PDA

View Full Version : Empire Rumour Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Darnok
26-09-2011, 13:24
It seems that even though winter is fast approaching, birds are still singing:

So i understand empire will get 4 kits. Knights obviously. 2 character ones (cant properly remember which ones but if you notice the priest of morr rules i would guess WP's will get a kit). And a new war atlar. The Altar kit will be a dual kit. The second option will be a Nuln seige cannon. Massive cannon used to defend the walls of nuln.

I can't comment on how solid these are. But it's not the first - and probably not the last - I've heard over the last few weeks. It seems to me like the Empire is not too far away, meaning somewhere in the next six months.

Something more: the knight mentioned are supposedly not replacements of the current knights, but demi-gryph knights. See Warhammer Forge (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer/THE-EMPIRE/THEODORE-BRUCKNER-AND-REAPER.html) for reference.

Something more from 75hastings69, thanks too:

Empire are not getting updates of current knights, there are different cav coming though. The old crappy horses/knights remain. War altar makes something else, but afaik it's not a cannon of any kind.

And another birdy sings:

Plastic War alter kit which only makes a war altar, but a war altar that can be either of Morr, Sigmar or Ulric.

New Monstrous Cavalry, possibly Demigriffons, which comes with separate saddles and harnesses, so they can also be used as bound monsters in SOM without conversion.

Yamabushi
26-09-2011, 13:28
Woohooo!

Thanks Darnok for the rumors!

Just when Settra has bled me dry, dear old Karl sends his tax collectors...Winter is coming way too soon.

Urgat
26-09-2011, 13:47
It seems that even though winter is fast approaching, birds are still singing:

A canon heh? What kind of artillery did the Empire need that it didn't already have? :/

eldargal
26-09-2011, 13:52
I heard more Knightly Orders, not just one box of generic knights, plus warrior priests halflings and some characters, including a female. Never heard anything about a war altar/cannon kit, I heard a vague whisper of a war altar/war wagon kit.

Darnok
26-09-2011, 13:52
A canon heh? What kind of artillery did the Empire need that it didn't already have? :/

A proper "great" cannon? With the OK Ironblaster I guess many Empire players get jealous. ;)

75hastings69
26-09-2011, 13:55
Empire are not getting updates of current knights, there are different cav coming though. The old crappy horses/knights remain. War altar makes something else, but afaik it's not a cannon of any kind.

eldargal
26-09-2011, 13:55
Good point, the Empire Great Cannon is embaressingly small even compared to its metal predecessor.

Jedi152
26-09-2011, 13:59
Given the new OK Ironblaster model, it's not difficult to guess the size or look of a siege cannon... ;)

I say the same every Empire release though; no new knights means no Empire army for me.

eldargal
26-09-2011, 14:00
I must be the only person who likes the old Knights?:p I mean the horses could do with an update but the knights themselves I like. Especially with the KotBS upgrade kits.

Any idea of time frame on these? I was told not for quite a while but that may have changed by the sound of things.

Jedi152
26-09-2011, 14:04
They aren't the worst models GW have done, but compared to Ludwig Swartzhelm, Kurt Helborg and Marius Leitdorf, they're quite dated.

Spiney Norman
26-09-2011, 14:08
I heard more Knightly Orders, not just one box of generic knights, plus warrior priests halflings and some characters, including a female. Never heard anything about a war altar/cannon kit, I heard a vague whisper of a war altar/war wagon kit.

Sorry, just a clarifying point on those rumours, should there be a comma between "warrior priests" and "halflings" or are we in fact getting pint-sized priesties swinging frying pans and yelling prayers to the great pie-in-the-sky?

All I can say is they'd better hold this off until my birthday in march, Christmas is all tied up paying off my dreadfleet bill and bringing my necrons up to their 5th Ed book. The last year has been an expensive one for me, Dark Eldar, Orcs and Goblins, Tomb Kings redone, all armies that I have long-standing collections of, I'm fortunate that Sisters of Battle turned out to be a damp squib really, theres no way I could have afforded to buy anything new.

Korraz
26-09-2011, 14:11
Sounds great. Except for the knights. Now, I like the old knights. I should, I own over a hundred of them. But I sense "No new Elf Core, Part 4: Knights in shiny armor" (After "Party High", "Dark Days" and "Sandy Skeletons") looming over it. The knights aren't bad, but the horses look really, REALLY dated.

Grok
26-09-2011, 14:12
I must be the only person who likes the old Knights?:p I mean the horses could do with an update but the knights themselves I like. Especially with the KotBS upgrade kits.
I'm with you on this one, the horsies need an update but the knights are perfectly fine. There are FAR worst models that need the attention of GW then them, no matter how you slice it.
A new kit for the war alter would be awsome, though if they'll make new Halfling models they'll instantly have my money :p

eldargal
26-09-2011, 14:17
Yes, sorry, warrior priests and halflings.:)

Sorry, just a clarifying point on those rumours, should there be a comma between "warrior priests" and "halflings" or are we in fact getting pint-sized priesties swinging frying pans and yelling prayers to the great pie-in-the-sky?

scarletsquig
26-09-2011, 14:17
So, no new knights, and no new state troops?

Looks like I'll be going full steam ahead with Perry Miniatures for my new army, now I know that's they're releasing new WotR knights next year.

I'm tired of waiting for GW to bring the army up to a decent standard... they've done a good job of sculpting the special/rare choices (which I will buy to flesh out the army), but that doesn't matter when all of the core choices that aren't militia or archers are sub-par... especially when you have to paint up 100+ of them.

7th edition state troops look bad compared to their predecessors, I loved the greatswords when they were first shown (no skullz! no bare feet! no monkey faces! no "sigmar sigmar karl franz" sculpted onto every surface!) and planned to make an entire new army out of converted greatswords... until the pricing on them killed that idea.

War Wagon sounds like the most likely candidate for the War Altar alternate build, they are both basically the same thing, only with different platforms on the top.

Out of all 4 of those rumoured kits, the War Altar is the only one that is a desperately-needed choice.

If it comes with a war wagon option and the potential to magnetize the kit, I'll be very happy with that.

Plastic characters I'll probably pick up too, it would be nice if one of them was a battle standard with sculpted banner... and no cherubs.

Korraz
26-09-2011, 14:21
Yes, sorry, warrior priests and halflings.:)

I'm going to convert a Halfling Warrior Priest now, regardless. :D

The 7th Edition State troops don't look bad per-se. If you don't know their old counterparts. The newer ones have superior sculpting and details, but the old ones radiated character and the Warhammerness without plastering them with skulls. Resculpts of the old ones, with the technique of today, that would be the thing.

eldargal
26-09-2011, 14:47
I like the current state troops, but they rank up horridly so I'd be all for a new kit with raised polearm option instead of having them all poke forward.

Korraz, might have to make a Halfling WP myself now.:)

Zakusmaximus
26-09-2011, 15:00
well, cool looking forword to the new book!!

Huoshini
26-09-2011, 15:12
I hope we get diffrent knightly order rules again. I have about 3000 points worth fo kislev ites now and some special rules to match would be really awesome. (Wishlisting) :)

yabbadabba
26-09-2011, 15:13
The knights aren't bad, but the horses look really, REALLY dated. That's because they are :D they were nothing exciting 17 years ago!

60 Knights and counting ....

ghost21
26-09-2011, 16:12
well, cool looking forword to the new book!!

i really shouldnt mention it but some things are back from 4th ed?.. im thinking

Ghal Maraz
26-09-2011, 16:23
i really shouldnt mention it but some things are back from 4th ed?.. im thinking

Uhmmm... Because that's you (and someone else in the past, IIRC...):

4th ed. Empire army book things missing in 7th ed. one:

-differentiation of the Knightly Orders (not that they were really different, back then, but still...);
-Reiksguard (infantry), if we ignore the fact that the actual Greatswords are a blending of Reiksguards and the former Greatswords;
- Kislev Horse Archers;
- Kislev Winged Lancers;
- Ogres!
- Dwarfs!!
- Halflings!!!
- Halfling Hot Pot!!!!
- War Wagon;
- Magnus the Pious;
- the former Supreme Patriarch of the Colleges of Magic (Herr Thyrus Gormann, that's it);
- the named Elector Counts (Valmir von Raukov, Marius Leitdorf, Aldebrand Ludenhof, Boris Todbringer);
- the Tzarina Katarin, the Ice Queen of Kislev;
- the Monster section!

Have I forgotten something?

Daniel36
26-09-2011, 16:27
The old crappy horses/knights remain.

What is WRONG with GW? There is only one thing that needs an update, and it's not getting an update.

Seriously....

Empire doesn't really need new stuff, it needs its old stuff improved upon. I am not complaining about new stuff, mind you, but I want new Knights!!!

yabbadabba
26-09-2011, 16:30
Have I forgotten something? Gotrek and Felix :evilgrin: - they could still betaken in an Empire army even though they weren't in the book.

The differentiation between the knights still exists, what you would probably want to see is particluar knightly order specific magic items.

yabbadabba
26-09-2011, 16:32
What is WRONG with GW? There is only one thing that needs an update, and it's not getting an update. Um what's WRONG with you :angel:?

Its a rumour - lets wait and see shall we before we start throwing more rocks at GW.

Apologies for the dual posts.

Morgoth
26-09-2011, 16:35
there are different cav coming though.

No please, no knights on robo-horses or those demigriffon suckers mentioned in the rule book.:eyebrows:

eldargal
26-09-2011, 16:40
Oh, forgot about demigrpyh/griff/griffon cavalry. Looking forward to seeing those actually.

Ghal Maraz
26-09-2011, 16:43
Gotrek and Felix :evilgrin: - they could still betaken in an Empire army even though they weren't in the book.

The differentiation between the knights still exists, what you would probably want to see is particluar knightly order specific magic items.

Yeah, you're right on Batman & Rob... ehm.

At the time, apart from the Knights of the White Wolf (with their reduced points cost, reduced armour save and always striking last Two-Handed Weapons), there were really no differentiation in the three named Knightly Orders in game terms: same rules, same profile, same equipment, same options. It was a strange thing: at least, in the late-3rd-edition WD Empire list there were some real differences between them.

I don't expect variations between the Orders (but I would gladly see them!:D), I was merely compiling the list!:shifty:

loveless
26-09-2011, 16:48
The Core Troops annoy me so much in ranking and painting that I gave up on the Empire - that said, a War Altar kit would be very difficult to say no to if the price was right and the concept solid.

scarletsquig
26-09-2011, 16:49
As far as the new cavalry goes, I want to see Imperial Pigeoneers riding gigantic Imperial Pigeons! Fresh from the menagerie of a mad halfling engineer who invented a magical anti-shrinking device.

