PDA

View Full Version : IA Servants of Slaughter

terradax
22-09-2011, 22:10
So I was thinking about making a Servants of Slaughter army just for fun...
My other armies are Blood Angels and Chaos Daemons that consists mainly of Khorne Daemons, so I'm tired of painting red...

Therefor, the renegades will have a more neutral colours scheme, with icons of khorne and blood stains. The Khorne Berzerkers... I was thinking about painting them in the pre-heresy colour scheme: white with blue shoulder pads.

Can any of you think of a reason why they still would display theese colours?
I could of course paint red or even black, but I really like the white-blue scheme.

And do you have any suggestions of how to paint the guardsmen?

Thanks.

DuskRaider
22-09-2011, 22:24
Check my Photobucket. That's exactly what I did (army's gone now, though).

Scalebug
22-09-2011, 22:37
It has been in the description of the Eye of Terror and the renegades there, since the original Realms of Chaos books (1988 and 1990), that due to time flowing wierdly there, while some has lived and fought for 10.000 years, other bands of traitor marines arrive in the Eye and join the forces there, with it frorm their point of view only has been weeks since they left Terra after the final battle during the Heresy.

And while a lot of World Eaters, and other legionairies for that matter, would have changed their colours (and started adding spikes, etc) already during the Heresy itself, a lot would probably not have done so until afterwards, during their exile in the Eye.

Your chaos marines could be such a group, due to warp travel fresh from the Heresy.

Alternatively, have a chapter of your own design that has fallen to worshiping Khorne and forsaking the Imperium, at any point between the Heresy and "now".

Mannimarco
22-09-2011, 22:49
So I was thinking about making a Servants of Slaughter army just for fun...
My other armies are Blood Angels and Chaos Daemons that consists mainly of Khorne Daemons, so I'm tired of painting red...

Therefor, the renegades will have a more neutral colours scheme, with icons of khorne and blood stains. The Khorne Berzerkers... I was thinking about painting them in the pre-heresy colour scheme: white with blue shoulder pads.

Can any of you think of a reason why they still would display theese colours?
I could of course paint red or even black, but I really like the white-blue scheme.

And do you have any suggestions of how to paint the guardsmen?

Thanks.

All of the WE sub factions on Vraks wore predominately red although theres nothing to stop you from using the pre Heresy colours if you want.

For the renegade colour scheme:

Not all of them were PDF, there were also a good number of frateris militia and workers there as well so feel free to use any colour scheme you want for those.

We do have a couple of pics of the renegades in their PDF uniforms which just seem to be the standard desert yellow fatigues although by the time they started to worship Khorne (a few years into the war) these uniforms are going to be tattered and muddy. Id still try to stick close to the desert yellow and just make it look worn.

The enforcer is named Hakon and is said to be a Khorne worshiper.

Bonzai
22-09-2011, 23:02
All of the WE sub factions on Vraks wore predominately red although theres nothing to stop you from using the pre Heresy colours if you want.

For the renegade colour scheme:

Not all of them were PDF, there were also a good number of frateris militia and workers there as well so feel free to use any colour scheme you want for those.

We do have a couple of pics of the renegades in their PDF uniforms which just seem to be the standard desert yellow fatigues although by the time they started to worship Khorne (a few years into the war) these uniforms are going to be tattered and muddy. Id still try to stick close to the desert yellow and just make it look worn.

The enforcer is named Hakon and is said to be a Khorne worshiper.

Btw Mannimarco...

Since your the resident FW Chaos expert, have you had experience with Spined Chaos Beasts? I was toying with getting a few for my Word Bearers in Apoc. At first glance they seem ok. Certainly a lot better than the Giant Chaos Spawn. I figured it could be fun to throw in a few more MC's into the mix. Plus, it being Demonic, it should fit nicely into the theme.

terradax
22-09-2011, 23:16
Another approach is to simply go all out and paint the renegades as Blood pact with World Eaters allies... :/

Mannimarco
22-09-2011, 23:20
Gorefeaster (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/GIANT-SPINED-CHAOS-BEAST.html)

I must admit to having no experience with using him with either his basic rules or his special character "Gorefeaster" rules.

As Gorefeaster he is a heavy support choice in a daemon army although since you are using him in apocalypse codex crossovers are ok.

For 65 points more than a naked Khornate prince you are getting:

fleet
-2 weapon skill
-5 ballistic skill (no ranged weapons anyway so this is meaningless)
+3 strength
+1 toughness
-1 initiative
-1 attack
-5 leadership (but you are fearless)
an armour save

The extra strength and fleet is nice, treat him like a blood slaughterer and you wont go far wrong.

Bonzai
23-09-2011, 00:06
Gorefeaster (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/GIANT-SPINED-CHAOS-BEAST.html)

I must admit to having no experience with using him with either his basic rules or his special character "Gorefeaster" rules.

As Gorefeaster he is a heavy support choice in a daemon army although since you are using him in apocalypse codex crossovers are ok.

For 65 points more than a naked Khornate prince you are getting:

fleet
-2 weapon skill
-5 ballistic skill (no ranged weapons anyway so this is meaningless)
+3 strength
+1 toughness
-1 initiative
-1 attack
-5 leadership (but you are fearless)
an armour save

The extra strength and fleet is nice, treat him like a blood slaughterer and you wont go far wrong.

Thanks. I was planning on the generic ones from IA. They are 20 points cheaper, -1 St, -1 A, and not fleet, though they can also take any Mark, and are a CSM hvy slot.

Wyrmwood
23-09-2011, 01:14
I would, and did, go with the pre-Heresy scheme; though heavily rusted, dirty and gore splattered. It works really well. :)

terradax
23-09-2011, 06:39
Can a SoS army take a squadron of Leman Russ tanks, or just a single tank as a Heavy support choice?

Commotionpotion
23-09-2011, 07:46
They're limited to a single tank per slot, not squadrons. I think it might be meant to nudge you into using Malcador type tanks in a separate detachment, since these formed the bulk of the later renegade armour strength on Vraks (and FW just happens to sell them ;)).

As to the WE pre-Heresy colours - in their original background in Slaves to Darkness, a lot of World Eaters (especially the veterans of the Company of the Chosen) kept one or more pieces of their armour in their original colours as a conscious insult to the loyalists.

Warsmith Tharak
23-09-2011, 14:39
I own and have played with the chaos spine beast severall times, I must say they are not very good... I sometimes play mine with about 10 of his little spawn friends and they do not pull theyr own weight.
His save and number of attacks are rater dissepointing.

Keep in mind I use him with chaos space marines, so you might get other results form using him with the servants of slaughters.

But as a model, he is great and I am using him on a regular basis.

Mannimarco
23-09-2011, 16:00
Keep in mind I use him with chaos space marines, so you might get other results form using him with the servants of slaughters.

Not a legal choice in the SoS list IIRC.