PDA

View Full Version : Dreadfleet thoughts

Thruster
26-09-2011, 06:28
Got my copy a few days ago. I read the rules, story lines, some campaigns, and assembled the miniatures... So here's some review:

Ocean Matt: It's one big piece of cloth. I thought that it would be a foldable paper board, but this is something new. The cloth is smooth, but may not be enough to slide the miniatures around without friction. I might have to pin down the corners during play to stop the ships dragging up the cloth, but we'll see in the gameplay.

Cards: Cards are nicely made, good quality and colorings... Though a bit small. They give you small plastic bags to put the cards into, though I think giving us some cool box to hold the cards would be better.

Rule book: Very nice, everything is color pages, good short rules and background. The rules is only 30 pages with lots of pictures for clarity, so it will be a quick read(I got through the whole thing in only a few hours). The rules are simple enough, but I'm not sure about the balance between factions though. Alliance seems to be about Hammering/Ramming and using auxiliaries dragon/dwarf flying machine, along with good speed. Dreadfleet focus on slow, resilient, and good assault.

Models: Very nice quality and details, you can put the whole thing together without any use of superglue!!

Other stuff: Every markers and even RULERS came with the plastic pack that you have to cut out and paint by yourselves... You need to paint your own RULER!!! That's my biggest turn off. The rulers came in 3 pieces, so it's not as flexible as it seems compare to the promotion pictures.

Over all, I'm pleased with what I get, and this should be a good start to get my friends who don't play boardgames or Warhammer to try new things, mostly because of the nice miniatures and short rules. I will start painting the miniatures and get some games in a few days. I should be able to get back with how the game plays later on.

Anyone try a game yet?

snottlebocket
26-09-2011, 07:08
Most of us don't have a box yet but it pretty much sounds as expected. From what I gather the rules and gameplay are a bit more simplistic and predictive than I hoped for but meh.

Satan
26-09-2011, 07:51
Does it seem flexible? Could you see yourself making up new scenarios with different or even multiple versions of the same ships? Is there anything that could be used as a basis for a scoring system in different scenarios (ie. VPs)?

Deff Mekz
26-09-2011, 07:59
You lucky git. :D Thanks for the review, the fact that everything seems good quality pumps up my excitement a little more. Oh and not meaning to be a pain, but could wwe perhaps have some pictures of the ships unpainted. Cheers, Deff

Thruster
26-09-2011, 08:11
Does it seem flexible? Could you see yourself making up new scenarios with different or even multiple versions of the same ships? Is there anything that could be used as a basis for a scoring system in different scenarios (ie. VPs)?

The scenarios seem very flexible indeed. I read some of them and these are some victory conditions: One side gets 8 damage cards and you lose, Breaking out of a castle(terrain with castle on top) where the castle works just like an immobile ship and escape off the board, and use trophies as barrel of rum and you must use small cog ships to go get the rums!!

You lucky git. Thanks for the review, the fact that everything seems good quality pumps up my excitement a little more. Oh and not meaning to be a pain, but could wwe perhaps have some pictures of the ships unpainted. Cheers, Deff

I already started painting the Hammership and ghost ship, but yah, will try to get some pics up once I get home.

jimbo2
26-09-2011, 08:44
You need to paint your own RULER!!! That's my biggest turn off.

Pretty sure that's been the case for every GW game they've made.

Do the scenarios usually use all the ships or some smaller engagements?

Liber
26-09-2011, 09:23
Ocean Matt: I might have to pin down the corners during play to stop the ships dragging up the cloth, but we'll see in the gameplay.

Anyone try a game yet?

well, looking at the thread before i clicked on it, i hoped that the you had played a game or 2....:shifty:

but oh well, still thanks for some info, that whole bit about the ships not needing to be glued is very surprsing, but i'm glad too hear it, i hope GW continues to do that sort of thing (for example my friends Chaos Marauder Horsemen fit so well on their mounts that you just snap them on before/after battle)

anyways, GL getting your friends introduced to the world of miniature gaming :D and i look forward to updates

Thruster
26-09-2011, 15:06
Here are some pics of the assembled ships

Swordfish with Dice
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv144/Shigotoman/Dread%20Fleet/IMG_0065.jpg

Bloody Reaver with Dragon, Cog Auxiliary, and Dice
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv144/Shigotoman/Dread%20Fleet/IMG_0068.jpg

Everybody together
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv144/Shigotoman/Dread%20Fleet/IMG_0066.jpg

Urgat
26-09-2011, 15:26
Do you think the pole of a flying base would fit, for the dragon?

jullevi
26-09-2011, 15:41
How big are the cards included? I am definitely going to sleeve mine if I can find some suitable sized sleeves.

Thruster
26-09-2011, 16:45
Well, I played a game with my bro, so here is a battle report!!

Note: Didn't paint anything yet except a few Red with black ink on the Hammership.

We played the first scenario in the book, where one of us control one ship each and duke it out until a ship gets 8+ Damage cards or get Destroyed. I went with Alliance's Hammership, while he plays Dread Fleet's Bloody Reaver.

Set up:
We have to put ALL terrains in the middle of the board and set up in corners across each other. The Dice showed where we must put terrains and ship.
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv144/Shigotoman/Dread%20Fleet/IMG_0072.jpg

Picture with Warship Cards, Orders, Captain Wound Card, and Fate/Damage Deck.
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv144/Shigotoman/Dread%20Fleet/IMG_0076.jpg

Turn 1:
Hammership got the initiative.

We each drew a fate card. I drew a Gale Force Wind card that gives Wind Strength 7!! along with +3 Wind Strength remain in play. Since the Wind token is right across his ship, if he fail his command check, his Speed 10 Warship won't be going anywhere (10-10 = 0 movement). He then proceeds to pick up Becalmed Card, so the wind became Strength 1 and all sail ships have halved speed... Oh the irony.

I ordered the Hammership to full speed and flew forward a mighty 15" (2D6 gave a 9" + 6" speed). Funny enough, he failed his command check for moving against the wind, so get to move merely 1" (5" - 4" Wind Strength since the first Fate card add 3 more Wind Strength).

End of Turn 1.
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv144/Shigotoman/Dread%20Fleet/IMG_0078.jpg

Turn 2:
Hammer Ship got the initiative.

Fate cards showed Bone Hydra Rises and Wind of Aqshy. Eventhough I was the one who picked up the Bone Hydra card, but it states the Bone Hydra goes 1" to the ship that is closest to the Wind Token... which, ofcourse, is me! As for the other Fate card, both of us have to roll D6, a 1 gives Ablaze Card. Guess what, both of us rolled a 1...

My bro gets to place the Bone Hydra.
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv144/Shigotoman/Dread%20Fleet/IMG_0079.jpg

Hammership use order to Repair and throw away the Ablaze card. I then proceed to move and turn the ship but didn't go full speed, since I want to blast away that Bone Hydra(Crew 4!!!) before it can move. 6 shots later, and the Hydra suffer 2 Hulls and 1 Crew Damage = a Really Dead Hydra.
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv144/Shigotoman/Dread%20Fleet/IMG_0080.jpg

Bloody Reaver ignore Ablaze card, hoping for a Regen next turn if things go bad. He is also quite afraid of the Hammer, so he wants to get me before I can turn my ship forward. He ordered Full Speed and ran forward.

End of Turn 2
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv144/Shigotoman/Dread%20Fleet/IMG_0081.jpg

Turn 3:
Dread Fleet got the initiative.

Ablaze cause him one Speed Damage Card(really bad rolling for him so far).
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv144/Shigotoman/Dread%20Fleet/IMG_0084.jpg

Fate showed up Rain of Snakes and Fiery Phoenix. Rain of Snakes is Crew 1 boarding attack. No big deal, I have Crew 6. I rolled 1,2,2,3,4,4 the snake rolled 5... Damn. Drew one Damage card getting Fire on Deck (get Ablaze card... again... and 1 or 2 in the future add more Ablaze cards). Fiery Phoenix only works with Seadrake, so nothing happens except the Wind Token shifting around.

Bloody Reaver Ordered Repair Ablaze (Didn't use Full Speed, because if he rolled well he would be hitting a ship wreck) but failed to Regen the Speed Damage, then ran forward, turning away from wreck a bit. I wanted to use the hammer, but decided to stay still and show him my side.(my front is against Wind Token, so I don't need to move) I have to turn a lot to get to put my front on him, so next turn he can charge me and I won't be able to use my hammer in his boarding action phase. So I Order Fire as She Bare to counter his attack next turn and start shooting, getting 2 Crew Damage (4 hits but 2 Saves).

End of Turn 3
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv144/Shigotoman/Dread%20Fleet/IMG_0086.jpg

Turn 4:
Hammership got initiative.

Ablaze caused me 1 Crew Damage.

Fate that matter was a Sea Giant showing up, but since he is closer to the Wind Token, I get my revenge.
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv144/Shigotoman/Dread%20Fleet/IMG_0090.jpg

I Repaired Ablaze, place anchor so I don't have to move, then start shooting. The shooting cause 2 Damages: Triple Speed and Special status that say his Head Gunner is dead (-1 shooting modifier). He spent his Ordered to control the Sea Giant to walk around the wreck towards me and Regen a crew damage. He then proceed to ram into me, but I get to fire again from my Fire as She Bare Order. My counter firing saw another 2 Damages: 1 Speed and 1 Crew. Our captain clash and saw my captain losing a wound. He then proceed to smack 2 Damages to me in assault: 1 Crew and 1 Hull.

Turn 5:
I got the iniative, fire at him, and won the game as he got 8 Damage Cards(1 Speed and 1 Special that give him +1 handling).

