PDA

View Full Version : How do Chaos Differ?

fusioncell
25-09-2011, 19:33
This is a very simple question I would imagine but compared to Space Marines how to Chaos Space Marines differ? Do they just look different/are another chapter? If so why do they get their own book?

spurker
25-09-2011, 19:36
you need to read the Horus heresy books to get all the differences as your question is not simple at all!

fusioncell
25-09-2011, 19:45
Oh ok, well table top wise. I will look into those books though, thank you :)

scopedog91
25-09-2011, 19:49
Spikey...angst ridden...E-daddy doesn't love them...magicy...

Fawful
25-09-2011, 19:49
The chaos space marines have abandoned the light of the emperor and embraced new masters, which promised them unfathomable powers. The gods of chaos blessed them with rapid mutations and a new purpose. As such the chaos space marines are an completely different faction and have entirely different motivations, units and general feel. They started from the same basis but ended up corrupted beyond reproach.

In short, chaos space marines are evil marines with a whole swath of daemonic goodies.
If you want the long version, read the horus heresy books.

spurker
25-09-2011, 19:53
Tabletop wise there are a lot of similarities. Main differences include higher leadership, more troop options, loads less fast attack and heavy support options.

fusioncell
25-09-2011, 20:04
Ok, thank you. Are they particularly deadly in certain situations? For example is it best to stop them getting into close combat or should I try and get into close combat if I am fighting them with normal marines?

So they are angry space marines? XD well I thought all space marines were angry.

spurker
25-09-2011, 20:11
If you are using certain marines (plague and Khorne berzerkers especially) you definitely need to get them into close combat as soon as possible. Others (thousand sons) it is best to not get them into close combat. Noise marines have awesome guns, but people think that they are overcosted.

EDIT:
totally just realised that I was answering your questions backwards!
Don't assault plague marines or khorne berzerkers if you can avoid it. Assault thousand sons and noise marines as soon as possible.

GodlessM
25-09-2011, 20:17
Am...they aren't the same army remotely, so I would assume that's why they get their own book. A better question would be why wouldn't they have their own book?

Korraz
25-09-2011, 20:35
They used to get Veteran Abilities to reflect centuries of experience.
Yeah. I miss those times...

fusioncell
25-09-2011, 22:19
Sorry GodlessM I am very new to this, I just thought they were a different chapter or something, being Space Marines and all.

Thanks very much :) It gives me a rounded view, I am playing with cardboard cut outs with a friend while I work out what army list to go for and just so I get a bit more experience under my belt before I dive in.

herbtarkel
25-09-2011, 22:40
Spikey...angst ridden...E-daddy doesn't love them...magicy...

That's Space Wolves! OR Dark Angels. One of the two.

Horus Heresy is a great start to read up on the fall from Space Marine to the Ruinous Powers. They are among the best books ever written by BL. I started buying them at the beginning.

On a separate note, and I know it's been asked before, or talked about before. I wish GW would do a proper Warhammer 30,000 - and take us back to the Heresy. Or FW - well, yes, they have all the old armour now, and the Mk 1 Rhino and Raider kits, but I think it would be some well received by the mainstream 40k crowd, that there would be a 30k crowd too. People like old school!

Latro_
25-09-2011, 22:40
Go on ebay find this book:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warhammer-40K-Codex-Chaos-OOP-/170697259841?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item27be597b41#ht_906wt_905

its the chaos codex from the second edition of 40k. There are loads of them about and they go real cheap it is a must have for any chaos space marine player. The fluff and art inside is worth 3 times what you'll pick one up for.

give that a read and you'll know all about csm.

herbtarkel
25-09-2011, 22:46
Go on ebay find this book:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warhammer-40K-Codex-Chaos-OOP-/170697259841?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item27be597b41#ht_906wt_905

its the chaos codex from the second edition of 40k. There are loads of them about and they go real cheap it is a must have for any chaos space marine player. The fluff and art inside is worth 3 times what you'll pick one up for.

give that a read and you'll know all about csm.

I have mine! It is probably the best, and the thickest of the old 2nd ed codices, and all of those were thick!

Also, harder to find but worth it:

Realm of Chaos Slaves to Darkness
Realm of Chaos Lost and the Damned

Chem-Dog
25-09-2011, 22:58
Tabletop wise Chaos are much more flexible. They get units that, theoretically, do what loyalist SM's do, only better.
Regular CSM's can go toe-to-to with Tactical Marines on almost every front, except that they can be armed more flexibly and their numbers aren't as fixed (upto 20 in a squad).

Plague Marines can shrug of horrendous levels of mundane firepower.

Khorne Berzerkers do what most Loyalist Marines only wish they could do in combat.

Noise Marines can hurl out silly amounts of firepower, even on the move.

And Thousand sons provide a fairly hard to kill Marine killer squad.

And that's all in the troops section alone.

Much has been, and will continue to be said about the problems of the CSM Codex, so I'll gloss over that other than to say it has some very real problems if you're a veteran player who's found large chunks of your army (often expensive custom units) relegated to "counts as" status. As a newbie, you shouldn't feel the pinch as much.

You can tailor a force quite heavily to favour your preffered way of playing, although the FA and HS sections tend to be a little on the lite side, there're a few options in each that'll be so worthwhile, you'll not notice the absence of real alternatives.

Okuto
25-09-2011, 23:01
Ummm...chaos marines are just beakies with spike on them.....

At least that's how it feels now

I always saw them as bitter Vets from many battles that didn't care what it took to win....my how they have fallen....now our fellow chaos players(including my Alpha Legion) have to pretend to be loyalists just for people to take us seriously....

fusioncell
26-09-2011, 09:30
Ok, thank you for all your info everyone! It's much appreciated.

orkmiester
26-09-2011, 10:21
as has been said they shunned the light of the emperor and gave themselves to the chaos gods... whether some of them regret it or not is a different matter all together:shifty:

anyway since you seem to be starting them- you won't regret it i'm starting them as i always liked the look of them (and perhaps most of the chaos players i know have been doing them for years:shifty:), and there is a bit of a 'cross over' in terms of their army builds etc very similar in style to the Space wolves in certain ways...

of course they have some stuff that 'loyalist' marines only dream of- khorne bezerkers are one if you ever get a 10 man unit in cc watch out:D. Plague marines are a little underestimated as having fnp and toughness 5 against most shooting usually means fustration for the shooting player... unless that is one silly numpty thought his 2, 5 man squads could take on my incubi/archon:evilgrin: 2 pain points thanks very much.

of course i'm going for 2 vindicators and a defiler in the heavy section you cannot have too much heavy firepower:p

RunepriestRidcully
26-09-2011, 11:15
They lack anything in fast attack apart from rapters and bikers (I don't count spawn because they are just a really bad joke.) Have no land raider varients (and there land raiders are worse) also thay have barely any options to customise charecters, units and the psychic powers are not that great compared to the modern ones, though that is mainly because we have to pay for them. So basically it plays ike the marine codex only worse in many areas with a few advantages such as the cult units (yay for Thousand sons).
Yeah, I miss the previous codex, it's also why I bought FFG's "Black Crusade" as soon as it came out, and am hoping there is group for it at uni.