PDA

View Full Version : 1000pts O&G vs HE's

Glenn87
26-09-2011, 19:59
Hi, Playing HE's tomorrow for my very first O&G battle (did a 500pts one before, but that's not anything to measure by).

this is the list:

Savage Orc Shaman: Lucky Shrunken Head, lvl 2
Orc BSB: Armour of Destiny

50 Night Goblins: Spears and Shields, Musician, Banner, Netters, 3 Fanatics
20 Savage Orc Big 'Uns: 2 Hand Weapons, Musician, Banner
5 Wolf riders: Short Bows

Wolf Chariot
Spear Chuka

Doom Diver

this is exactly 1000 pts, It's everything I've got (apart from more wolf riders).
I know that in this low points lvl I shoudln't upgrade to Big 'Uns, but it's all i've got, and I want to see how hard they'll hit (they've got a 5+ Ward Save to guard them).

zielonkak
26-09-2011, 20:10
well good luck...you need more models....just make sure you get in combat as soon as possible

Glenn87
26-09-2011, 20:29
well good luck...you need more models....just make sure you get in combat as soon as possible

Yeah, I know I need more models. But I'm going to buy another box of NG's tomorrow (to get my 50, only got 30 now).

what do you suggest I add/remove (I know...remove big 'uns, but what else?)

zielonkak
26-09-2011, 21:06
well the heart of an orc army is its numbers , and not just any numbers but orcs....toughness 4 is great ecspecially when they are 5 pts a model...add a point for double choppas and you got two strength 4 attacks first round for each one for 6 pts a model...in a thousand point game i would have atleast 2 blocks of 30 orcs or so and you could argue making it as many as 40....back in 7th edition, i would have run min 3 blocks of orcs of 30+ models in a game 1500 -2000 pts....add some hard hitters in there with some spear chuckas( there so cheap), and a hard hitting lord with 2 mages or so...and thats a solid force for any race to fight against...so for you...i would suggest buying more orcs tom instead of the goblins....goblins are good for the fanatics....you dont need 50 of them for the fanatics, 50+ means you plan on putting them in combat...there was sometimes when i would play a block of goblins and put nothing in them....people stayed away from them the whole game thinking there were fanactics....sometimes thats the best way to use them...

Glenn87
26-09-2011, 21:43
Orcs with 2 hand weapons are 7 points :) (not THAT big of a deal, but on a unit of 30 it could buy you 10 more gobbo's).

And what about Savage Orcs instead of normal Orcs? 2 Points more, but they've got a Ward save instead of an Armour save and an extra attack (due to frenzy).

Also, what do you think is the best set-up on NG units then? I've seen alot of people fielding them in 20-25 NG's with Short Bows and Fanatics in them.

zielonkak
26-09-2011, 21:51
i still think that the ward isnt that good...6+ if im not mistaken...the frenzy is nice buy i would rather the numbers in my opinion...i always used ng in blocks of 20-30 with fanatics....but not sure now with the 8th edition rules...i have only played like 2 games since the update and ive used my warriors of chaos...um...i am biased with the ng....i would rather the extra attacks at strenth 4 with the orcs then 10 extra ng that will mostlikely die anyway...use them in a small block with 3 fanactics hoping that they will do damage that way, or set them up in a huge bock with spears and nets with a bsb and maybe they will do some damage....either way i would bet on orcs doing damage...or you could add a chariot to do some big damage, or a giant, or even some boar riders...i like them in small games

zielonkak
26-09-2011, 21:52
i change my mind on the boar riders...if you are playing elves...they will shoot the hell out of them...unless u make a big block of them....

Glenn87
26-09-2011, 22:26
So units of 30-40 Orcs, supported by units of 20-25 NG's (with short bows??)
And the best save an Orc can get is 5+ (light armour, shield). That's the same as the Savage Orcs (with the lucky shrunken head). But the Savage Orcs' save doesn't get Strength modifiers.

zielonkak
26-09-2011, 22:53
dont care about the saves for the orcs....dish attacks and take the wounds...who cares when you have 100+ of them with toughness 4...the bows are up to you....i would consider them against elves or anyone with low toughness....i dont think that they will be all that great though...imo.also...if you want the ng to be a competitive force for fighting then drop the fanatics and add a small character to beef it up, or use the fanatics and drop the nets and just let the fanatics do the damage...then give them bows....again thats my opinion

Glenn87
26-09-2011, 22:58
yeah, that's what I meant. Making a unit of 20-25 NG's with 2-3 fanatics and short bows. without anything else.

zielonkak
26-09-2011, 23:03
yea that is solid...just hope that there calvary if they have it attacks them

Glenn87
27-09-2011, 08:44
yeah, I expect him to take Silver Helms. In larger games he usually takes a unit of 8 Silver Helms with his Lord and BSB in there.

Fenrisulfr
27-09-2011, 14:44
I think you'll do fine with this list. One thing to mull over is whether bows might avail you better than the spears, the idea being to just shoot at him and dare him to walk across and get charged by fanatics and savage orcs.

Your list looks very viable as is, but it's an idea if you want to mix it up