PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings 2500

Mithosiris
25-09-2011, 21:34
Hi I have made a list for a coming tournament here where I live, what changes would you do? Could it be competitive?

Tomb Prince - Glittering scales, Dragonbane Gem, GW, Swift Blade

Hierophant - LvL 4, Talisman of preservation, Dispell Scroll
Necrotect

16 Archers - Standard
15 Archers - Standard & Musician

8 Chariots - Standard & Musician + Fire Banner

28 Tomb Guard - Halbeards Full command + Banner of Undying legion
Warsphinx - Fiery Roar
Warsphinx - Fiery Roar
4 Necropoly Knights - Standard & Musician

Casket of Souls

So what do you think?

ClockBlock
26-09-2011, 00:13
Well, I don't have the newest TK book, but I think I can make a few suggestions.

-Get rid of the Necropolis knights. I've played in a tournament with my Cold One Knights (I play Dark Elves) and they got absolutely ruined. Calvary aren't all that great any more. If you do insist on using them, put them all in one rank and give them a commander. One extra attack can make a big difference.

-You should probably get a few more archers, give them both 20 archers each. If you put them in two ranks, all 20 could fire.

-The Hierophant doesn't have to be level 4, though that's just me. I'm not sure whats with the whole 'Wizard Level 4 is mandatory' thing that's been going around. I use a level 2 sorceress and it works just fine. (Though she did explode once during a tournament. Damn you miscasts!)

-I've got nothing against Tomb Guard, if your Prince is going in there. If not, you either make them 30, or 25.

-You may want to consider dropping one Warsphinx and getting some skeleton warriors, even if they're barely big enough to qualify as a harassment unit.

-I've got nothing for the Casket.

metalloveman
26-09-2011, 00:52
Necropolis Knights aren't really cav, so that argument isn't really valid + cold one knights are crazy underpriced, so idk what your problem is. If you expect your cav to charge into a big horde of infantry and win then your doing it wrong. instead use them to hunt monsters(imunne to thunder stomp), go after small bunker units(people love to hide their lvl 4 with 10-20 infantry behind their lines), go after light/scout units(camo skinks are bitches).

A level 4 is great because increasing your casting value is really hard to do otherwise, the book of ashur does something similar to a wizard level but is twice as expensive. 35 points is a steal.

I'd take out 1 necro knight and give the chariots the fire banner(flaming shooting lets you take away regen and then flaming impact hits!) then add a few more tomb gaurd or archers.

Mithosiris
26-09-2011, 09:45
Necropolis Knights aren't really cav, so that argument isn't really valid + cold one knights are crazy underpriced, so idk what your problem is. If you expect your cav to charge into a big horde of infantry and win then your doing it wrong. instead use them to hunt monsters(imunne to thunder stomp), go after small bunker units(people love to hide their lvl 4 with 10-20 infantry behind their lines), go after light/scout units(camo skinks are bitches).

A level 4 is great because increasing your casting value is really hard to do otherwise, the book of ashur does something similar to a wizard level but is twice as expensive. 35 points is a steal.

I'd take out 1 necro knight and give the chariots the fire banner(flaming shooting lets you take away regen and then flaming impact hits!) then add a few more tomb gaurd or archers.

Yeah sorry, chariots have the fire banner, i forgot to put it..

Rosstifer
26-09-2011, 10:01
Necro Knights are awesome, Sphinxes are awesome, Casket is awesome, Tomb Guard are a bit meh, do you have a Screaming Skull Catapult? I'd try get one in, drop some Tomb Guard. Or drop the Guard altogether, get some more Bowmen and maybe a Scorpion.

Mithosiris
26-09-2011, 12:03
Necro Knights are awesome, Sphinxes are awesome, Casket is awesome, Tomb Guard are a bit meh, do you have a Screaming Skull Catapult? I'd try get one in, drop some Tomb Guard. Or drop the Guard altogether, get some more Bowmen and maybe a Scorpion.

How do you manage the Tower Scenario without any strong unit with tomb kings if you dont go with Tomb Guard?

Morax
26-09-2011, 12:45
I would advise you run your list as written. Tombguard are great at what they do, that would be chop up horded up units of cheap troops. I have also seen tombguard stand toe to toe with chaos chosen of 3++ and come out the other side alive. All in all a very strong unit to have around in either the 6x5 block or 3x10 horde.

I would strongly stay away from droping your necropolis knights down below 4. A unit of 3 does just fine in close combat, but if you take a unit of 3 that is not what you are going to have when they make it to close combat. You will have a unit of 2 because they are the hardest hitting unit that you have that can be affected but light arms fire so people will shoot at them killing on average of 1 before they ever see combat. A unit of 2 will not kill what you need them to and will die quickly to return attacks. If I would venture any advise with this unit I would drop both of the war sphinxes and boost the unit to 6-8 and with the remaining points replace your necrotect with Ramhotep and take a second unit of chariots. A unit of 6-8 Necropolis knights with a 3+ rerollable is just plain nasty and chariots will wreck things more often then not.

fusionmonkey
26-09-2011, 15:46
i would absoultly keep the warsphinxes, they are amazing and do something the rest of the army cant do.

and clockblock no offense but its hard to take tomb king advice from anyone who thinks necro knights are normal horse calvery. please only comment on a list if you know about it please. no offense intended.

grhino
28-09-2011, 07:35
I agree with the latter. I don't have any Necropolis knights for my army yet but their rules and stats make them an awesome and versatile unit.

Have not used Warspinx yet in battle, so wonder how they will perform... usually tandems of such strong units are quite effective.

The only thing I would change is the 8 strong chariot unit. How do you intend to run it? 5+3 in ranks, with reforms as necessary? Might want to consider 2 units of 4, or one of 5 and one of 3: depending on the role you intend them to fulfil.

Barbar139
28-09-2011, 17:09
I strongly recomment taking a Tomb King with the Death Mask of Kharnut. No Inspiring Presence, no reroll of BSB... That's the doom of many horde armies, mostly skaven.