PDA

View Full Version : Goblins and hand weapons

warmong3r
26-09-2011, 19:20
The box of 20 common goblins, not night goblins, comes with spears and shields, bows, but no hand weapons. I'm going to be participating in a tournament early October and i want to use hand weapon and shield for that unit. If my actual models have spears and shields glued on and painted (which they do) am i forbidden to give them hand weapons? Thank you :)

T10
26-09-2011, 19:50
Hi! That would be up to the tournament organizers to decide.

Traditionally it has been considered OK for a unit to count as being equipped with whatever the majority of the models is armed with, thus allowing for a mix of weapons on the models in the unit.

You are welcome.

warmong3r
26-09-2011, 21:01
But what im saying is that the goblins come with hand weapons without purchasing ANY upgrades at all, but there's not even a single hand weapon in the sprue...that doesn't make any sense

Kalandros
26-09-2011, 21:36
But what im saying is that the goblins come with hand weapons without purchasing ANY upgrades at all, but there's not even a single hand weapon in the sprue...that doesn't make any sense

Cause when those AWFUL models were made they didn't include that option. So I'd say its fine to use the models 'as is' (with spears) because the company itself did not include the option to model them 'out of the box' with Hand Weapons.

Tregar
26-09-2011, 21:41
Well, there is actually a single hand weapon in the box, sure, but yeah you'll have to equip them with spears and tell your opponents that while they may look like spears, they#re actually just hand weapons, that happen to have a very long handle. Nobody should complain, as long as you don't take liberties, e.g. don't take two different units of Goblins, one armed with spears and the other without, but both carrying the same weapons.

Personally I did buy as many old goblin models with hand weapon and shield as I could get my hands upon last time I used a unit of goblins with hand weapons and shields, just cos I wanted them. You might get lucky on eBay :)

Andy p
26-09-2011, 21:46
This is a similar situation I found myself in with my common gobs, but I wanted bows and shields, but I came upon a problem which was that A) the shields are ill fitting and completely mess up the ranks and B) even by common goblin standards the shields are just *****.

So far ive managed to get them onto the command group, the other 37 are without however, so I just say they have shields, most people seem to accept it. Dont know about a tournament though.

T10
26-09-2011, 21:50
The simplest solution is to snip off the spear tips and paint the spear hafts metal: That way the Goblins are all armed with lead pipes. Or hand weapons, if you will.

Harwammer
26-09-2011, 21:55
Conversion time!!

Google: goblin hand weapon shield conversion

If you can't be bothered to do an extensive conversion why not snip off most of the bottom part of the spear and remove the pointy bit at the top so the goblins look like they're wielding batons. It will go with the big rectangular shields they have. Use lots of helmets (horns removed), give them a dark blue uniform and call them Da Riot Squad*.

*i'm tempted to steal this idea for my own goblins!

Mr_Rose
26-09-2011, 22:31
Can you steal your own idea? How does that work?

warmong3r
27-09-2011, 01:08
Conversion time!!

Google: goblin hand weapon shield conversion

If you can't be bothered to do an extensive conversion why not snip off most of the bottom part of the spear and remove the pointy bit at the top so the goblins look like they're wielding batons. It will go with the big rectangular shields they have. Use lots of helmets (horns removed), give them a dark blue uniform and call them Da Riot Squad*.

*i'm tempted to steal this idea for my own goblins!

This! You sir receive an internet cookie! :cheese:

But seriously you are my savior. I think i'm going to do this from now on. Thanks a bunch :)

Harwammer
27-09-2011, 03:21
Can you steal your own idea? How does that work?
Yep, cos I gave it away and now I want it back!

This! You sir receive an internet cookie! :cheese:

But seriously you are my savior. I think i'm going to do this from now on. Thanks a bunch :)
Thanks! Nomnomnomnom :D

AMWOOD co
28-09-2011, 03:36
*shrugs* I started working on a unit of goblins whose weapons would be basically just the spear heads. Goblins are near last in the pecking order of greenskins. Technically, Snotlings are last, but they just grab whatever they can without getting stepped on... then again sometimes they get stepped on anyway.

What? Oh, right. Where was I?

Anyway, my idea was goblins making use of the broken weapons of other armies. Discarded bits of knives and swords, broken spears, the traditional pointy stick... the orcs took everything that was still in one piece and broke anything they couldn't take. Poor goblins.

TMATK
28-09-2011, 03:52
This has some simple Goblin hand weapon conversions - http://www.da-warpath.com/articles/ConvertingGoblinHandweapons.pdf

Yrrdead
28-09-2011, 04:09
This has some simple Goblin hand weapon conversions - http://www.da-warpath.com/articles/ConvertingGoblinHandweapons.pdf

Very cool , thanks for that link.