PDA

View Full Version : Straken 'iron hand' OR Yarrick 'badass' ?

Chaos Warlord
24-09-2011, 15:06
allright so they have the same stat line, beside the fact that straken has the same strenght as a power fist (or claw, in yarrick's case) but whitout the side effect that would turn his initiative down to 1.

straken also has one more armour save than yarrick, but yarrick has one more LD than straken.. and that last LD is quite important when dealing with lowly guardsmen..

both have 3 attacks and get one extra from the optional.. ehm.. lets just call them pistols.. so 4 attacks all in all.

straken also has the furious charge and counter-attack special rule, and this includes all units within 12"
but on the other hand Yarrick has some neat gear himself, the iron will special rule that makes him come back with 1 wound, aswell as the forcefield that lowers the strenght of any attacks (can't remember if its only ranged, but i think it was)

so what say you? wich one to choose as my supreme badass closecombat monstrosity of dooooooom and destruction!!!? (or well.. as close as it comes when we're talking about frail little manlings)

Ezuli
24-09-2011, 15:11
Well, Yarrick is quite pricey, and Straken is cheap. His furiouscharge&counterattack buble is cool, and he can give orders too.

SeerOfWar
24-09-2011, 15:13
Which model/fluff do you like more?

Lord-Gen Bale Chambers
24-09-2011, 15:13
Straken. The striking at initiative with furious charge as well as the enhancement furious charge provides to guardsmen nearby make Straken one deadly dude in close combat.

StraightSilver
24-09-2011, 15:51
Quite a lot of it boils down to your list too.

Straken's furious charge bubble is only useful if you obviously have guardsmen nearby to benefit from it.

If you play a back line shooty list then Straken has to stay with them which isn't ideal as he is the sort of unit you want up front.

That means you need to be able to keep up with him, which means losing your heavy weapons fire.

His orders are great, but you can get them without Straken.

Don't get me wrong, I love Straken and my army is built around him, but I have him with infantry squads in Chimeras to push up front.

Once they get into it they are then I4 S4 on the charge which means they can pack quite a punch.

He is also quite nasty against vehicles, so I stick 3 meltas in with him which combined with his orders means he can happily go vehicle hunting.

So personally I would favour Straken, he is a beast but you do need to tailor your list somewhat to accommodate him.

The_Herald_of_Nurgle
24-09-2011, 15:53
allright so they have the same stat line, beside the fact that straken has the same strenght as a power fist (or claw, in yarrick's case) but whitout the side effect that would turn his initiative down to 1.
This right here is usually a game changer, in that being a lowly guardsmen with a 4+/- will usually mean that you are stomped by most everything before even getting your attacks, especially since he is an IC and can be picked out. He does have the advantage of being with a large group of guardsmen so he will have backup, but being fearless with Guardsmen can be asking for trouble if the enemy slams you with lots of attacks (ie orks, tyranids, Khorne Berzerkers etc).

straken also has one more armour save than yarrick, but yarrick has one more LD than straken.. and that last LD is quite important when dealing with lowly guardsmen..
Considering Yarrick makes any unit he is with Fearless, and models around him are Stubborn, the leadership thing generally goes in his favor. Straken's 1 less leadership only effects his command squad, and has the effect of making his orders slightly harder to make for that unit.

both have 3 attacks and get one extra from the optional.. ehm.. lets just call them pistols.. so 4 attacks all in all.
Yarrick only benefits from this effect when he uses his Close Combat Weapon / Bolt Pistol combo. If you use his Fist, you can't gain the extra attack from being armed with a CC weapon (Bale Eye mentions the extra attack from it is already included in his profile, so without it he only has 2 attacks "base"). Straken comes out ahead here, as his "fist" isnt considered as such and he gains the +1 attack for 2 CCW

