PDA

View Full Version : Multiple combat overrun?

lovedinplaster
24-09-2011, 14:20
If I'm engaged in a multiple combat. I.e my slaves vs a chaos giant and a unit of warriors side by side facing forward... I charge the flank of the giant with a warlord with fellblade and outright kill it with I7. Do I get to charge through into the warrior whose flank is now exposed? Or does the warlord slide in and the bonebreaker gets to attack with his low initiative?

I'm kind of confused.. How does this work for combat res? Do I get charge and flank bonus as well?

Mr_Rose
24-09-2011, 14:48
First off, you have one combat there. Even if the warlord did get to overrun, he wouldn't then get to re-engage in the same combat.
More specifically, you don't work out who's won until all initiative steps have finished; you don't stop at I7 just because that guy has no-one left to hit.

Second, you only get to "slide in" if the unit(s) you were engaged with have shrunk but still exist. If the unit just disappears you don't move, or at least that's how I read p.61.

As for combat resolution, p.61 again explains that your warlord would only add the combat res for wounds caused, not for charging or flanking, or anything else in fact. Additionally, having killed all his foes, he's no longer part of the combat and so not subject tot he combat resolution himself, also per p.61.

So in total you'd end up with +6 for the warlord (assuming the giant was on full wounds) +3 ranks for the slaves (if it doesn't still have three ranks left after a couple of rounds it wasn't a proper slave unit in the first place :p ), and the chaos side would have however many wounds the warriors do. Whoever wins out of that, gets the overall victory, though only the slaves would be subject to the break test if the chaos side won (if they break the warlord would probably be in rang of their explosion and also have to take a panic check).

lovedinplaster
24-09-2011, 16:18
Excellent! This answers all of my questions! Thank you very much. The way we worked it out was almost correct.

Warlord is no longer in combat, slaves hold, because the warriors had a standard and won by one. One thing I messed up on.. The warlord broke because of modified leadership and did nothing else that game.. What a shame.

Mr_Rose
24-09-2011, 18:25
Oh! Forgot that the Giant should fall over at I7 and potentially do a fair bit of damage in it's death throes, but that doesn't really impact on how the combat works out. Unless…
It occurs to me that there's a good chance the giant will land on, and squish, the warlord.

Which makes things interesting. Because as far as I can tell there's no rule that explicitly covers what happens to the combat resolution points generated by dead units. But it seems like they ought to work pretty much like the 'isolated unit' scenario, where the wounds they may have already done count but not much else.

Yrrdead
24-09-2011, 18:56
Oh! Forgot that the Giant should fall over at I7 and potentially do a fair bit of damage in it's death throes, but that doesn't really impact on how the combat works out. Unless…
It occurs to me that there's a good chance the giant will land on, and squish, the warlord.

Which makes things interesting. Because as far as I can tell there's no rule that explicitly covers what happens to the combat resolution points generated by dead units. But it seems like they ought to work pretty much like the 'isolated unit' scenario, where the wounds they may have already done count but not much else.

I'm a little shaky when it comes to chance and/or probability. But wouldn't the unit of warriors on the opposite flank have the best chance to be landed on? They occupy the largest contiguous footprint therefore have the best odds of being squished.

Mr_Rose
24-09-2011, 20:27
I said good, not best. Also, landing on the warriors or the skavenslaves is essentially not a problem; sure they lose a few models but we know what happens there as regards combat resolution already.

lovedinplaster
25-09-2011, 23:38
The giant completely missed all units.. Very small chance.. But it happened. I rage quit shortly after all this.. I have the hardest time beating woc.. Even with multi charges

10_minute_pie
28-09-2011, 01:10

I don't think killing the warlord by falling over would change anything, the skaven side still did the 6 wounds to the giant. If it had been the case that there was no giant and the warlord had charged the warriors, done X wounds, then been killed in response, you would still add the X wounds he cause to Combat Resolution.

Also, it seems worth noting that wounds caused by falling Giants only count if they were caused because he failed to Jump Up and Down (or auto inflicted one on himself when he fell). Wounds caused by a dead falling giant aren't added to combat res (see WoC and Ogre army books)