PDA

View Full Version : Gnoblars. What have people found?

Tarliyn
23-09-2011, 04:50
So while rebuilding my old ogre army I dug out my 100 or so gnoblars (where/when I got so many I have no idea lol) and was wondering what use people found for these guys with the dawn of the new book. I have thought of a few uses:

1) Steadfast- You could use big blocks to add some steadfast to the army. Problem with this plan is gnoblars speed. With move 4 they will be to slow to add steadfast when it is needed.

2) redirection- again move 4 makes this seem not viable.

3) screening- once again, move 4 lol

See all my first ideas kinda got shot down by me right away. Has anyone found a good use for them. I'd hate for them to go to waste and I am not sure if I should finish up painting the remaining ones (which honestly is most of them, lol)

Sent from my phone, sorry for errors

Kyte
23-09-2011, 14:05
I will at some point try a unit of 60 with trappers in horde formation kept within both LD and boosted spell bubble, so they have regen most of the time.

On paper, they'll be a decent tarpit.

Gooner
23-09-2011, 14:13
I think you will find that units of ten with trappers will be very effective against enemy hordes. But like you said you will need to slow down your advance to be able to use them. They also give you something to deploy first instead of a big unit of ogres. I'm having an issue with the tar pit idea because I'm already finding it hard to keep all my ogres in leadership range and stubborn ld 5 is not very good.

Shimmergloom
23-09-2011, 14:34
I think you just want units of 20 with a banner for blood and glory.

Lukasz_VT
23-09-2011, 14:45
I think you just want units of 20 with a banner for blood and glory.

And watchtower.

Tarliyn
23-09-2011, 17:16
Well reading this through I am glad the battlion doesn't come with gnoblars anymore. It seems that the people who have them can find something to do with them but the people who don't already own them aren't going to be rushing out to buy them up.

I think I am going to try a big steadfast unit just for the fun of it.

I am just not sure if smaller units would bring much to the table.

And as far as blood and glory goes, they can take standards now? Didnt know that and dont have my book infront of me.

popisdead
23-09-2011, 20:21
10 with trappers are good speed bumps, a couple of those would be handy.

I'm not sure how long 20 Gnoblars in a watchtower would last but Steadfast blocks of them would be very handy.

Jind_Singh
23-09-2011, 20:28
I was pondering the same question - all I can see is:

Cheap units with standards for blood & glory - and then keep them out of harms way - and to make people think I'm deploying on a flank I don't care about (What's 35pts? NOTHING! Unless I am mistaken in thinking 10 is minimum unit size, I think it is, even if it's 20 it's still 60pts)

Big unit to add ranks in for a charge were the enemy is dual charged by a really killy unit - so I can break enemy steadfast

Trapper upgrade to make people think twice about charging me

Have the Gnobars advance ahead of the main lines (now that they no longer suffer from animosity), tie down the enemy before I counter charge

Not much else!!!!

Moonstone_Fellblade
23-09-2011, 22:56
I've tested out a unit of 60 so far, managed to keep a unit of bloodknights out the rest of the game pretty much. Even killed a bloodknight through combat by some miracle ;)

Something I've been considering is 2 units of trappers, set up one behind the other, first unit gets charged, forcing dangerous terrain checks, then gets wiped out, enemy hopefully overruns and takes more dangerous terrain check from the next unit.

musical
24-09-2011, 18:20
I've tested out a unit of 60 so far, managed to keep a unit of bloodknights out the rest of the game pretty much. Even killed a bloodknight through combat by some miracle ;)

Something I've been considering is 2 units of trappers, set up one behind the other, first unit gets charged, forcing dangerous terrain checks, then gets wiped out, enemy hopefully overruns and takes more dangerous terrain check from the next unit.

But wound't the second unit need to take a panic test first?

Scammel
24-09-2011, 18:36
Nope, Gnoblars don't cause panic even in other Gnoblars.

sulla
24-09-2011, 21:35
Would the unit need to take a second panic test? How is the trapper dangerous terrain test worded?

Haravikk
25-09-2011, 13:12
I think numbers or trappers are the main answers; they're dead cheap so your Ogres are still doing most of the work, but even if they're a turn or two late, the gnoblars can still change the course of large combats.

One thing to note as well is that with their faster Movement, Ogres can try for the enemy flanks, leaving the enemy's front open for the gnoblars to advance toward and charge.

