PDA

View Full Version : 2400pts High Elves Tournament - Winter Incursion 2011 List

Quannum
25-09-2011, 22:46
Hello all,

After a hiatus from playing the Asur, I'm back with a list that I would like some thoughts on. It'll be a comped tournament, so no Book of Hoeth or special characters, but they look favourably on multiple Eagles if the rest of the list is varied.

The last thing I am not completely sold on yet is whether to go for High Magic or Shadow. I guess it's the age-old question!

So I present to you:

Archmage - Level 4, Annulian Crystal, Skeinsliver, Dragonbane Gem (High/Shadow)
Noble - BSB, Great Weapon, Armour of Caledor, Guardian Pheonix
31 Archers (10x3) - Full Command, Banner of the Eternal Flame (joined by Archmage)
10 Archers (5x2) - Musician
10 Archers (5x2) - Musician
21 White Lions (7x3) - Full Command, Banner of Sorcery, Ironcurse Icon (joined by BSB)
21 Swordmasters (7x3) - Full Command, Banner of Swiftness, Amulet of Light
5 Dragon Princes - Musician
5 Dragon Princes - Musician
Great Eagle
Great Eagle
Great Eagle
Great Eagle

The general thinking is to win deployment with the Eagles and the mini Archer blocks. The Archer Horde bunker will take up a position towards the centre of the field and pepper the enemy, take out A-Bombs, etc. The support Archers are there to pepper flanking light cavalry, and to redirect nasties. The Eagles will work in pairs on the flank to fly and tie up any warmachines, threats to flanks, etc. The positioning of the hammer units (WL and SM) will depend on what the enemy has done, but in general, the default will be to set up on the flank and march up and in towards the centre. The Princes provide some change of pace and will each work with a Hammer unit, to try and get the charge. Basically, If they want my Archmage, they're gonna have to take a trip through the middle, which should leave some nice opportunities for flank charges. Did I mention flanks?

As to the Archmage lore choice, considering this battle plan my general thinking seems to lean towards taking High Magic - it's a very cheap, underrated Lore. But I like the versatility of Shadow too...

Thoughts?

Q

p.s. ...flank.

Fenrisulfr
26-09-2011, 01:46
I'm slightly concerned that you may lack staying power. That's something to play test, though if it were me, I'd probably take phoenix guard instead of the swordmasters.

I think that you'll like shadow magic better. miasma will make your archers super effective, and of course okkam's mindrazor on elves is super imba.

Morax
26-09-2011, 14:33
I would suggest swaping the annulian crystal for the silver wand if you are going to run a single wizard. A level 4 is not garrenteed to get the spells you want and that extra spell may mean the differance between steed of shadows and mind razor.

Between the two lore choices I would suggest you play test them both and see how they link in to your battle plan. Flames of the Pheonix is devestating on horded up units and drain magic is the answer to everone's favorite level 4 vs. mindrazor on bowmen and pit of shades to deal with HPAs/Hydras/Stanks. A toss up really and totally dependant on your local tournament meta.

grhino
30-09-2011, 07:34
Like the originality of the list - I think it could work!

teclis1er
29-10-2011, 13:34
Like the originality of the list - I think it could work!

my sentiments exactly