PDA

View Full Version : Ae? ae? Aye. Oh you!

Carlosophy
27-09-2011, 08:48
GW likes to give us lots of funny names for characters and units and we've all got confused by them at some point in our gaming careers or heard someone else mispronounce them.

What are your strangest or funniest instances?

A few examples:

- A guy at my LGS called Demons 'Daymons' on account of the 'ae' being pronounced as 'ay'

- My friend used to call the C'tan the 'Ser-tan'

- When I was 11 I used to call Psykers 'Pysskers'

- Abaddon is still half and half pronounced both 'A-bad-un' and 'Abba-donn'

druchii
27-09-2011, 08:54
GW likes to give us lots of funny names for characters and units and we've all got confused by them at some point in our gaming careers or heard someone else mispronounce them.

What are your strangest or funniest instances?

A few examples:

- A guy at my LGS called Demons 'Daymons' on account of the 'ae' being pronounced as 'ay'

- My friend used to call the C'tan the 'Ser-tan'

- When I was 11 I used to call Psykers 'Pysskers'

- Abaddon is still half and half pronounced both 'A-bad-un' and 'Abba-donn'

inb4 Fabulous Bill (IE Fabius Bile).

d

Grimtuff
27-09-2011, 08:55
Too many to name.

My top ones were the kid that was using his Physic powers, and, in what has become a minor annoyance of mine people pronouncing the Necron weaponry as "Gauze". It's pronounced "Gaus"! :mad:

Still not as bad as my mate trying to pronounce the name of one of the new character Warjacks in Warmachine's latest expansion. It was quite fun seeing how many different ways he could say "Rocinante". :D

Deusmex
27-09-2011, 11:14
Aluminium.
How hard is it to pronounce this correctly? Honestly.

TheLaughingGod
27-09-2011, 11:34
Technically, Abbadon makes the most sense as Abba-don.

And day-mon has its roots in computer software (everyone calls daemons "day-mons")

Gorgoroth
27-09-2011, 11:47
Slaanesh - Slay-Nish

Spyral
27-09-2011, 11:50
Do people call aether ay-ther?. It's ee-there

Korraz
27-09-2011, 12:03
I had none. Although I know a guy that pronounces Tzeentch "Zentsch", which makes it unbearable to play against him because he plays Thousand Sons and he keeps calling him Zentsch just to be an annoying prick.

Godzooky
27-09-2011, 12:21

And day-mon has its roots in computer software (everyone calls daemons "day-mons")

*Pedant mode engaged*

It's Abaddon. :shifty:

:p

TheLaughingGod
27-09-2011, 12:26
*Pedant mode engaged*

It's Abaddon. :shifty:

:p

well yes, you're right, it is anglicized as Abaddon. That said, in Hebrew it sounds like Avva-Don. Unintentional misspelling, mea culpa.

Its like saying Ah-lad-dun instead of Al-ah-deen. The correct pronunciation is going to be closer to the original language when possible.

Kakapo42
27-09-2011, 12:27
I haven't encountered that many, except in Dark Crusade, where Cadre is pronounced "Car-dra", as opposed to the way I've always said it, "Cad-dree", and Gue'La as "Gwy-la" (I've always pronounced it "Gwey-la").

omegoku
27-09-2011, 13:20
Basilik pronounced Bass Sill Isk
Chimera pronounced Shim Err Ah

Knew a guy who called Kroot Kraut

I call them Day mons, if just to separate them from non 40k demons

Tzeentch seems to be pronounced differently by everyone
T-zinch, t-zenk, zinch, zint-ch, tuh zench, etc

Slaanesh
Slaan esh or slaan eesh

harlekin
27-09-2011, 13:28
I had none. Although I know a guy that pronounces Tzeentch "Zentsch", which makes it unbearable to play against him because he plays Thousand Sons and he keeps calling him Zentsch just to be an annoying prick.

Well, tbh I pronounce it in the same way... :shifty:
Where is it written how to pronounce it (seriously)?
And after all Tzeentch is the Lord of Change.... he has many names :P

Chapters Unwritten
27-09-2011, 13:33

And day-mon has its roots in computer software (everyone calls daemons "day-mons")That's still wrong.

The big one for me is a tie between (and these were actual, not second-hand)

"Nee-crons"

and

"Tizenick" (Tzeentch!?)

pyrosocial
27-09-2011, 13:38
I still pronounce them day-mons lol

I pronounce C'tan as satan. :D

Chapters Unwritten
27-09-2011, 13:44
Well, tbh I pronounce it in the same way... :shifty:
Where is it written how to pronounce it (seriously)?
And after all Tzeentch is the Lord of Change.... he has many names :PPhil Kelly has said it "Zeench" many times if I recall correctly. Even if he hadn't, I never assumed otherwise (though I could understand why someone would with that word).

Here's another good one, and it's direct from the Space Marine video game: The Ultras primarch "Gwillamin"...

Blink
27-09-2011, 13:50
Pronounce Gork and Mork wrong; I dare you.