It would explain where all the giant feathers come from. :)

SunTzu
26-09-2011, 16:50
The current edition State Troops are among the least enjoyable models I have ever painted. I only did ten, for a competition, but by the end of it I was just slapping paint on in an effort to get them finished, as they are so hideous I was sick of the sight of them.

The Knights are alright, I think. Don't get the hatred for them personally.

yabbadabba
26-09-2011, 16:54
Valten.

And I'll say it first. Pikes! Now back to reality. No Pikes!

loveless
26-09-2011, 16:55
The Knights are alright, I think. Don't get the hatred for them personally.

It's a combination of the hum-drum horses and size creep of steeds elsewhere in the Fantasy Range.

The Imperial Knight horses look like small ponies in comparison to most new steeds - even the Pistolier/Outrider ones if I remember correctly.

The Knights themselves are fine, but the horses are...lacklustre.

Mirbeau

I heard there was morr of a focus on a specific god, in regards to the cav. Do correct me if that isn't it mind :angel: .

Boreas_NL
A proper "great" cannon? With the OK Ironblaster I guess many Empire players get jealous. ;)

Yes, I did get jealous... So, there was nothing else to do than to loot it!
Check my thread for pics!

Kokos
26-09-2011, 17:02
I would bet on demigryph knights. GW will want to sneak some monstrous cavalry in to the armybook for sure.
I will also be thankfull for the war wagon return because I still have old 4th ed one and I really enjoy the model (except for the horses obviously)

Ferox21
26-09-2011, 17:35
Back after quite some time...

If GW would finally bring a War Altar kit i think the War Wagon would be the natural 2. build option. And it seems they like war platforms right now (Ork spider, TK sphinx) so it s more believeble then the large canon option.

No new knights is a shame, the horses are really outdated and all other armies are getting shiny new heavy cavalry. Just the empire has to stick with the old knights...

And i think they should redo the state troops. I am still happy that i own a large quantity of the old Perry ones, because i think the current models are really bad sculpts.

Darnok
26-09-2011, 17:38
Something more: the knight mentioned are supposedly not replacements of the current knights, but demi-gryph knights. See Warhammer Forge (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer/THE-EMPIRE/THEODORE-BRUCKNER-AND-REAPER.html) for reference.

PurpleSun
26-09-2011, 17:42
What would be the point in having new knights when knights are generally useless in 8th Edition? They might as well sit on the knights until 9th Edition fixes cavalry.

Ferox21
26-09-2011, 17:44

Hmm, it would be awesome if you ask me - but i am a great warcraft Fan... ;)

Just hoping they are affordable pointwise

yabbadabba
26-09-2011, 17:45
What would be the point in having new knights when knights are generally useless in 8th Edition? They might as well sit on the knights until 9th Edition fixes cavalry. I have used knights more this editon than last. Love 'em.

I guess if you've got it .....

ltsobel
26-09-2011, 17:49
How would halflings (with or without WPs :P) fit in? Archers, skirmishers? Also trying not to wishlist but id love a Kislevite option.

Fieos
26-09-2011, 18:03
Knights are a solid choice for a counter-charge strategy in conjunction with our war machines. Additionally, cavalry forces your opponent to make some difficult decisions mid-field. A unit of cavalry charging in conjunction with a Steam Tank makes for winning combat and a 3d6 pursuit...

Cavalry is not dead in 8th....

Harry
26-09-2011, 18:16
See what happens when you get in late from work. You miss all the fun. :D

MrCarbohydrate
26-09-2011, 18:25
I'm getting the sense with the rumours going around that Empire are going to tilt slightly back toward 4th/5th ed Empire (when I started!) when things such as the Kislevites, Halflings, and War Wagon were choices in the actual Army list.

Basically, it'd give you the option of making "Empire" into just about any human-themed army you'd want to excepting Bretonnians. I'd be perfectly okay with that :)

Sarevok
26-09-2011, 18:29
Empire really need a more powerful Cannon, because S10 D6 wounds isn't good enough.

Dr. Who
26-09-2011, 18:34
Did the Birdy happen to mention whether this would an armybook release or be a stand alone miniatures release - possible with WD rules to support it a la the recent VC release?

- Dr.

75hastings69
26-09-2011, 18:37
Did the Birdy happen to mention whether this would an armybook release or be a stand alone miniatures release - possible with WD rules to support it a la the recent VC release?

- Dr.

The WD VC article should be viewed as a stop gap between books, terrorgheist will be in proper print much quicker than some people may imagine ;)

slirgy
26-09-2011, 18:38
now, i don't know this but does the empire actually need an update lets look at the armies who really need an update like say wood elves, but there is still no knews on them;(

Daniel36
26-09-2011, 18:38
That is awesome!

Darnok
26-09-2011, 18:40

- Dr.

No word of it. But the amount of stuff sounds like stuff you would release with a new book. Just a guess on my part though...

lordlorien
26-09-2011, 18:47
Kind of a Lack Luster for all Wood Elves and Bretonia generals but with Hastings last posts Vampire Counts and Empire as next army books became a whole lot more likely ;)!

Deff Mekz
26-09-2011, 18:49
So a VC army book and possibly a Empire book are up next then, interesting. It fits with what Harry said a while back to, where he calmed the Bretonnia are next rumour bandwagon with a suggestion that he had heard things about Dwarves, Empire and VC.
Thanks for the rumours all!

Deff

Harry
26-09-2011, 18:50
... with Hastings last posts Vampire Counts and Empire as next army books became a whole lot more likely ;)!

I thought they were fairly likely when I mentioned them a while back. :D

Korraz
26-09-2011, 18:52
I have used knights more this editon than last. Love 'em.

I guess if you've got it .....

Agreed. I want to see you call cavalry useless AFTER my Knight Horde has walked over your army.

How would halflings (with or without WPs :P) fit in? Archers, skirmishers? Also trying not to wishlist but id love a Kislevite option.

Cheap BS4 RNF Archers , possibly stubborn, as Detachs but not as main regiment.. (State Troop Archers even cheaper, possibility for a Hunter upgrade, Longbow, Main and Detach) would be my guess.

loveless
26-09-2011, 18:54
The WD VC article should be viewed as a stop gap between books, terrorgheist will be in proper print much quicker than some people may imagine ;)

I don't know, I can imagine pretty quickly :p

Seriously, though, that's great news - best thing I've heard on here in some time. I'm guessing I have to wait through the Empire first, though.

ghost21
26-09-2011, 18:55
take with salt..

warrior priest of morr/ sigmar/ ulric, the ulric may be a re release from soc

oh and a special warrior priestess of myramidia?

Harry
26-09-2011, 19:00
So a VC army book and possibly a Empire book are up next then, interesting. It fits with what Harry said a while back to, where he calmed the Bretonnia are next rumour bandwagon with a suggestion that he had heard things about Dwarves, Empire and VC.
Actually what I said was I have VC, Empire and Dwarves in the frame .....:shifty:

There is some other stuff in there too but I am not sure if it is only waves with the bits I have heard so far.

Deff Mekz
26-09-2011, 19:01
Ah I see sorry, well I was close. :D

Deff

Harry
26-09-2011, 19:06
I don't know, I can imagine pretty quickly
Imagine faster. :shifty:

take with salt..

No salt required fits with something I heard about a choice of priests.

.... and that would be Myrmidia. :D

Deff Mekz
26-09-2011, 19:16

I'm guessing November or January then.

Deff

loveless
26-09-2011, 19:20

Deff

I was going to start yelling out October 2011 myself.

---

Priests of Morr, eh? Here's hoping Necromancers are useful in the next Undead book so I can bastardize one.

Who am I kidding? I love Warrior Priests.

Bring it on!

yabbadabba
26-09-2011, 19:22
Traditionally your Christmas new release will be a 40K army or a new game. The latter isn't an option.

However I could see a WFB army in October and in January. Empire in January would be one of the stronger WFB army releases - <i>if</i> it is Empire.

Deff Mekz
26-09-2011, 19:22
I'm willing to place a rather large bet that GW put forward the Garden of Morr as a perfect add on to your Priest of Morr purchase. :shifty:

Deff

DivineVisitor
26-09-2011, 19:40
Il reserve judgement on potential Demigriff Knights until i see them. However unless they are incredibly awesome i'll just be using converted Kislev Bear Riders to count as any monstrous cavalry possibilities.

Would love to see a new Empire book though, especially as they've overtaken my Slaaneshi Daemons and Lizardmen as my main Fantasy army. Maybe some books do deserve it more, but im selfish :P

Odin
26-09-2011, 19:53
I say the same every Empire release though; no new knights means no Empire army for me.

Yup, me too. The one thing Empire desperately need is new knights. No knights means no dosh from me.

Dr. Who
26-09-2011, 20:04
Actually what I said was I have VC, Empire and Dwarves in the frame .....:shifty:

There is some other stuff in there too but I am not sure if it is only waves with the bits I have heard so far.

May I ask: How long is your frame (of reference)...!:shifty::D

- Dr.

El Antiguo Guardián
26-09-2011, 20:04
Well, i heard about demigriffons so time ago (begginins of 8ºed), So, yeah, demigriffons: Templair (like the special ones) on demigriffons, f4 (6) the rider, abot 60 points...

RanaldLoec
26-09-2011, 20:31
DEAR LORD, yessssssssssssss oh my I'm having a panic attack please please be true sweet j****s please be true.

If no one noticed I'm a massive Empire fan.

Demi gryph knights sweet

Giant cannon sweet

War wagon retro sweet

New priests cherry on top of the yummy Empire cake.

Darnok
26-09-2011, 20:35
Isn't it great how one little birdy sings and every rumour monger comes out of his hole and starts to join in? :D

Vazalaar
26-09-2011, 20:35
Great news, but why don't the make new plastic knights? I refuse to use knights in my Empire until they release new ones.

Anyway if no new horses, than I will probably use Perry plastic mounted WotR when they are released. I only hope that their horses are a bit bigger than the current GW plastic horses. I think not, but I can hope.

Anyway great news! I am looking forward to it, finally plastic Warrior priest:D

Fantastic:D

brynolf
26-09-2011, 20:40
Wingless chickens? No thanks!

RanaldLoec
26-09-2011, 20:49
Wingless chickens? No thanks!

