PDA

View Full Version : 2500 High Elves - Lions/Magic

Fenrisulfr
24-09-2011, 02:55
Hey guys, I played a couple test games with the last list that y'all very kindly tweaked, and now I have updated it based on my experience.

Please share your thoughts!

Lords
Archmage
- Death Magic
- Ring of Corin
Archmage
- Shadow Magic
- Level 4
- Book of Hoeth
Heroes
Noble BSB
- Great Weapon
- Armor of Caledor
- BSB
- Guardian Phoenix
Core
25 Spearmen
- FC
28 Lothern Sea Guard
- FC

Special
26 White Lions
5 Swordmasters
5 Swordmasters
25 Phoenix Guard
- FC
- Banner of Sorcery
Rare
2 Great Eagles

2496 points

Death magic level 3 mage goes with white lions, charging across the field to kill characters and bring the pain. Level 4 Shadow mage goes with phoenix guard, as does BSB, to do his shadow thing.

TheDrugLordX
24-09-2011, 13:43
Please share your thoughts!
Sure will, my comments in green.

Lords
Archmage
- Death Magic
- Ring of Corin
Archmage
- Shadow Magic
- Level 4
- Book of Hoeth
That's alot of points on magic, but if you like it then go for it. Personally, I've found death underwhelming. I'd rather go with life and give him something more defensive, especially if you plan to run him upfront with the white lions. Like Folariaths Robe and silver wand. With the ability to heal himself easily, combined with ethereal, ganing a 5+(4+) regeneration save, increaseing toughness to 5(7) and regaining wounds on the unit they'll be almost instoppable. Although, this means you have to drop stuff on your other mage.
Heroes
Noble BSB
- Great Weapon
- Armor of Caledor
- BSB
- Guardian Phoenix
Core
25 Spearmen
- FC
28 Lothern Sea Guard
- FC

Special
26 White Lions
No Command? A unit this big also wants a nice banner (even if it's just +1M banner or reroll LD once banner)
5 Swordmasters
5 Swordmasters
This is how they should be run, but many disaggre. Maybe even increase to 7 each just for that little extra. Again, with lore of life present, they can be real powerhouses and regain lossess even though they're so small.
25 Phoenix Guard
- FC
- Banner of Sorcery
Rare
2 Great Eagles

2496 points

Death magic level 3 mage goes with white lions, charging across the field to kill characters and bring the pain. Level 4 Shadow mage goes with phoenix guard, as does BSB, to do his shadow thing.
The only thing I actually dislike about this list is the 2 mages combined with book of hoeth. With the book, you essentially want to shut down enemy dispell attempts by tossing at least 4 dice at his spell, and with 4 dice per spell, you will run out of dice to use spells with the other wizard. However, shadow + book of hoeth is really nice with elves in general, so it's up to you.

Just my cents.

Fenrisulfr
24-09-2011, 19:53
I'm mainly thinking of running the level 3 with death magic to snipe enemy characters, particularly wizards, but I have also considered taking life instead for the reasons you mentioned. It is definitely something I want to play test for a few games to see which is more valuable.

I wouldn't mind adding a command group to the lions at all, or adding a few more swordmasters, but I'm having trouble finding the points...

grhino
30-09-2011, 07:39
Make one unit smaller to make room for fc on the other...

teclis1er
29-10-2011, 13:32
This is a great list but I would take teclis over 2 archmages

Aljoman
31-10-2011, 09:15
Have you thought about a level 2 who picks his spells for death instead of the level 3? He gets the snipe spells automatically then and saves about points.

Also, You need to put a magic banner on your core as they are 2 points under the 25% mark by my calculations.

Eggs in one basket with the Archmage and BSB in one unit, have had my Phoenix Guard and L4 unit removed Gateway'd after dispelling it 2 turns in a row.

I was a fan of min units of Swordmasters in 7th, now I feel they are just free points. If you made the mage change and fixed the core you could make one unit of 14 Swordmasters from your 2 of 5 and extra points i think. Also command on the Lions is a good move if you can find points.

Guardian of the Shrine
31-10-2011, 23:18
I would drop the death archmage, does not have enough protection or damage output to survive being in combat or in close proximity to enemy units.
With the free 250pts I would add 2 extra Swordmasters to each unit, give the White Lions a full command, give either the Spearmen of Lothern Sea Guard the gleaming pendant to get you over the minimum requirements for core ( currently two points under). With the remaining points you can take a level 2 Mage with the ring of corin.
I would suggest taking the lore of metal on this mage as you have no units for taking down heavy cavalry or heavily armoured infantry apart from the white lions and they should not be used to chase down small units of knights etc. The two buffs in the law will help your units survive moving over the battlefield, as apart from the two eagles there is noting else to deal with missile troops and warmachines, and improve the damage each unit will cause in combat. Or Fire to deal with skirmishers or scouts.