PDA

View Full Version : Returning to WHFB: lots of questions (8th ed, chaos, WYSIWYG)

blood_beast
23-09-2011, 19:53
So after several years away from the hobby, I have once again been bitten by the Fantasy bug. I have an unshakeable urge to spend my time with my hands half-clued to plastic monsters, go cross-eyed in the middle of the night staying up late painting and throwing dice on a table and yelling when they don't do what I want.

I've had a read through the 8th ed rules, but I'd like to get regular players opinions on how things have changed. I have played fantasy since 4th ed, and clocked up quite a few games and several tournaments during 6th. I completely missed 7th, so I am a little behind the direction the game has headed in. From what I've read on here and on other forums, it seems that infantry is in, magic is somewhat insane and people are still whinging that every army except theirs is broken...doesnt seem like much has changed :D

Also, I will be rebuilding my mono-Khorne chaos army with all new models, and I'm really quite excited about all the lovely new plastic kits. The new chaos models look amazing and the army seems like it will play rather well. If any regular chaos players have some advice on army builds, tactics etc I'd love to hear it.

On the subject of my army, I have some questions on how strictly tournaments are enforcing WYSIWYG restrictions. I am planning to convert a unit of dwarf warriors into chaos dwarves with great weapons and run them as a chaos warrior unit - would anyone really have a problem with this as long as they are based correctly? This unit in particular will be a labour of love due to the hours of greenstuffing I imagine will be necessary. Im also planning on using gors as marauders, as I miss the good old days of 4th ed when all the chaos critters got along and played nice on the same team...I've seen other posts about this, so I assume this won't be a problem.

I'll be posting a plog in the painting forum once I get around to buying some miniatures, but I have a few restrictions that I'm going to impose on myself:
- all models must be plastic. no metal/finecast
- all models must be current editions (this is to stop me losing motivation painting the same old warrior models that Ive had sitting in the case for years).

If anyone has any thoughts, criticisms or advice on getting back into the hobby, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

- BB

MOMUS
23-09-2011, 20:01
Erg. Dont ask how things have changed, you will only get a load of moan/rant/spam. Why do you need to know how things have changed?

One of the most important rules in 8th is steadfast. You seem to have a good general idea of things, big blocks are in, always take a BSB, caster lords over fighty ones and some magic can really influence your games.

If you are after tactics look in the warhammer tactics subforum, mono khorne could be good but WoC do have some great magic.

Not sure on the tourney WYSIWYG, i dont see it being much of a problem in most games.

blood_beast
23-09-2011, 20:03
Thanks dude. I wasn't asking to cause trouble, just trying to get my head around how different the game is now.

mrtn
24-09-2011, 22:28
One change is that infantry really is a viable choice now, and that big units are good. This comes from two changes, Steadfast as mentioned (lazy explanation: if you have more ranks you are stubborn. Not 100% true, but close enough to get your head around it).
The other change is that you now remove the casualties from the back and that you fight in initiative order. This means that the old tactic of "I charge you, strike first, wipe out your front rank and win" doesn't work any more.

Going mono-khorne means that you are very good in a fight, but not having a sorcerer might bite you. My advice would be to try a few games, both with and without sorcerous help.

OldMaster
25-09-2011, 00:09
Nice to have you back =)

Infantry rocks nowadays, but you can't really pass on those pretty Knight models, can you? I wouldn't either. Just remember a unit of five doesn't cancel ranks anymore.

Another thing to factor is that your Warriors have THE best statline of pretty much all infantry in Warhammer now and that can be used to your advantage very easily.
This includes things like getting halberds instead of great weapons, because of no more striking first on the charge.

Mono-Khornate magical defense is also nonexistant anymore.

herbtarkel
25-09-2011, 00:18
Erg. Dont ask how things have changed, you will only get a load of moan/rant/spam. Why do you need to know how things have changed?

One of the most important rules in 8th is steadfast. You seem to have a good general idea of things, big blocks are in, always take a BSB, caster lords over fighty ones and some magic can really influence your games.

If you are after tactics look in the warhammer tactics subforum, mono khorne could be good but WoC do have some great magic.

Not sure on the tourney WYSIWYG, i dont see it being much of a problem in most games.

Actually, I think the game has somewhat come full circle. I started in 5th, right at the beginning of 5th, and I think 8th is the closest to that ruleset. 6th and 7th seemed to steps in the wrong direction, to me, although I think 7th was the tightest rules and played well in a tourney environment. Despite the Daemons, 7th was tight.

8th is back to wackiness and zaniness, and the % system for army selection feels old and comfortable to me. I haven't had as much pure fun as with 8th. But I will say the rules are less tourney tight, in my opinion, but lend themselves to beer and pretzels fun, as well as fun like Storm of Magic. Good on GW for heading backwards to make it fresh again, I really like it.