PDA

View Full Version : Maximising problems

Skarsgard
25-09-2011, 22:37
When you charge you are supposed to maximise combatants from both sides, but what do you do if maximising would bring you into contact with another unit? Do you:

a. avoid maximising
b. declare a charge at both units

Thanks

Scalebug
25-09-2011, 22:48
Well, you have to maximise, and if doing so means you will have to get into contact with the other unit, you have to declare a charge against them as well.

With measuring before you move, it is not something that should come as a surprise when you move the models (thus risking to break the flow of how charges are resolved).

brynolf
25-09-2011, 23:11
From the FAQ:

Q: If I can only maximise the number of models fighting by
contacting another enemy unit, must I declare a charge against that
unit? (p20)
A: No.

It doesn't explicitly say that you are allowed to NOT maximize while charging though. As usual the FAQ gives vague answers. How hard can it be?

Skarsgard
25-09-2011, 23:17
That FAQ quote is less than helpful.

I guess it means you don't maximise.

Scalebug
25-09-2011, 23:47
The rules seem to make the assumption that you normally don't want to engage several units, and that declaring a charge on multiples is a last resort.

There are some fail-safes in place, the 1" rule being suspended for chargers, and the recieving unit aligning if needed and such, but it feels like something that could easily be abused... Hmmm...

Yrrdead
26-09-2011, 01:11
You avoid maximizing.

shakedown47
26-09-2011, 01:28
It's not hard at all. You must maximize the number of models in combat to the degree that you're able; terrain and other units in the way can prevent being able to maximize combatants. You would only have to declare a charge against the second unit if you were not able to complete the charge against the first unit without doing so, i.e. a situation that will almost never, ever happen.

In other words, it is mandatory to complete the charge if possible. Once the requirement of completing the charge has been met, you must then maximize combatants. Note that in some extremely uncommon situations, two hordes with only their corners touching could have "maximized" the combatants. Maximizing means bringing as many people into the combat as the situation allows. In your example, since the second enemy unit did not prevent your charging unit from at least contacting the first enemy unit, no secondary charge can or should be made.

The main problem here is that some need to update their understanding of the word maximizing. Again, in your original example, if your chargers were only able to get two or three models into combat without contacting the second enemy unit, then you maximized them.

SkawtheFalconer
26-09-2011, 13:36
The rulebook explicitly states that you cannot 'accidentally' charge an enemy, so for me that would mean you can only maximise to the extent of not bringing the non-charged unit into base contact.