Yeah because all we want are new knight models:wtf:

Were not interested in new units just the same old units thanks.:shifty:

ihavetoomuchminis
26-09-2011, 20:50

Deff

January is more accurate for VC.

Morkash
26-09-2011, 20:52
A Priestress of Myrmidia? GW never ceases to ignite my interest...:yes:

plantagenet
26-09-2011, 20:58
It would be unusual to see any new army books in December
or January. February is normally when GW starts releasing main releases again.

loveless
26-09-2011, 21:05
Yeah because all we want are new knight models:wtf:

Were not interested in new units just the same old units thanks.:shifty:

If it were a choice between Demigryph Riders and new Knightly Order boxes...I'm betting a resculpted Knightly Order box would win the popular vote by far.

If they do release Demigryphs, hopefully they look a bit better than Warhammer Forge's - which always strikes my eye as a mewling wretched thing, beaten into service and mounted. It's well-sculpted, but I always feel bad for the poor thing...he doesn't seem to be having much fun.

ghost21
26-09-2011, 21:09

No salt required fits with something I heard about a choice of priests.

.... and that would be Myrmidia. :D

i really need to find the rest of my tutoen guard from somwhere

~Revenant~
26-09-2011, 21:10
Seriously ??? they are keeping those god awful horses that are older than most of their fanbase ?

I'm sorry but that's just lazy, I'm guessing this "new" unit of bling special knights whatever they are will be so good they will be spammed vs the old ones.

The sad thing is that the old pistoler horses were the same unarmored horses everyone used and held up with time much better visually than the armor pony ones the knights come on, so that should have been noticed.

I mean out of the entire empire range it's the knight horses which need a modern sculpt the most, I can live with the knights ( btw who are so bad @ss they don't need stirups to ride a horse! ) and their heads are still cool but those horses no way, when GW replaces them I will start my knight heavy empire army till then they won't be seeing my money on empire till they get their act together.

Morkash
26-09-2011, 21:13
If you find them, send them my way, ghost. :D I'm tired of seeing them going for 100 pounds per box...

ghost21
26-09-2011, 21:13
Seriously ??? they are keeping those god awful horses that are older than most of their fanbase ?

I'm sorry but that's just lazy, I'm guessing this "new" unit of bling special knights whatever they are will be so good they will be spammed vs the old ones.

I mean out of the entire empire range it's the knight horses which need a modern sculpt the most, I can life with the knights and their heads are still cool but those horses no way, when GW replaces them I will start my knight heavy empire army till then they won't be seeing my money on empire till they get their act together.

if there were more packs like the blazing sun would you consider that lazy??, and honestly there are worse figures out there...cough night runners cough

i had heard of a sprue re-cut for the knights though

Ferox21
26-09-2011, 21:34

Quite a shame for Bretonnians and Woodelves. These are the oldest books in the line and at least the Woodies really need a proper rules update.

VC, i don't know if they are in need of an update, but i don't play them neither have i played ageinst them in 8. Edition so i have no idea wether an update is neccessary. Modelwise there should be little to do - they just got some decent new stuff.

Empire, well, i play Empire, but my army is rather large, so i won't buy that much if there aren't totally new units (like the mentioned war altar or griffon knights).

Jedi152
26-09-2011, 21:35
take with salt..

Do you want some trivia?

A Warseer wrote the rules for priests of Ulric in SoC. In the first copy of Watchman he wrote rules for priests of Taal, Morr and Verena...

Harry
26-09-2011, 21:46
Do you want some trivia?

A Warseer wrote the rules for priests of Ulric in SoC. In the first copy of Watchman he wrote rules for priests of Taal, Morr and Verena...

Good magazine that.
They had some great writers. :D

~Revenant~
26-09-2011, 21:57
if there were more packs like the blazing sun would you consider that lazy??, and honestly there are worse figures out there...cough night runners cough

i had heard of a sprue re-cut for the knights though

Blazing sun upgrade pack was quite lazy yes, it's a simple temp scrap from the table to make some fans spin a bit of a buzz while forgetting how crappy the plastic knight box is vs the majority of their other plastics, maybe with the exception of the catachans, this ain't 1992 it's 2011 with all sorts of plastics on par with their metals or even better in some cases, I mean just look at the chaos knights or the orc boar boys and how dynamic they are vs these plastic donkey wearing fisher price molding armor.

I expect 2 things:

White wolf head options with about as much variety of them as the space wolves sprue has, including non repeat cloaks and cool bling trinkets.

and much more detailed empire knight bodies and variety.

If they can do that with chaos knights no excuse, basically the current plastic empire general but variety poses and options, that's not much to ask that's something that is needed for a company that claims to make the best toy soldiers in the world, by bringing their product up to standards with the rest of their range, especially if it's going to be one of the new hc armybooks, those knights are pre 6th ed at the least I think I saw them on release around 1995 ? and the horses are for sure from around 91 or 92, since they were part of the original empire blister pack when the original metal sculps came out in the early red period.

unheilig
26-09-2011, 22:01
I gotta agree here...

The Empire Knights need resculpting. period. Its time.

Gabacho Mk.II
26-09-2011, 22:16
I would be quite shocked if GW's new installment of VC ends up LOWERING the price costs for the their Core units.

If I read that ghouls and the like are cheaper for 8th ed, then I will forever be convinced that GW will always go out of their way to push an a given army over another.

[note: I am saying this due to the rumors that I read here on WarSeer months ago, and in a few of the posts the given poster stated, clearly, that the price per model for VC core was to drop.] (!!!) :eyebrows:

mweaver
26-09-2011, 22:29
All the "featured" rumors sound quite attractive to me.

Add me to the list that found the latest Empire troops plastics inferior to their predecessors (unusual for GW). They redeemed themselves with the archers and the greatswords, though.

I quite like the old knights, although I admit the horses are on the smallish side. Mind you, I would be delighted to see new ones as well!

The Perry Brother sculpts for their own ranges tend to be more slender than the WH Empire figures - especially for horses. I expect will be true with the plastic mounted men at arms too. Gorgeous figures from the greens, though.

Pumpavius
26-09-2011, 23:25
Wingless chickens... meh
War altar, GREAT! Even better if it comes with a battle wagon option
Priests from different gods? My friend whi plays a middenheim empire army will be really happy :)

But... VC gets a new AB before wood elves and/or bretonnia? You gotta be kiding... I know at the end it's all about sales, but one thing is to make money, other thing is to totally ignore a section of your customers.

sigur
26-09-2011, 23:53
Dymygryphhyns? Oh dear. Just when I thought that Warhammer was kind of save when they didn't get lion or dragon cavalry for HE the last time around this rumour shows up... :shifty:

Gekiganger
27-09-2011, 00:50
The new priests are enough to please me. I'd really like some new knights, I really would, but God specific priests are just what I've been after for quite some time.

BobtheInquisitor
27-09-2011, 01:01
Are we sure about the demigryphs? I want to know how much to salivate. Or should I just get the Warhammer Forge model?

anthioram
27-09-2011, 01:15
Seems the demigryphs are a sure thing, which is sad in my opinion, because empire doesn't need MC, and it doesn't feel part of an empire army (this is all my opinion of course).
But it seems that every army must have a bit of everything this days, just like the ogres got themselves a cannon (Which could be deleted from the book, and ogres would still be a very fun and competitive army).
I understand that GW sells miniatures, and thus new armybooks are made so they can sell new miniatures, but i'm sure there are ways to sell new miniatures without breaking the feel of the army...

TsukeFox
27-09-2011, 02:04
Man I hope this release of models will just be like the new models for vamps or chaos-
going to have a heart attack if empire get a new book before the other 6th edition codexes.

Glimfeather
27-09-2011, 02:17
Seems the demigryphs are a sure thing, which is sad in my opinion, because empire doesn't need MC, and it doesn't feel part of an empire army (this is all my opinion of course).
But it seems that every army must have a bit of everything this days, just like the ogres got themselves a cannon (Which could be deleted from the book, and ogres would still be a very fun and competitive army).
I understand that GW sells miniatures, and thus new armybooks are made so they can sell new miniatures, but i'm sure there are ways to sell new miniatures without breaking the feel of the army...

Variety is the spice of life. Perhaps adding more options to every army further reduces the chances of any single army build of being able to handle every possible build of all other armys. I am not a fluff purist but as long as they don't water it down _too much_ it shouldn't make too much of a difference. Besides 2500 points is 2500 points and taking an empire doom blaster cannon disastro device still reduces the amount of other options available.

RanaldLoec
27-09-2011, 05:32
I really don't understand the don't change a thing stance.

Empire used to have a bit of everything in 4th and 5th ed. Then came the rewrite and what people will recognizes as the Empire army today appeared, it has changed very little since even with a another army book adding Arch Lectors, waralters, helstorms and putting the steam tank rules back into book.

I miss the days of fielding Kislev light cavalry along side my Altdorf Dwaven contingent.

So I'm not opposed to change, new units, new fluff or rules. It keeps the gaming side of the hobby from turning stale.

Warning like Harry enthusiasm to follow:

BRING IT ON!

Honestly 8th edition coupled with warhammer forge releases I've never seen fantasy get so much love from GW. I for one love it, keep the books coming, keep the faq's and white dwarf updates coming, new terrain, new kits, new rules its all very exciting.

I feel like I'm 9 not 29

Reticent
27-09-2011, 06:13
Empire used to have a bit of everything in 4th and 5th ed.

Thinking back that was almost literally true.

As an aside, does anyone suppose that the new "demigryph knights" are a stab at de-emphasizing the Knightly Orders? Not that there was that much thematic overlap, but maybe they want mounted human knights as a more strictly Bretonnian thing?

eldargal
27-09-2011, 06:16
No, there is no indication of that, they are introducing more varieties of mounted knights as well as the demigrpyhs.

Caelas
27-09-2011, 07:23
Haven't you all considered the possibility that GW will release new knights in a second wave? Also, I am wondering what might be taken out of the book...

Grok
27-09-2011, 07:39
Who said there has to be something taken out of the book?

Morkash
27-09-2011, 08:06
Were there any choices removed from the three 8th edition books? None comes to mind for O&G or Ogres, not sure on Khemri.

Anardakil
27-09-2011, 08:18
Nope. None at all. Last time something was removed was from the poor Beastmen i believe.

No wood elves in 2012 then? Why have you forsaken us GW?! :cries:

Althwen
27-09-2011, 08:42
Haven't you all considered the possibility that GW will release new knights in a second wave? Also, I am wondering what might be taken out of the book...