Final Thoughts:
-Ships are hard to destroy!!! Of the 8 Damage Cards I gave him, only 2 Crews Damage mattered in sinking the ship. I need 5 more Crew Damage OR 6 Hull Damage to sink him. 6 other Damage Cards he drew were just slowing his speed or giving him negative modifiers in shooting and handling.

-The ocean gaming cloth needs to be smoother/silkier as our ships and rulers keep picking them up as we move around. It really needs to be pinned down or put a plastic sheet over it for a smooth play.

-Fates and Wind really have a big effect. My bro couldn't move in turn one because of the Wind was against him, and I had to slow down to deal with the Hydra that happens to appear behind my back, not to mention the raining snake and fiery weather that cause damages to our ships.

-Initiative is a big thing. I was quite lucky to seizing the initiative in the last turn, or he would be able to Repair and Regen his ship, and I would be very screwed.

-Ships are quite hard to maneuver, especially you MUST move if you don't use anchor. I didn't turn around to use my hammer because I wasn't sure if I can turn hard enough to face him, if not I would be stuck in a ship wreck and screwed.

That's all for now. Hope you guys like it!

Thruster
26-09-2011, 16:57
Do you think the pole of a flying base would fit, for the dragon?

Nope, I compared the Dragon Pole with my Pegasus Knight Pole, and the Dragon Pole seems much smaller. You could probably try to trim the flying base down with hobby knife and clipper though.

How big are the cards included? I am definitely going to sleeve mine if I can find some suitable sized sleeves.

Damage, Fate, and Status Cards are 4.2 x 6.3 cm.
Warship and Order Cars are 8.1 x 12 cm.

I really don't know why they need all the decimals though.

Grontik
26-09-2011, 17:01
Thanks for the work on the BatRep and the inclusion of pictures was a great touch as it helped to understand things a little better. Looks like a lot of fun and I can't wait to get my hands on this. It will probably take me forever to paint it up as I am slow but that won't stop me from trying to sucker my friends into a game.

Deff Mekz
26-09-2011, 17:26
Thankyou very much for the pics etc;

Deff

RTB01
26-09-2011, 17:37
Sounds fantastic! Is it possible for a single ship to broadside to port and starboard if surrounded or can a single ship only fire one direction in a turn?

Thruster
26-09-2011, 17:44
Sounds fantastic! Is it possible for a single ship to broadside to port and starboard if surrounded or can a single ship only fire one direction in a turn?

It says a ship can fire only one TARGET a turn. Also, the target needs to be on the side(port or starboard) only, you cannot shoot to the front or back side. That's why I was able to shoot into his ship, while he can only melee attacks me.

Verchild
26-09-2011, 18:43
Well Done Sir. I'm excited to get my copy now!

spaint2k
27-09-2011, 16:36
Does it all fit back in the box?

Jind_Singh
27-09-2011, 17:01

When I think about it, it makes sense the ship can only fire to one side at a time - the crew would literally run from one side of the ship to the other to man the cannons - there must have been very few warships with enough crew to man both sides at the same time with their cannon!

Though the Heldenhammer surely looks like such a ship!

Great little bat rep there though - sounds like an interesting game, especially laughed out loud when the rain of snakes managed to damage your ship! What you needed was Samuel Jackson as one of your passengers - he would have beat those snakes!

Shame to hear that the playing mat is clingy - I wonder if by applying a gloss varnish the bottom of my ships/tokens will help? :confused:

If a single ship took so much battering wonder how resilient an entire fleet is!

Slug
27-09-2011, 21:37
Thanks for the report. I guess I better start paying off my lay-by, at this rate it'll be a couple of weeks before I get my hands on it!

Slug

Karak Norn Clansman
27-09-2011, 21:49
Thanks for the review, battle report and pictures. Now I have even more confidence in this game, it might even be enough to introduce my dad to it.

Miskatonic
28-09-2011, 00:41
Can anyone give a brief rundown of how the wind rules work? I know the wind gauge gets randomly placed, and moved around by fate cards, but how exactly does it affect the ships?

This is the one piece of the rules I haven't seen any information about, and it's bugging the hell out of me trying to figure out how it might work.

BTW, according to GW my copy was dispatched today. Let the obsessive mailbox-checking begin!

KomradeKorlash
28-09-2011, 02:26
After reading this, I'm now really excited as I pretty much just started hopping on the wargame train, buying this first and my first Fantasy army shortly after.

Definitely can't wait for this weekend.

Liber
28-09-2011, 06:11
wow, a scenario with just 1 single ship versus another?

that makes me wonder if GW weren't as full of crap as i first suspected when they said that it could be played by more than just 2 people...good news :)

Thruster
28-09-2011, 06:59
Does it all fit back in the box?

They give you large plastic sleeves/bags to put in the cards, but I don't think you can put the assembled ships back into the box without any cushions.

Great little bat rep there though - sounds like an interesting game, especially laughed out loud when the rain of snakes managed to damage your ship! What you needed was Samuel Jackson as one of your passengers - he would have beat those snakes!

Yeah, my bro laughed his ass off when we saw the rolls, he said it was priceless to see my shocked face.

Shame to hear that the playing mat is clingy - I wonder if by applying a gloss varnish the bottom of my ships/tokens will help? :confused:

That's a great idea, Jind!! I might try that actually. Although the ruler spikes were trying to prick up the ocean mat as well (another complain about the damn ruler.. grumble grumble). The only nice thing about the ruler is that when you rotate the middle, it rests nicely at 45 degree angle due to the spikes.

If a single ship took so much battering wonder how resilient an entire fleet is![/QUOTE]

They seems very resilient indeed!! Especially when you keep picking up Speed and Special Damage Cards, since you need only to reduce Hull or Crew to zero to sink the ship. Well, the Heldenhammer and Bloody Reaver were the two biggest ships in the game though.

Thruster
28-09-2011, 08:47
Thanks for the review, battle report and pictures. Now I have even more confidence in this game, it might even be enough to introduce my dad to it.

Yeah, trying to get non-gamers to start in a complex game is quite hard. So, I thought I better start with something simple.

Can anyone give a brief rundown of how the wind rules work? I know the wind gauge gets randomly placed, and moved around by fate cards, but how exactly does it affect the ships?

There are numbers on the side of the board(eg. 2,5), in the beginning you roll 2 dices to see where they go. The strength of the Wind depends on the fate cards. If the Wind is behind you, you can add the Wind Strength to the speed. If in front of you and you fail command check, you deduct it to the speed.

that makes me wonder if GW weren't as full of crap as i first suspected when they said that it could be played by more than just 2 people...good news :)

Well, each scenario use different numbers of ship. We are planning to play 2nd scenario soon, where Alliance use 2 ships and Dread Fleet use only the Black Kraken. The Alliance have to deploy small cog ships to get as many Rums barrels as possible floating in the ocean, and the Black Kraken have to try and sink as many cogs + ships as it can.

Kaptajn_Congoboy
28-09-2011, 09:10

It does seem like a bit of a dice rolling & fate card contest, though...perhaps it will be less of a crap shoot with more ships?

Caine-HoA
28-09-2011, 12:17
Thx for the report, sound like and more or less like expected.

What i think sounds especially nice, is that you said you can put the ships together without glue and paint them later.

Sonson
28-09-2011, 12:54
I just got my confirmation of dispatch with UPS so should have it by tomorrow, I'm ill though so won't really be able to do anything with the ships :( Although the book was abig part of my pre-oredring it anyway-is it full of fluff and such fun? Does it have painting guides etc?

Urgat
28-09-2011, 13:33
It does seem like a bit of a dice rolling & fate card contest, though...perhaps it will be less of a crap shoot with more ships?

Well, there still was the "lure between two islands to force a melee" vs "broadside" action, I think the strategy part should still remain important. Also consider it was only two ships, and it was their very first game, they didn't quite know all the ropes and tricksy tricks :)

M'ichal
28-09-2011, 16:34
Most of the missions in Space Hulk felt like they were decided by every move and loss vs voctory came down to a single action point or two. I remember when we played the mission where you have to obtain the grail and take it back, we would lose if we had 1 action point less.

Does Dreadfleet also feel like every action you take may decide the fate of the game or is it more possible to turn the tides despite your previous actions?

Thruster
28-09-2011, 17:11
Most of the missions in Space Hulk felt like they were decided by every move and loss vs voctory came down to a single action point or two. I remember when we played the mission where you have to obtain the grail and take it back, we would lose if we had 1 action point less.

Does Dreadfleet also feel like every action you take may decide the fate of the game or is it more possible to turn the tides despite your previous actions?

To be frank, this game rely a lot on LUCK. As I said in my battle report, getting initiative in the right turn is big, Fate and Wind are big, and getting the Damage cards you want is also big.

I have a feeling, this is a relaxing game, and not so much a tactical/competitive game.

Caine-HoA
28-09-2011, 17:24
That is also a part of beeing more family friendly (normal boardgame approach). I don't like it if its all about luck (maybe its too much for me from your description in DF).

But after all isn't it exactly that in Space Hulk? If your overwatch marine (or whatever it was called) jams his weapon in the wrong moment out of one dice roll you lose.
Isn't that even more luck based than having luck parts spread all over the game? Only that Space Hulk heavily pretents it is strategy and even give you time pressure for more stress.

M'ichal
28-09-2011, 17:59
That is also a part of beeing more family friendly (normal boardgame approach). I don't like it if its all about luck (maybe its too much for me from your description in DF).

But after all isn't it exactly that in Space Hulk? If your overwatch marine (or whatever it was called) jams his weapon in the wrong moment out of one dice roll you lose.
Isn't that even more luck based than having luck parts spread all over the game? Only that Space Hulk heavily pretents it is strategy and even give you time pressure for more stress.

well, it's kinda hard to pinpoint SH. Many missions felt like they are biased towards either the Marines or Genestealers but then sometimes we were not using all the rules properly so we did some things wrong. I'm sure several missoins would end differently now that we are clearer on some things.

