PDA

View Full Version : White dwarf is supposed to be out today, right?

Blink
24-09-2011, 21:51
Unless my sense of time is off I could have sworn it was supposed to be out the last Saturday before the end of the month, which I'm pretty sure is today. My local Gw apparently doesn't have it yet though. Anyone get their hands on it yet?

Fawful
24-09-2011, 21:53
Apparently it has been released in quite a few stores by now. It's mainly about dread fleet and has a couple of sister of battle blurbs. No information page on what's out next month, though we may see that tomorrow at gamesday UK.

druchii
24-09-2011, 21:54
We were told we'd be getting it a week late on account of dreadfleet.

d

Blink
24-09-2011, 23:48
Really? No back page preview?

herbtarkel
24-09-2011, 23:49
See http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=16900014a

Chem-Dog
24-09-2011, 23:58
Didn't it used to be last thursday of the month?

Blink
25-09-2011, 02:17
Ah, because of dreadfleet, I see... makes sense. They want people buying that and NOT saving for what comes in November.

Souleater
25-09-2011, 03:25
I'm saving for Necron. Dreadfleet isn't a distraction in the slightest :D

Blink
25-09-2011, 03:42
Same. Exact same.

The only thing that could distract me would be a tyranid second wave.

megatrons2nd
25-09-2011, 03:50
Tau or Eldar for me. Maybe Dark Eldar, okay Dark Eldar too.

Fantasy, Marines, different color marines, yet another color of marines, and really over priced board games of dubious quality do not float my boat so to speak.

spurker
25-09-2011, 07:33
Argh! Don't remind me that it is out! Not only can I not afford dreadfleet, but I had to cancel my subscription. Growing up and buying a house.... Priorities change

Souleater
25-09-2011, 11:05
Same. Exact same.

The only thing that could distract me would be a tyranid second wave.

Ditto

10 characters

sprugly
25-09-2011, 11:24
what really ticked me off was that they now are not posting white dwarf to subscribers till friday. So unless your very lucky you wont get your dwarf till the monday 2 days after its in stores! What was the benifit of being a subscriber again??

sprugly

Gorbad Ironclaw
25-09-2011, 14:07
What was the benifit of being a subscriber again??

GW get's your money for each issue regardless of if you wanted what's in the issue or not?:p

bluemage
25-09-2011, 17:25
The benefits of a subscription are for GW not for yourself. There's a reason why all the magazines and newspapers sell subscriptions.

jack da greenskin
25-09-2011, 17:29
The benefits of a subscription are for GW not for yourself. There's a reason why all the magazines and newspapers sell subscriptions.

At least other companies have the common decency to pretend a subscription is good for you by giving you a discount, a free gift, earlier issues, etc.

sprugly
25-09-2011, 17:32
Yes its a selling point for them but while I am happy to get it at a small discount, most magazines offer other incentives. Early receiving of the magazine is normally almost a given.

I was thinking about subscribing to empire magazine. They're offering a discount on cover price and a recently released ps3 or xbox game.

Sprugly

Tamwulf
26-09-2011, 07:55
Does this mean there will be two issues of White Dwarf in October to make up for the lack of an issue in September?

Did GW just pull a fast one on us? Only 11 issues this year?

Darnok
26-09-2011, 08:01
Does this mean there will be two issues of White Dwarf in October to make up for the lack of an issue in September?

Did GW just pull a fast one on us? Only 11 issues this year?

Umm... there is a September issue. You can walk into your store and buy it. The October issue however was moved one week back. For reasons I'm not happy with, at all. But it is as it is...

sprugly
26-09-2011, 09:52
It seems there will be one on the 1st of Oct and one on the last dat of the month.

Sprugly

Spiney Norman
26-09-2011, 10:05
what really ticked me off was that they now are not posting white dwarf to subscribers till friday. So unless your very lucky you wont get your dwarf till the monday 2 days after its in stores! What was the benifit of being a subscriber again??

sprugly

Thats rather an overly optimistic assessment, I didn't get my September issue until the friday after release day, you can't seriously tell me that it took the UK postal service a full 7 days after GW posted it to get it to me. Logically that points me towards them posting the mag no earlier than the tuesday or wednesday after the instore release, unless there was a postal strike I wasn't aware of.

It did make me chuckle that they put the october release back a week in order to preserve secrecy around a product that has been on advanced order for two weeks and playable at Gamesday a week before...