I don't know about second waves... over the last year, I haven't seen too many of those except for Dark Eldar and Dark eldar and Dark Eldar... I'm still waiting for my Space Wolves!

Anyway, wasn't Skaven the last Fantasy army that got a 2nd wave of anything?

Korraz
27-09-2011, 08:51
As several rumor mongers have pointed out, there ARE no real waves.
Looking at the all new release policy, new knights could turn up every day, even before the new book.

silverstu
27-09-2011, 11:10

Deff

I was going to start yelling out October 2011 myself.

Hmm- necrons are rumoured to be Nov, Dreadfleet is the October release and Jan is a possible IG release for 40k so I'd imagine a later release for VC- maybe March?

Great to see a load of new rumours popping up! Thanks to all- the "birdy" Harry and Hastings.
Like the sound of the female priest for the empire- interested to see if she can be VC'd up to join my lady vamps..

ghost21
27-09-2011, 12:33
well i really really shouldn't

but inner circle knights, wicked plastic box interest anybody?

... lots of options... only 5 though... main reason for knights not getting a new box

the gods are very prominent now , theres also a sphere of influence as i understand it so ulricans wont be affected by sigmaric priests...

anthioram
27-09-2011, 12:46
I really don't understand the don't change a thing stance.

Empire used to have a bit of everything in 4th and 5th ed. Then came the rewrite and what people will recognizes as the Empire army today appeared, it has changed very little since even with a another army book adding Arch Lectors, waralters, helstorms and putting the steam tank rules back into book.

I miss the days of fielding Kislev light cavalry along side my Altdorf Dwaven contingent.

So I'm not opposed to change, new units, new fluff or rules. It keeps the gaming side of the hobby from turning stale.

Warning like Harry enthusiasm to follow:

BRING IT ON!

Honestly 8th edition coupled with warhammer forge releases I've never seen fantasy get so much love from GW. I for one love it, keep the books coming, keep the faq's and white dwarf updates coming, new terrain, new kits, new rules its all very exciting.

I feel like I'm 9 not 29

Oh, don't get me wrong, i love how GW is treating fantasy these days, and i think the last 3 books where great, so i'm sure that the empire book will be as great when it comes out. But i just feel those demigryphs are being shoehorned into the army just so Empire can have their own Mcavalry at 60-70 points a piece, thus watering down the diferences between armybooks...
There are many options for new empire miniatures, like new knights, or halflings...

Anyway, i have to say that maybe i sound a little bit to dramatic. As i said, i couldn't be happier with how GW is treating WF these day...

But then i enter your flickr account on the GD (a very nice one by the way) and see the wolf rat model and i dread a future with skaven cavalry and dwarf magic and whatnot... :shifty:

Gwyddyon
27-09-2011, 12:56
I think Fantasy frequently suffers from a widespread assumption that in order for the armies to play differently, they must all be thoroughly hamstrung in some major way. No Skaven or Dwarven cavalry. No Dwarven magic. No Bret heavy infantry. And so on. As though there's no room for nuance.

Take a look at history. In 1812 the British, French, Prussians, and Belgians were all using essentially the same types of soldiers with the same kit. In the Hundred Years War the French and English were both using knights, heavy and light infantry, light cav, and ranged weapons, but essentially they were kitted out about the same, although the English had more longbows and the French more crossbows. Yet they didn't fight in exactly the same manner or with the same effectiveness, and if the rules are written well, they don't play the same on a miniature gaming table.

Armies can play quite differently if they have well-written rules, even if they *gasp* ALL have cavalry and heavy infantry and ranged skirmishers and...

Reticent
27-09-2011, 12:58
Were there any choices removed from the three 8th edition books? None comes to mind for O&G or Ogres, not sure on Khemri.

Nope. None at all. Last time something was removed was from the poor Beastmen i believe.

Not quite true. Ogres lost Gnoblar Trappers (the skirmishing unit, not the new upgrade of the same name), Cathayan Long Swords (the equipment type), and several types of character upgrade Gnoblars (Sword, Tooth, and Luck). Also, every 8th ed book has lost magic items.

If a game designer were inclined to cull anything (and I have no idea if they would be), there is more room to do so in the Empire book than Ogres or Khemri just based on existing diversity in the army.

Daniel36
27-09-2011, 13:02
Ooh I quite like the different Warrior Priest deal.

Any word on whether they are stand alone minis or are they perhaps a set like the wizard set, so that you can make different Priests with one plastic set?

Grok
27-09-2011, 13:05
Loosing some equipment upgrade choices like those isn't something that affects the army's diversity... And I belive they lost some Gnoblar options cause its a new army and maybe they felt it wasn't a good part of it. Unlike the Empire which is one of the first armies in the game and have seen much thought put into it.

mweaver
27-09-2011, 13:27
I too like the rumor of priests for different gods.

Anardakil
27-09-2011, 13:38
Not quite true. Ogres lost Gnoblar Trappers (the skirmishing unit, not the new upgrade of the same name), Cathayan Long Swords (the equipment type), and several types of character upgrade Gnoblars (Sword, Tooth, and Luck). Also, every 8th ed book has lost magic items.

If a game designer were inclined to cull anything (and I have no idea if they would be), there is more room to do so in the Empire book than Ogres or Khemri just based on existing diversity in the army.

i took it we were talking about unit entries, not upgrades.

Lord Skrolk
27-09-2011, 13:54
All sounding good, VC are so badly in need if a rewrite its untrue. All the internal balance is shafted, the points are screwy and there is arguably only one decent build which is sooooooo cookie cutter it's to the hobbies detriment. I for one will be doing a little poop in my pants when this comes out. Roll on flesh and bones.

El Antiguo Guardián
27-09-2011, 13:58
So...more about the VC? Where are they going to be released? We know about the golems...

Reticent
27-09-2011, 14:10
i took it we were talking about unit entries, not upgrades.

Even if you restrict it to that, Ogres went from 4 core choices in the old book to 3 in the current book. No models were invalidated though, so it is easy to overlook.

Not that I'm complaining- the new book is much, much better.

Zakusmaximus
27-09-2011, 14:19
Empire really need a more powerful Cannon, because S10 D6 wounds isn't good enough.

hahahah true that!

yabbadabba
27-09-2011, 14:37
I think Fantasy frequently suffers from a widespread assumption that in order for the armies to play differently, they must all be thoroughly hamstrung in some major way. No Skaven or Dwarven cavalry. No Dwarven magic. No Bret heavy infantry. And so on. As though there's no room for nuance.

Take a look at history. In 1812 the British, French, Prussians, and Belgians were all using essentially the same types of soldiers with the same kit. In the Hundred Years War the French and English were both using knights, heavy and light infantry, light cav, and ranged weapons, but essentially they were kitted out about the same, although the English had more longbows and the French more crossbows. Yet they didn't fight in exactly the same manner or with the same effectiveness, and if the rules are written well, they don't play the same on a miniature gaming table.

Armies can play quite differently if they have well-written rules, even if they *gasp* ALL have cavalry and heavy infantry and ranged skirmishers and... Guess what, they were all human too. That makes life a little more straight forward, especially in rules writing.

Its a non-argument you have here Gwyddyon to be honest. In adddition it also ignores issues with background IP (a non-issue with historical wargames), ignoring the fact that its a tried and tested formula in the Fantasy genre as well as maybe glossing over the fact that it adds depth to a game that some Historical games lack.

Still if you like that sort of thing just play Empire vs Empire. Sorted.

static grass
27-09-2011, 14:41
Ooh I quite like the different Warrior Priest deal.

Any word on whether they are stand alone minis or are they perhaps a set like the wizard set, so that you can make different Priests with one plastic set?

I have wondered about this as well. On one hand you have a single customizable kit on the other you have a bunch of seperate kits for each of the seperate Warrior Priests that need representing.

It has been a while since we have seen a multikit for a character.

Horace35
27-09-2011, 14:49
So do people reckon we will get a fantasy release before xmas?

Doesnt really matter which to me, would be happy with any of them.

SunTzu
27-09-2011, 14:55
All sounding good, VC are so badly in need if a rewrite its untrue. All the internal balance is shafted, the points are screwy and there is arguably only one decent build which is sooooooo cookie cutter it's to the hobbies detriment.

Whereas Bretonnians and Wood Elves, as everyone knows, have multiple highly effective builds.

Wait - "multiple" can include "zero", right? It just means "not one"? Or is it "more than one"?

eldargal
27-09-2011, 14:55
October was mentioned, but surely they would be in the October White Dwarf if that were so? So I doubt it, if November is Necrons and December the usual Christmas deals and whatnot then I'd go with January. I would be thrilled to be wrong.

lparigi34
27-09-2011, 15:10
Nope. None at all. Last time something was removed was from the poor Beastmen I believe.

No wood elves in 2012 then? Why have you forsaken us GW?! :cries:

Please no! My armies are O&G, TK, OK, Empire & WE

If you notice, the first 3 came out in line and now Empire!... My wallet has no regeneration save... If WE comes out next, I will better start selling some other stuff from home... I just hope they do not release anything for Chaos Khorne 40K .

yabbadabba
27-09-2011, 15:23
Don't forget we have seen new units and stats in WD recently, so this could also be an option for this Empire rumour; its also one of the WFB armies that could better support this release format.

Vazalaar
27-09-2011, 15:27

... lots of options... only 5 though... main reason for knights not getting a new box

the gods are very prominent now , theres also a sphere of influence as i understand it so ulricans wont be affected by sigmaric priests...

I hope you are right Ghost21. It sounds great!

Ghal Maraz
27-09-2011, 15:48
Sooooo...

Empire getting some fantasy (back...) in its army, apart from the character section and the steam-powered wackyness? I could live with that.

I really could live with that.

DeathlessDraich
27-09-2011, 16:49
An Empire army book??
Birdy mentioned new models not an army book. There seems to be a steady Finecast stream so I'm not surprised by the rumour of new models.

A probable Fantasy release in Jan. was mentioned sometime back but not Empire IIRC.

Have some posters got too excited and Sigmarwrongly overejaculated? :D

Tuatha Dar
27-09-2011, 16:49
I gotta agree here...

The Empire Knights need resculpting. period. Its time.

Hopefully Avatars of War or some other small manufacturer will see this as an opportunity and do knights of their own. Then whatever GW does becomes completely meaningless. Which is fine by me.

