PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts High Elves, All Cavalry

corben_da
13-04-2006, 07:17
Need your opinions about this army..

Lord: Elf Prince: 257pts
Pure of Heart, Vambracers of Defence, Blade of Seagold, Steed Ithilmar Barding, Shield, Dragon Armour,

Hero: Commander: 147pts
Reaver Bow, Enchanted Shield, Lance, Dragon Armour, Steed Ithilmar Barding

Hero: Commander: 135pts
Guardian Phoenix, Sword of Might, Dragon Armour, Shield, Steed Ithilmar Barding

Hero: Mage: 192pts
2lvl High Magic, Channeler, Jewel of the Dusk, Dispel Scroll, Steed Ithilmar Barding

6 x Silver Helms, Heavy Armour, Shield, 138pts
6 x Silver Helms, Heavy Armour, Shield, 138pts
9 x First Silver Helms, Heavy Armour, Shield, Full Command, Banner of Ellyrion, 257pts

11 x Dragon Princes, Full Command, Standard of Balance, 376pts
5 x Ellyrian Reavers, 90pts
Tiranoc Chariot, 85pts
Tiranoc Chariot(free), 85pts

Great Eagle, 50pts
Great Eagle(free), 50pts

2000pts

Models in the army 45

shadowprince
13-04-2006, 09:09
ouch wow where to begin, first let me state I am a firm believer in the power of a balanced list over all calv. drop 1 commander ge aa mage, that mage you already had should have too dispel scrolls, or you could give loremaster or radient gem to one of your comanders, I also believe your Prince is illegal isn;t the blade 60 points and the vambracers 55.,

And that dragon prince unit is jst absoltly ugly, sure they will look cool, but the amount of points you have in their, it is th elargest target I have ever seen, WIth all calv you want to go with th eMSU tactic.

Leonous2006
13-04-2006, 11:33
I agree with shadow prince you definately need another mage, the single mage wont do a thing with one dispel scroll and few power dice. either that or drop the level on him and give him 2 scrolls and forget about magical offense??
Im not 100% in the know about HE but what about putting your prince on a griffon, have 3-4 units of silver helms, scrap the princes and put some more reavers in im sure it would be a bit more effective....

Major Defense
13-04-2006, 12:21
what about putting your prince on a griffonWouldn't that mean that he'd have to keep the griffon seperate from a unit or force it to charge only 12"?

My advice would be to turn the 2+ re-rollable, 4+ ward lord into a 0+ re-rollable, 5+ ward lord by dropping the vambraces for the Helm of Fortune, Enchanted Shield and Guardian Phoenix. Now you can laugh at great weapons and heavy hitters.

I totally agree about the mage though. And you might want to dump some Dragon Princes for more chariots. The extra wounds from impact hits will more than make up for the loss of ranks.

Leonous2006
13-04-2006, 12:27
Yes it would but on the other side it causes terror, and it can charge pretty much whatever it wants and it can help out a number of different units due to its massive charge range, it plays pretty much the same as any other monster, theyre all restricted in there charge if you put it like that......

Major Defense
13-04-2006, 14:44
Yes it would but on the other side it causes terror, and it can charge pretty much whatever it wants and it can help out a number of different units due to its massive charge range, it plays pretty much the same as any other monster, theyre all restricted in there charge if you put it like that......

Then maybe that prince on a griffon should have...
Enchanted Shield(10) Helm of Fortune(25) Amulet of Fire(20) Amulet of the Purifying Flame(15)...and maybe 15 or 25 points worth of magic weapon.

sliganian
13-04-2006, 15:00
Q: What are HE players opinions on putting a Prince / Commander in a chariot? Yea or nay? What would you consider the kit for it?

Reason I am asking: a friend who plays Chaos wants to do a 2000 pt. game and he wants to play with the HellCannon. Therefore, I am thinking that a 'get to combat fast' tactic is the best I can manage against that.

Leonous2006
13-04-2006, 17:47
Id still keep the vambraces, and the amulet of purifying flame, magic res will help but not as much as a ward, i would take the vambraces, AoPF, and the enchanted, you still get a fairly decent AS and a good WS so i think he'd be pretty safe, maybe a lance for the weapon...........