AlphariusOmegon20
26-09-2011, 17:33

sprugly

Hence why I let my subscription expire and didn't renew it. I disagreed with not being able to pick it up at my local GW store, prior to it being made for general release on their shelves.

Edit: I should add that this was a few months ago.

alextroy
26-09-2011, 19:11
To serve as a fantastic accompaniment to the game, expect your copy of White Dwarf 381 after October 1st, 2011 the same day that Dreadfleet is released. In-home subscribers can expect to see their copy by October 10th.

Don't you love how GW is trying to spin the late arrival of White Dwarf into a benefit?

sprugly
26-09-2011, 19:34
@spiney Norman, that is only what I was told by a member of the mail order team. A few months ago when they changed I rang and asked where my issue was and that was their reply.

Lol and yes I would believe the post service is that bad. You wouldn't believe the things our postman has done.

Sprugly

punkfish
26-09-2011, 19:35
I can't believe that for those of us that subscribe, we have to wait over a week to get our copies after the supposed release date.

I've been a GW fan for over 20 years and a subscriber for the last 15 and I really cannot get over the fact that they are treating us so shabbily.

Shame on you GW, shame on you.

Blink
26-09-2011, 23:16
Calm down guys. Honestly, they DO need to make money... if holding off on the magazine for a week will help bolster the sales of Dreadfleet before whatever is on the back page of the WD catches everyone's attention, then so be it. We Warhammer players and hobbyists are good at waiting at this point. Just relax.

Gorbad Ironclaw
27-09-2011, 08:37
Honestly, they DO need to make money...
Of course they do, but that's really their problem. Not mine. I presume they have made a calculated decision and come to the conclusion that moving back WD this time will give them more money, but it will also cause some dissatisfaction from people who feel that for instance a subscription isn't worth it then. Not to mention that it seems a rather puzzling move anyway. But if a company does something to a product I'm interested in that annoys me I don't feel I need to excuse them on the grounds that they need to make money. They either deliver a product I want or they don't. I'm not going to spend money on a product I don't like just because said company needs to make money.

Blink
27-09-2011, 08:59
Then... don't? You don't have to buy Dreadfleet or anything else you don't want. However, you should want this company to be successful so you can continue buying the things you DO want from them, and THAT should detour that childish gimme-gimme-gimme urge.

When you bought a subscription, you knew from the start not every month would have something you want. And before recently it didn't come out until the start of each new month anyway.

The suspense kills me too, but I can understand their decision and can wait the additional week. If you are really dissatisfied over the magazine for this, you can certainly feel free to decline a renewal of your subscription and only buy the ones you want. That seems like a reasonable compromise for your complaint.

ehlijen
27-09-2011, 09:35
Then... don't? You don't have to buy Dreadfleet or anything else you don't want. However, you should want this company to be successful so you can continue buying the things you DO want from them, and THAT should detour that childish gimme-gimme-gimme urge.

Why? Why should the consumer have to suppress his greed when the company gets to revel in it fully? Capitalism is based on the assumption that if everyone acts out of greed, a mutually accetable equilibrium will be reached. As a consumer in this system it would be our duty to let GW know we don't like what they're doing by not buying what we don't want anymore, rather than 'hoping they'll improve'. Both sides are supposed to act on their greed for this to work, or whoever doesn't will get exploited.

Yes, GW need to make money. But if they can't do that while keeping their customers wanting to give them said money, then they failed capitlism.

They should not count on generosity or charity from their consumer base.

sprugly
27-09-2011, 10:52
Im not bothered by what's in white dwarf, I'd buy it anyway. Nor by the putting it back by a bit. I just want it on my door mat the day of release!

Sprugly

punkfish
27-09-2011, 11:51
Im not bothered by what's in white dwarf, I'd buy it anyway. Nor by the putting it back by a bit. I just want it on my door mat the day of release!

Sprugly

Me too. I subscribe to WD because it's part of supporting the part of the hobby that I know and love. Even if they have 40k lite months there's always something that will take my attention, like the painting masterclasses or modelling tutorials.

What really gets me is that as subscribers, GD is trying to spin the lateness of the magazine as a good thing. Why? Dreadfleet was unveiled at GD and on the web already, why not follow the pattern of years past and release WD on GD weekend? That always seemed to generate excitement.

Frankly, it seems that once GD has our money, they think they can do what they like and we'll just accept it and buy into the idea that they've got our best interests at heart.