There is a lot of luck, certainly, but I get the feel that a lot really depends on your strategy, i.e. how you arrange your marines, where you place the blips, do you camp or rush towards the gol etc. Sometimes, though, it feels that if you've found that sweet spot for a mission, you don't really want to try new things because u know you'll win with that strategy so what's the point?

Overall, though, I do feel that strategy is a big part in SH, less so than luck. At least for now, until I've played through the missions more times.

Urgat
28-09-2011, 18:42
Sometimes, though, it feels that if you've found that sweet spot for a mission, you don't really want to try new things because u know you'll win with that strategy so what's the point?

Challenge or fun? What's the point of playing at all if you know the outcome for sure?

Belakor
28-09-2011, 18:46
Winning makes your penis grow?

Eddie Chaos
28-09-2011, 19:09

FACT

Oh wait isn't it the other way round? Penis makes your winning grow?

M'ichal
28-09-2011, 19:30
no, no, I definitely don't play just for the win. I guess what I was trying to say is that it rather feels like there's only ONE way to win a mission, i.e. there are no 2 drastically different ways of achieving the goal...but again, I haven't played SH extensively enough. If someone can deny this the more I'll be glad as I love the game.

Deff Mekz
28-09-2011, 19:45

If it did, WAAC players wouldn't be wargaming anymore. :shifty:

Deff

Urgat
28-09-2011, 21:14
Really? I thought the obsession to prove yourself was actually a confession of... bah, never mind.

no, no, I definitely don't play just for the win.

I know, I wasn't attacking you, I was actually adding to your comment. My bad, my English failed me.

UberBeast
29-09-2011, 17:08
I have a feeling that the more ships you play with the less luck is a factor. I'm assuming that you only draw one fate card per side, and if so then the effect is going to be significantly lessened by probability.

musical
29-09-2011, 19:07

This is the one piece of the rules I haven't seen any information about, and it's bugging the hell out of me trying to figure out how it might work.

BTW, according to GW my copy was dispatched today. Let the obsessive mailbox-checking begin!

Got mine today woo hoo

A sail class ship must move at least equal to the wind strength.

A sail class ship with the wind gauge in its rear arc can choose to add the wind strenght to its movement.

A sail class ship with the wind gauge in its front arc is 'caught in irons', does not have to move a distance equal to the wind strength, can not use Full speed ahead order. Must pass a command check to move normally otherwise wind strength act as negative modifier to its movement value.

snottlebocket
29-09-2011, 22:20
I still haven't figured out if it works like warhammer and you move all your units before passing over the turn or you alternate ship activations.

szlachcic
30-09-2011, 02:46
I still haven't figured out if it works like warhammer and you move all your units before passing over the turn or you alternate ship activations.

As far as I understand there is an initiative roll every turn (similar to LotR) to determine who acts first, but players alternate their activations.

Urgat
30-09-2011, 06:29
To be frank, this game rely a lot on LUCK. As I said in my battle report, getting initiative in the right turn is big,

Mmh, it was big in your game because there was only one ship a side, I'm not sure it'd have quite the same impact with multiple ships. Imagine a game of WFB (7th ed) with just one unit.

I supposed it's been asked already, but I suppose the MoW ships are not the same scale at all?

Kaptajn_Congoboy
30-09-2011, 14:57
You can see from the pictures above that it is scaled slightly differently than MoW...but I think they could be used if you are not too picky (as with MoW and Uncharted Seas).

The way the game seems to be designed, I am not sure bigger games would help all that much. There is less control over probabilities in this game than the Spartan naval games - here we are especially talking about the cards, which Spartan gives you control over, and in DF you just flip from the deck. Unless I am mistaken, there is no possibility to pool resources between different ships either, another probability control factor in Spartan's games. And those games still feel pretty damn random.

RTB01
30-09-2011, 22:46
I've really enjoyed reading this thread. I am however very confused how I've parted with 70 and that the UPS site is claiming that my package is due for delivery by the end of Monday - I thought the whole point of advanced orders was that they arrived by the day of release not after?... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

UberBeast
30-09-2011, 22:55
I've really enjoyed reading this thread. I am however very confused how I've parted with 70 and that the UPS site is claiming that my package is due for delivery by the end of Monday - I thought the whole point of advanced orders was that they arrived by the day of release not after?... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

I feel you bud! A couple years back I had pre-ordered a video game that I had been anticipating for a long time. On the day it came out all my friends on xbox live were getting it in the mail, but mine didn't show up for two days. VERY annoying!

Tae
01-10-2011, 00:06

I believe GW have changed their policy in this regard. For pre-orders (and WD subs) they now only guarantee you a copy which is dispatched on the day of release (or to be in store on the day of release). If you've got it sent to your house, that means Monday unfortunately.

They're really trying to clamp down on people receiving it before the official release date.

Timofeo
03-10-2011, 19:19
Got mine OCT 1st, Its great I have played 3 Games
Bloody Reaver VS Heldenhammer
Black Kraken and Bloody Reaver VS Heldenhammer and Seadrake
and lastly Curse of Zandri VS Sea Drake

The two sides seem pretty balanced so far, while at first the good guys seem better on paper with the stats of their ships the badguys seem to have more buffs for staying alive to outlast the Grand Alliance. The models are amazing but I have no idea how I am going to paint them seems that you have to get the White Dwarf to know the scheme.

I do have 1 question though what primer color should I use. I am thinking black?

Sturen
03-10-2011, 20:38
Well, after three games I have to say I've thoroughly enjoyed it. The damage cards and so on could be a little difficult to keep track off, but most ships where sunk before that became a problem!

Game one was just Heldenhammer vs. Bloody Reaver. Heldenhammer won narrowly. This did feel a little luck based. He drew a nasty damage card (Magazine) but then should have probably repaired it and survived. Eventually the weight of Magazine and two Set Ablazes (all periodic effects) brought him down.

Game two we added the High Elven and Tomb King ship. Both where underwhelming compared to Heldenhammer and Bloody Reaver, but then those two are far and away the best. The High Elven and Tomb King ships both sank and again Heldenhammer beat the Bloody Reaver.

With three ships thing became far more interesting. The Elven ship overshot it's full speed ahead into a reef, but fortunately the Black Kraken wasn't quite quick enough and the Dwarven ship, showing a rare turn of affection to the elves, arrived just in time to ram it's flank, or should I say aft!

The Heldenhammer was boxed in and forced to take a long route to the rear of the enemy attack, where it finished off the Shadewraith with a lucky broadside.

The dwarves and Elven ship focused fire on the Bloody Reaver, who had also run aground. With a spectacular (if I do say so myself) combination of wind and well timed orders the Heldenhammer swung around and finished the Bloody Reaver with a hammer strike. The Black Kraken was eventually defeated by the dwarven ship.

A few questions arose however:
If the Shadewraith is targeted by raking fire, or the first shot of the game by a ship, can it be hit on a 5+, or even 4+?
We played yes.
Is a ship cannot possibly move without running aground, and has lost both it's captain and first mate, is it screwed?
Again, we played yes.
Can the Sea Drake issue the same order twice?
We played no.
Can an order be issued twice by different ships if the first ship hasn't yet resolved theirs? On a related note, how long does an order (specifically Fire as she bears) remain in play if it is not triggered?
We played no and until triggered.

The terrain is rather spectacular IMO, more detail on those castles than most buildings at warhammer scale!
And the sea scape is very nice, we didn't have any issues with snagging.

Is it just me that finds the "Slowly Capsizing" card absolutely hull-arious? :shifty:

Timofeo
03-10-2011, 20:50
1: No only 6s are counted as hits regardless of mods, Otherwise why not get bonus for shooting close range as opposed to far. The way it reads to me clearly states only 6s
(hope that helps)

2: Can the First Mate be killed?? I havent found anything to say he can, however if he is the ship is in trouble, but it can still be useful as it can still fire. Also if the First Mate is alive a 6 is all you need to escape jeopardy due to 6 always being a pass.

3: No Sea Drake must do 2 Different Orders this is stated on the card it says you can issue 2 Different Orders.

Orders can be issued multiple times Except for Fire as she bears which can only be on 1 ship a turn, It stays on the Ship until it is resolved However if on the next turn activation you order a new Order it is removed this is clearly stated on page 38..

Hope I helped

Sturen
03-10-2011, 21:13
1. True, reading again it does seem that way! That is a difficult ship to sink :eek:

2. There is a special damage card that kills the first mate. I managed to get it twice...

3. and 4. Of course, need to give these rules another read!

Thanks for setting me on course!

:shifty:

I've got plenty more, or should that be "planky" more? :wtf:

Jind_Singh
03-10-2011, 21:16
Well just got my copy yesterday and was blown away by the models - they look ace in the pictures but when you have them in your hand.....oh my stars!

the playing mat - I can see what others meant on the forums - it is a nice print, it's crease proof, true, but it's VERY thin - like a silk scarf!!!

If I was to be bothered by the effort I'd get a nice thin plastic sheet which I would place over the top to allow:

1) Ease of use
2) Protection

In fact the more I think about it, the more inclined I am to making a trip to Home Depot to see how much a plastic sheet will set me back! I might get a 6 by 4 and then I can cover it with the green felt for a game of warhammer....

(ponders thoughts of finally making a gaming table for home....)

TheRaven
03-10-2011, 22:51
I kind of like how the luck factor works in this game. I think this is how random elements should work in all warhammer games. Basically there are alot of chances for lucky things to happen but the number of chances are enough that the law of large numbers will often keep it within normal statistical variation and no one factor will have such a significant impact on the game. But there is always that "Hope" that you can go on a really lucky string to snatch victory out of the jaws of defeat in an epic fasion.

