PDA

View Full Version : Please advice on the Tomb Kings Skeleton Horsemen

Spellscape
25-09-2011, 14:07
Hi all

From TK Batalion I have 8 Tomb Kings Skeleton Horsemen

I know they not stellar but I have them anyway so maybe there is a way to use them in my new army.

I'm new to TK army so please help me with their equipment and tactics in games.

rahtep888
25-09-2011, 14:17
Use a small unit of 5 Horse Archers to break ranks by flanking an enemy unit your skellies or tomb guard are already fighting. They're cheap as chips (70pts won't set you back at all), remove the enemies +3 static bonus and won't be a massive loss if they die. Just as a quick note, don't use the heavy horsemen- they could possibly be some of the worst calvary in the game... Other than this, the TK horses are pretty much useless, but many a time I have vanquished a Skaven player using this ploy. Try it out, see if it works for you. If not, oh well. Many people fail to see these guys (limited) merits anyway...

Tarliyn
25-09-2011, 14:37
Use a small unit of 5 Horse Archers to break ranks by flanking an enemy unit your skellies or tomb guard are already fighting. They're cheap as chips (70pts won't set you back at all), remove the enemies +3 static bonus and won't be a massive loss if they die. Just as a quick note, don't use the heavy horsemen- they could possibly be some of the worst calvary in the game... Other than this, the TK horses are pretty much useless, but many a time I have vanquished a Skaven player using this ploy. Try it out, see if it works for you. If not, oh well. Many people fail to see these guys (limited) merits anyway...

Problem is you need atleast 10 to break ranks, unless I am not remebering either a special TK rule or misremebering the brb.

If I saw some cav coming to get my flank one round of shoot from one unit kills 1 and makes then unit not able to perform its function and even if 10 archers were to make it into combat fully intact even just the 5 attacks going into the cav from the flank guys would probably be enough to kill 1 and make it where ranks didn't break. Breaking ranks with light cav just doesn't work sadly. Cheap cav (like empire knights) and properly priced elite cav (chaos knights, dragon princes) are still useful. Light cav (skeletal horsemen) or expensive heavy (saurus riders) are not.

Not to say the horsemen don't have uses but breaking ranks isn't really one of them.

jtrowell
26-09-2011, 12:55
Use them as warmachine hunters, or to kill a few models in support units (other fast cav, skirmishers, etc ...)

rahtep888
26-09-2011, 14:41
God darn... I'm still playing 7th ed in my mind... Sorry about that error. In that case, it's best not to use them. The TK's have much better shooting and war machine hunting units (normal archers and sepulchral stalkers), so there really is little place for these guys. They could stand in as cheap war machine hunters if you haven't got any stalkers, but the stalkers are so much better, have a lethal ranged attack and can (practically) deep strike. I think that these guys, like several other once-popular TK units (ahem, ushabti...), have no place in the new rules.

Shamutanti
26-09-2011, 15:48
I've not used them personally myself but seen a couple of local TK players use them as pretty effective warmachine hunters (looking at points wise anyway) - Scout before the game begins, move first turn, shoot into the warmachine on 5s+.

It ain't going to rock the world but it means they need to be removed asap by the enemy, they're dirt cheap, and if you can get them 'boosted' into the enemy via magic you're laughing.