PDA

View Full Version : 2500 LM tourney list

Loq-Gor
26-09-2011, 02:17
OK so I have a tournament in late Oct. It's 2500 pts, no SCs, and BSB is required in all armies. Finally there is a good vs evil theme so I will only be facing armies from the forces of destruction and possibly the non aligned forces. What do you all think of this list?

Slann- Lore of Life, Cupped Hands, BSB, Standard of Discipline, Focus of Mystery, and Focused Rumination

Oldblood- Fencer's Blades and Armour of Fortune

Skink Priest- Lvl 2, Dispel Scroll, and Cloak of Feathers

Scar Vet- Gold Sigil Sword, Dragonhelm, Talisman of Protection, Light Armour, and Shield

Scar Vet- Burning Blade of Chotec, Gambler's Armour, Dragonbane Gem, and Shield

Saurus Warriors- x24, HW/Sh, Full Cmd

Saurus Warriors- x24, HW/Sh, Full Cmd

Skink Skirmishers- x10, Blowpipes, Champion

Temple Guard- x20, Full Cmd

Terradon Riders- x4

Salamander- x2, extra handler

Salamander- x2, extra handler

Total 2500

So pretty straight forward list. Any advice would be appreciated.

Vsurma
26-09-2011, 09:19
Your old blood won't actually do a whole lot for this cost.

He essentially has 2 defensive items. As a lord level combat character he will already hit 95% of his targets on 3s so getting higher ws doesn't do a whole lot.

Ultimately he gets 3.3 S5 hits a turn, for 200pts. Not a great investment.

Generally lord level combat characters aren't really worth taking unless your taking an item that costs over 50pts.

The difference in a scar vet and an old blood are small but the price difference is high. Also it would give you enough points to get cogitation on the slann which kicks ass!

Also get some chamo skinks, they kick ass also.

The Atavist
27-09-2011, 17:28
It's a good start but you need to drop the Old blood entirely. Use the points to get 3 units of 5 chamelion skinks and a unit of skink skirmishers.
Drop the cloak of feathers on your Skink priest. He doesn't need to be flying around casting anything. Just hide him in a unit or behind your temple guard and use him as a scroll caddy.
I like to take a second lvl1 skink priest and put a Cube of Darkness on them for total magic phase domination.
Also, units of 3 salamanders rock the house. 2 of 2 is great, 2 of 3 is better.

I personally don't run Scar vets either as I find that for their points I can get so much more out of a temple guard bunker.

zielonkak
27-09-2011, 19:11
yea i only run old blood if i use carnasour....which works awsome with a slann and drop salamanders and add stegadon....big monsters at each flank with a slann...with blocks in center and some skinks....

Dungeon_Lawyer
28-09-2011, 07:25
1.Drop the terradon riders, pick up a 10 man chamo skink unit.

2.Drop the old-blood entirely and drop the preist to level 1 and drop thecloak of feathers. Use the freed up points to buy another chamo skink unit, mount your scar-vets on cold ones, and give the skink priest the cube of darkness. Now give the Slann the dispel scroll.

Loq-Gor
28-09-2011, 08:27
OK, virtually everyone has said take the chamo skinks. Someone give me a good reason why, because frankly under the current army book and BRB I don't see their value.

@Vsurma: 2/3 of 6 is 4 not 3.3

@Dungeon_Lawyer: The Slann has the cupped hands and therefore cannot take the scroll

Rajhald
28-09-2011, 11:47
I personally run my Slann with: becalming, higher state, loremaster, bonus die, flaming banner, crown of command, rod that lets you reroll 1 miscast.

Drop the TG and take 2 30 man Saurus blocks. Drop the old blood and one scar vet. Run the remaining scarvet with a GW and the armor of destiny. Lvl 1 scroll caddy. And drop the terradons.

I don't know why chameleon skinks escape you but they are scouting skirmishers that will kill a warmachine a turn in shooting. Not to mention they force your opponent to deploy differently in order to stop you from harassing them all game. Well worth their points.

My ethereal slann followed by salamanders are the MVPs of every game I play.

Dungeon_Lawyer
29-09-2011, 03:47
OK, virtually everyone has said take the chamo skinks. Someone give me a good reason why, because frankly under the current army book and BRB I don't see their value.
Chamo's are incredible units with a lot of bang for the buck.

Good stuff about them:

1. Best BS in the lizardman army. They can double tap blowpipes from long range and still get poison on 6's. Thats very sweet. Then against most non cav units if they are charged chamo's will also have stand and shoot as an charge reaction option.

2. They are stubborn in woods and move quickly through aquatic/marsh like terrain. Neither are game changing but incredibly useful if used properly. Toughness 6 stubborn chamo skinks can tie up units quite well:evilgrin:

3. Very hard to hit. -1 for skrimish & -1 for camo makes them hard to hit with missile fire. Chamo skinks make excellant hunters of enemy annoyance units like gutter runners, wolf riders, warhounds etc.

4.They can scout. They excel at war machine hunting, killing chariots, and are very dangerous to lone characters. Scouts rule presents us with the chance to net us thier points back (and possible much more) in just one turn of shooting.