straken also has the furious charge and counter-attack special rule, and this includes all units within 12"
but on the other hand Yarrick has some neat gear himself, the iron will special rule that makes him come back with 1 wound, aswell as the forcefield that lowers the strenght of any attacks (can't remember if its only ranged, but i think it was)
The Furious Charge and Counter-attack bubble is amazing, but only if you use your army in conjunction with it. Large blob squads make it very realiable to get lots of damage in CC if you can get enough of your men over to the enemy. Iron will is a nice rule for him, but generally means he is then being a nuisance since whatever killed him will usually do it again if Yarrick goes after him since he strikes slower then almost everyone (unless you got an enemy all striking at I1 then I say go for it). Yarricks Force Field in this codex is crap to his earlier one. It forces the enemy to reroll successful wounds in close combat, not reducing strength. Most of the time against a T4 model things are wounding enough that this is almost trivial (unless your in CC with weak opponents with a few number of attacks).

You also forget to mention that Straken gets an extra D6 AP against vehicles, which means he can potentially threaten a Land Raider. Yarrick is just double his strength +D6 which means he would struggle against the siege variant Guard tanks with their rear armor 11.

I would say that Straken is overall better, giving a stronger presence in CC while also boosting his army nicely. Yarrick can be a pain to your enemy if he keeps standing up, but is usually nothing more then that.

Box
24-09-2011, 19:49
Straken, without a doubt.

Chem-Dog
24-09-2011, 20:11
so what say you? wich one to choose as my supreme badass closecombat monstrosity of dooooooom and destruction!!!? (or well.. as close as it comes when we're talking about frail little manlings)

I've had Straken chin a Eldar Wraithlord before now, I think that's something most armies would be rightfully chuffed with.

Of the two Staken has the edge, he's not dropped to I1, he's in a command squad maing him slightly more survivable (especially if accompanied by a Medic) and he can issue all the cool orders.

Yarrick is only the better alternative when suitably bulwarked with a hits absorbing unit and when deployed against Orks.

But with two HQ slots available, why not take both?

Mr Zoat
24-09-2011, 22:12
Yarrick only benefits from this effect when he uses his Close Combat Weapon / Bolt Pistol combo. If you use his Fist, you can't gain the extra attack from being armed with a CC weapon (Bale Eye mentions the extra attack from it is already included in his profile, so without it he only has 2 attacks "base"). Straken comes out ahead here, as his "fist" isnt considered as such and he gains the +1 attack for 2 CCW

Yarrick has a special close combat weapon and as such can't choose not to use it.

CaptainOtter
25-09-2011, 07:32
Stracken, no doubt. Both give good benefits to their unit (furious charge/counter attack vs. fearless and rerolls to hit on charge), but Stracken can boost multiple units. Stracken can also issue orders, which helps. Yarrick does have some cool abilities, but at the end of the day Stracken just deals more damage in combat. Being able to strike in initiative order is a huge help against most opponents, and he can tear apart vehicles incredibly easily. Throw a priest into his unit and he's a monster.

spurker
25-09-2011, 07:46
Stracken, cooler fluff (imo) and more useful in game. But then it is really about your play style and fluff preference!

bildo
25-09-2011, 09:59
i had yarrik kick in angarath. was epic. he fluffed his rolls so i won combat. then he ran off, and yarrik spent the rest of the game running after him, forcing him not to be able to do much.

silentsmoke
25-09-2011, 10:25
Yarrick!!!

The_Herald_of_Nurgle
25-09-2011, 15:22
Yarrick has a special close combat weapon and as such can't choose not to use it.

Yarrick is equipped with:
-Battle Klaw (counts as power fist)
-Close-combat weapon
-Bolt Pistol

By the ruling for CC weapons in the Assault Phase of the BRB (p.42) "Some models are equipped with two single-handed weapons they can use in close combat, with rules given below for the different possible combinations.