You do do alot of random thingsin dreadfleet, draw fate cards, adjust the winds, roll for hits, saves, command checks and if you get lucky you might get a string of fortunate events that saves you from near doom but there is never one roll that screws you over. Even if you get a lucky broadside you then have to draw damage cards, which is then applied across a bunch of different areas like speed, hull, crew or other special things making it less likely that you'll ever hit ALL hull or ALL crew to get a 1 turn kill (Unless your the Seadrake of course that just chews up crew ;) ) and then there are repair orders that can be made and so forth.

All in all I think it's a really good system and I have yet to see, or even think of, a single "OMG I can't belive that happened" that single handedly decides the outcome of a game.

MaliGn
03-10-2011, 23:25
What has just struck me is that despite mentioning that one can design one's own scenarios to play the book offers very little by the way of guidance on how to actually go about doing so. With no points values to compare it is tricky to determine how to balance fleets prior to starting. While the first scenario does offer some potential variants it basically boils down to more ships or less terrain.

Some guidelines on how to actually go about designing scenarios without making them unfairand therefore not fun would have been good even if it was something like "Add Hull+Crew+Speed+Broadside-Handling-Command of Dreadfleet plus allied fortresses and compare to combined totals of the Alliance" I don't even know if that would work, but there really should have been something suggesting how to balance the games.

Zoolander
03-10-2011, 23:29
I really liked it. It's a fun game with good quality pieces. I'm glad I bought it. Having said that, I still like Man O' War better, and wish they had simply redone that game instead. A shame, for now I know they mostly likely never will.

Caine-HoA
04-10-2011, 13:51
Did you guys have the sails of the FLAMING SCIMITAR damaged? in both of my boxes tips od the sails were damaged because of they were reaching too far out of their frame.

Timofeo
04-10-2011, 15:09
No I had nothing broken on sprue, The only damages that ensued which were
(the Dragon axillary which wing tip broke off)
(Flaming Scimitar Mast snapped)

These issues were due to me on accident, but easily fixable.

On a side note I will post a Battle Report here if its ok with the Topic Creator.

Thanks

drear
04-10-2011, 15:28
i grabbed the game saturday, already have 3 painted ships. they went together very well, although the instructions could have been abit clearer and maybe bigger.

so far ive played 2 games. 1 using the shadewraith in a big participation game on release day . its an amazing support ship. i shimmied it around the board and aided a combat from the rear late in the game .

played a big game last night , 2 full fleets facing off. it was epic. granted two of my housemates lost interest half way ..but they dont play wargames at all so its a new thing to keep focuses for 3-4 hours.
wind can hurt you. my hammer and flaming scimitar went off the board edge because i couldnt turn in time D:

but the heldenhammers broadside is horrible! thats alot of shots!

Artiee
04-10-2011, 16:18
I did a big game as my learning game. It was fun. The Skabrus took SOOOOO much damage. I was laying boardside over and over with my Dwarf Ship.. He just needed 1 Hull or 1 crew damage. He keep drawing the specials. 1st mate dead, Mascott dead, Figurehead distroyed, magazine burning, ship on fire..
My Dwarf ship had Blood sharks following them. I was going to ram and board the Vamp ship. I ordered full speed ahead. Did my maneuver and releazed too late that my turn slammed me into a island. So the Blood sharks ate a hole in my hull.

UberBeast
04-10-2011, 16:27
Did you guys have the sails of the FLAMING SCIMITAR damaged? in both of my boxes tips od the sails were damaged because of they were reaching too far out of their frame.

I had the same problem. Those little dinglies on the edge of the sail were all bent. I bent them back and I'm hoping that if I'm just very careful they won't snap off.

Artiee
04-10-2011, 16:48
A couple of things that I could not find in the book..

- Wind. Do is always blow from the wind marker pointed to the center of the map? I only seen 3 pictures. 1 has the marker pointed off the map. The 2 others looked like the arrows as pointed to the center of the map.

- If the Vamp ship uses its special to control a sea monster, does he lose the rest of his ships turn. (movement, fire, etc)?

Jind_Singh
04-10-2011, 18:36
I just tried out a sample gunfight between the Empire Ship and the Dwarf Ship - what a game!

The scary thing is when one ship closes with another, line astern (side by side for you non-nautical people!) and then you're playing a deadly game of 'round and round the garden' - as soon as a ship gets a broadside into your front/rear it's NASTY! The plus 1 to hit on the broadside is HUGE - raking the enemy ship is a lot of fun, but for the enemy ship trying to escape the position is HARD - especially when you start taking damage (-5 to my speed!).

At one point the Empire ship was on fire, the magazines had ruptured, the keel was split, yet it just kept going! A lucky break came when they killed the lucky mascot, and as I had been content just firing broadsides for 3 turns the Dwarf player got cocky and closed in to short range for his broad sides. I repaired the broken keel and took another round of broadside which killed more crew and left me with 1 hull point - but then I issued hard to port and using the 45 degree movement I was able to close with the Dwarf Ship! I unleashed a final broadside at point blank and then sent my pirates on a boarding action - and was able to scuttle his ship!

A house rule I'm looking at is when a ship loses all it's crew - if a friendly vessel goes alongside they can donate a crew token (along with the 1st mate) and then take the ship - with the exception of the Dwarf Ship as most humans wouldn't know how to use it!

The special rule for the ship is lost as the Captain is dead, but at least the ship can sail, fire broadsides, and slowly repair itself (if they get lucky and roll a 6 for the 1st mates orders!).

Good game though - looking forward to learning more rules and trying out a proper full scale naval battle.

Side note - the Dwarf ship is TOUGH! The fact that it can repair TWO damage cards if it rolls well in the order phase is HUGE! The wee bugger sat there and absorbed crippling broadside after broadside, but it took it!
By the end the Empire ship was wrecked, hard! On fire, no mascot, lead gunner dead, crew dying, hull breached, magazines erupting, and yet amid the chaos of naval warfare the Dwarfs were running around fixing their ship, so by the time the pride of the Empire fleet went under the waves to it's watery grave, the Dwarf ship was fully repaired and good as new!!!

I like Dreadfleet - can't wait to try it out some more!

UberBeast
04-10-2011, 19:04

- Wind. Do is always blow from the wind marker pointed to the center of the map? I only seen 3 pictures. 1 has the marker pointed off the map. The 2 others looked like the arrows as pointed to the center of the map.

I've been having it blow toward the center of the map.

- If the Vamp ship uses its special to control a sea monster, does he lose the rest of his ships turn. (movement, fire, etc)?

Taking control of a sea monster takes the place of giving his ship a special order. He can still control his ship as normal in the movement and subsequent sub-phases. The sea monster essentially becomes an auxiliary and gets its own activation like any other auxiliary

ashc
04-10-2011, 20:06
The Black Kraken is awesome.

That is all.

Timofeo
04-10-2011, 23:10

Number 1: The Wind points towards the Center, But this isnt spoken in the rules. The Only thing that truly matters is if its in your Forward Arc or Rear Arc, and in that sense it can only be pointed in the center.

Number 2: He does not lose his turn he does both as any axillary would play.

MaliGn
05-10-2011, 00:16
However it does replace his ability to issue any other orders, so no full speed ahead etc.

Ben
05-10-2011, 00:22
So who else is thinking of converting some old Man O War ships to Dreadfleet?

Timofeo
05-10-2011, 03:36
Posted the Battle Report on Dakka Dakka, here
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/401907.page

I know the pics are somewhat blurry and I apologize, but here is hoping people still enjoy it.

UberBeast
05-10-2011, 03:54
Nice battle rep. I have't tried out either of the dwarf ships (because I haven't painted them yet!)

Jind_Singh
05-10-2011, 07:40
Damn the Golden Magus - traitor scum!!!!

Tarliyn
05-10-2011, 15:18
I want mine so bad. Stupid ups....

N810
05-10-2011, 16:30
Nope, I compared the Dragon Pole with my Pegasus Knight Pole, and the Dragon Pole seems much smaller. You could probably try to trim the flying base down with hobby knife and clipper though.

Damage, Fate, and Status Cards are 4.2 x 6.3 cm.
Warship and Order Cars are 8.1 x 12 cm.

I really don't know why they need all the decimals though.

Probaly because...
6.3 cm = 2.5 in
the origional specs where in inches. :p

Dark Aly
05-10-2011, 16:40
I have a quick question. I've read through the rulebook quite closely and can't find the answer.

After you have determined the position of the wind gauge, which direction should the arrow point or is it not important?

EDIT:- please ignore this post I've read the same question just a few posts above. Must read more :)

ImhotepMagi
05-10-2011, 18:02
I just got mine today...unhappy with the preorder process, but amazed with the product. Can't wait to get everything assembled and get playing!

Jind_Singh
05-10-2011, 18:05
Just don't get emotionally attached to the Flaming Scimitar, and it's Captain, the Golden Magus - because when you read the Dreadfleet Novel you'll be sad!

Spoiler Alert

He's actually a Tzeentch Chaos worshiper!! At then end of the novel you find out that he keeps Sgimar's Wrath in a bottle, along with a collection of other captured ships in bottles!!! Curse him!The Grand Alliance pretty much ends up getting sunk, ship by ship, in end battle, but Sigmar's Wrath makes it (barely). As the curse is lifted the clouds disappear and the sun shines down on the Oceans. But on an empty ocean....there is no sign of the Wrath. Then the next chapter cuts to the Golden Magus walking to his room of exotic collections, humming, and he places a bottle on the shelves which contains the Wrath - it was his scheming all along that got the Grand Alliance to enter the dreaded Graveyard in the 1st place! Oh foul trickster!

