Inat FAQ. Thrust me it's way more balanced this way.

Bunnahabhain
22-09-2011, 15:09
All the time:
No unpainted models
If you don't have your books, army list etc, you're buying the drinks.
Really daft FAQs ignored or modified. ( ie Jaws does not hit jetbikes, regardless of strict RAW)

Often:
'True' los replaced with size categories for models and terrain
Version 1.1 of the codex is in use. Accepted fixes to rebalance roughly overly good, bad or daft* units in place, without drastically changing the shape of the codex.. ( i.e....
Vendettas lose transport capacity and go up 15pts.
Vanquishers become S10 AP1 ordnance, with the co-axial rule from FW.
Nork deddog totally re-written, to be actually useful as a bodyguard, and no longer on a par with spawn and etherals...

witchunter180
22-09-2011, 15:44
1) dice rolls on table count
2)if a dispute can't be resovled clearly, roll a dice (1-3/4-6 for 2-sided dispute)

local house tournie rules
1) 3 color paint min
2) army list on paper before tournie starts(not neccisarily army buidler)
3) 1/4 min GW model for conversions

Gingerwerewolf
22-09-2011, 16:04
We only have one heavily used House rule for the Chaos Marine Boys: If a Unit has an Icon of a Power, or are dedicated to a Power, and their squad size is the powers holy number, then they count as being a full 10 men for what weapons they can choose from the list of Special and Heavy Weapons.

Thus a unit of eight Chaos Space Marines with a Mark of Khorne can take a Special and a Heavy Weapon.

Its not much of a house rule but it makes us all happier about our Chaos Armies. Yes there are four of us, and yes we each have a power... ol pappa Nurgle for me!

Sami
22-09-2011, 16:46
Trialed the following before:

1) A non-vehicle unit shooting at a transport may hold back some of their firepower to shoot the passengers if the transport explodes (has to be declared before shooting), i.e use an anti-tank weapon to pop the transport, then the anti-infantry on any passengers that emerge. Said unit can't move or assault during that turn, and if the tank doesn't explode the other guys do nothing. This actually made regular tactical marines pretty devastating (along with other multi-role squads), and something IMO should be considered for 6th.

2) Vehicle squadrons only abandon when out of coherencey of an immobilized vehicle (because the current rule is daft, and again needs to be changed for 6th).

Codsticker
22-09-2011, 16:50
As this is not a rules query I am moving it to 40K General.

Codsticker

The Warseer Mod Squad

Threeshades
22-09-2011, 17:10
All the time:
No unpainted models
If you don't have your books, army list etc, you're buying the drinks.
Really daft FAQs ignored or modified. ( ie Jaws does not hit jetbikes, regardless of strict RAW)

Often:
'True' los replaced with size categories for models and terrain
Version 1.1 of the codex is in use. Accepted fixes to rebalance roughly overly good, bad or daft* units in place, without drastically changing the shape of the codex.. ( i.e....
Vendettas lose transport capacity and go up 15pts.
Vanquishers become S10 AP1 ordnance, with the co-axial rule from FW.
Nork deddog totally re-written, to be actually useful as a bodyguard, and no longer on a par with spawn and etherals...

So you ignore pretty much the entire Tyranid FaQ? Man I wanna play in your group.

Bunnahabhain
22-09-2011, 17:13
So you ignore pretty much the entire Tyranid FaQ? Man I wanna play in your group.

No. No Nid players around much, so no need to ignore it.

The increased variety of lists you see, and the increased fun you have by doing the balancing work GW refuse to do is well worth it.

Carlosophy
22-09-2011, 18:06
- Pre-measuring ranges and charges allowed.
- All off-table and cocked dice get re-rolled
- Shooting a mix of 3E and 4E: TLOS, check range, roll to hit, roll to/w, defender make saves, defender remove casualties from visible models only. Excess hits are wasted.
- Squads may rapid fire/fire heavy weapons on a per-model basis, not per squad, so if by bolter guys move my lascannon guy can still shoot b/c he stayed still.
- Run in the movement phase where possible
- Tanks treat all friendly units as open ground for movement purposes

Chem-Dog
22-09-2011, 18:25
Cocked dice get re-rolled (seriously cocked, so you can't easily decide on a result), dice off the table too.
Running can be done in the movement phase along with normal movement.

Roll a "D2" if you can't agree on something. This one don't come up often as there's often somebody not involved in a game that can look it up while other things are done.

