PDA

View Full Version : 2400 point ogres

Jack Shrapnel
27-09-2011, 02:44
Have a tourney coming up this weekend... here's what I'm thinking of bringing... any ideas on what needs to change to make a decent list?

General:

Slaughtermaster, Level 4 Upgrade
+ Talisman of Preservation, Hellheart
+ Lore of The Great Maw
- - - > 380 Points

Heroes

Bruiser
+ Sword of Striking, Talisman of Endurance, Enchanted Shield
+ Battlestandard Bearer
- - - > 180 Points

Firebelly, Great Weapon
+ Dispell Scroll
+ Lore of Fire
- - - > 154 Points

Core:

10 Ironguts, Musician, Standardbearer
+ Standard of Discipline
- - - > 465 Points

5 Ogres, Handweapon & Ironfist, Musician, Standardbearer
- - - > 180 Points

Special:

4 Mournfang Cavalry, Heavy Armour, Ironfist, Musician, Standardbearer
+ Dragonhide Banner
- - - > 350 Points

6 Leadbelchers, Musician
- - - > 268 Points

Rare:

Thundertusk

Ironblaster

Total Points Ogre Kingdoms : 2397

Slaughtermaster and BSB go with ironguts... firebelly with the ogres... mournfangs run up whatever flank has the least amount of dangerous terrain checks, and the other flank is held by the shooters. Tusk runs behind the guts and ogres, lending it's ASL aura and lobbing snowballs for fun....

Morax
27-09-2011, 15:43
I'd drop the firebelly and take 5 more ogres. The extra ogres are going to cause more hurt every time.

On a more subjective note, I'd drop the 4++ off of the SM and take the Fencer Blades. He's hard to kill as it is, he really doesn't need much in the way of protection. The Fencer blades however give him a boost to defense and offense with the needing 3's to hit on just about everything and +1 attack.

tmarichards
27-09-2011, 22:13
I'd advise heavily against dropping the Firebelly.

I would consider perhaps dropping one of the rares (most likely not the cannon) in order to get some more bodies.

I think splitting the Leadbelchers into 2 units would also be a good idea.

10_minute_pie
28-09-2011, 02:25
I'm not totally sold on the BSB's items. Why no heavy armour if you're investing in a better armour save via the enchanted shield? Ditto with previous poster on the Fencer's blades on the SM.

Also, your list appears to be illegal. You're missing the mandatory 3 Units of solo sabertusks required to field an ogre army :) Finally, I don't know which unit you plan to run the fire belly in, but if you were thinking of the Iron Guts, could you drop one for a unit of gnoblars/trappers?

Jack Shrapnel
28-09-2011, 10:40
Plan was to put the firebelly in with the ogres....

sorry my mistake, the BSB does have heavy armor... forgot to write it in the list.

I was thinking that the belchers could sub as a combat capable unit at six if need be (and once everyone's engaged they won't be shooting much!) but am worried about what other function they'd serve at only three strong... but on the other hand, would be more drops.... sigh.... I'm not good at this!

If I go with the fencer's blades on the slaughtermaster, would you then advise he goes into the front rank instead of the BSB (at three wide with musician and standard only one of the characters will be in the front)

vinny t
28-09-2011, 11:13
I would highly advise against usin the Mournfangs in a flank. LD 7 means they panic easily and you don't want to waste that potential.

wbravenboer
28-09-2011, 11:44
Perhaps a standard of discipline for the mournfang? I did have some good results from 2 units of 2 mournfang with standard and musician each, obviously only one unit can get a magic banner. I used the mournfang for protecting the flanks of my main big unit.
Do not underestimate the gnoblars! Two 10 or 15 model units can cover quite nicely. In my last battle toothcracker augmented gnobbos held off a black coach and a unit of ghouls!
Split the leadbelchers, but keep the musician. A crown of command could also be handy.

Jack Shrapnel
29-09-2011, 11:22
I haven't had a lot of luck with the units of two Mournfangs... find they just don't have the punch to kill anything reliably and with only six wounds, are easy to take down.... since running the unit of four however, they're much more survivable.

I'll try the fencer's blades on the SM tonight to see how they fare...

Morax
29-09-2011, 11:48
I've found they function much like Necropolis Knights in that they need atleast 3 to hit hard enough to matter. This means that you will need atleast 4 in the unit to start with as it will more then likely lose one on its way to combat. The problem with this in an Ogre army is that losing one when you have 4 will cause a panic check. Gotta have that leadership 9 and/or BSB near by so they don't scarker off.