MarshalFaust
05-10-2011, 18:54
I'm impressed so far with the whole package. At first I was a little disappointed that the fleets were so hodge podge and didn't match but really each ship has a ton of character and are going to be way more fun to play and paint this way. I havnt played a game yet and won't until I get the whole thing painted up but the rules look fun and quick to learn but with enough depth to create some really interesting games. The best thing about this game is that it's self contained. I have several friends interested in playing the game with me but are not willing to invest in a whole new game system. Also the game is just begging for expansions with new fleets and scenarios. I'd love to see orc ships and chaos longboats, maybe even an ogre pirate ship and dark elf raiders.

Karak Norn Clansman
05-10-2011, 19:33
I just received the package. It's even better when holding it in your own hands. Hats off, GW!

Sturen
05-10-2011, 19:36
As I read it the wind arrow means nothing, what matters is where it is in relation to the ship, if it's in their aft or stern it effects them, so essentially it always blows straight toward the ship from it's position.

The models where surprisingly ingenious. In particular the skaven ship was tricky to get my head around. But once I did they went together nicely, very few moldlines and the occasional join gap. Possible without glue, but I'd recommend small dabs of glue to make construction much easier.

Impressed with the detail. Really impressed. Probably the best plastic kit I've ever seen for sheer detail. And the interior detail is jaw dropping, the picture do not do them justice.

Personally I can't wait to get started on the ghost ship, thinking of going with a creepy inner glow shining out onto the planks.

Karak Norn Clansman
05-10-2011, 20:06
@Jind_Singh: Now I like the Golden Magus even more. :D

jasdc1
05-10-2011, 23:25
Got my copy today. Can't wait to bust out the clippers later. On a downside, I'm assuming this release is more or less a bust seeing as the webstore still has copies for sale. If the main webstore has copies what does that say for the brick and mortar stores out there?

Goat of Yuggoth
05-10-2011, 23:43
The Golden Magus is what? Oh geez, that's cunning!

Thoughts.. Well, I'm pretty pissed at the deliveries backfiring again, if it doesn't show up tomorrow I'm going to contact someone and make things happen! I'll be sure to preorder from somewhere more reliable next time, than GW!

But it seems everyone is having a good time playing it. I mainly bought it for the models, but it's a huge bonus that it's fun as well :D

Cheers,
Goatey

Jind_Singh
06-10-2011, 00:34
OMG OMG OMG!!! So had a quick battle yesterday, were the dread fleet enters ship by ship to take on Sigmar's Wrath - SIGMAR WINS!

The ships take HUGE punishment - they all have their quirks and play excellent. They seem unstoppable at times, the movement is really elegant - and this is with a fixed wind direction.

At one point the Tomb King ship was reduced to ZERO speed, had 3 points of hull damage, and just 1 more body point left - yet it still managed to cling on to unlife and gave as good as it got - until the Hammer came down and did five points of damage.

Note to everyone - KEEP AWAY FROM THAT HAMMER!

Broadsides are deadly, especially if you can out move the enemy ship and rake them (shoot them from the rear or front) - I am pretty excited to dip into the other rules now to include Captain duels, terrain, and wind direction changes

Dark Aly
06-10-2011, 09:11
so far I've only played the first scenario. Watch out for rocks! As the ships pivot on the front corner the back swings out quite a lot (especially the bloody reaver) and as I wasn't paying attention it hit an island and ran aground. This gave the heldenhammer time to escape and repair all the damage, then ram the reaver with it's big hammer of death.

Roth performed very well in the duel with Noctilus, the re-rolls easily countered the counts high swashbuckling stat.

UberBeast
06-10-2011, 16:31
Every game I've payed so far "Sigmar's" Hammer" has anihilated "The Bloody Reaver". I wouldn't have thought that the re-rolls and the hammer were so much better than the ability to heal, and control sea monsters, but the sea monsters are so situational and Roth's ship can put out such huge amounts of damage that healing on a 4+ just isn't enough.

In my last game the Reaver did a boarding action with full crew in such a way as to bring it's broadsides to bear without getting hit by the hammer and had it's Cog on the Hammer's rear and it still got trashed thanks to those broadsides and swashbuckling re-rolls.

I haven't really tried out any of the other ships yet (still painting them).

Tarliyn
06-10-2011, 19:29
Mine finally came but I have to freaking work 930am-930pm today :( . You guys are all making me jealous lol

ashc
06-10-2011, 19:32
None of the ships are unbeatable, they all have very different strengths and weaknesses, which is really cool. Never let one get isolated and ganged up against!

Jind_Singh
06-10-2011, 21:56
True that - the ships can take punishment but alone they are soon outclassed - every ship can be set ablaze in mere moments and a bad draw of damage cards can mean that even the strongest ship will soon be nothing but a new coral reef at the bottom of the sea bed!

The best is move I saw was a 2 on 1 situation, Sigmar's Wrath vs the Wraith Ship and the Tomb King vessel - the enemy moved his ships away from each other, showing his flanks to my Sigmar ship - now I had an issue as no matter which ship I faced I'd end up being flanked by the other!

In this case I judged the Tomb King as the greater threat as he has better broadside/crew/and can set my ship ablaze so I went all out on him. I closed in and fired off a long range broadside, lucky shots saw 2 some minor damage.

The Dreadfleet carried on encircling my flanks, the Wraith ship got a broadside off in my rear arc - but only 1 damage! The Tomb King ship set me ablaze with 2 damage!

They expected me to repair damage on the ship but instead I went hard aport and moved the minimum distance to turn again - and ended up BEHIND the Tomb King vessel! A nasty close range broadside, which also got a +1 bonus to hit as I was hitting him in the rear saw MAJOR damage!

I blew out some of his cannons, reducing his broadside by one, did TWO double speed damages, and killed some crew!

Next turn I got lucky and won the roll off to go 1st, this time the fire onboard damaged me, but again I did hard to port and using my movement I was able to close in on to the Tomb King vessel! A lucky long range broadside saw me destroy 1 crew!

Meanwhile things went from bad to worse for the Tomb King as the mighty hammer swung down and did FIVE DAMAGE!!!

Watching with glee I was shocked when the jammy bugger kept getting special damage cards or speed! The ship was left with a speed of ONE!

The Dreadfleet stole the march on me next turn as the Tomb King repaired some damage - but the Boarding action took me by surprise as though heavily outnumbered they WON! Sadly the fierce fighting saw my magazines explode, D3 + 1 damage, and I got maximum damage!

To make things worse the cards also meant that I had lost my broadside for 1 turn, time to run!

Wraith ship went full speed ahead to catch up to me, raking fire saw more damage to the mighty warship!

Needing to end this I went all out - despite having a broken keel and a damaged wheel, I was still in combat with the Tomb King - using a repair order I undid the magazine damage, but as my lucky mascot was dead I was looking forward to the boarding - My crew swarmed over the Tomb King Ship and scuttled it!!!

But then next turn the Wraith ship stole the wind on me and moved first - getting behind me again and raking me again - damaged and badly listing to one side I issue a repair order and tried to limp away, but the practically undamaged ship outflanked me again and sent deadly raking fire to add another point of damage!

throwing caution to the wind I repaired my wheel and took another point of damage to bring her about, finally getting my broadside into play - and rolled 2 sixes to shoot! The wraith ship failed it's saves and took another crew damage, and a point of hull damage.

But sadly it wasn't enough - my last turn of the game saw me go 1st - another repair and another broadside - but this time my cannon balls failed to hit the ghost ship - going through the unsubstantial structure, the Wraith Ship on the other hand closed and unleashed a short range volley - both shots struck home and hit me blew the water line! I was sinking!

With a last cry of abandon ship my crew ran to save themselves as my Captain stood at the wheel, determined to go down with his ship.

A sad day for the pride of the Empire and Sartosa!

Major_Manny
07-10-2011, 11:58
so then guys, should i get this game? i already play Warhammer Trafalgar and enjoy that. So is this game worth picking up?

snottlebocket
07-10-2011, 13:40
so then guys, should i get this game? i already play Warhammer Trafalgar and enjoy that. So is this game worth picking up?

Depends on what you want from it. It's a fun game but not perfect. There's a substantial random element since a lot of effects and rules are handled by drawing a card from a stack. Some people won't like that.

It's not hugely deep in terms of strategy either. Move towards each other, try to broadside, ram or board the crap out of ships.

It is good looking though. Pretty fast to play and heinously over the top in terms of imagery. I'm happy with my copy.

Urgat
07-10-2011, 13:47
True that - the ships can take punishment but alone they are soon outclassed - every ship can be set ablaze in mere moments and a bad draw of damage cards can mean that even the strongest ship will soon be nothing but a new coral reef at the bottom of the sea bed!

To be quite honest, your example doesn't serve your argument, the Hammer almost sunk the two ships :p It does sound like it can take an epic amount of beating ;)

Anybody knows places where one could find ships the same size as the tiny tiny auxiliary ships? It feels like most addition fleet action rules written for Dreadfleet should be based mostly on those, somehow (they should use the same rules as the bigger ships in this case, though).

Grimstonefire
07-10-2011, 17:06
A quick question for you guys.

How easy is this for someone to pick up and play that has never played a tabletop battle game before? My sister said she'd give it a go you see and I don't want her getting really bored with overly complicated rules.

snottlebocket
07-10-2011, 17:59
A quick question for you guys.

How easy is this for someone to pick up and play that has never played a tabletop battle game before? My sister said she'd give it a go you see and I don't want her getting really bored with overly complicated rules.

The rules are simple enough and the scenario's are set up in a way that you only start with one ship each and they keep introducing one more until you grasp the whole game.

ashc
07-10-2011, 18:00
its quite rulesy but easy to pick up once you are in to the swing of the phases of the game, and the fate cards quickly spice that up and keep it interesting.