RobPro
27-09-2011, 12:40
Why? Why should the consumer have to suppress his greed when the company gets to revel in it fully? Capitalism is based on the assumption that if everyone acts out of greed, a mutually accetable equilibrium will be reached. As a consumer in this system it would be our duty to let GW know we don't like what they're doing by not buying what we don't want anymore, rather than 'hoping they'll improve'. Both sides are supposed to act on their greed for this to work, or whoever doesn't will get exploited.

Yes, GW need to make money. But if they can't do that while keeping their customers wanting to give them said money, then they failed capitlism.

Mutual greed is very important. Just think about what would of happened if Unicron hadn't been greedy, we may not have Galvatron or Rodimus Prime today.

Blink
27-09-2011, 12:42
Why? Why should the consumer have to suppress his greed when the company gets to revel in it fully? Capitalism is based on the assumption that if everyone acts out of greed, a mutually accetable equilibrium will be reached.

Irrational consumer greed doesn't equal demand, that's why. There is nothing you're doing by whining and moaning that will change a thing they are doing. Nothing you are whining about will help reach equilibrium.

The greed for things you DO want is what drives that equilibrium, not pining about what you don't in a broader market. No single decision they make can please everyone; but every decision pleases someone. Be happy for your fellow hobby mates who did get something out of it.

As a consumer in this system it would be our duty to let GW know we don't like what they're doing by not buying what we don't want anymore, rather than 'hoping they'll improve'.

I love how you put "hoping they improve" in apostrophes as if that's an argument anyone here was making. Don't invent an argument no one is fighting.

And do you REALLY think whining about what is a successful venture for them will change anything? I hold my degree in economics, so I realize all too well that capitalism is a braindead market system based on the gut based greed of its residents, but that shouldn't mean you have to embrace your willful ignorance of the matter. Think a step further and realize that the better off they're doing as a company, the better they can do on the products YOU want.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil, but you know what doesn't? The rusted and belligerent one that's run its corse. If you REALLY want GW to give you what you want, try something else other than tired whining on internet forums which they are more than certain numb and dead to by now.

They do keep their customers wanting. Nearly every new release has a surge of income and support for them, and they can still keep people like the Necron players wanting after 7 years who will certainly give them money. So no, they haven't failed at capitalism in any reality other than your own, and they will be failing at capitalism when they stop turning a profit.

Oh I'm very certain they don't count on the charity of their consumer base. Nerds are one of the hardest demographics to satisfy, and that is certainly not their fault. Nerds will whine and moan about the smallest changes in their fiction (see Star Wars nerds and their movies, Anime nerds and their translations, Star Trek nerds and their... everything) and Games Workshop doubtlessly knows this. So it's not exactly surprising that they don't try harder for customer satisfaction when their customers are so outrageously hard to please.

Edit: Sorry ehlijen, the comments about whining aren't all directed at solely you, but everyone who has been complaining like it's their job in this topic and others. It's become quite extreme around these parts lately.

Col. Dash
27-09-2011, 12:47
Hey on a slightly off beat note, but still about the WD, I had heard fairly positive rumors that this month's or one very soon would include wording that allowed storm ravens for regular marine chapters. Anyone else heard this or seen it besides the usual speculations?

Blink
27-09-2011, 13:04
I haven't heard that, Col. Dash.

I had a source back in the spring tell me that White Dwarf would become more useful and mentioned Sisters of Battle in White Dwarf (both turned out to be true... which was hilarious because it got kicked out of the rumors section of this site partly for being too implausible), and that the Tyranid Harpy would get amended rules in a coming White Dwarf (hasn't happened yet, but I'm pretty confident it will). It could very well be possible that they are going to do a section about "flying" models in a coming issue.

Ravenous
27-09-2011, 15:23
Hey on a slightly off beat note, but still about the WD, I had heard fairly positive rumors that this month's or one very soon would include wording that allowed storm ravens for regular marine chapters. Anyone else heard this or seen it besides the usual speculations?

Ive been saying that for ages. Its just a matter of time IMO.

Honestly I wouldnt be surprised if that hits before xmas, releasing it to all marines would generate huge sales.

sprugly
27-09-2011, 15:53
I would buy one now if I could use it with my codex marines.

Would love to see the dwarf become more like what it used to be 5 or 10 years ago.

Sprugly

t-tauri
27-09-2011, 15:55
Thread closed. See here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308341).