PDA

View Full Version : What Lore do your WOC use most?

Rosstifer
26-09-2011, 06:44
Just wondering what the environments like now, couple of years ago it would have definitely been Tzeentch, but now I've seen Death, Shadow and even Heavens used in abundance, opening up all sorts of new tactics (Mindrazor!!!11?!) for the coolest army in Warhammer (:p)

I have recently used Slaanesh alot for club games, it's a neat little lore, but for Balls Out competitiveness I've been converted by the tricksy Lore of Shadow, it's just so damn good, cliche, but good. Debuffing the few units in the game that cause Chaos Warriors trouble is just gold, Pit of Shades kills gribblies with ease and brutalizes armies like Orcs and Goblins, Mindrazor is self explanatory, although not as much of crutch as it is for Dark Elves as we wound lots of things on 2's anyway.

What do you chaps use on your Sorcerer Lords or Daemon Princes?

And too non Warrior players (Boo, Hiss!) what Lore worries you the most when a Warriors player says "I have the Lore of....?"

Harwammer
26-09-2011, 09:30
You're kind of asking two different questions; the scariest lore and the most used lore.

Personally I voted Tzeentch, but this is as much due to the Mark as it is the Lore.

I've used all the lores except fire (and possibly heavens in 8th ed). I've also used a Tzeentch Chaos Lord with wizarding hat, cojoined homonculous and Third eye (only once and I was lucky enough to roll time warp as one of my spells :D).

I think I've fought against woc using Death (using Empire) Tzeentch (vc and empire) and Nurgle (empire). The most effective was death against my empire... Curse you soulblight! The only game against WoC I've scored the big win against was 1500 points empire me vs nurgle op. I tabled him, he killed a lvl 2, 20 flagellants and half a unit of militia.

Rosstifer
26-09-2011, 09:42
Yeah probably should have tacked on "And what lore do non WOC players dislike facing the most" but that would be heading towards a bit of a mouthful :D

tmarichards
26-09-2011, 09:44
From what I've played against, Heavens is one of the best lores for supporting Warriors. Very under-used though.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
26-09-2011, 09:55
I typically use Shadow when I'm running a Lvl 4. Brilliant Lore, you can hex the enemy to the point they're practically useless, buff yourself to ridiculous strength or simply chuck your enemy into a large pit. It's all good ;)

vcassano
26-09-2011, 10:46
From what I've played against, Heavens is one of the best lores for supporting Warriors. Very under-used though.

Heavens is the best by far, supplements the army's lack of long range output and re-rolls. By contrast, Tzeentch is the most overrated.

Leogun_91
26-09-2011, 11:14
In the rare occurrences when my Tzeentch army uses a wizard (tries to prove that theres more to Tzeentch than spells) they use their own lore.

abdulaapocolyps
26-09-2011, 12:08
I almost always use Tzeench, but its more fluff than anything. I like fire with my lads,but then I face elves a lot and low level fire mages are brutal vs them.

Razakel
26-09-2011, 12:20
Nurgle, we only have two players in our circle who play WoC and one is Nurgle, the other is Khorne.

Spyral
26-09-2011, 13:42
None, khorne relies only on his AXE!

muppet515
26-09-2011, 14:00
I've played around with a few others but Death is what I fall back to, I'm either sniping my opponents BSB or Lvl 4 or dropping units Ld by 3 ready for my Hellcannon.
If I'm playing against Orcs, Lizardmen, Ogres or Dwarves they're usually so worried about Purple Sun that I can sneak the spelss I really want through.
2nd Choice at the moment is Fire though, loving Flame Cage to take the biggest threat out of the game while I deal with the rest of the army and Flaming Sword on Halberd Warriors for auto wound is worth it just for the look on your opponents face when you show them the FAQ :D

papabearshane
26-09-2011, 14:04
Fire as 2 LvL 1s Casting Fire Ball is an awsome sight to behold!!!!

Harwammer
26-09-2011, 14:51
Flaming Sword on Halberd Warriors for auto wound is worth it just for the look on your opponents face when you show them the FAQ :D
It's hard to understand the number of people who forget:
1) the difference between a dice roll and a natural roll
2) Basic arithmatic (1+1=2)
When your warriors need 2+ to wound then have flaming sword cast on them :p

popisdead
27-09-2011, 22:45
I voted Slaanesh because it has good things to compliment a Monsterous Horde.

Otherwise I would use Nurgle.

If I didn't want theme I would play Fire/Shadow for Miasma and Flaming Sword of Rhuin.