Karak Norn Clansman
07-10-2011, 18:41
I've not played yet, but the thin amount of rules pages in the rulebook convinced some sceptical friends of mine to give it a go later on. The campaign seem beginner-friendly. If it is as simple as I've read, I'll likely introduce my dad (not a hobbyist) to the game.

N810
07-10-2011, 18:47
The back page of the rule book has a nice one page summary.

Rogue
08-10-2011, 22:25
I haven't seen this answered just yet, but exactly how different is this from the old Man O' War game from Games Workshop?

Jind_Singh
08-10-2011, 23:57
Very different - the old man of war used a different way to mark damage, each ship was more generic, duels, etc, were not really in there - it was a great way to recreate actual navel battles.

Fleets were collected as either Man of Wars or Ships of the Line, or auxiliaries - the Dreadfleet/Grand Alliance vessels over-shadow even the most mighty Man of War class ships found in the old game.

The game is also more narrative driven.

Man of War also had more rules, so it was harder to pick up and play.

Dreadfleet also has a series of cards that in itself add another layer to the game, Man of War was more of a traditional table top game.

If people have the old Man of War ships it would be pretty easy to use them in dread Fleet - just make up stats for them - the only thing is Dreadfleet uses NO points value system - it's a narrative based campaign.

A lot of fun though!

snottlebocket
09-10-2011, 00:37
Has anyone tried playing mixed fleet games yet? (ie. just rolling of and then taking turns to select any ship in the game)

I'm wondering how balanced the game is when you do that. Some ships seem to be obvious counters to others. (skabrus > grimnir's wrath, scimitar > shade wraith) Still might be a way to get some more fun out of the game after the missions.

Jind_Singh
11-10-2011, 18:47
I did - I put some of the Alliance ships with some of the Dread fleet - works out good!
I also made the Tomb Kings join the Alliance

Algovil
11-10-2011, 22:34
Has anyone tried playing mixed fleet games yet? (ie. just rolling of and then taking turns to select any ship in the game)

I'm wondering how balanced the game is when you do that. Some ships seem to be obvious counters to others. (skabrus > grimnir's wrath, scimitar > shade wraith) Still might be a way to get some more fun out of the game after the missions.

Since many of the scenarios implement uneven fleets, I think it should work out well as long as we balance the scenario with special rules etc, like in the book.

I agree that skabrus is a counter to the dwarfen ship, but how do you find the scimitar is a counter to the shade wraith?

EDIT:

Well, this is with the exception of the two flag ships. They seem to be worth at least two other ships each, without playing the game yet, but with the hammer and the reaver in different fleets I can see choosing ships a great way of mixing things up.

Jind_Singh
11-10-2011, 23:22
I want to play a game with both flag ships vs everyone else! TAKE THAT you Blagards!

GodlessM
11-10-2011, 23:30
If the Shadewraith is targeted by raking fire, or the first shot of the game by a ship, can it be hit on a 5+, or even 4+?

Nope, it is only ever hit on a 6.

Is a ship cannot possibly move without running aground, and has lost both it's captain and first mate, is it screwed?

Yup, it's screwed. (To the poster that asked, there's a crew damage card that kills the First Mate).

Can the Sea Drake issue the same order twice?

No.

Can an order be issued twice by different ships if the first ship hasn't yet resolved theirs?

Nope.

On a related note, how long does an order (specifically Fire as she bears) remain in play if it is not triggered?

Remains in play until triggered or a full turn has passed.

Is it just me that finds the "Slowly Capsizing" card absolutely hull-arious? :shifty:

Only when it causes opponent's to intentionally run aground and the like to eat up the damage deck, or better yet, when it shows up as the last card in the deck.

lbecks
12-10-2011, 00:32
I've only put together the models so I can only comment on the models.
Heldenhammer: Very nice, tall, massive, nice detail on the side of the cathedral.
Swordfysh: Nice sails, good silhouette with the sails.
Seadrake Very narrow compared to the swordfysh. The dragons are both good additions.
Grimnir's Thunder: Good interior detail. Not as striking as the other alliance ships due to no sails.
Flaming Scimitar: My favorite ship. Very dynamic looking with the elementals in action poses.

Bloody Reaver: Feels like it should be much more massive and complex. Awkward placing of the sail right in the middle of the castle courtyard which obscures the interior detail.
Skabrus: Nice detail, flagpole gives it a decent silhouette since it has a very low profile.
Curse of Zandri: Should be bigger. But the detail is nice with each statue having a different head.
Black Kraken: Nice design.
Shadewraith: Very nice silhouette. The actual ship is too big in scale compared to the others. Should be smaller.

Islands: The islands with small castles or scenes are nice than I though they would be.

Geep
12-10-2011, 10:33
Originally Posted by Sturen
Nope, it is only ever hit on a 6.

Not true. Being closer does not give any modifier to hit- it changes the base 'to hit' value.The shadewraith is hit on a 6+, regardless of distance. Raking fire and the first broadside fired both give a '+1 to hit modifier', effectively adding 1 to your die roll in each case. This means a raking fire roll of 5 becomes a 6, hitting the shadewraith.
Manouvre is important even for flying ghost ships.

Binky
12-10-2011, 17:34
You'd have thought that with such a premium product they might have proofread the back of the box, "Nautical otherword", hmm... Think they may have been trying for "Nautical otherworld"!

Jind_Singh
12-10-2011, 18:10
Not true. Being closer does not give any modifier to hit- it changes the base 'to hit' value.The shadewraith is hit on a 6+, regardless of distance. Raking fire and the first broadside fired both give a '+1 to hit modifier', effectively adding 1 to your die roll in each case. This means a raking fire roll of 5 becomes a 6, hitting the shadewraith.

I don't personally play that for the Shadow Wraith - I just make it 6's regardless of modifiers - the 1st shot of the day represents finer gun powder, raking represents damage sustained when a cannon ball traverses the length of the ship, but the Shadow Wraith is incorporeal with that respect - so I just make it 6's all the way - it off sets the generally weaker status of the ship with it's average crew complement and weak broadside value of 2+, and it's poor 6+ armor value - so it makes sense to limit broadsides to 6+

snottlebocket
13-10-2011, 00:01
Since many of the scenarios implement uneven fleets, I think it should work out well as long as we balance the scenario with special rules etc, like in the book.

I agree that skabrus is a counter to the dwarfen ship, but how do you find the scimitar is a counter to the shade wraith?

You're right, counter is too strong a word. The shade wraith is just my preferred prey for the scimitar.

The scimitar is a bit on the fragile side so I don't really know what to do with it. It's fast enough to hunt down the shade wraith and the ifrit helps to make it's hits count against that damnable ethereal ship. In return the shade wraith isn't particularly good at range or during boarding so it isn't the biggest threat against the scimitar.

All in all I like to try and pair of the scimitar against the shade wraith to free up my tougher ships to gang up on the tougher ships in Noctilus' fleet.

someone2040
13-10-2011, 01:38
This is how I read the rules for the Shadewraith. Especially since it refers to being hit on a 6+ rather than only being hit on dice rolls of 6.
I think if the intent was to only ever have 6's hit it, it could've been worded better.
Overall, I think it's one for the FAQ.

UberBeast
13-10-2011, 03:16
My copy says: "Only the opponent's D6 scores of 6+ are counted as hits. All other d6 results are ignored"

I'd say it's pretty clear that this number isn't modified by first fire or raking. Only an unmodified 6 counts.

someone2040
13-10-2011, 06:06
Ok, but then why put 6+ at all when it could simply say 6. That implies you can score more than 6 on the D6 roll.

snottlebocket
13-10-2011, 06:29
Ok, but then why put 6+ at all when it could simply say 6. That implies you can score more than 6 on the D6 roll.

Because its the standard way for phrasing dice rolls. Sometimes you can make rolls with more than one dice (not dread fleet).

X+ is simply the accepted way of phrasing dice rolls.

Geep
13-10-2011, 08:41
It's not the '6+' that gets modified by Raking Fire or the first shot of the game- it's the die roll itself. These things give a +1 to hit bonus- so a roll of 5 IS a 6, and so hits. To me this seems very clear.

If you're of Jind_Singh's opinion and prefer to make it 'only rolls of a natural 6 hit', that's fair enough, but that is your houserule rather than actual rules.

Edit: The '6+' is important as you can roll a 7 (or even 8) to hit- as mentioned above, the first fire of a ship and Raking Fire both add +1 to your die score, allowing you to roll above a 6. Hence, '6+' is needed to prevent pesky gits claiming that '7' doesn't hit.

Jind_Singh
13-10-2011, 09:02
Geep that makes no sense - there is no such thing as 7+ in this game...

If something needs a 6+ to hit....and has a +1 modifier to hit, the roll needed to hit is 5+. If it has +2 to hit it becomes 4+...

To me the only thing that seems clear is that you've been playing the dice bonus wrong for table top wargames!!!

+1 to hit bonus

6+ = 5+
5+ = 4+
4+ = 3+
3+ = 2+

No such thing as a 1+, most GW games have 1's as automatic fails (with exception of War of the Rings I think).

-1 to hit modifier...

6+ becomes 7+ - which is normally a 6+ followed by a 4+ as you can't roll a 7 on a six sided die!
5+ = 6+
4+ = 5+
3+ = 4+
2+ = 3+

Rules as written (RAW)

You MIGHT argue the Shadewraith is not immune to bonus to hit modifiers if the enemy ship rakes it or it's the first target hit in the game - meaning you can potentially hit the Shadewraith on a 2+ if you rake it at short range, 1st shot of the game.

Rules as intended (RAI) (But also RAW)

It's a fricking Ghost ship - called the Shadow Wraith - and it's ship card says it can only be hit on a 6+

"Half-Real: If the Shadewraith is the TARGET of an ENEMY BROADSIDE, ONLY the opponents D6 rolls of 6+ are counted as hits. ALL OTHER D6 results are ignored."

