PDA

View Full Version : Fun goblins only army

JDV311
23-09-2011, 01:23
Thinking of starting the little guys. I've been playing a number of years and played a lot of different armies. I'm a decent player, I know how to think 2 turns ahead BUT is it really possible to succeed. I want to make it a fun army, maybe play in some local tournaments. What do you think...normal gobbo's or night goblins. It'll be one or the other but not both.

herbtarkel
23-09-2011, 01:26
I have Night Goblins, with Trolls, Giant, and a lobba and Doom Diver. They can be really successful, I have beaten Daemons, Warriors of Chaos, Ogres - Fanatics are awesome!

Plus the level of hilarity is definitely there. Night Goblins have less Ld and are generally worse. I don't have any Common Goblins or Forest Goblins to speak of, I have some optional Chariots which are converted to be Night Goblin crew, and the Warmachines. No Arachnorak spider!

Enjoy.

Harry
23-09-2011, 04:44
I have an all wolf rider army. (+a few chariots) Great fun to play. Never win a thing. Happy days. :D

crartist24
23-09-2011, 04:48
My buddy has an army that hes kicked but with thats mostly blocks of night gobblins with fenatics he uses spider an wolf riders for the flank charge also bolt throwers for sniping. He beat the crap outta my dwarfs we had a blast playing.

Jind_Singh
23-09-2011, 06:41
Hallo! Welcome to the Waaagh - and what better way than to have:

All Gobbos, All Da Time!!!

In a nutshell:

1) All Goblin armies ARE INCREDIBLY FUN to collect! Hands down one of the best model ranges of all times!

- Amazing character models (Pretty much any of them!)
- Amazing unit models (Squigs, Nasty Skulkers, Night Goblins)
- Amazing center piece units (Giants, Trolls, Arachnarok Spider)

2) Super great to paint - as the models are so amazing you can't but help to wait to paint them!

3) Lot's of army lists you can build

- All Night Goblins
- All Forest Goblins
- All Common Goblins
- Fully mounted with chariot madness
- Mix of the above three

4) AMAZING game play! With 8th Ed AND the new Orcs & Goblins book you simply have a lot of great lists you can mash together, one isn't any better than the other (With exception of pure Spider Rider army, will be weakest build of them all). And they have some great successes on the battlefield!

Check out my long running thread:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247319&page=108

(You have to scroll down a bit until you see a heading "All Gobbos, All Da Time")

Were there's a ton of posts with regards to my recent experiences running All Gobbos All Da Time - some good info in there with regards to the lists I've used, general tactics and tips.

Either way you're about to enter a golden age of collecting and gaming! It's something few Warhammer fans out there get to experience to the level that we do - they are that good!

And you'll enjoy the challenge too - as an experienced player the challenge of overcoming our natural handicaps (animosity, low leadership, poor statlines) will really raise your game skills to the next level.

I've faced a lot of armies with the Gobbos in 8th and come away with a really decent win/draw/loss record (I don't keep a record but know that I won WAY more games than I lost or drew!).

In a recent local 1500 point tournament I came second on the day - just 1 point behind the champion! And in bigger events I've consistently placed 1st or second.

In an Ard Boyz setting....I don't know as my armies are not min/maxed for effectiveness, but for the models I enjoy collecting and painting. But there are ways to turn up the heat - but we'll never match Dark Elves/Daemons for pure nasty lists but we'll be able to make them sweat before we eventually succumb to them. With a more normal gaming scene NOT of Ard Boyz type you'll do just fine. In the situations you come across bum holes who will always play nasty lists you can crank it up and bring in some Orcs and show them what for!!

That's it for now - time to do other things....

Just a few more highlights and I'll have finished painting my 1st ever Nasty Skulker!

Enjoy

T10
23-09-2011, 09:51
Thinking of starting the little guys. I've been playing a number of years and played a lot of different armies. I'm a decent player, I know how to think 2 turns ahead BUT is it really possible to succeed. I want to make it a fun army, maybe play in some local tournaments. What do you think...normal gobbo's or night goblins. It'll be one or the other but not both.

Normal Goblins. They are less wacky and random, so they need to be sneaky. Fortunately they are fairly versatile with access to fast and medium-weight cavalry, chariots and warmachines. All in all they make for a better army than Night Goblins do. Also, you'll be wanting to take a Leadership 8 Goblin Warboss as your General anyway.

-T10

sssk
23-09-2011, 10:14
It's definitely possible to succeed. Especially if you're a pretty good (or at least "alright") player to start with.

I consider myself a "distinctly mediocre" player, yet I have a reasonable win ratio with my all gobbo (plus trolls and the occasional giant) army.

They're definitely fun, as long as you're the type of player who can embrace the comedy value when your well laid down plan is ripped apart by your units hurling insults at each other.

Also even in this day and age people seem to see bog standard goblin units and think "easy points". They're actually rather tough little fellas (if you give them nets/light armour+shields at least).

They're good fun to paint too. Admitedly I went a little bit mad from painting robes, but there's so much opportunity for modelling little dioramas in the middle of your units, and the character models are, almost without exception, brilliant (in my opinion).

I'd better get back to work, but yeah, go gobbos, you'll be pleasantly surprised (at least 30% of the time)

EDIT: just noticed the night/common gobbo point. Both have pros and cons, personally I couldn't just take one or the other, once I started building my army I just got a little over excited and stuck (at least) one of everything in there. I'd probably go with night gobbos on the strength of their character models, (and because of the common gobbo models), though I think in game terms, a common gobbo list would almost certainly do better (chariots, fast cav, relatively reliable troops, better leadership warboss... which is almost essential)

JDV311
23-09-2011, 13:45
Thanks everybody for the replies. I just noticed to that chariots can be taken in units...thats awesome! One question though, the entry states that characters have to be on their own? Do they mean that multiple characters on chariots can't form units on their own or characters can't join a unit of chariots?

Jind_Singh
23-09-2011, 16:58
Correct - for some reason our plucky warbosses can't join their ladz with their nice rides - so they can't join the chariot mobs - which is a shame as I would love to see Grom the Paunch lead a unit of Wolf Chariots into combat!

On the other hand I wonder if the Character gets a look out sir (4+) if he's in range of a Wolf chariot unit as they are the same troop type?

popisdead
23-09-2011, 21:06
I have an all wolf rider army. (+a few chariots) Great fun to play. Never win a thing. Happy days. :D

That! is how you play for fun. Pick a theme, have fun with it, roll dice, have some laughs, go home and paint more stuff.

Toshiro
25-09-2011, 07:48
That! is how you play for fun. Pick a theme, have fun with it, roll dice, have some laughs, go home and paint more stuff.

Quoted for truth :)

If you want a balanced all-rounded I'd say go with common goblins, either way you go, you're gonna hav a lot of fun and frustrating moments. Welcome to the green side!

wizbix
25-09-2011, 11:34
I often play all gobbo's and soemtime an all common gobbo army. They often perform better than most of my opponents expect.

Check out http://www.da-warpath.com for other orc and goblin players than like all gobbo lists. You will also get quite a bit of advice if you need it.