Lastly; Movement 4 may not seem like much, but consider that Dwarfs can now make it into combat fairly quickly on Movement 3, thanks to the fast charge moves. Unless you're so reckless with the speed of the Ogres that the combats are miles away, then they shouldn't actually be so far behind that they're actually useless. So they could work well if you play to use them; i.e - use your Ogres to set-up an exposed area for your gnoblars to charge into, either in small units with trappers, or big hordes or Steadfast blocks.

So I think there's plenty use for them, you just need to keep them in mind throughout, otherwise they'll end up stuck where their Movement becomes such a big disadvantage they never see any useful combat.

musical
25-09-2011, 16:15
Would the unit need to take a second panic test? How is the trapper dangerous terrain test worded?

P.48 'Every model in an enemy unit that successfully charges the Gnoblars front muts take a Dangerous Terrian test as soon as the charge is completed...'

dwarfhold13
25-09-2011, 16:37
i have a friend who simply brings two small units of them for cheap drops.. they are also good for redirecting.

MrCarbohydrate
25-09-2011, 16:40
I'd use them to taunt old Chaos Dwarf players.

"He he we escaped your clutches and now we have an army and you don't!! he he!!!"

musical
25-09-2011, 16:42

Wow 2 lines of 10 trappers at only 50pt a pop, will kill about 1/3 of enemy if he runs into them both, no panic test, where do I sign?

OldMaster
25-09-2011, 20:08
I remember a guy at the store who thought of the combination of having multiple units of Gnoblars positioned so close to the enemy that the enemy unit has to charge two or even three units simultaneously and take 2-3 dangerous terrain tests for each model.

Tarliyn
25-09-2011, 21:14
So maybe one unit of 50 and 3 units of 10 trappers.

Then you get steadfast and trappers. : ).

Just gotta get things painted.

The trapper upgrade seems a lot better than I had intially given it credit for

Okuto
25-09-2011, 22:42
Are are very annoying speedbumps....thats really all I've noticed in my games against the ogres

Gork or Possibly Mork
26-09-2011, 19:47
Besides BnG, watchtower and dangerous terrain damage they can be vital in controlling the movement phase and deployment to create the right matchups so your hordes can take care of business while slowing the rest of thier army down. Basically they can buy you time for your Ogres to take care of business.

Obviously it's extremely important since we'll most likely be outnumbered most of the time so those cheap gnoblar units come in handy.

I actually think a mix of gnoblar units is great. a huge block of steadfast with trappers, and a few 10 gnob units with trappers and some without.

Also i keep seeing people say you need to slow the advance. You don't and it can still work.

Goldenwolf
27-09-2011, 15:56
Also, if you take a more shooty force, a lot of it will move 6", rather then 12 so they can fire the Leadbelchers or Ironblasters.

Letting 2-4 units of 10 Gnobbies with Trappers roll out in front will limit charge opportunities by the enemy, and will cause casualties against them.

In a recent game, my opponent found that out, and lost over 12 Chaos Warriors to the Gnobbies, while being shot at by the Leadbelchers. Unit of 36 Chaos Warriors was around 15 when combat started.

a18no
27-09-2011, 16:24
I use 2 units of 10 with trappers.

1- They gave me 2 more drop, just to make me control de deployment.
2- They are perfect to protect flank of ogre unit. Any opponent think twice before charging them.

Good luck!

shaun03
27-09-2011, 22:16
if your running lore of death aspect of the dreadknight is funny supries, i was playing in a game and my opt by pass them and let me move them right next to bunker unit with his mage in, so just for fun i casted with the terror upgrade, and painc his unit, causeing them to flee.
It was long shot and kinda of suprise for both of us when it work.
Not a soild battle plan but hey there sm all and weak enough to be left unchecked, untill a terror bomb goes off.

popisdead
27-09-2011, 22:20
1) Steadfast- You could use big blocks to add some steadfast to the army. Problem with this plan is gnoblars speed. With move 4 they will be to slow to add steadfast when it is needed.

2) redirection- again move 4 makes this seem not viable.

3) screening- once again, move 4 lol

All of the above are valid, and you sorted them in best uses as well :)

10_minute_pie
27-09-2011, 23:39
Using Gnoblars is really quite simple:

Phase 1: Field Gnoblars

Phase 2: ?

Phase 3: Profit

wbravenboer
28-09-2011, 11:47
and if you cast the +1 Toughness spell on them, they really get annoying! ;)