Black & White folks - if you target the Shadewraith with a broadside ONLY D6 rolls of 6+ will affect the Shadewraith - close range, raking, 1st shot of the day - you can go whistle all you want!

RAKING and 1st shot of the day confer a bonus to hit - AS DOES SHORT RANGE - so in that case ALL modifiers will be applicable if you listen to the Muppets above.

GW won't FAQ that hopefully as it'll mean there are people out there with some common sense - and if you think that's heaty....

I'm so tired of seeing people try to swing every bloody rule to confer some unfair advantage!

And besides - here is something that trumps the main rules - the ship card itself!

Just as ARMY BOOK trumps Rule Book, so does Ship card trump rule book.

Thanks for listening to the rant folks - but honestly don't go there!

Jind_Singh
13-10-2011, 09:03
My copy says: "Only the opponent's D6 scores of 6+ are counted as hits. All other d6 results are ignored"

I'd say it's pretty clear that this number isn't modified by first fire or raking. Only an unmodified 6 counts.

Praise be to common sense!

Deff Mekz
13-10-2011, 09:04
The GW blog disagrees with you (scroll down). :( I would prefer it if it was only hit on pure sixes to be honest.

Link; http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=18500010a

Deff

Geep
13-10-2011, 09:28
@Jing_singh
A +1 modifier to hit is, in this case, a +1 modifier to your die roll. For the most part +1 to the die roll and -1 to the required target score (which is what you interpret it as) mean the same thing, but not in this case.

You have a '+1 modifier to hit', not a '-1 modifier to target score required' (or some such phrasing). Therefore a roll of 1 becomes 2, 2 becomes 3, and so on.

RAKING and 1st shot of the day confer a bonus to hit - AS DOES SHORT RANGE - so in that case ALL modifiers will be applicable if you listen to the Muppets above
Short range DOES NOT give a modifier to hit. It changes your target die score. The target die score to hit the Shadewraith is ALWAYS 6+, countering the bonus of a close up shot.

If something needs a 6+ to hit....and has a +1 modifier to hit, the roll needed to hit is 5+.
So... you agree with me

if you target the Shadewraith with a broadside ONLY D6 rolls of 6+ will affect the Shadewraith
And disagree with me in the same post?

In short:

Range gives a set 'target score required', which is countered by the Shadewraith's rules so that it is always hit on a 6+.

Raking Fire and the first shot of the game give a +1 to hit modifier for the die roll- they do not modify your target score (and so are not countered by the Shadewraith's rules).

You can, in effect, roll above a 6 due to these '+1 to hit' modifiers- making the specification that the Shadewraith is hit on a '6+' rather than just '6' important.

To me the only thing that seems clear is that you've been playing the dice bonus wrong for table top wargames!!!
You're making the assumption that because one game plays one way (which BTW it doesn't), all games from the same company automatically follow this rule, despite it not being stated (anywhere... as this is not an actual rule).

Edit: For those who prefer the 'only hit on 6's' idea- house rule it. Dreadfleet is not a competitive game, and this muppet won't be over to beat down your door :p

Edit 2:

Just to complete my slide into pointless forum arguments, I may as well point this out on page 16 of the rulebook (3rd column, 3rd paragraph):

"A +1 modifier means that you add one to the score of the dice: a 2 becomes a 3, a 5 becomes a 6, etc. Conversely, a -1 modifier means you subtract one from the dice result."

So the +1 modifier to hit is just that: a +1 modifier to the die roll.

Urgat
13-10-2011, 10:25
Praise be to common sense!

Ah, I'm sorry, Jind, but I disagree with you: it's the score that counts, not what actually shows on the dice. If you roll a 5 with a +1, your score is 6. Common sense therefore indicates that the +1 works and in this case, the wraith can be hit with a natural 5+1. I don't think that, in any case, one round of shooting changes that much anyway. Just make sure the wraith isn't the one to take it if you're so worried about it.

Jind_Singh
13-10-2011, 15:55
The GW blog disagrees with you (scroll down). :( I would prefer it if it was only hit on pure sixes to be honest.

Link; http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=18500010a

Deff

Wouldn't be the 1st time they cock it up - remember when Ogre Kingdoms got released? The AUTHOR of the actual army book deployed a Firebelly in a unit of Golfags maneaters...even though he had written the rule presumably that does not allow any character to deploy in his unit!

OK - if you're all of the same mind I will happily change mine over to that method too - still doesn't make sense why it should be that way but I'll play with the general mind set.

I am not saying you are wrong peeps, I am saying this was badly written - they should have not allowed any mods to hit the Ghost ship is all I am saying - it's a ghost ship!

Sorry for the previous rant!

Geep
13-10-2011, 16:07
Fair enough- I do agree that it makes no sense that fresh powder makes giving a to hit bonus. Raking fire you could maybe argue it has more chance to hit something less ethereal? And somehow the ghost ship can catch on fire as well...

On the plus side, I like that it encourages you to be careful with manouvering.

And 'spot the error' in white dwarf and GW page reports has almost become a game now...

UberBeast
13-10-2011, 16:24
Well, the website seems to make a clear statement, but I don't like that is doesn't fit with the way the rule is actually written. Also when reading the examples in the rulebook on page 33, the +1 to hit for firstfire and broadside are applied to the base modifier (Long range hits on 6+, with first fire and raking on a 4+)

The rules and the examples in the book imply that you add the modifier to the target number, not to the die roll. This could just be sloppy writing, but then again unless you read the obscure article on the website (most gamers probably won't) then everything in the rulebook implies that only natural 6's hit the shadewraith and that raking and firstfire don't apply because according to the examples they simply modify the target number and not the actual die roll itself.

Jind_Singh
13-10-2011, 16:27
I'm more with Uberbeast on this one - I don't pay attention to the website articles most of the time and go with the book - unless it's like a FAQ or something - either way this won't detract from the game at all - still a great game to play!

jasdc1
16-10-2011, 03:56
And the game is still available through GW. Must be a bust. Still, I bought mine and then seen 3 copies in the nearest store 45 minutes away.

Demoulius
16-10-2011, 04:26
Played my first 2 games of this with a buddy who bought it. Great fun :) Very much like BFG (though I like the latter more :shifty: )

Im sure we got some rules wrong but eh. Who cares :) Really entertaining game. First turn I blew up the dwarven ship with a fate card (boarding action, that basicly exploded his gunroom, causing 3 crew damage :evilgrin: ) one of my own boats (the tomb king) sailed off the table and the skaven....thingy was impaled by the swordsfish, only to sink when it boarded the bloody reaver and got its last bit of damage :cool: )

great great fun!

Jind_Singh
16-10-2011, 08:28
"And the game is still available through GW. Must be a bust"

WHY ON EARTH are people crying bust over this game? Peeps - DO NOT FORGET it took us a few months to clear out Space Hulk from our store when it came out (During my three month stint as a GW red shirt), so how is this any different???

The game is a bust?

Is it?

Well I bought one and here are my thoughts:

1) Beautiful box/rule book art
2) EXCELLENT playing pieces, including really funky looking terrain
3) Sexy sea scape mat
4) Fun rules that make it a 100% different game to my Warhammer/40k/War of the Rings
5) Self contained game - no worries about expanding it anytime soon

As far as I am concerned this is about as far from a bust as a bust can be!

And that is 'bust' as in lame, waste of time kind of bust....

Not Pamela Anderson during Baywatch running down a beach kind of bust that made me forget how to breathe kind of bust!

(For the record Dreadfleet is close to a Pammy Anderson kind of bust as opposed to lame this is boring kind of bust!)

azhagmorglum
16-10-2011, 08:56
Played only scenario 1, was very pleased with the game overall. I think it opens a lot of opportunities and different situations

grimkeeper
16-10-2011, 09:10
Its a great game however ive noticed people still whineingabout it not beeing Man o War
so as i posted in the other Thread.
Dont understand this attitude :confused: ,if you want to play fleet action with your friends,there are plenty of Dreadfleet ships on ebay going around the 7.00 5x will probably set you back 50.00 :eek: its what weve done :cool: . Choose a couple of ship cards A Little ImaginatioN and set Sail. You Only Limit Yourself In the Warhammer World :angel:.

azhagmorglum
16-10-2011, 09:19
I am not saying you are wrong peeps, I am saying this was badly written - they should have not allowed any mods to hit the Ghost ship is all I am saying - it's a ghost ship!

Sorry for the previous rant!

Well, when it comes to GW's rules creation, you shouldn't take fluff for granted.

I'm for the +1 modifier enabling to hit the shadewraith on a roll of 5+. You can see it like this :

The shadewraith special rule (being a ghost ship) could mean that she is sometimes real and tangible, and sometimes ethereal, switching randomly between those two states, and even sometimes having the two states at the same time. Hence her special rules of 6+ roll needed to hit her.

Then you have the first shot rule and the +1 to the die special rule, which comes from the fact that the guns and cannons are loaded with the finest powder and stuff (can't remember exactly what's said in the rulebook). Anyway, this particular shot is then more important and efficient

If you mix the two sentences in bold, you can say that the first shot is more likely to hit the shadewraith than the subsequent ones, hence the modifier works. You can say the same for raking fire (since it crosses the ship from one end to the other, it has more chance to hit something tangible)

Well, that's my explanation.

Urgat
16-10-2011, 10:01
And the game is still available through GW. Must be a bust. Still, I bought mine and then seen 3 copies in the nearest store 45 minutes away.

If the point was to break some speed record, yeah, maybe?