Tuatha

Vazalaar
27-09-2011, 17:07
Hopefully Avatars of War or some other small manufacturer will see this as an opportunity and do knights of their own. Then whatever GW does becomes completely meaningless. Which is fine by me.

Tuatha

Only Avatars of War could pull of a nice plastic "Empire" knights set , but I think this will not happen. They have other gaps to fill. They are the only who can rival GW with their mini's (imo)

The "soon" to released Perry plastic mounted men at arms are another possibility, the problem is when looking at my WotR perry plastics, the scale is to small to fit with the rest of my GW plastics and I do like consistency in my army. I like heroic scale for fantasy armies and true scale for my historicals.

GW is realling making 2011 the year of fantasy, since the release of the new Savage orc plastic sets they are on fire. O&G, TK and especially OK are very great releases.

For me SoM was also a succes.

And when we add the magnificent Warhammer Forge to it, the circle is round.

I can't wait for the new Empire releases.

Bring it on!
My wallet and I are ready! :)

Gwyddyon
27-09-2011, 17:30
Guess what, they were all human too. That makes life a little more straight forward, especially in rules writing.

Its a non-argument you have here Gwyddyon to be honest. In adddition it also ignores issues with background IP (a non-issue with historical wargames), ignoring the fact that its a tried and tested formula in the Fantasy genre as well as maybe glossing over the fact that it adds depth to a game that some Historical games lack.

Still if you like that sort of thing just play Empire vs Empire. Sorted.

You've more or less completely missed my point (I'm shocked I tell you, shocked). It shouldn't matter if we're talking humans vs. humans or humans vs. elves. That doesn't even mean anything when it comes down to mechanics, it's just fluff. In fact, I'd suggest that a wider range of special rules and stats between races should make it EASIER to differentiate playstyles without simply saying "You don't have cavalry because Dwarves/Ogres/Space Hamsters don't like horses and therefore give their opponent a major tactical advantage." IP IS an issue, but let's be honest, GW changes their IP on a whim whenever it means selling a new miniature - THAT is a non-argument.

I'm not saying I want Empire vs. Empire. I just don't think that giving everybody cavalry, or artillery, or magic, or any other basic option necessitates lack of army differentiation. That claim (one made frequently on Warseer, including in this thread) is just silly.

yabbadabba
27-09-2011, 17:41
You've more or less completely missed my point (I'm shocked I tell you, shocked). Well, it is beholden on the writer to make their point as clear as possible.

It shouldn't matter if we're talking humans vs. humans or humans vs. elves. That doesn't even mean anything when it comes down to mechanics, it's just fluff. In fact, I'd suggest that a wider range of special rules and stats between races should make it EASIER to differentiate playstyles without simply saying "You don't have cavalry because Dwarves/Ogres/Space Hamsters don't like horses and therefore give their opponent a major tactical advantage." I think that is missing one of the key factors of WFB. Are you sure you are involved with the right game?

IP IS an issue, but let's be honest, GW changes their IP on a whim whenever it means selling a new miniature - THAT is a non-argument Its actually a real argument. GW changing the IP is not an issue at all. GW clearly defining their IP and making each part recognisably different is, otherwise its a waste of time and money to go to this degree of definition. But that is an argument for another place.

I'm not saying I want Empire vs. Empire. I just don't think that giving everybody cavalry, or artillery, or magic, or any other basic option necessitates lack of army differentiation. That claim (one made frequently on Warseer, including in this thread) is just silly. As "silly" is only opinion and not fact you are welcome to it. I would say thousands thoroughly enjoy the diversity and different challenges each individualised army brings and this is borne out by GW's success. Now I don't think in this case that makes thousands of people "silly", do you?

So, as this has nothing to do with Empire rumours I am going to leave this one alone.

Gwyddyon
27-09-2011, 17:52
Well, it is beholden on the writer to make their point as clear as possible.

Oh yay, the Conduit Metaphor...

If you want to get really technical about it, we could discuss the expectation communication puts upon the reader to expend a bare minimum of effort in analyzing what the writer has produced.

I think that is missing one of the key factors of WFB. Are you sure you are involved with the right game?

"Key factors" of WFB change with every edition.

Its actually a real argument. GW changing the IP is not an issue at all. GW clearly defining their IP and making each part recognisably different is, otherwise its a waste of time and money to go to this degree of definition. But that is an argument for another place.

It's also an argument that doesn't make sense. Giving Vampire Counts a cannon doesn't mean that GW has destroyed definition, or unalterably damaged its IP. It's just a change. The same thing that happens every time they release an army book or a novel. Heck, many of the restrictions aren't even truly GW's invention or intellectual work when it comes down to it. Tropes like Dwarves not liking to ride on animals or Elves not liking industry and gunpowder are far, far older than WFB, as you're well aware.

As "silly" is only opinion and not fact you are welcome to it. I would say thousands thoroughly enjoy the diversity and different challenges each individualised army brings and this is borne out by GW's success. Now I don't think in this case that makes thousands of people "silly", do you?

Strawman. I said claiming that there can be no army differentiation without removing basic unit types from each army is silly. I did NOT say that enjoying the diversity of challenges of individualised armies is silly. Those are two entirely different claims. Enjoy whatever you want. But suggesting that giving everyone infantry, cavalry, artillery, and wizards eliminates diversity is essentially arguing that the ONLY THING creating meaningful differentiation between armies is restricting access to gunpowder in one army and mounts in another. That would seem at odds with your comments about GW's wildly diverse IP.

Reticent
27-09-2011, 18:00
I just don't think that giving everybody cavalry, or artillery, or magic, or any other basic option necessitates lack of army differentiation. That claim (one made frequently on Warseer, including in this thread) is just silly.

The fact that aesthetically similar units can be differentiated by mechanics doesn't mean that units should be aesthetically similar. I rather suspect that from the views of army collecting or model sales different factions should be as visually and thematically distinct as possible, even though high quality game-play doesn't require such dissimilarity.

I'm okay with Ogres and Dwarfs foregoing horses and Wood Elves lacking gunpowder weapons, for example.

RanaldLoec
27-09-2011, 18:22
The warp rat is warhammer forge and falls into the warbeast category and is being created for monstrous arcana.

A pure storm of magic warhammer forge supplement.

It's far from being Skaven cavalry.

Gwyddyon
27-09-2011, 18:22
The fact that aesthetically similar units can be differentiated by mechanics doesn't mean that units should be aesthetically similar. I rather suspect that from the views of army collecting or model sales different factions should be as visually and thematically distinct as possible, even though high quality game-play doesn't require such dissimilarity.

I'm okay with Ogres and Dwarfs foregoing horses and Wood Elves lacking gunpowder weapons, for example.

You're right - the fact that mechanics can differentiate does not mean that aesthetics should be similar. But the fact that mechanics can differentiate is my point. Aesthetics and mechanics can differ in a multitude of ways, ways which are not bound by a direct correlation between aesthetics and mechanics - it doesn't have to be in this one particular way as some are suggesting. I'm not saying that Dwarves should have horses or Wood Elves should have mortars. I'm simply saying that giving Dwarves horses doesn't mean that they must inevitably play and look exactly like any other army that has horses. That's it.

RanaldLoec
27-09-2011, 18:26

Thanks ghost its appreciated.

yabbadabba
27-09-2011, 18:32
Its beginning to sound like a bit of a theme - maybe a release to coincide with a store based mimi-campaign?

Darnok
27-09-2011, 19:05
Another birdy sings:

Plastic War alter kit which only makes a war altar, but a war altar that can be either of Morr, Sigmar or Ulric.

New Monstrous Cavalry, possibly Demigriffons, which comes with separate saddles and harnesses, so they can also be used as bound monsters in SOM without conversion.

loveless
27-09-2011, 19:25
War Altar of Morr?

Sold. :D

Deff Mekz
27-09-2011, 19:33
War Altar of Morr?

Sold. :D

I guess it'll be skullerific. :shifty:

Deff

ihavetoomuchminis
27-09-2011, 19:34
Me too.

And VC come in January. Believe it or not. :D

Reticent
27-09-2011, 19:39
Interesting they seem with emphasizing different deities in the actual game-play rules. That's almost always an approach they've reserved for Chaos.

Can I be the first to make an "Empire Undivided" joke?

ghost21
27-09-2011, 19:46
Another birdy sings:
ive heard that too.. just that theres 2 kits one makes a multi version of an altar the other a wagon

the priests do have some interesting abilities.. morr are very anti undead...sigmar as you know and ulric are frothing loonies

Deff Mekz
27-09-2011, 19:46
I wonder if the new Warrior Priests will keep there bound spells, but will have different spells for each type of priest.

Deff

BorderKing
27-09-2011, 19:52
I don't trust Ghost21. Not after the promise of bears. :cries:

Deff Mekz
27-09-2011, 19:58
Was there any need for that. I don't trust a certain fantasy rumour mongerer who made a lot of stuff up, and I'm sure him and his shoe box are very happy, but I don't go flaming him. Thankyou Ghost for your rumours.

Deff

Kyte
27-09-2011, 20:00
I don't trust Ghost21. Not after the promise of bears. :cries:

what promise of bears? Didn't Ghost 21 have some pretty accurate contributions to the OK rumour discussion?

BorderKing
27-09-2011, 20:08
Ghost is pretty reliable 99% of the time.

El Antiguo Guardián
27-09-2011, 20:28
Me too.

Yeah? Do you confirm that?

TsukeFox
27-09-2011, 20:38
Man make that birdy sing about some wood elf goodies.

War alter of Morr-??
Pretty cool-let us hope they white dwarf in the rules.

Skullking
27-09-2011, 20:42
I'm really digging this 'everyone gets a large cavalry, everyone gets a big THING (monster, machine, etc..)', it really makes the game more FANTASY, and more fun for me, plus I love all the monsters.

Scammel
27-09-2011, 20:47
Didn't Ghost 21 have some pretty accurate contributions to the OK rumour discussion?

I'm not trying to attack him, but no, he didn't. He made some early contributions which he may have had every reason to beleive to be true, but turned out to be inaccurate.

ghost21
27-09-2011, 20:48
what promise of bears? Didn't Ghost 21 have some pretty accurate contributions to the OK rumour discussion?

thats cool, i mean i can only tell you what i see n hear.... yes im wrong some of the time.. n i only see things in a certain part of the process

tbh im just waiting for the demiurg thing to apea.. oops thats 40k...

i was wrong about bears and a gnoblar charecter (hero).... i apologize if in anyway that upset anybody

oh and dont think of marks with gods its just like if you have a sigmarite priest in a unit of knights of sigmars blood x happens

Student
27-09-2011, 20:48
I'm liking the sound of all these rumours Particularly the warrior priests for gods other than Sigmar.

loveless
27-09-2011, 20:50
Yeah? Do you confirm that?

