PDA

View Full Version : Charging more than one unit - awkward angles

itty_bitty_pieces
22-09-2011, 13:38
Can the Iron Guts (centre unit) charge the Skeleton Warriors in the flank and the Ghouls in the front, both at the same time?

If so, how do you 'level out' the units?

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o206/ginger_buffalo_soldier/IMAG0407.jpg

We played that the Iron Guts could not charge both, so they charged the Skeleton Warriors

I can't seem to find the right section on it in the rulebook...

Thoughts?

Mercules
22-09-2011, 13:41
If those units were not already engaged then You could charge both, bring your unit into contact with both of them as much as possible and then they would close the door. Because they are engaged I would say, no as you can't move your other units to help the enemy units "close the door".

Mr_Rose
22-09-2011, 14:00
From the attached picture, no. But not because of any untoward shuffling shenanigans, but simply because they can't move forward without hitting the bulls in front of them so the first thing they will have to do is wheel and the unit appears to be positioned such that wheeling there will being it into contact with the skaven only.

Remember that you can only declare a multiple charge if there is no way to avoid hitting multiple units and that if you didn't declare a charge against the unit you shouldn't ever hit it.
Bearing which in mind, I'd say declare against the skaven only, wheel the ironguts into contact and then, if the corner ogre is too close to the ghouls, nudge the gnoblar/ghoul combat backwards to clear the 1" rule.

Mercules
22-09-2011, 14:15
What 1" rule? You are charging. :) As long as there is an obvious gap you should be fine.

Mr_Rose
22-09-2011, 14:22
The same one on p.13 that says to do exactly that if units approach within 1" of a unit they didn't charge. Have you read it?

Mercules
22-09-2011, 14:26
I think they violated the 1" rule long before the charge, look at the picture.

Mr_Rose
22-09-2011, 14:29
I think they violated the 1" rule long before the charge, look at the picture.
Not really. Yeah the Ironguts are too close to the Bulls, but that could probably be resolved by actually aligning the bulls with the front of the skaven properly. As for the other units, you don't count the movement tray when measuring anything according to p.6 so the other units don't appear to actually be within 1" at all.

Mercules
22-09-2011, 14:55
Not really. Yeah the Ironguts are too close to the Bulls, but that could probably be resolved by actually aligning the bulls with the front of the skaven properly. As for the other units, you don't count the movement tray when measuring anything according to p.6 so the other units don't appear to actually be within 1" at all.

But you are still unlikely to be able to fit an ogre in the space between the two opposing units then and so maximizing would mean the Ogre is flush with... Well, the left side of the ogre flush with the "right" side of the model it is facing which might bring it within 1" but you can't push a unit to make way to maximize, you maximize and then need to have space. Typically we wait until after the combat is done before worrying about it as that ogre unit might not be there after the combat.

itty_bitty_pieces
22-09-2011, 15:46
Thanks for the input guys!

The other player and I are less than precise to be honest, so the battlelines aren't as tidy as they should be :)

I'm happy we played it right then... even if it did mean my Iron Guts got mauled by the Blood Knights!

Lord Inquisitor
22-09-2011, 15:54
if the corner ogre is too close to the ghouls, nudge the gnoblar/ghoul combat backwards to clear the 1" rule.

1" rule doesn't apply when charging, even units you're not charging. p13

Mercules
22-09-2011, 17:24
1" rule doesn't apply when charging, even units you're not charging. p13

I believe he was talking about "after" when you make sure everything is neat.