Not house rules as such but I'll always allow players to pick up things they've forgotten to do, like a move in the middle of the shooting phase or remembering to DS in the middle of a turn.

owen matthew
22-09-2011, 18:58
We play 100% by the book. We paly a lot of tourneys, so house rules gum up the works. We still play for fun, but still with the rules.

SIDE NOTE: GW rules are a universal language, like math (joking, but not really). I have been around the world several times and played many games in many countries were I did not speak the language, and had a great time doing so. Its a surreal thing to not be able to ask where a bathroom is, but be able to play a serious game of 40K!

if a die is cocked we test it by placing another die on its face, if it falls off or cannot rest there by itself the die is re-rolled, if everything balances the roll stands.

If a die is not rolled onto the table you are jeered for missing the broad side of a barn! Seriously, nothing on the floor counts.

Oh yeah, roll-off to determine rules dissagreement.

daveNYC
22-09-2011, 19:48
We only have one heavily used House rule for the Chaos Marine Boys: If a Unit has an Icon of a Power, or are dedicated to a Power, and their squad size is the powers holy number, then they count as being a full 10 men for what weapons they can choose from the list of Special and Heavy Weapons.

A non-vehicle unit shooting at a transport may hold back some of their firepower to shoot the passengers if the transport explodes (has to be declared before shooting), i.e use an anti-tank weapon to pop the transport, then the anti-infantry on any passengers that emerge. Said unit can't move or assault during that turn, and if the tank doesn't explode the other guys do nothing. This actually made regular tactical marines pretty devastating (along with other multi-role squads), and something IMO should be considered for 6th.

I like these two. Though the second one must rack up a heck of a body count.

Sami
22-09-2011, 22:12
Though the second one must rack up a heck of a body count.

To begin with yes, but very quickly people adapted from using transports as predominantly mobile fire-bunkers and instead used them to actually transport stuff and then eject the passengers. If the vehicle also had weapons (Raiders, Razorbacks, etc), you still had the hard choice of whether to target the vehicle or the unit that disembarked the turn before.

And while it benefitted my DE army a lot (our poison weapons do nothing to vehicles at all times, and all Warrior squads have an anti-tank weapon), the fragility of Raiders meant I got beat down just as often as I took advantage of the rules. Not being able to move or assault kept it pretty balance, otherwise it would just turn into a race of who can rush forward and get into shooting range first.

RobPro
22-09-2011, 23:25
No fat chicks.

Rated_lexxx
23-09-2011, 03:06
No fat chicks.

bah-zing *rim shot*

Col. Dash
23-09-2011, 04:04
I wasnt really aware this was a house rule until recently but we ignore the wings and tail thing of flyers being off the table not being legal. Also flyers can only be assualted from the base and all movement/ terrain effects are based off the base.

Terrain declared ahead of time counts as area. Ie forest templates are forested templates not 3 or 4 individual trees and the whole template blocks LOS to vehicles providing a cover save regardless if a tree is in the way or not. Has to be declared now days because we have had some new players from elsewhere show up and they play by RAW and it has caused games to be lost and arguements from long time players and newer people. Also craters only give cover saves if whoever is using it is in the actual crater. Can be shot across with no problems or saves.

jt.glass
23-09-2011, 09:18
Not house rules as such but I'll always allow players to pick up things they've forgotten to do, like a move in the middle of the shooting phase or remembering to DS in the middle of a turn.We'd allow the former, but not the latter. The difference being, a unit coming on from Reserve is not optional so by not doing it you are inadventantly breaking the rules. The least disruptive thing is to fix the mistake when it is discovered.

We play 100% by the book. We paly a lot of tourneys, so house rules gum up the works. We still play for fun, but still with the rules.This is a fine idea in theory, but it leads to some very wonky results in practice. For example, do you really play that a monolith's no of shots goes up with Weapon Destroyed damage? If the answer is "yes" - decidedly wonky result. If the answer is "no", house rule.

Since we (my circle of gaming friends) don't like things like weapons destroyed making guns better, we have lots of houserules - most of them for minor bits of wonkiness like that.

