PDA

View Full Version : Snotling's as squigs/unit fillers.

Mallo
22-09-2011, 21:43
I am Just after some folks opinions on this. Im working on building up both my night goblin army as well as a mounted goblin army, but I am very desperate to get out and start playing some games. I was intending to base coat the last parts of all my night goblins and that would include my collection of thew old cave squigs, as well as a few new ones.

Trouble is I was hoping to make a huge unit of them, but only have 10 or so great cave squigs (including a couple of the old gobbla)

I do not have the cash to buy another 20 or more squigs, as there is plenty more parts to my army that require more attention (Missing another couple of boxes of N.gob to finish of the hordes, two or more goblin wolf riders boxes, need new pump wagons etc etc..!)

So routing through my old models I found my 10 or 11 snotling stands from my army of old. The current snotling rules seem too expensive for fielding them ever again, especially as I wish to start playing some low point games, I thought about using some of them as a squig proxy so I could bulk the unit up.

The unit would be something like this:

10 great squigs
new skarsnik and gobbla model to proxy 4 squigs and two handlers
1 old skarsnik to proxy one handler
2 newer handlers
2 old handlers but on smaller bases to proxy 4 handlers
a handful of snotling swarms on 40mm bases to proxy 4 squids each.
Any other handlers would be made from left over goblins from 4th Ed/night goblines

I have no problem myself with unit fillers, and mini diorama's in horde armies but Im not sure if using that many snotlings is too much.
It would allow me to field the unit I want almost immediately, but is it too much?

If the rumors are true of a plastic squig set Id be first inline to buy two or more! But as I do not belive they will, at least not untill they have fixed all the other armies Im looking to make this unit almost permanent

minionboy
22-09-2011, 22:46
It might work, but there are a couple problems. It doesn't sound like you have an individual squigs to remove, so what happens when you take 1 wound on the squigs? Also, convincing someone that those snotlings each have 2 S5 attacks each may be a stretch of the imagination a bit too far.

Andy p
22-09-2011, 23:22
What about making some out of green stuff? Squigs are basically just balls with feet and mouths afterall. :p

Mallo
23-09-2011, 17:02
It might work, but there are a couple problems. It doesn't sound like you have an individual squigs to remove, so what happens when you take 1 wound on the squigs? Also, convincing someone that those snotlings each have 2 S5 attacks each may be a stretch of the imagination a bit too far.

The wounds/individual squigs is not a problem. With a little re-basing I have plenty of individual models (I can make up to about 15 rebasing the old ones, could most likely push that even too twenty individuals squigs if I remove and use ones from other models)
The real issue is what you say, stretching the imagination to use snotlings as chompy squigs.

I have hundreds of snotlings kicking around with not much use for them, as well as the already based snotling swarms (which include the small classic squigs/beasts from years back) so was looking to make use of them some how!

As for sculpting my own, well, they may be just balls feet and mouth but with my green stuff skills (or lack off..) they would mostly be just the ball part, with a few stumpy bits!

Daxio
23-09-2011, 21:15
Making your own sguigs is a real possibility, I run two units of 21 and only a smattering of them are GW models. All the rest are marbles covered in green stuff, which was great fun to make and taught me a lot about modelling. Also saved me about 150 squid in the process! Hoppers are my next project.

drear
24-09-2011, 13:54
making squigs will be a good idea.

i make my squigs with milliput. make a teardrop, 2 balls for feet and lotsa teeth!