PDA

View Full Version : Finecast?

jasdc1
22-09-2011, 23:32
I scored two sets of the old metal Templar Sword Brethren for less than the price of one. We all know that finecast cost more for less, but for me what's available as finecast I would rather stick to metal. Seems to me that even in finecast the poses available really don't lend themselves to conversion so make little difference if they were made of metal. Anybody really doing major conversions from finecast or is it just simple weapon swaps.

Irondog
23-09-2011, 00:58
Personally, I'm not impressed with finecast. I'm working on some as part of a commission gig at the moment and I don't see any evidence of GW's claims of "vast improvement in detail" or "ease of assembly." Granted they are pretty easy to glue together, but the amount of time you would spend pinning a metal model is now spent cleaning flash and greenstuffing air pockets on finecast.

Also, maybe I'm just old school here, but I much prefer the weight of a metal model. I recently compared a finecast Ghazghkull to my classic metal one... that finecast one feels wimpy as hell. No substance whatsoever to that thing. My metal one... well, you could load that thing in a sock and kill somebody with it :D

herbtarkel
23-09-2011, 01:03
I think there are tons of threads about Finecast, and generally, no one likes it.

See http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298959&page=160

That is all.

Gir
23-09-2011, 01:35
I think there are tons of threads about Finecast, and generally, no one likes it.

Except all the people who do.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305436

Threeshades
23-09-2011, 01:46
I think it's alright. The price hike wasnt necessary, but the lighter, easier to assemble models get my approval.

herbtarkel
23-09-2011, 01:55

Barely one in three. That's lots. Except it's not.

Gir
23-09-2011, 02:00
Barely one in three. That's lots. Except it's not.

Then barely one in 3 hate it, which is a far cry from everyone.

teheuax
23-09-2011, 02:00
The people who dont like it are one vote ahead of the people that do. Thats a ton. Except it's not either

UberBeast
23-09-2011, 02:12
I don't really see how anyone could say they like to pay more to get a cheaper product which produces a poorer quality casting. I don't like that I get sent commission work in a sealed GW box and then need to spend more time "fixing" the product than I factored into my price. I also don't like that there have been times when I have to completely replace the product and GW is now getting snotty and asking for the defective product to be shipped back to them because they are trying to put me off having a crap product replaced.

I will say they weigh less which makes them cost a bit less to ship, but it's a moot point when you consider I've seen bits break while simply bubble wrapping a figure.

I personally will not purchase any finecast for my private collection after the issues I've seen with finecast figures. (Oh, I forgot to mention the time spent trying to fix a warped figure with hot and cold water baths, only to have it lean back over after I had finished painting it.)

herbtarkel
23-09-2011, 02:25
The people who dont like it are one vote ahead of the people that do. Thats a ton. Except it's not either

Still don't like it. Hah! I was the one who voted, to make it one more, and I kid you not! HAH! HAH! HAH! :p

I will never ever not in a million years buy a single crapfailcast miniature. NEVER! EVER! :cool:

teheuax
23-09-2011, 02:43
I don't really see how anyone could say they like to pay more to get a cheaper product which produces a poorer quality casting. I don't like that I get sent commission work in a sealed GW box and then need to spend more time "fixing" the product than I factored into my price. I also don't like that there have been times when I have to completely replace the product and GW is now getting snotty and asking for the defective product to be shipped back to them because they are trying to put me off having a crap product replaced.

I will say they weigh less which makes them cost a bit less to ship, but it's a moot point when you consider I've seen bits break while simply bubble wrapping a figure.

I personally will not purchase any finecast for my private collection after the issues I've seen with finecast figures. (Oh, I forgot to mention the time spent trying to fix a warped figure with hot and cold water baths, only to have it lean back over after I had finished painting it.)

Its all worth it to not have to deal with metal for me. I hated working with that stuff. Except the things that came as a single piece. If GW does that, I wouldnt have a problem going back to metal

UberBeast
23-09-2011, 02:59
Finecast is just extra trouble to work with. It's bad for my business and I don't know why anyone would pay more for these figures to get all that extra hassle. Sure you can drop them and they supposedly bounce, but don't put any accidental pressure on them or they tend to snap in some pretty strange places.

Also, has any else noticed ocassional bubbles inside long spindly pieces making them extra fragile?

herbtarkel
23-09-2011, 04:29
Also, has any else noticed occasional bubbles inside long spindly pieces making them extra fragile?

Nope, because I haven't and won't buy it! If I were you, I would charge a price commensurate with the PITA factor for crapfailcast. Like GW, you should get a premium for working with such an obviously superior product. :D

IcedAnimals
23-09-2011, 05:59

That doesn't show they LIKE finecast. Just that the models they have gotten were well cast.

And having 50% of your customers having poor casts show just how **** poor finecast actually is. You can like the material all you want but when there is a 50% chance your models will be deformed something is wrong with it. The idea behind it is great. And if you get a well cast box the material is much easier to work with. But when GW was getting so many returns they actually had to CANCEL all independant retailer returns there is little room for discussion that GW screwed up with the stuff. I hope that after a little while and some more experience with it GW gets better but right now its a wise choice to avoid the stuff.

Aliarzathanil
23-09-2011, 06:17
I haven't had any serious issues. Yeah, it has modlines, but so does metal. Resin is easier to sand and much of Tue flash can be removed with a fingernail. Air pockets or pretty easy to fix. Aspire, swords and long items are straighter.

As a material for actual gaming, I find that it holds paint better than metal. Metal models used heavily for gaming, even if sealed, tend to need constant touch up work.

herbtarkel
23-09-2011, 06:20
I think the truly amazing thing is that Forgeworld is very successful and their formula for resin is definitely more brittle but easier to fix, too. In all the years I have been ordering FW I haven't had to phone and complain once - not once! Couldn't GW have done a best practices sharing session or some similar rubbish instead of trying to reinvent the wheel? And failing so miserably? Whoever was responsible for the debacle is probably doing a facepalm now - "oh yeah! We had a whole bunch of guys who knew exactly how to make sellable resin models, steps away from our own facility, and we could have just asked them how to do it! Dangit!"

Crapfailcast. It's a real word, that describes the real product.

Tellos
23-09-2011, 06:30
the 2 models i bought in finecast did not met my expectations of a superior product. the succubus i bought had tons of little holes in it, which i filled with some glue. the archeon had 2 heads which where totally useless to use, both had 1 half of their face totally flat, which needed to return at the cost of a new train ticket, which is not cheap nowadays.

never bought any of that stuff anymore, much like anything from GW and it's price increase

Wintermute
23-09-2011, 06:46
Thread closed pending investigation.

Wintermute