We don't have any really big ones, except in Apocalypse where such things are de riguor (where we have completely re-written all the Strategic Assets, and the victory conditions for the standard mission).

glass.

bossfearless
23-09-2011, 10:42
It's amazing to see how many people consider the "roll off" to be a house rule. Pretty sure it was in there as the "hand of fate" rule in previous editions. I often suggest this to get through a time-eating rules debate when the answer isn't in the book, but no one ever takes that offer. Because if they're stubborn enough to nerd-rage up to that point, then they're stubborn enough to refute any and all means of settling it fairly. Same as how the 5+ vehicle cover rule never gets used. Someone always moans, calls the judge, moans at the judge until the judge decides either "full cover" or "no cover." I've never seen a 5+ "marginal" vehicle cover save rolled.

omegoku
23-09-2011, 11:27
We use 5+ cover all the time, if vehicles or infantry are debatably in cover, 5+.. move on

Rated_lexxx
23-09-2011, 12:51
We'd allow the former, but not the latter. The difference being, a unit coming on from Reserve is not optional so by not doing it you are inadventantly breaking the rules. The least disruptive thing is to fix the mistake when it is discovered.

This is a fine idea in theory, but it leads to some very wonky results in practice. For example, do you really play that a monolith's no of shots goes up with Weapon Destroyed damage? If the answer is "yes" - decidedly wonky result. If the answer is "no", house rule.

Since we (my circle of gaming friends) don't like things like weapons destroyed making guns better, we have lots of houserules - most of them for minor bits of wonkiness like that.

We don't have any really big ones, except in Apocalypse where such things are de riguor (where we have completely re-written all the Strategic Assets, and the victory conditions for the standard mission).

glass.

How does the no of shots go up with a weapon destroyed results

Bunnahabhain
23-09-2011, 13:04
How does the no of shots go up with a weapon destroyed results

As the rules says something like " For each weapon destroyed result, it loses - 1 shots.."

loses -1 = +1. Doh!

igwarlord
23-09-2011, 18:18
are you sure that its a negative (-) and not a dash (-)???
In all honesty your the only person i have ever heard of that needed this rule

edit :YA! 250th post!

Lord Gabranth
23-09-2011, 18:23
As the rules says something like " For each weapon destroyed result, it loses - 1 shots.."

loses -1 = +1. Doh!

So the no. of shots does go down for every weapon destroyed result? Because the way that I read it was that if I were to get, say, 2 weapon destroyed results on a monolith then when it goes to use the gauss flux arc projector to shoot at any unit within 12" of it then it does D6-2. Right?

Back OT though:
And as for house rules at my LGS we still use the allies rules and dont allow premeasuring for anything. Its one of those things that makes the game really fun for me when I have to declare a target to fire at and then see if Im in range

Leftenant Gashrog
23-09-2011, 20:15

*exhales as if punched to the stomach* that's a good one!

Helicon_One
23-09-2011, 20:56
I ignore the IG weapons team '2 guys 1 base' stupidity and just treat the gunner and loader as seperate models (I use 2nd Ed metal Cadians and I'm not tearing all my bases off and pairing them up on a 60mm). There's some circumstances where that's beneficial (its an extra lasgun when shooting from stationary, if nothing else) so I pay an additional 5pts for my heavy weapons.

RobPro
25-09-2011, 18:18
So the no. of shots does go down for every weapon destroyed result? Because the way that I read it was that if I were to get, say, 2 weapon destroyed results on a monolith then when it goes to use the gauss flux arc projector to shoot at any unit within 12" of it then it does D6-2. Right?

That is how it is suppose to work.

"for each weapon destroyed result reduce number of shots fired by -1"

What happens when you reduce something by -1? You add 1.

Deadnight
25-09-2011, 18:39

So, essentially, RAW wording puts it at being-(-1) shot, right?

cheeky... :)

Lord Gabranth
25-09-2011, 20:45

So essential by RAW the Monolith will work something like this: 2 weapon destroyed results equals that any enemy within 12" of the Gauss Flux Arc will take D6+2 shots? Man and people were complaining about the typos in the WD SoB update.

Haravikk
25-09-2011, 21:57
1) Against troop transports, a damage-table result of 1-3 results in 1 hit against the vehicle's passengers at the weapon's Strength and AP D6, while a result of 4-6 results in D3 hits. Vehicle wrecked inflicts a hit on each model at Strength 4, AP5, while vehicle destroyed inflicts a hit per model at Strength 5 AP4.
2) Models firing from a vehicle may only fire a single shot from an Assault or Rapid Fire weapon that would normally qualify as a Defensive Weapon, and which does not use any form of template.

Significantly reduces dedicated transport effectiveness, which encourages people to take a bit less anti-mech, which causes it to balance out overall, and completely nerfs silly mobile shooting bunkers.

Not at all, unlike subtraction, which is a purely mathematical concept in which two negatives can make a positive, "reduce" always means to make smaller. Reducing by -1 makes sense, as in order to perform the reduction, you minus a value of 1.