Major Defense
13-04-2006, 21:28
Q: What are HE players opinions on putting a Prince / Commander in a chariot? Yea or nay? What would you consider the kit for it?

Reason I am asking: a friend who plays Chaos wants to do a 2000 pt. game and he wants to play with the HellCannon. Therefore, I am thinking that a 'get to combat fast' tactic is the best I can manage against that.

Sounds like a better idea would be to put him on a horse (that can march while chariots can't) and maybe give him cover with some Ellyrian Reavers.

corben_da
14-04-2006, 07:45
point in my army is that you will be in close combat within 2 rounds or at last at the 3rd round.. so therefore i don't need so much magic and dispell, and i wan't to keep this army as much as possible just horse riding because of the style i wanted to create for this army, yet that is true that one Mage isn't enough but i will do much better damage in HtH with 2 commanders and Prince! and HtH is the main fighting style of this army..

corben_da
14-04-2006, 07:47
and about the illegalence of my Prince, the Blade of Sea Gold is 40pts

Major Defense
15-04-2006, 05:20
point in my army is that you will be in close combat within 2 rounds or at last at the 3rd round.. so therefore i don't need so much magic and dispell, and i wan't to keep this army as much as possible just horse riding because of the style i wanted to create for this army, yet that is true that one Mage isn't enough but i will do much better damage in HtH with 2 commanders and Prince! and HtH is the main fighting style of this army..

If you're playing HE and haven't charged by turn 2 then something must have gone horribly wrong! Another benefit of an ACHE army (new b.s. acronym) is that you tend to deploy even fewer units than normal. This will help in scenarios where finishing deployment first gives +1 to the first turn roll. Going "semi-CHE" with some Shadow Warriors will help even more.

I still say that you're a little too weak on anti-magic and HE have some of the best gear for it. You need just enough scrolls to get you through the first two turns but going too weak can mean the loss of one or two units crucial in the charge.

Frankly
15-04-2006, 08:17
I like the list, its fast and mobile, its a very go start.

I think it has 2 flaws though, it lacks a bit of punch and it lacks numbers.

There are to many points spend in your character slots e.g. that mage doesn't need to be LvL2, he doesn't need to be fancy, he just need to dispel spells for 1 or 2 turns until your units get into combat.

Great weapons and lances are the best weaponary you can get for a all cavarly army for they're points cost.

If you loose all the bells and whistles from the characters put the rest of the points into your units, your going to get alot more punishment for your points.

Dropping 2 D.princes and putting the points towards another chariot would give you alittle more punch as well.

corben_da
15-04-2006, 10:37
i have been thinking of taking couple of D.Princes off and add maybe that one chariot.
thanks all for the comments :)

Anvilbrow
15-04-2006, 17:54
I played a very similar list in a 2K RTT:

Prince steed, bard, hvy, shld, lance
Commander, steed, bard, hvy, shld, lance
Commander, steed, bard, hvy, shld, lance
Mage, steed, bard, 2X dispel

8 First Silver Helms, War Banner full kit and cmd
7 Silver Helms, full kit and cmd
7 Silver Helms, full kit and cmd

4 chariots (2 free)
6 reavers, full kit and cmd
6 reavers, ful kit and cmd

2 great eagles

I went 3-0-0 against Grimgor's Horde, Beasts of Chaos, and Dwarfs and all were pretty solid victories. The flexibility of the eagles and reavers allowed me to set up for a lot of combined charges with numbers and rank (silver helms) and hitting power (1-2 chariots), often hitting in the rear with eagle and side with reavers. Most games were pretty much over by turn three.

Lessons: I'll never run it again. It is too good, and not much of a challenge to play and besides, people hate playing all-cav lists whether it's Empire, Bretonnian or Chaos. I also play with a one dispel scroll rule now. I hate scroll caddies when I face them, why be a hippocrite?

corben_da
15-04-2006, 21:01
that is so true, using mage as just scroll caddy is really cheesy and in army like this its REALLY cheesy, its different to create army that is fun to play rather than army that wins most of the games, i just wanted to make this army because i want riding high elves army..not because i want to win every game!

Anvilbrow
15-04-2006, 23:35
I suggest leaving out magic items altogether. Weather a turn or two of shooting and magic and then get stuck in. That'll make it quite a challenge.