Seconded.

If someone confirms VC for January, I'll go order a Terrorgheist right now (or when I get home from work...)

BRETELF
27-09-2011, 20:59
Me too.

I think we will all believe this when pigs fly!

ghost21
27-09-2011, 21:01
i think january is a major 40k release, sorry

Sedekiel
27-09-2011, 21:38
It is nice getting empire a bit more fantasy again..welcome changes

Ferox21
27-09-2011, 21:55

So, since i believe it is at 90% certain that we will see Necrons in November it could be February until the next big Fantasy release (i think December will still be the month without any major release). And Januarywe could see something more for 40k, as ghost said. I doubt it will be a new codex, but some larger models for older armies (eg. new imperial tanks, tyranid monsters, DE Bomber).

Basically it should be clear that there will be quite some time passing until we see the new empire stuff...

sasheep
27-09-2011, 22:07
Awesome! The different priests sound great, I hope the models follow the VC trend of being awesome! The preistess is so very tempting epsecially when combined with the blazing sun upgrade *starts dreaming about a crusading empire army*. The other things sound pretty cool as well especially the wagon. Even though I'm rather looking forward to this a part of me is really sad that WE aren't getting any love. Oh well I'm sure they will make up for it by making some good models for this release.

Subexarch
27-09-2011, 22:35
Oh well I'm sure they will make up for it by making some good models for this release.

Ooohhh.... We Wood Elves are going to grind our foes into the turf with our monsterous cavalry thingys and huge giant whatsits!!!

Gabacho Mk.II
27-09-2011, 22:38
I'm really digging this 'everyone gets a large cavalry, everyone gets a big THING (monster, machine, etc..)', it really makes the game more FANTASY, and more fun for me, plus I love all the monsters.

In a nutshell this is what the majority of us strongly believe. :)

ihavetoomuchminis
27-09-2011, 22:48

That's not what i've been told by what i would call "reliable sources", but we'll see :D.

yabbadabba
27-09-2011, 22:54
If November is a 40K release then January should be a WFB release.

Rosstifer
27-09-2011, 23:04
In fairness, Fantasy has (rightly so, it's the flagship game) had 3 Armybooks, an Expansion, Waves, and a Boardgame set in it's universe. 40k has had a Codex and 2 Waves (?). Anything else?
I won't mind too much if there isn't a major Fantasy release till February.

selone
27-09-2011, 23:37
Thanks for all the rumours, exciting times :)

Kyte
28-09-2011, 00:28
Man make that birdy sing about some wood elf goodies.

I'm not sure about anything, but there's been lots of talk about stag Monstrous Cavalry and a plastic treeman...

Hochdorf
28-09-2011, 01:45
I've been waiting for years for new knights before I start collecting Empire. I guess I'll keep waiting. :(

Rikka Rakka
28-09-2011, 04:48
I expect we will see rules for Marius Leitdorf. They have a beautiful model that at the moment is just a stand in for a General of the Empire. So it's a no brainer I think. I hope so anyway, I like Marius.

Tancred II von Quenelles
28-09-2011, 05:15
and the other 3 electors are welcome as well
especially Aldebrand

Sicarius the 2nd
28-09-2011, 05:16
I very much doubt there will be new knights to be honest, it was only a bit ago GW brought out the Blazing Sun upgrade pack for the knights. I like the guys, the horses just need some tlc to make them look good!
Andy

Zestyfork
28-09-2011, 05:24
In relation to the new army book release, a friend showed my these images from a different forum website.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6163/6182424650_2265dd42d2_b.jpg

Perhaps this could be a sample of something?

eldargal
28-09-2011, 05:25
I think that is a page from Throne of Tamurkhan.

Yrrdead
28-09-2011, 05:26
In relation to the new army book release, a friend showed my these images from a different forum website.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6163/6182424650_2265dd42d2_b.jpg

Perhaps this could be a sample of something?

That is from the Tamurkhan Forge World book.

<Ninja'd>By a girl , how embarrassing.</Ninja'd>

Zestyfork
28-09-2011, 05:28
Ok, thanks for telling me, sorry about that.

Mr. Ultra
28-09-2011, 07:31
No new knights? No new empire for me. :shifty:

Urgat
28-09-2011, 07:36
In fairness, Fantasy has (rightly so, it's the flagship game) had 3 Armybooks, an Expansion, Waves, and a Boardgame set in it's universe. 40k has had a Codex and 2 Waves (?). Anything else?
I won't mind too much if there isn't a major Fantasy release till February.

Well, that is a bit of balancing for 10 years of mainly 40k :p (I might be a bit biaised, but it really felt that way to me...). 2011 is a sucky year in many, many real life ways, but it was a good year for fantasy indeed.

ihavetoomuchminis
28-09-2011, 07:50
Well, that is a bit of balancing for 10 years of mainly 40k :p (I might be a bit biaised, but it really felt that way to me...). 2011 is a sucky year in many, many real life ways, but it was a good year for fantasy indeed.

If you're biased, i'm biased too, because i feel the same.

I play 40k, and i like it, but it has been too much.

SkawtheFalconer
28-09-2011, 09:02
I'm not sure about anything, but there's been lots of talk about stag Monstrous Cavalry and a plastic treeman...

Plastic treeman was Hastings, I believe, so is fairly reliable (not to cast doubt on Hastings, the only doubt would come from whether GW decided to release it or not) - he didn't give (or offer an opinion on) a release date, although my guess would be it will be released seperately from the army book, like the Terrorgheist.

The Stag Knights I am less confident of. Another posted pointed out it is more than likely a sneaky joke in the SoM book (stag night? Geddit?) - I don't know if that translates into models.

But back to the Empire! I'm interested in the War Altar options - just as I'd bought components to make a WoC Warshrine as well... :mad:

Morkash
28-09-2011, 09:02
New knights were mentioned, I hope it's true. Given that, I like the current knights, but this maybe because I play Dogs of War, who ride no other horses. :)

Night Bearer
28-09-2011, 14:15
Isn't next year supposed to be the release of the new edition of 40k?

If so, they may not do a whole lot of 40k releases between now and next summer/fall, when presumably the new edition comes out and the rest of the year is dominated by 40k. So could be possible for a couple more WHFB releases/waves to get out the door beforehand.

(Assuming I'm anywhere near remembering this correctly)

theJ
28-09-2011, 14:33

If so, they may not do a whole lot of 40k releases between now and next summer/fall, when presumably the new edition comes out and the rest of the year is dominated by 40k. So could be possible for a couple more WHFB releases/waves to get out the door beforehand.

Depends on who you ask.
Early(ish) rumours have adamantly claimed that Tau and Necrons (and sisters, but we did kinda get those) were supposed to get their new codices this autumn.
Personally I questioned this, as giving releases just before an edition-shift is generally a bad thing (either the codices are outdated in just a few months, or if they're adapted to the new ruleset, they'll make no sense on release).
Either GW agrees with me, or I've just been lucky, as all we've got since GKs is the sister whitedex.

In essence, the closer we get to 6th, the lower the odds of new 40K codices get (waves are still just as likely, though). This ought to open up quite a few more slots for fantasy books, including november.

As always, I could be wrong. That my theory has held this far could be a fluke, or GW could re-prioritise. Nontheless, I feel it's worth keeping in mind.

EDIT: Bummer! On reading through this, I've noticed I've made the exact same point you did, although possibly with a few more words... oh, well...

Zakusmaximus
28-09-2011, 17:02
ummm Empire rumours??

Rikka Rakka
28-09-2011, 17:21
This is Warseer. Rumour thread starts, people talk about rumours, then some people bitch, then people bitch about people bitching, then it goes off topic, then the thread is closed. It's all part of the rumour process.

I personally am very happy to see Sigmar's Heirs on the horizon. I would have thought replacing the Knights would be a no brainer, but the potential of an 'Inner Circle' style kit would allow people to do as they wished. I hope that's true.

Most interesting to me though are the God specific Warrior Priests. Somebody at GW HQ is listening to some of what we say.

One thing, I hope the Nuln siege cannon doesn't say 'Nuln' all over it. I don't like Nuln as a province and would like a chance to model/paint it like it's from a different place.

Zakusmaximus
28-09-2011, 18:08
This is Warseer. Rumour thread starts, people talk about rumours, then some people bitch, then people bitch about people bitching, then it goes off topic, then the thread is closed. It's all part of the rumour process.

I personally am very happy to see Sigmar's Heirs on the horizon. I would have thought replacing the Knights would be a no brainer, but the potential of an 'Inner Circle' style kit would allow people to do as they wished. I hope that's true.

Most interesting to me though are the God specific Warrior Priests. Somebody at GW HQ is listening to some of what we say.

One thing, I hope the Nuln siege cannon doesn't say 'Nuln' all over it. I don't like Nuln as a province and would like a chance to model/paint it like it's from a different place.

hahahahaha ....

scarletsquig
28-09-2011, 18:09

Don't worry, it will probably have KARL FRANZ embossed on it in big letters that you'll have to dremel off... plus a few hundred skullz :D

sasheep
28-09-2011, 18:12

Yeah but when you look back at last year when 8th came out we had very little fantasy besides the new rule stuff. There was beastmen, then 8th then the IoB and a HE wave I think (please correct me if I am wrong here). Can't remember what 40K had though (other than DE) so it may have been a slow year there too. If that is the case then it will be necrons in November (rumoured), no specific army release in Dec (following the past few years), fantasy army in Jan (or maybe a wave like the skaven this year) 40K release in Feb (like it was with beastmen) with another fantasy in March. Is there time before a new edition for another army. Before 8th we had a bunch of LoTR stuff didn't we?

I had completely forgotten Marius Leitdorf didn't have rules. Fingers crossed he is in, I love that model! It has soo much character.

Korraz
28-09-2011, 19:23
Don't worry, it will probably have KARL FRANZ embossed on it in big letters that you'll have to dremel off... plus a few hundred skullz :D

What was the record for skulls again? 128?
Can't wait to see if the cannon beats that. :rolleyes:

Jedi152
28-09-2011, 22:06

I'm still annoyed they embossed Marius Leitdorf's name onto his horses armour.