Chapters Unwritten
27-09-2011, 13:52
I've heard some Bostonians pronounce them Gawk and Mawk...but that is their accent.

ColShaw
27-09-2011, 14:03
I've heard Commissars called "Commissioners" more times than I can count.

Comp
27-09-2011, 14:21
I used to pronounce Tzeentch "tees neck" which was obviously wrong.

Dawn of War pronounced it "Zinch" and that does make more sense, given the spelling.

Bloodknight
27-09-2011, 14:24
Gue'La as "Gwy-la" (I've always pronounced it "Gwey-la").

Funny it wasn't Gwailo. Which would have made a lot of sense if you see Tau as chinese cow-aliens...

Wyrmwood
27-09-2011, 14:43
Pronounce Gork and Mork wrong; I dare you.

Gok Wan?

:shifty:

I've encountered most of these often enough, but Chimera has yet to be mentioned: Chimaira, as in chips, as opposed to Chimera, with a 'k' and elongated 'e'.

TheLaughingGod
27-09-2011, 14:46
That's still wrong.
Abaddon comes from the Hebrew word meaning "destroyer" it sounds like Avva-don. A-bad-un is completely wrong.

daemon is in several dictionaries as being pronounced both de-mon and day-mon.

Class dismissed.

Godzooky
27-09-2011, 14:48
Abaddon comes from the Hebrew word meaning "destroyer" it sounds like Avva-don. A-bad-un is completely wrong.

Destroyer the Despoiler.

Catchy. :D

All Cing Eye
27-09-2011, 15:02
When I first started playing I had no idea how to say Tzeentch so I used to say it as "Tizen-Tech" sometimes I still find myself saying it that way.

Sgt John Keel
27-09-2011, 15:08
I've heard Commissars called "Commissioners" more times than I can count.

I really should make a (Deputy) Commissioner Rawls Commissar.

As for the Gue'La, isn't the point to pronounce it Gorilla (although with a soft r, I guess), in line with Mon-keigh?

bert n ernie
27-09-2011, 15:15
I really should make a (Deputy) Commissioner Rawls Commissar.

As for the Gue'La, isn't the point to pronounce it Gorilla (although with a soft r, I guess), in line with Mon-keigh?

And this is why A-bad-one could also be acceptable, in my opinion.
Some people are certain that GW writers use Latin(or greek or whatever) roots to construct the names of characters, and some are convinced that almost every GW name is an attempt at a bad pun. Which is equally probable.

Personally I think there are a lot of valid interpretations of some of the names, as GW does not provide pronunciation assistance like you get in a dictionary.

eldargal
27-09-2011, 15:16
Commoragh as Commo-rag was a big one, 'til the developer videos made it really hard to ignore just how wrong it was.

There are understandable mispronunciations with the Dark Angel biblical names, Bell-isle for Belial instead of Bee-lee-ell, for example.

Horus pronounced as Horace is another one. Elder instead of Eldar. Eldar Uhltron.

Dryaktylus
27-09-2011, 15:19
A-bad-un is completely wrong.

But... isn't he "A Bad 'Un"?:p

loveless
27-09-2011, 15:25
Horus pronounced as Horace is another one.

How do you pronounce those differently? I've always heard them with the same phonetic pronounciation.

----

A friend of mine (first looking at GW stuff) attempted to pronounce Tzeentch. She gave up, so all that was heard was "Greater Daemon of...Chuhzaza..."

"ass tarts" and "arr bites" come up a fair bit.

"tie RAY nids" was one that stuck in my head.

Not a pronunciation error, but seeing "Deamon" instead of "Daemon" bothers me to no end.

eldargal
27-09-2011, 15:38
Well, like wh*re-us rather than Hohr-ace or Hohr-is. This might not be much clearer,I'm not too good at writing phonetically. I should say one of my fathers childhood friends is named Horus and as an Old Etonian Egyptologist I'm assuming he has a good idea how to pronounce it.

Ace Rimmer
I always assumed Horus would be hor-us (hor sounding as whore) whilst I would pronounce Horace more like hor-iss with hor sound similar to horrible.

*ninja'd*

Kulgur
What, no laz/layz/las debate yet? I'm shocked.

GrogDaTyrant
27-09-2011, 15:54
One of my favorite ones, was something my boss had happen to him back when I was working as a redshirt. A kid who played Fantasy came in, and asked for the 'gay f** orgies'. After a double-take and a 'what!?', the kid repeated it, saying they were a Dogs of War unit... At which point it became clear he was referring to the Golfag's Ogres.

Another great one, was a kid who came in looking for the Eldar Evader. Everyone trying to work with him, couldn't figure out what he was talking about, especially since he insisted that it was called the Evader. Is it a tank? No. Is it a Pheonix Lord or Farseer? No... Eventually, after about 20 mins of this, it was finally (painfully) revealed that this mystical 'Eldar Evader' was an HQ monsterous creature, at which point it became clear he was referring to the Avatar.

t-tauri
27-09-2011, 15:54
Thread closed. Existing thread here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88003).