@Dungeon_Lawyer: The Slann has the cupped hands and therefore cannot take the scroll

Ah yes arcane x 2, Cupped hands for sure then and either cube or scroll on priest.

tmarichards
29-09-2011, 05:28
+1 for dropping the Oldblood and putting in some chameleons.

If you're running Saurus heavy, I'd suggest at least playing a couple of practice games with Light magic. Becalming would also be nice on him, and if you really want to upset people, Soul of Stone + Cupped Hands is just rude...

I don't think the Priest needs the second level or the Cloak, there's no reason he can't just sit at the back of the board or in a corner on his own for several games.

Also, I have some suggestions for your Scar-Vet set-ups. First up, they both appear to be missing their rides, mounted Scar-Vets are so good! The Cold One should basically come as standard IMO. Secondly, I think you'd get more mileage out of:

Light armour, Burning Blade, Charmed Shield, Dawnstone (and of course the compulsory Cold One)- with a 1+ re-rollable, and the ability to shrug off a cannonball, this guy will make very short work of abombs and hydras.

For the other- great weapon, light armour, Firefly Venom, 2+ ward vs the first wound suffered, Dragonhelm. Here you have another gentleman who can run around on his own (and dodge the first cannonball), and can also swat Black Coaches etc very very quickly- given that you'll only be playing evil armies, and it's a tournament, running into at least one Coach is very likely. He's also good at mangling knights, at at T5 with a 1+ save, he can usually take impact hits and still knock the chariot for 6.

Loq-Gor
29-09-2011, 08:44
OK my fault, I was misreading the scout rules under 8th, I see the value again. Good too as I was always a fan of Chamo skinks under the 6th ed LM book.

460- Slann: Mystery, Rumination, Cogitation, Cupped Hands, BSB, Banner of Discipline

139- Scar Vet: Halberd, Armour of Silvered Steel, Luck Stone

133- Scar Vet: Gold Sigil Sword, Dragonhelm, Talisman of Protection, Shield, LA

133- Scar Vet: Gambler's Armour, Burning Blade of Chotek, Dragonbane Gem, Shield

140- Skink Priest: Lvl 2, Cube of Darkness

294- Saurus Warriors: x24, HW/Sh, Full Cmd

294- Saurus Warriors: x24, HW/Sh, Full Cmd

76- Skink Skirmishers: x10, brave, blowpipes

78- Chameleon Skinks: x6, brave

78- Chameleon Skinks: x6, brave

355- Temple Guard: x20, Full Cmd

160- Salamanders: x2, extra handler

160- Salamanders: x2, extra handler

Vsurma
29-09-2011, 10:21
Fairly nice, I don't think you really need a scar vet in a unit of TG though, he dispaces a TG that has 2 S4 attacks at WS4 already so the gain you get for the cost of a scar vet isn't all that great. The same price would let you buy 8 more templeguard or 11 chamo skinks.

Otherwise I think its a decent list, the TG just don't really need a hero in the unit, unless you just like it for the feel of having heroes in each unit. (though they do have the slann)

ewar
29-09-2011, 11:33
Fairly nice, I don't think you really need a scar vet in a unit of TG though, he dispaces a TG that has 2 S4 attacks at WS4 already so the gain you get for the cost of a scar vet isn't all that great. The same price would let you buy 8 more templeguard or 11 chamo skinks.

Otherwise I think its a decent list, the TG just don't really need a hero in the unit, unless you just like it for the feel of having heroes in each unit. (though they do have the slann)

FYI the TG are S5, as they are bound to use their halberds and lose the pip of armour.

Personally, I think the list looks very light on troops - you have fewer saurus than I run in my 2k tourney list, as 24 saurus wont last long against any elven/chaos/dwarf units with decent numbers.

I would say 2 x 30 is much better as you're spending an awful lot in heroes - you'll be in danger of them wilting fast in combat, regardless of the vets in there.

zielonkak
29-09-2011, 19:15
agreed....more saurus warriors...drop one vet

Dungeon_Lawyer
29-09-2011, 19:24
agreed....more saurus warriors...drop one vet

Yeah drop one vet and mount the remaining 2 on cold one's(more movement, cause fear/fear(& terror) immunity for the vet and 2+ to the armor save. ) Then add more saurus warriors.

Level 2 on priest is a luxary item-not really needed. Cube is luxary item too-in a points pinch the reg dispel scroll works just fine most instances as well.

zielonkak
30-09-2011, 20:34
im new to 8th edition, so this may be a dumb question, but why is level 2 upgrades in magic not worth the points anymore? did they change magic dice now too?

ewar
30-09-2011, 20:49
im new to 8th edition, so this may be a dumb question, but why is level 2 upgrades in magic not worth the points anymore? did they change magic dice now too?

Hehe, I'd definitely recommend taking a look at the book - magic has changed more than any other phase. The dice are generated randomly now, not dependent on the caster levels.

Personally I dont take skink priests at all unless playing storm of magic - they just add nothing for their cost to me. Some people like them though...