Gekiganger
29-09-2011, 01:26

Don't get me started on that, second favorite empire model after the hero with the hammer and beard, alas, I've always been a fan of stirland so I've never made the purchase.

Maskedman5oh4
29-09-2011, 03:10

To me, his horse looks about to be spooked and throw him...

loveless
29-09-2011, 13:38
To me, his horse looks about to be spooked and throw him...

...which would be the fitting response if freaking Marius Leitdorf were riding you :p

As to the name-embossed thing, I'm betting that will be a lot easier to remove once he transitions to Finecast.

Eddie Chaos
29-09-2011, 13:59
A new Karl Franz would be nice.

and maybe a mounted wizard.

Liber
29-09-2011, 14:23
So...no dwarfs :cries:

WE, Bretts and Dwarfs need it more than any other army (VC just got 4 new kits in the last few months, although the overpriced skellies/zombies is a pain i understand.)

I wouldn't be upset if WE and Bretts were slated next (even though it would push dwarfs back by a year at the least) but hearing that it's VC and Empire feels extremely...unjust.

But hey, the world isn't fair, as anyone older than 12 should realize, so i'll end this post here :evilgrin:

Souppilgrim
29-09-2011, 18:33
A new Karl Franz would be nice.

and maybe a mounted wizard.

Both are needed pretty badly. I reaaaally wish that they would look at the concept art for Karl Franz from Warhammer Online. It's just awesome. Would sell like hotcakes if they did one like that.

ihavetoomuchminis
29-09-2011, 23:36
Why do people want a new Karl Franz? I prefer to have generic models rather than special characters. It would be better if they release a griffon mounted hero.

O&G'sRule
29-09-2011, 23:57
Well as Warhammer Forge say that pretty much all books they do will contain empire as they see them as fantasy's space marines(spit) I guess it makes sense to iron out any issues there might be th the current book and create a better harmony. I might just think its time for my collection to get some humies in it

LotusCorgi
30-09-2011, 01:24
The old KF model is so iconic to WHFB. But even if a new model is released it is likely that the classic model would still be available. That means one of the models becomes a great generic lord model. Hrmm looking at the GW shop can't tell if the model is holding the hammer or a runefang....

Harry
30-09-2011, 04:02
The old KF model is so iconic to WHFB. But even if a new model is released it is likely that the classic model would still be available. That means one of the models becomes a great generic lord model. Hrmm looking at the GW shop can't tell if the model is holding the hammer or a runefang....I think they did a number on Karl Franz around the storm of Chaos and remade him with a choice of hands so you could build him with either the sword or the hammer. (because he gave Valten the hammer)

Why do people want a new Karl Franz? I prefer to have generic models rather than special characters. It would be better if they release a griffon mounted hero.
I think maybe I heard something about a generic lord/hero on a griffon that could 'pass' as Karl Franz if it had to. (But I can't remember where I heard that so I am not 100%)

Cypher
30-09-2011, 06:21
Out of curiosity, is there any likelihood that the "non-human" elements might return? Ogres, Giants, Halflings, that sort of thing? Like a bit of variety in my armies...

Valaraukar
30-09-2011, 07:03
I think maybe I heard something about a generic lord/hero on a griffon that could 'pass' as Karl Franz if it had to. (But I can't remember where I heard that so I am not 100%)

Now I feel bad for taking the hero on griffon and giving him a weapon swap with valten! Works for me but not as ornate as you'd imagine KF would be.

Astraeos
30-09-2011, 20:56
Did Empire have Giants once? I know Dwarves, Halflings and Ogres were around.

If these rumours of Demigryphs, God specific Warrior Priests and a new female special character pan out then I may just end up collecting Empire after all!
I've been finding myself looking their way and researching Ostland, the black and white seems easy enough to paint and quick to do.

Wishing
30-09-2011, 21:45
Did Empire have Giants once? I know Dwarves, Halflings and Ogres were around.

No giants to my knowledge. I remember reading (what I assume was) the original rules for the Empire army in a white dwarf many years ago, and they had halflings as part of the list and could use allied dwarves. I don't remember ogres in there anywhere though... but definitely no giants. Their monsters all came from the Imperial Zoo and were the usual griffons and dragons we know.

yabbadabba
30-09-2011, 21:49
Don't forget Empire could have a giant under the old Dogs of War rules.

Astraeos
30-09-2011, 21:52
OK, thanks for the info. To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if Giants were to turn up in the Empire army.
There's a storm of chaos illustration of a HUGE Empire cannon, and there was a giant standing next to the barrel holding a cannonball!
And in the rulebook, on the page demonstrating a selection targets in cover, said targets are an Empire army, and amongst them is a Giant.

I'm not saying it'll happen, but it won't surprise me if it does. After all, Giants do wander everywhere!

ghost21
30-09-2011, 22:18
OK, thanks for the info. To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if Giants were to turn up in the Empire army.
There's a storm of chaos illustration of a HUGE Empire cannon, and there was a giant standing next to the barrel holding a cannonball!
And in the rulebook, on the page demonstrating a selection targets in cover, said targets are an Empire army, and amongst them is a Giant.

I'm not saying it'll happen, but it won't surprise me if it does. After all, Giants do wander everywhere!

i think the cannon was named as the wolfs head?... the nuln cannon is big think as big as the ogre models / arachnoroc (and unfortunately the mock up i saw had nuln plastered on the front)

6mmhero
30-09-2011, 22:44
With Warhammer Forge dripfeeding Empire releases and talk of a War Altar Im a happy bunny. I have my empire sitting around just begging for an excuse to be rolled out and updated for 8th.

Lathrael
01-10-2011, 14:47
Give me teutagen guards and white wolves then gw can take my money.

Aluinn
01-10-2011, 16:02
Have any of our rumormongers heard anything about witch hunters? They're often pretty prominent in the background material that centers on the Empire, so it's always surprised me that they don't appear in the army list.

Daniel36
01-10-2011, 16:12
All of the rumour tidbits I have heard so far all make me really, really sad.

I opted for a Marienburg army when I first started my Empire army because the current book is rather vanilla and it didn't really matter.

Now all of a sudden there is news of all these really awesome themed miniatures, such as a Morr War Altar and Priests of tons of different deities where there used to be pretty much just one?

I chose the wrong theme... :(

Or I have to build two different Empire armies. Either way... It is a lose lose situation for my wallet.

What I am saying is I am really excited about all this. Seriously, I think Fantasy is entering a great era after 7th ed.

DivineVisitor
01-10-2011, 18:13

I opted for a Marienburg army when I first started my Empire army because the current book is rather vanilla and it didn't really matter.

Now all of a sudden there is news of all these really awesome themed miniatures, such as a Morr War Altar and Priests of tons of different deities where there used to be pretty much just one?

Or I have to build two different Empire armies. Either way... It is a lose lose situation for my wallet.

What I am saying is I am really excited about all this. Seriously, I think Fantasy is entering a great era after 7th ed.

Just adapt your theme or adapt the unit entry to suit your needs :)
e.g. my current War Altar isn't totting around the Golden Griffon. It's the remains of an ancient ruined church with a bell ringing the sound of doom for the Empire's enemies being pulled into battle!

Korraz
01-10-2011, 18:28

To be fair, the other gods always were there. You only had to use them. :angel:
As somebody that builds a halberdier horde called "Morrs Knechte", a Priest of Morr is, of course, great news.

Travis4
01-10-2011, 18:49
As someone was saying earlier, Empire does seem to get an awful lot of "one shot" sculpts.. and in short order they go oop...

Just last year at GD Baltimore, I won the storm of chaos middenheim army at the carnival of chaos... I didn't even know what those teutogen guard models were...

Korraz
01-10-2011, 20:05
That's both true and sad. Fantasy SoC happened before I really went into Warhammer, and the only miniature of that time I ever managed to track down was Ar-Ulric.

Morkash
01-10-2011, 20:30
Which is a shame, given that the Teutogen Guard are amongst the best humans GW have ever produced, imo. They have beards, wear plate armour which looks like plate armour and have hammers!

Korraz
01-10-2011, 21:08
I just looked those guys up. It's funny, I was planning something similar for my excess Greatswords, with the White Wolf bits. I agree wholeheartedly, they are awesome and deserve to be brought back.

Okuto
01-10-2011, 21:16
I just want a warrior priest kit.....not all of us follow Sigmar....it's annoying to scrap sigmar off my troops.

Looking forward to war alter, personally I'd love to have Kislev stuff back....

I also hate the current state troops but that ain't happening anytime soon.

Private_SeeD
01-10-2011, 21:17
i jsr did a quick read throu all 11 pages, I'm lovin' all the rumours so far. It would be a shame that GW will have overlooked certain armies thou.

Vazalaar
02-10-2011, 16:10
I hope they re-release Teutogen Guard in finecast.:)

mweaver
02-10-2011, 17:29
I would love to see them re-released. I picked up a blister at a reasonable price recently to use in a Middenheimer warband for Mordheim, but in general they are quite dear to purchase now, and I would not mind having enough for a proper unit.

I collect at least some figures from all of the armies, but Empire is my favorite, and I am very much looking forward to what they release next.

Harry
02-10-2011, 17:42
Lots of folks keep mentioning Kislev stuff.

I was chatting away to a guy who would be my first pick to write the Empire book about how much I liked the original Empire with the mix of Halflings and Dwarves and so on. We were talking about how it first appeared in WD spread over a couple of issues. Happy days. :D

... and he casually threw into the conversation about kislev Horse archers.

I honestly couldn't tell if he was throwing me a bone or a red herring and I didn't push it as I don't like putting any of these guys on the spot these days where they have to apologise and say they can't talk about things. There all such nice guys.

I have to say it has got so bloody silly now that it is hard to have a genuine casual conversation they are all so on their guard not to let anything slip.

But I guess my point is if there is someone writing the book with the notion of writing back in some of the old fun stuff like Halflings and the friction between Ulric and Sigmar then why wouldn't they throw in some Kislev stuff.

I remember there was a solid bit of fluff about an 'agreement' where the City of the White Wolf had loaned a regiment of White Wolf knights to Kislev in exchange for a contingent of 30 horse archers. I remember this because I bought 30 Horse archers. :D

Who knows ...

But if Ulric is back in as a solid theme for an army ..... I shall bake him pie myself. :D

MrCarbohydrate
02-10-2011, 17:47
So, reading through this thread's page 7, I'm anticipating a new flame wizard.

/humour.