The Lurkin Gherkin
27-09-2011, 23:41
Tzeentch. C'mon infernal gatewayyyyyy babyyyy!

So deliciously random, for a top level spell its not that great, but the potential it has is where its at!

badguyshaveallthefun
28-09-2011, 01:13
Tzeentch. But that's only because the Mark forces me to, I love my 3+ Wardsaves. :)

If I had a choice as to my favorite, it would probably be either fire or death, for the ranged/sniping capability it gives me and my lvl 2's cannot take Heavens or Shadow. :(

Enigmatik1
28-09-2011, 01:47
Every WoC list I write features a LoSlaanesh caster. It may not be OMGLEETBBQ, but it's so much fun to use and I've never heard anyone cry cheese.

10_minute_pie
28-09-2011, 02:07
Tzeench. With the exception of pandamonium, and the occasional super funny casting of "Your unit attacks itself" on a huge horde with Great Weapons, I find the lore super boring (i HATE Gateway, a single spell having a random chance of winning you the game in one roll is just silly. I'd prefer if it was like the Storm of magic spell were 11+ auto wounded instead), but I have a super cool winged wizard lord "riding a disk" that I spent 30+ hours converting over 2 years, so I'm defo gonna keep using it.

Gabacho Mk.II
28-09-2011, 04:42
None, khorne relies only on his AXE!

Pure Gold! :skull:

Liber
28-09-2011, 05:56
WHOAH

how are the results this unbalanced?

i got a buddy who plays WoC, he used Tzeentch just about as often as Slaanesh or Nurgle (actually he uses fire often as well) are you guys all just HUGE fans of Tzeentchian fluff and ideaology or is there something that warrants it being almost 10 times as popular as any other lore that i am ignorant of?

more people posting on why they are voting would be nice, when i clicked this thread i expected it to be a pretty even spread, with the exception of heavens (which i think is a perfectly good lore) which i know has a bad rep amongst lots of players.

Rosstifer
28-09-2011, 06:05
Apparantly Gateway FTW is still a popular tactic. I did it for ages in 7th and the start of 8th, in fairness, so I can't talk!

vcassano
28-09-2011, 07:59
Tzeentch is easily the most commonly seen, the poll is no surprise. I'm not quite sure why that is the case - maybe it is easier/less situational to use? Certainly no lore has the synergy that Heavens offers. Nurgle also, is pretty nifty with its low-casting values.

Harwammer
28-09-2011, 08:00
WHOAH

how are the results this unbalanced?
The poll is which lore you use most.

If half the WoC players use Tz in 7 games and the other lores in 6 games each then the tz lore would only have a slight lead over the others (7/43 compared to 6/43) but still present this result. Essentially the question this poll asks could make Tz appear to be used a lot more than It is.

Leth Shyish'phak
28-09-2011, 11:48
is there something that warrants it being almost 10 times as popular as any other lore that i am ignorant of?

The lore itself is ok, what makes it so popular is that it comes with +1 to cast and +1 to your ward save. And lets you fly.

And even if you want all of those benefits but hate the spells, you can just use your opponents spells anyway.

martijn
28-09-2011, 18:03
Harwammer +1. thats a good one.

I have used heavens with nice resuslts. Nice lore. though I do think it loses when compared with shadow and tzeetch.

Trustey
28-09-2011, 19:14
I like a Nurgle Sorc and a book of secrets for shadow. The nerf spells are really cool combined with WoC statlines, and signature spell in either case is nothing to complain about and easy to cast. I like the idea of running the magic phase with a +5 or 6 to cast but the sorc on that ridiculous flying flaming mushroom head is just stupid looking and not fluffy IMO. How often does gateway really hit anyway? Its got to be like 10% or something. I think it's reputation would make it a better ruse to get the enemy to throw all his dispel dice than anything else.

Djekar
29-09-2011, 19:32
I actually haven't settled on a lore yet - I keep trying different lores to keep my opponents on their toes. So far I like Fire and Death best, but I haven't had a really good test of Heavens. Had some good times with Shadow + Nurgle (with Festus) and unit removing phases, but that got old quickly.

Also, +1 to what Leth said - that's pretty much how I view the Tzeentch Lore. It's the price you pay for +1 to cast, +1 to ward save and access to flying.

martijn
29-09-2011, 21:09
gateway always hits :P, but the chance you'll roll the much disered strenght 11 or 12 is 0.083333333, so 8,33%. You ofcourse have to be lucky. but when you count on the average 7 strenght 7. its a nice spell if you ask me.