PDA

View Full Version : SW company markings and terminator shoulder pads...

MJRyder
24-09-2011, 09:50
I've been collecting 40k for well over 10 years now, and while I had some terminators in my very early (noob) days, I never painted them properly and ended up ebaying them off a couple of years back.

To make up for this lack of one of 40k's most iconic units, I recently decided I would collect a Space Wolf 'Logan Wing' army to make up for all those years in the dark. I don't get much time to paint these days, so it's taken me a while to get a couple of models ready for transfer application and I stumbled across an almighty problem in my plans on building a force of terminator-goodness -- shoulder transfers.

I must say it never occurred to me that the SW basic transfer sprue is distinctly lacking in white transfer to go on black shoulder pads, and is also notably lacking in 1st company transfers. Thankfully FW sell a SW transfer sheet, so I ordered one of these (at great expense!), and then encountered further stumbling blocks: the sheet only comes with x5 termy transfers for each company. At 10 a sheet, I'm certainly not going to buy another one so I plan on using the smaller (and reversed) normal SM shoulder pad transfers instead.

My questions then, fellow warseerites, are as follows:

Why, when every other unit in a SM army has chapter (or in SW case, company) markings on their left side, do terminators have it on the opposite shoulder? Surely it would make more sense to have the crux terminatus on the right shoulder?

This then brings me to the problem of symmetry. Because the shoulder is opposite, this means FW supply company markings that are mirror reflections of the markings for normal power armour wearers (ie the wolf points forwards). Obviously this problem doesn't apply to chapters with symmetrical chapter markings (Ultramarines at al) but for SW this is a problem. I'm thus left with something of a dilemma. A part of me says the image for a company shouldn't be mirrored to point the other way as it should point in the same direction (eg left) regardless of where the image is located. The FW transfers however (aside from being a little larger for termies) are reversed. Which is 'correct' then? The cynic in me says the image reversal thing is a ploy by GW to get me to buy more terminator transfers as I supposedly can't use normal facing transfers. What do you all think? What should I do?

My current thinking is to just use the smaller power armour transfers on the pad, and so ignore the fact they are pointing in the opposite direction to the 'official' FW ones.

Sorry for such a long post -- I've been stewing on this all week at work and needed to get it off my chest! Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

sprugly
24-09-2011, 13:42
ive always reversed the chapter marking on terminators. and ive reversed the transfers to go on opposite sides many times and never had a problem. If your doing the one i'm thinking of (the wolf rampant in white on black. i think they refer to it as the wolf that stalks between the stars.) then fill the area around the tranfer by adding a couple of stars.

sprugly

Kijamon
24-09-2011, 14:12
PM sent about a trade. If any one else has FW sheets and want to trade variations so I can get the Bran Redmaw bloody mouthed wolves ones, PM me!

Leftenant Gashrog
24-09-2011, 17:46
Why, when every other unit in a SM army has chapter (or in SW case, company) markings on their left side, do terminators have it on the opposite shoulder? Surely it would make more sense to have the crux terminatus on the right shoulder?

When GW invented Terminator armour the only power armour that existed was MkVI, which has a studded left pad with the chapter markings going on the right, Terminator armour therefor emulated this. Why GW hasn't felt the need to change the Terminator minis to match up with MkVII is anyones guess: maybe they just think it looks better.. maybe the discrepancy hasn't occurred to them.. or maybe they feel it should stay on the left since the MkV & MkVI studded left pads came to signify the sacrifice and struggle of the loyalist forces during the Siege of Terra - as does the Crux Terminatus (sortof).