You now have a choice of which 2 weapons the model will use in CC. If you go with the Close-combat weapon / Bolt Pistol, then you would follow the rules for Two Normal close combat weapons. If you choose to use the Battle Klaw, then regardless of the other choice you dont get the extra attack for being armed as such as per the combination of a Normal and a special weapon.

Edit: Also I still vote that for all around purposes Straken is the better choice, Yarrick just isnt what he used to be :(

Bunnahabhain
25-09-2011, 16:09
Yarrick is equipped with:
-Battle Klaw (counts as power fist)
-Close-combat weapon
-Bolt Pistol

By the ruling for CC weapons in the Assault Phase of the BRB (p.42) "Some models are equipped with two single-handed weapons they can use in close combat, with rules given below for the different possible combinations.

You now have a choice of which 2 weapons the model will use in CC. If you go with the Close-combat weapon / Bolt Pistol, then you would follow the rules for Two Normal close combat weapons. If you choose to use the Battle Klaw, then regardless of the other choice you dont get the extra attack for being armed as such as per the combination of a Normal and a special weapon.

Edit: Also I still vote that for all around purposes Straken is the better choice, Yarrick just isnt what he used to be :(

Wrong. You may not choose to give up your special close combat attacks for normal ones.

If you have two ( or more....) Special CC attacks, you may choose which to use.

Also, to be pedantic.... The fighting with two single handed weapons section doesn't say if you're using weapons X and Y, Z happens. It says if you are equipped with X and Y, Z happens.

EDIT. Page 35, who can fight section: " all engaged models will fight in this turns assault phase with their full Number of attacks, and any special Close combat attacks they have"
Not obvious to find, but very clear.

AlphariusOmegon20
27-09-2011, 08:06
Yarrick is pants, he's held back from being as good as Straken because of his Initiative of 1.

I play an Armageddon IG army and refuse to use Yarrick anymore because he kept getting punched in the mouth and dying.

ehlijen
27-09-2011, 08:16
Yarrick, despite having eternal warrior, will die almost everytime before he does something useful due to being I1 without an invul save. He'll come back, but then even more likely die again before striking.

And for the less than yarrick you can get straken and either a medic or two bodyguards. Or even medic and bodyguards for only slightly more.

GW doesn't know how to price bubbles :(

agurus1
27-09-2011, 08:18
straken all the way!

1. he can give orders
2. counter attack, furious charge bubble
3. strikes in initiative order, S6 power weapon
4. 3+, 5++ (could get FNP)
5. isn't an IC, can't be picked out of his command squad
6. fearless so will never run

honestly I can't see a reason not to use him

Escaflowne_Z
27-09-2011, 10:20
Yarrick. Stubborn Ld 10 bubble anyone? Also, he and his squad reroll misses on the charge. Epic tabletop moments all around.

Also, his fluff is just better. Space Marines are willing to let him take theater control, he fought Ghazghkull in single combat and survived. Normal orks fear him, bosses respect him. His combat arm is an Ork power klaw he pulled off a dead warboss, and when his eye got put out, he had the Bale Eye put in because the Orks said he could kill with a look and he wanted to oblige them. Booyah?

That aside, both are good at what they do, and suit slightly different playstyles, roles, and themes.

BrotherCaptainS
27-09-2011, 15:54
both, you get 2 hq slots. problem solved.

Buftoon
27-09-2011, 17:14
I once had a game where I put both in the same CC squad. Quite fragile, but by God it hurt when it hit things, especially when accompanied by two 30 man platoons :)

agurus1
27-09-2011, 20:37
oh yeah, I forgot to mention that my Straken and his command squad managed to hold up, and eventually kill my Ork opponents biker nobz with biker boss for 3 turns of close combat (he had a pain boy too!) Straken and the warboss both killed each other in the final combat round, but I think it was well worth the points to keep that killy unit from rampaging through my guardsmen!

*note I do run with a lord commissar w/ fist and carapace as a tag team, but he was hanging back to give ld 10 to my heavy weapon squads.