PDA

View Full Version : 8th ed army books, and balance.

Barry "the blade"
24-09-2011, 08:12
So I rarely get to play(my gaming group burnt out mid way through 7th), but am still a fan of the game. I continue to collect, model, and paint, and read all the books.

So three army books into 8th ed now I have to say it looks to me like GW is doing very good job with balancing the new books internally and externally.

Looking for the opinions of some people who actually get to play more than I do to confirm, or dispute this though. I have a decent amount of ogres already, and wouldn't need to invest to much to get back to gaming.

So. To those of you who have played several games with the 8th ed army books(against other 8th ed books preferably) do you think they are well balanced? Is three books enough to hope that this will continue through 8th?

tmarichards
24-09-2011, 08:26
I'd certainly agree that the books are pretty balanced so far. Not seen enough of ogres yet though.

dragonet111
24-09-2011, 08:27
I agree. At present GW did a great job.

We will have to wait for the big guns of Warhammer to be released to see if this trend continue. Until Chaos, High Elves, Empire are redone we won't really know if balance is one of 8ed best point.

Barry "the blade"
24-09-2011, 08:51
I would have thought it was dark elves, high elves, demons, and WoC that would be the big ones. Like I said though, I don't get to play more than a few times a year at present.

dragonet111
24-09-2011, 10:09
I would have thought it was dark elves, high elves, demons, and WoC that would be the big ones. Like I said though, I don't get to play more than a few times a year at present.

Well I just throw a few names of some of the traditional power houses, my point was we will have to wait for them to see if GW manage to achieve balance :)

Doommasters
24-09-2011, 11:54
Well I just throw a few names of some of the traditional power houses, my point was we will have to wait for them to see if GW manage to achieve balance :)

I personaly think Ogres are going to do very well on a competitive level. They have all the tools required to beat the top tiers and apart from Hellheart nothing seems to crazy.

As far as the top tier goes, there really is only a few things that need to get toned down from each army to bring them into line.

The acid test as you say will be if this happens or not with the big armies. In saying that GW would probably do worse financially if they were to say make WoC under powered, therefore I think we will see them stay around the same with maybe a few cheesy things cut back e.g puppet.

The bearded one
24-09-2011, 12:14
I've fought the new Orcs&Goblins and the new Ogres with my lizardmen and they seem nicely competitive, yet balanced and not over the top. I haven't had the privilege of a regular game against tomb kings, but I did see a couple of storm of magic games that had 3-4 players where they did alright.

DaemonReign
24-09-2011, 15:42
In saying that GW would probably do worse financially if they were to say make WoC under powered, therefore I think we will see them stay around the same with maybe a few cheesy things cut back e.g puppet.

Oh I don't think that's where GW makes money at all, if we're gonna be this cynical like. I think the smartest thing to do is probably to juggle Army Books up and down in power level.

Like if they are going to continue supporting Woof Elves the only thing that makes sense from this perspective is to really go 'all in' in terms of both new fluff, new models, and new rules. Create a surge..

And why are Ogres all of sudden talked about as competative? Well Jervis said so himself in the WD: "..also, we've decreased the cost of Ogres so that you can take more of them.." - hm yeah ok, take more of them ey? In other words: Doesn't sound exactly like there was much cost-effectiveness math-hammering going on there.

Or Mournfang Cav.. Even if taking into account that it depends more on getting the Charge when you look at the share amount of damage it puts out (low I and WS all the same) wouldn't they strike you as pretty 'price-worthy'.

Just saying that I wouldn't be surpriced at all if for example Bloodletters get S4 WS 4 while costing pretty much the same in the next Daemon Book, just as the Hydra-entry in the SoM book could be seen as presidence for Dark Elves being 'nerfed' too.

I mean: All the (******) who actually bought these armies in 7th because they were "top tier" deserves nothing less. :) And GW will make more money as those same people are gonna flock to some 'new' powerhouse.

But of course, having said all the above I nothing but agree with the general sentiment that of course the best thing would be for all coming AB's to be on a fairly equal level. That would mean 'nerfing' details about these supposed "top tier" armies - like reducing the effect of the Despair Icon for Daemons and upping the cost of the DE Hydra by 25-50pts.

I won't personally cry a river if GW goes too far. The satisfaction of knowing all these "competative wannabes" getting it shuved to them will far outweigh any feeling of unfluffyness of having to play, for example, Daemons that no longer feel like Daemons.

Sorry for the long post.. Just idling here.. I shouldn't even make post on this forum 'cause I just feel like a troll here for some reason..

herbtarkel
24-09-2011, 16:02
Like if they are going to continue supporting Woof Elves

But Woof Elves are the DOGS of Warhammer!

Oh! I slay me. Couldn't resist.

Okuto
24-09-2011, 16:58
The newer books are very well balanced....nothing too crazy and I'm loving how they are limiting lvl 4s to their "home lore" which gets them away from those crazy loonie spells in the main rule book.

It's just those armies who still have their 7th roots which are annoying(I won't say names)

Though I admit I'm very confused why hungry hungry hippos get a army book before woodies or Brets.

And I think this is the first time orcs and gobbos have showed up without Empire close behind(not that I mind much)

herbtarkel
24-09-2011, 17:30
And I think this is the first time orcs and gobbos have showed up without Empire close behind(not that I mind much)

That was weird. Dwarfs got skipped too. And you are right about the Wood Elves, it was strange - but Ogres did upset the "order of things" in 6th, too.

As an O&G player (well, NG player really) and although I like the new book, my one complaint was the 8 magic items - not even close to being enough, or interesting. On the other hand, I get a ton of little bosses again. Yay! Sort of.

Okuto
25-09-2011, 00:24
Indeed, usually when greenskins show up, stunties and humies show up hot on their tails or vise-verse

Aye, I hate the whole small magic lists...I'd be fine if the few magic items we would get were actually 'ead gud. Only the shrunken head is of any use in the book

Crovax20
26-09-2011, 09:24
Indeed, usually when greenskins show up, stunties and humies show up hot on their tails or vise-verse

Aye, I hate the whole small magic lists...I'd be fine if the few magic items we would get were actually 'ead gud. Only the shrunken head is of any use in the book

Basha's axe of stunty smashing is good if you know you play against dwarves. And it sounds so fluffy :D. Night goblin warboss at strength 6 iniative 5 with 6 attacks that reroll while causing fear? YES PLEASE!

Had great fun using that against a dwarf list ^^.

But yeh I don't really see much reason to take many of the magic items, but then again its usually the magic items that make characters broken.

popisdead
27-09-2011, 22:46
I feel a lot of this has to do with 8th ed leveling out a lot of the imbalance. In general 8th ed gives you a chance with almost any book if you are good general.