Also, as much as I would like to see Kislev back, they better have rules for Winged Lancers on Barded horses because dammit I've already converted 30 of them lol

Tancred II von Quenelles
02-10-2011, 17:49
lancers with not barded horsemen I d say)

Tancred II von Quenelles
02-10-2011, 17:50
can the female charecter be Tzarina if Kislev comes back?

theJ
02-10-2011, 17:51
can the female charecter be Tzarina if Kislev comes back?

Wasn't the rumour that she was a Warrior-priestess of Myrmidia?

Tancred II von Quenelles
02-10-2011, 17:54
it was a rumor - I d be glad if Kislev is back - better then demigriff knights anyway
If they do different priests its an ideal opportunity for different special rules for knightly orders as well...

yabbadabba
02-10-2011, 18:02
There is a danger this Empire book will end up being something that gets every other player moaning their behinds off!

The key issue is with models. Most are easy but the key kits are the Knights and the Greatswords. These more than any other unit need to be as felxible as possible so you would have Knights of differing sorts, and Greatswords that could be Teutogen and Reiksguard on foot. These could reflect any differing rules created for the different Warrior Priests or provinces (like Marienburg). Having these in plastic would then allow space for Finecast Kislevites.

I would like to see halflings back. Its taken me a while to get round to this but seriously, Halflings cannot appear anywhere else and they are a fundamental part of Empire background. However Dwarves and Ogres are for me a little different.With GW ringfencing IP (see loss of DoW), I can't see them making it back in but expect lots of references towards big battles with them in - after all WFB is going to go Apoc at some point.

I would like Dwarves to have spears again though :cheese:

Finally having scrtach built one and owning the original, I'd like to see War Wagons back in.

SunTzu
02-10-2011, 18:09
I'd like to see Dwarfs in the Empire book. They're supposed to be about 10% of the population of the Empire, aren't they? But not one of them fights in the Empire army?

Halflings I don't see as being particularly militarily inclined, but if they are to appear anywhere, the Empire list is the only place for them. (I certainly don't understand why they were in the DoW list. One RoR of Croops', fine. As a special choice? Silly).

yabbadabba
02-10-2011, 18:11
I'd like to see Dwarfs in the Empire book. They're supposed to be about 10% of the population of the Empire, aren't they? But not one of them fights in the Empire army? Gw would have to come up with some sort of reingfenced IP way of ensuring that the Imperial Dwarfs are different from the normal ones. TBH it would be easier just to have them as allies from the Dwarf army book.

Boreas_NL
02-10-2011, 18:17
If the new Empire book will include Halflings, the Halfling Hot Pot should make a re-appearance...

Exciting rumours, can't wait to see what will prove true!

stashman
02-10-2011, 18:36
Halflings as Mootland Militia armed with shortbow or spear, shield and light armour. M4, WS2, BS4, S2, T2, A1, I5, Ld 8. Forest Strider, Skirmishers

Korraz
02-10-2011, 18:57
I simply can't see a new Greatsword Kit with the options. They are simply too new and too good. However, they could make them interchangeable with a new knight kit.
And Halflings are great. As are Ogres. And imperial dwarfs. You don't even NEED something special to set them apart. Decent armored, T4 infantry would be unique enough in the book. Well, sure, many of these choices would be redundant, but I like the vision of an extremely diverse race-crucible book, an image of what the Empire is. Hell, you could even bring Elves back. It would also help the Bretons, since it would set them apart as "pure" human army.

mweaver
02-10-2011, 20:02
My wife would certainly be very happy if Kislev reappeared with new models. She is a big fan of the Eastern-European look.

Tokamak
02-10-2011, 20:14
I imagine imperial dwarves to be light/leather armoured.

Wishing
02-10-2011, 21:42
I was chatting away to a guy who would be my first pick to write the Empire book about how much I liked the original Empire with the mix of Halflings and Dwarves and so on. We were talking about how it first appeared in WD spread over a couple of issues. Happy days. :D

I think I still have those issues somewhere. I really liked the format of all the descriptions, artwork and models, it was just really well designed.

LaughinGremlin
03-10-2011, 01:19
I think I still have those issues somewhere. I really liked the format of all the descriptions, artwork and models, it was just really well designed.

Agreed. Various prayers for various priests excites me ALMOST as much as a return to the "good ol' days" of Halflings and Kislev. Wouldn't that be cool if the new War wagon becomes Kislev themed, like the one in the Warmaster Kislev army? Well, depending on tastes, that can be a conversion to be either Imperial or Kislev in appearance. Actually, a Halfling soup kitchen would be "the way to go." I can understand if ogres don't return to an Empire list of course, since the advent of an ogre army.

eldargal
03-10-2011, 05:36
I'm not sure I want to see Kislev in an Empire book to be honest, either give them their own book, some kind of general Allies supplement for minor nations, or leave them out. Don't get me wrong, I love Kislev stuff and I won't complain if they are in the book, it just seems a little out of place.

loveless
03-10-2011, 14:14
In my opinion, halflings and other non-humans are fine in the Empire book...just keep them out of the battalion. The Empire is typically what I think of when the concept of humans in Warhammer (though like most fantastical humans, they call on various allies and races when the need arises).

I like that the Fantasy is a bit downplayed in the Empire - with a bit higher focus on engineering madness and religious zealotry. I'm not sure if some of these steps are going to be positive or negative when I finally see them, but as long as an all-human army is still playable, I won't complain.

Honestly I sort of wish they'd redo the state troops. I like them well enough and I don't mind the bling, but the detail is so incoherent - they're more chaotic than Chaos troops in their decor. I wish the Manaan's Blades set was cheaper - that's still ridiculous without looking like a pain to paint.

SunTzu
03-10-2011, 14:21
I'd like to see Kislev separate, Halflings and Dwarfs in the book but only in very limited numbers, and Ogres not in the book.

Kislev have their own army so should have their own (current) list (please GW!); Halflings and Dwarfs live in the Empire so would help out in times of need but you'll never see a Halfling army and there already exists a Dwarf army list, and Ogres within the Empire tend to be bodyguards more often than soldiers per se; Ogres as soldiers would be mercenaries, and more suited for DoW than the Empire as such.

And the current State Troop models are awful IMO.

rodmillard
03-10-2011, 19:08
I'd be happy if there were enough Kislev options to run a legal Kislev army out of the empire book - even if we are talking in terms of the units from the 6th ed supplement + some judicious use of "counts as" (like Woodsmen).

We probably won't even get that, but it would be nice...

Spiney Norman
03-10-2011, 22:32
I simply can't see a new Greatsword Kit with the options. They are simply too new and too good. However, they could make them interchangeable with a new knight kit.
And Halflings are great. As are Ogres. And imperial dwarfs. You don't even NEED something special to set them apart. Decent armored, T4 infantry would be unique enough in the book. Well, sure, many of these choices would be redundant, but I like the vision of an extremely diverse race-crucible book, an image of what the Empire is. Hell, you could even bring Elves back. It would also help the Bretons, since it would set them apart as "pure" human army.

That would be an absolute dream, and something they did well with Dark Eldar. KotWW heads and hammers with the knight kit mixable with greatswords to give you teutogen guard on foot and Knights of the everlasting light on horseback or just about any combination of elite infantry/cavalry look you wanted would be great.

DeathlessDraich
04-10-2011, 09:42
Going by the actual rumours Darnok posted, there are new models. Everyone's still assuming a new army book is just over the horizon. I'm still awaiting for some concrete rumours to support this. So far I've seen none.

shabbadoo
04-10-2011, 09:57
War altar makes something else, but afaik it's not a cannon of any kind.
Structurally, there is only one kit that is similar to the old War Altar, and that is the old War Wagon. That could work as a dual kit well enough I guess.

Vazalaar
04-10-2011, 10:06
Going by the actual rumours Darnok posted, there are new models. Everyone's still assuming a new army book is just over the horizon. I'm still awaiting for some concrete rumours to support this. So far I've seen none.

I think we will see first a mini update + WD (same as VC) rules and after a 6-12 months we will see a new Empire army book.

I hope we will see this in november and than in january a new armybook for VC.

Wishing
04-10-2011, 12:51
Structurally, there is only one kit that is similar to the old War Altar, and that is the old War Wagon. That could work as a dual kit well enough I guess.

I think so too - a tall frame with wheels pulled by horses, and then either a fortification with a team of warriors or an altar with a priest and acolytes, depending on which model you wanted to build. Sounds ideal.

Superdan21
04-10-2011, 17:24
All things considered I doubt highly that their will be many new plastic kits for the empire, judging by the fact that Wood Elves, Bretonnians and Dwarfs are all older than the Empire and WE and Brets are in dire need of an update. I imagine judging by the fact that there is not a finecast warrior priest set of any sort they will likely bring out a plastic warrior priest set, and seeing as Gw these days very rarely do a new plastic kit for something they already have, i mean other than Dark Eldar i can't think of any plastic set in the last few years that has been replaced with new set (maybe updates and addition to the sprue, god knows i'd love raised spears/halberds arms)

still this is gw we're talking about a company which makes the most bizzare choices, certainly can't see a new army book till at the earliest xmas next year, would love a new war alter

shabbadoo
04-10-2011, 19:35
Don't be too sure. Anything that could go plastic, or be added to go plastic, can go plastic. The potential list is quite large: War Altar/Wagon, big Imperial Dragon of awesomeness, Karl Franz on Deathclaw, returning units like Halflings/Ogres/Dwarfs, Reiksguard Knights on foot, Teutogen Guard, Kislev Horse Archers, Kislev Knights, Kislev Infantry. I may have left something out. I know a friend of mine would love to see an Empire Wizard 2 kit that covers the other Colleges, and I am sure he is not alone in wishing for that. That's a lot of potential kits right there.

Basically, when a new army book comes out, anything could(and likely will) come out in support of it, as army books usually don't get released with a whimper. It is about selling miniatures after all, not books.

Gabacho Mk.II
04-10-2011, 22:57
Any rumors concerning Pikes?

druchii7
05-10-2011, 00:26
don't expect so... unfortunately

LaughinGremlin
05-10-2011, 00:57
Why does GW refuse to put pike formations with handgun detachments? Even with Dogs of War, one could only get crossbows alongside pikes, and they weren't detachments. Do they think it would be too powerful? It would be like a more realistic "New Model Army". Bring pikes into the empire BEFORE more advanced things like mechanical steeds. Yes, I KNOW it's a fantasy game. I just want everything RETURNED to us that we already had - even if it is condensing it all into one army.