EmperorNorton
16-10-2011, 10:51
"And the game is still available through GW. Must be a bust"

WHY ON EARTH are people crying bust over this game? Peeps - DO NOT FORGET it took us a few months to clear out Space Hulk from our store when it came out (During my three month stint as a GW red shirt), so how is this any different???
It's different because Space Hulk, while produced in greater numbers, sold out from the website before the release date. It may have been available in stores in some areas for some time after that, but that's impossible to retrace globally. The speed it sold out with online is a good indicator of how popular it was, considering that the largest contingent was sold through this channel. It says a lot more than how long you still had a copy in your local store.
Dreadfleet doesn't appear to come even close to the popularity of Space Hulk and that is despite a fair number of people who probably bought a bunch of boxes in anticipation of it being as popular and quick-selling to later flock them on ebay.

The game is a bust?

Is it?

Well I bought one and here are my thoughts:

1) Beautiful box/rule book art
2) EXCELLENT playing pieces, including really funky looking terrain
3) Sexy sea scape mat
4) Fun rules that make it a 100% different game to my Warhammer/40k/War of the Rings
5) Self contained game - no worries about expanding it anytime soon

As far as I am concerned this is about as far from a bust as a bust can be!
This comes down to personal taste and it seems a lot of people disagree with you (shown by the fact that they have not bought this game).
Personally I only agree with your point about the mat.

Urgat
16-10-2011, 11:02
This comes down to personal taste and it seems a lot of people disagree with you (shown by the fact that they have not bought this game).

This comes down to personal taste and it seems a lot of people agree with him (shown by the fact that they have bought this game).

Say, how do you decide it's a bust? Because they haven't sold 100% of the boxes within a month? Huh?
It'll be a bust if GW hasn't made a profit out of DF in the end (whenever "the end" is). Any other consideration is just petty hating, Don Quixote.

EmperorNorton
16-10-2011, 11:25
This comes down to personal taste and it seems a lot of people agree with him (shown by the fact that they have bought this game).

Say, how do you decide it's a bust? Because they haven't sold 100% of the boxes within a month? Huh?
It'll be a bust if GW hasn't made a profit out of DF in the end (whenever "the end" is). Any other consideration is just petty hating, Don Quixote.

You may think Don Quixote is but a fool fighting windmills, when in fact he is quite wise in his fight for idealism.

Literary criticism aside, GW will make a profit as this game will sell out eventually. I have no doubt about that.
I have also little doubt that they expected it to sell out a lot sooner than it will.
And this consideration is not meaningless. After all they are not only about making money, but about making as much money as fast as they can.
The specialist games are usually cited as an example for that. There are half a dozen companies that make alternative miniatures for Blood Bowl, so that market has to be profitable. Yet GW do not bother supporting their own game in kind, because although there obviously is money in it, there isn't enough money in it for them. The return is greater for them when investing in a different project. The same holds true for Dreadfleet, which costs them money to have it sit in the warehouse and on the shelves for longer than expected.

Fear Ghoul
16-10-2011, 14:27
You may think Don Quixote is but a fool fighting windmills, when in fact he is quite wise in his fight for idealism.

Literary criticism aside, GW will make a profit as this game will sell out eventually. I have no doubt about that.
I have also little doubt that they expected it to sell out a lot sooner than it will.
And this consideration is not meaningless. After all they are not only about making money, but about making as much money as fast as they can.
The specialist games are usually cited as an example for that. There are half a dozen companies that make alternative miniatures for Blood Bowl, so that market has to be profitable. Yet GW do not bother supporting their own game in kind, because although there obviously is money in it, there isn't enough money in it for them. The return is greater for them when investing in a different project. The same holds true for Dreadfleet, which costs them money to have it sit in the warehouse and on the shelves for longer than expected.

All fair points, however that is not the definition of a bust. To be honest, your bias against this game was obvious fairly early on, and you are only propagating that impression through these kind of comments. You have no idea what GW's expectations for this game are. They may have actually expected a longer availability time for this game because it is not, and never will be, as popular as Space Hulk. We should leave pointless supposition aide. What we do know is this:

1. Some shops have sold many of their copies whilst others are stuggling.
2. The game was well recieved by some and not so by others for a variety of reasons ranging from price to model aesthetics.
3. Even many of the detractors want the game to succeed so that GW will consider doing more boxed games in the future.

EmperorNorton
16-10-2011, 14:53
All fair points, however that is not the definition of a bust. To be honest, your bias against this game was obvious fairly early on, and you are only propagating that impression through these kind of comments. You have no idea what GW's expectations for this game are. They may have actually expected a longer availability time for this game because it is not, and never will be, as popular as Space Hulk. We should leave pointless supposition aide.
Sorry, but I'm confused.
Am I making fair points or am I biased? Can't be both, surely.

Of course I don't know what GW's expectations for this game are, as I am not part of their higher management.
Is it possible that their expectations for this game are contrary to their business strategy of at least the last decade and to their aggressive marketing? I guess so.
Is it likely, though?

I'm not sure that I'm the one here showing bias...

Urgat
16-10-2011, 19:32

Oh, no, I just wanted to sound witty, and usually when I try, I fa(i)ll flat :p Seriously, my comment comes from the fact you're posting against DF in a topic where people like DF, and you won't convince them otherwise. Hence the windmills. They (We) don't need nor want to be convinced otherwise.

Whitwort Stormbringer
16-10-2011, 20:07
Hey folks I skimmed through this thread but didn't find much on modelling/painting thoughts.

I have my set and have been sitting on it, trying to figure out the best way to tackle the models. It seems like, once assembled, there will be many hard-to-reach spots (both with a brush and spray primer), so I was considering either priming and painting the 10 big ships on the sprue or at least holding off on certain assembly parts. I've never taken that approach before, but it seems like a sound strategy. Just wanted to get the opinions of other people who have maybe already built and painted a set.

Thanks!

Urgat
16-10-2011, 20:38
The current WD has a very satisfactory walk through for each ship, I recommend you buy it, it's an overall good release.

Whitwort Stormbringer
16-10-2011, 21:16
Yeah I was trying to avoid getting the White Dwarf. I'm not up to speed with Warhammer or 40K so it would basically be $9 for a Dreadfleet modelling guide, which is a tad pricey for me. I may end up getting it, if it's really going to be that helpful, but mostly I just wanted to know if people have any definite do's or don't's.

Urgat
16-10-2011, 22:23
That issue is pretty much all DF really.

Fear Ghoul
17-10-2011, 00:01
Sorry, but I'm confused.
Am I making fair points or am I biased? Can't be both, surely.

Of course I don't know what GW's expectations for this game are, as I am not part of their higher management.
Is it possible that their expectations for this game are contrary to their business strategy of at least the last decade and to their aggressive marketing? I guess so.
Is it likely, though?

I'm not sure that I'm the one here showing bias...

The general point you were making was valid, but your conclusion that Dreadfleet had been a flop was unsubstantiated, and driven by an observed bias from the day it was announced. After all this is not the first time you have suggested that Dreadfleet has flopped is it? I remember a discussion thread in GW General scant days after release day in which you voiced similar opinions. The only reason anyone rushes towards such rash conclusions based on anecdotal evidence is because they have already made their mind up.

Belakor
17-10-2011, 07:03
@ Fear Ghoul - Amen!

Getting the WD was crucial for me, that is unless they release the articles on their website, because while I consider myself a skilled painted, those sea bases looks intimidating. The WD helped me with that and luckily, the whole mag was almost all about Dreadfleet.

ExquisiteMonkey
17-10-2011, 07:11
I managed to get a few games in on Friday night, played through the first two scenarios and a third match where we each picked 3 ships from one fleet and went at it.
Overall, thoroughly enjoyable.
First match was getting used to the mechanics and what not, i played the DreadFleet and my brother played the Rag-Tag Pirates.
Initiative and wind played a massive roll, in that in the second turn, the Heldenhammer stole initiative and had the wind in the aft with a strength of 6, so managed to catch the Bloody Reaver in the flank and hammered away with gusto. I copped a beating but a couple of broadsides and boarding actions later managed to inflict a total of 8 damage cards and won through.

The second match was good fun, but my brother made some poor movement descisions early on with the Heldenhammer which left the Swordfysh to fend off pretty much both my shps (Bloody Reaver and Curse of Zandri) and a couple of broadsides from the citadel in the middle. Needless to say, I won without too much trouble.

The third match, seemed too fiddly to start up at 10:30, so we picked our ships and played to destruction of two of the 3 ships. This played out to be pretty epic. I chose the Kraken and Skabarus in addition to the Bloody Reaver, he chose the Pride of Ulthuan and Flaming Scimitar in addition to the Heldenhammer.
A bad move on his part almost cost him the PoU to my Kraken, but a lucky escape from jeapordy and initiave roll the next turn got it swiftly away, and launched a Dragon, which harrased my Skabarus later preventing it from rescuing the BR.
The FS played almost no part, except right at the end where it finally managed to support the HH against the BR, yet it almost managed to get destroyed thanks to some bad fate cards and rolling, which we both thought was pretty funny.
The big matchup, was again the HH caught the BR in the flank with a boarding action, which was my fault due to a bad desicion to stop and deploy an assassin cog. Nonetheless, this went on for 3 turns (that's 6 seperate action phases) with both ships taking a beating. I couldn't escape jeapordy due to having modified command, which ultimately ended up costing me the captain. The HH was taking broadsides, boarding actions and duels in its stride, while the BR copped hammer blow after hammer blow.
Both ships took massive damage, but in the end, the BR lost. I was down to 4 speed remaining, 2 crew, 1 hull, i had a set ablaze card, a collapsed gun deck, I was listing, the keel was broken and I had no captain. Then the FS swooped in from behind and raked my aft with a broadside taking the final hull point, winning the game (the Kraken having been destroyed earlier by an epic broadside from the HH).

I really enjoyed the fact that we were able to get in three games in one night.