PDA

View Full Version : 2k Orcs

Smudge the Ignored
26-09-2011, 15:07
Hi all, I need a little help. I'm about to head off to a tourney and need a competative, but still fun to play Orcs and Goblins list. My problem is that I've not played much fantasy recently (within the last year to 18 months) and need some perspective. Here's what I'm thinking of so far but I'm not sure how competative it might be.

Orc Warboss: Wyvern, Battle Axe of the Last Waagh! -375
Orc Shaman: Level 2, Dispell Scroll, Chanelling Staff -140
Orc Big Boss: Basha's Axe of Stunty Smashin' - 105
Black Orc Big Boss: Battle Standard (War Banner) -150
Night Goblin Shaman: Iron Curse Rune - 55

60 Night Goblins: Spears, Shields, nets, musician, standard, boss, 3 fanatics -330
25 Orc Boyz: Additional Choppa's, Musician, Standard, Boss -210
5 Wolf Boys: Short Bows -55

20 Black Orcs: Musician, Standard, Boss, Shields -295
Orc Boar Chariot -85

Giant -200

2000 pts exactly

Would this be considered competative? I'm a little reticent about not having any war machines and with only 3 fanatics is it worth having any? This is not the be all and end all of my Orc army I can change any and all of this so any suggestions would be welcome.

zielonkak
26-09-2011, 17:59
hey im still getting used to the 8th edition rules too, and when i played in 7th, i primarly used orcs...i have found that orcs work best in big blocks, almost horde'ish'.
and with the new 8th edition style of play, big blocks went from 25-30 orcs to around 40 orcs in each unit....i used to run atleast 3 blocks of 30 orcs with double choppas in a 1500 to 2000 point game, so now i would look at 3-4 40 orc blocks....just my opinion...i like the two large monsters for this list too, but i would consider droping one of the orc bosses, and maybe adding another mage and in my opinion i would add a spear chucka or two...but i like the big monsters for the flanks

Smudge the Ignored
26-09-2011, 20:32
At 945pts 3 blocks of 40 boys with additional choppas and full command leaves very little room for much else. Add in the Giant and the Warboss on Wyvern and you only have 480 points to by Shamans, BSB, and supporting units which is not really enough.

I suppose if I want Bolt Throwers it would be in exchange for the Chariot, which is do-able

zielonkak
26-09-2011, 21:59
in my opinion and previous matches....945 points for a 120 toughness 4 troops with two attacks at strength 4 is great....u could even go with 2 blocks of the 40 and keep the chariot, or add a block of gobos....and keep the bsb and the mage... either way, the orcs are worth it in my opinion...having 3 blocks of orcs a wyvern and a giant are going to keep shooty armies crazy worried, and you could consider dropping the giant or the wyvern and add a unit of boar riders or even trolls or dragon ogers to add a punch too....either way, the number of characters are little importance when you have overall numbers with the orcs....imo...

zielonkak
26-09-2011, 22:00
u could get away with a fighty hero, a level two mage and and bsb...or even two gobo mages...and keep it cheap...its an option atleast

BigbyWolf
27-09-2011, 00:08
Hi all, I need a little help. I'm about to head off to a tourney and need a competative, but still fun to play Orcs and Goblins list. My problem is that I've not played much fantasy recently (within the last year to 18 months) and need some perspective. Here's what I'm thinking of so far but I'm not sure how competative it might be.

Orc Warboss: Wyvern, Battle Axe of the Last Waagh! -375
Orc Shaman: Level 2, Dispell Scroll, Chanelling Staff -140
Orc Big Boss: Basha's Axe of Stunty Smashin' - 105
Black Orc Big Boss: Battle Standard (War Banner) -150
Night Goblin Shaman: Iron Curse Rune - 55

60 Night Goblins: Spears, Shields, nets, musician, standard, boss, 3 fanatics -330
25 Orc Boyz: Additional Choppa's, Musician, Standard, Boss -210
5 Wolf Boys: Short Bows -55

20 Black Orcs: Musician, Standard, Boss, Shields -295
Orc Boar Chariot -85

Giant -200

2000 pts exactly

Would this be considered competative? I'm a little reticent about not having any war machines and with only 3 fanatics is it worth having any? This is not the be all and end all of my Orc army I can change any and all of this so any suggestions would be welcome.

To make it a bit more competitive I'd suggest losing the Wyvern, as much as I love them, they won't help you that much in a tournament situation. Your main block of troops (the NGs) will have a low leadership unless in the Generals bubble, and to keep them in range would mean sacrificing the manoeuvrability of the Wyvern (or it gets shot, and you lose his Ld altogether).

Whenever I play with one at 2K (bear in mind this is non-competitive) I always tone down the Warlords items a bit (my personal build at the moment is Amulet of Preservation, Sword of Anti-heroes and enchanted shield- good protection and decent, if slightly random, offence...and that's not taking the Wyvern into account) and take a level 3 Night Goblin Shaman Lord to give me a bit of a boost in the magic phase. To truly make the army more competitive, I'd suggest dropping the Wyvern and putting the points into a level 4.

For more competitive changes (and assuming a level 4 is taken), I'd drop the Giant, standard Big Boss and Level 2 Orc Shaman and beef up the Orcs and Black Orcs, and perhaps get some trolls or manglers.

Smudge the Ignored
08-10-2011, 12:41
Ok I've play tested a couple of lists and ideas from here and my fb friends and have come up with something a little different yet keeping the heart of this force the same. Again any suggestions would be very welcome so I can play test them out in time for the tourney I need it for.

Orc Warboss: Armour of Gork, Wyvern, Great Weapon 381
Goblin Big Boss: B.S.B Wailing Banner, Light Armour, Shield 114
Orc Shaman: Level 2, Dispel Scroll 125
Night Goblin Shaman: Level 2, Iron Curse Rune 90

24 Orc Boys: Additional Choppas, Full Command 203
58 Night Goblins: Spears, Shields, Full Command, Nets, 3x Fanatics 324
20 Night Goblins: Full Command, 3x Fanatics 165
12 Orc Arrer Boys: 84
5 Wolf Boys: Short Bows 55
5 Wolf Boys: Short Bows 55

Giant 200
Giant 200

Total 1996

Monstrum
08-10-2011, 13:05
you need more bodies... you don't have hard hitting units... in general, this is a good comp orc list:

CHARACTERS
lvl 4 savage orc shaman /w shrunken head
savage orc warboss /w defensive gear
black orc bsb /w defensive gear
lvl1 NG scroll caddy

FIGHTING BLOCKS
60-70 night gobbs /w nets (5-wide anchor)
6-8 trolls (3x2 anchor and hammer)
40 savage orc big uns (horde main hammer)
25-30 black orcs (for monsters/high armor or T)

SUPPORT
1-2 units of 5 wolf riders
2-4 wolf chariots
2 mangler squids
1-2 doom divers