PDA

View Full Version : Defilers - what to do?

SteelTitan
27-09-2011, 09:54
Hey guys,

I just got a Defiler on the cheap and assembled it.

NOTE: I magnetized the left arm options (heavy flamer, havoc launcher, CCW) and glued on the reaper autocannon with little glue (so that I can take it off when I don't like how that plays).

The problems I have are:

1. I hate the flail CCW. If I want to run the Defiler with two additional CCWs, I will have to buy two (DCCW) from Ebay. However, I don't think I can magnetize those because of their weight.

2. There's no lascannon and I cannot think of a suitable substitute for me to magnetize.

[I dont care about the heavy bolter not being in the kit]

I would appreciate some opinions about what best to do.

a) I could sell it (for 40 or so Euros) and use the money to buy a Soulgrinder (which can easily be used as a Defiler with the appropriate weapon options).

b) Just go with the Reaper AC and Heavy Flamer because it's the most common/best setup

c) something else?

Thanks!

Sureshot05
27-09-2011, 10:00
Ork Dreadnought and tin canz have some great alternate close combat weapons for a defiler. Add guitar cables and your away.

Didn't realise that the las cannon was an option for these! I've never fitted it and went with the flamers but that is aminly because I wasn't interested in magnetizing the kit.

Hope that helps.

xxRavenxx
27-09-2011, 10:05
The heavy weapon arm option looks like it would be compatible with landraider/razorback guns. Consider picking some of these up? (Many people buy razorbacks to build rhinos, to get the spare guns, so theyre easy enough to find.)

as for extra CC weapons, you're a bit stuck without doing some remodeling. Its electic whisk, or convert your own, I think. Maybe the arms from killer kans could be an option though? I'm not sure how theyd look without some remodeling though.

Grimmeth
27-09-2011, 10:08
Best setup for a Defiler really is either 2x Close Combat Weapons or Heavy Flamer/CC Weapon - lets face it, you're going to be charging the thing forward more often than not and it doesn't really benefit from extra firepower.
That said, Lascannons would likely be best from the Landraider kit (I think you can get the Terminus sprues from GW direct?)
The DCCW's shouldn't be too heavy as they're plastic aren't they? Otherwise you could consider Killa Kan/ Deff Dread CC arms?

SteelTitan
27-09-2011, 10:35
Thing is, I really wanted Defiler with 2x CCW but with all that melta and other AT flying around these days, I don't think it will survive very long.

So, now I'm thinking that it might be better off sitting in my deployment zone, defending objectives (maybe together with a squad of Plague Marines), lobbing pie plates (or shooting its reaper if the cannon gets blown off).

Late game it can then move in for contesting / annoyance but the 'running forward strategy' doesn't seem that sound to me...

Eddie Chaos
27-09-2011, 11:12
I run a 2x CCW Defiler and to build that I used 4 of the crab claw arms instead of 2 and left the turret bare (apart from the battle cannon)

Latro_
27-09-2011, 11:49
Best combos, infact more or less the only that are much good are 2x ccw or +1 ccw and a heavy flamer.

So, now I'm thinking that it might be better off sitting in my deployment zone, defending objectives (maybe together with a squad of Plague Marines), lobbing pie plates (or shooting its reaper if the cannon gets blown off).

You can do this with just the battle cannon. I'v found games where it's fitted into that hang back and fire role and just the BC works for this. In the main though you'll want to use it in cc as it can turn the tide of a game. 6 s10 attacks on the charge and remember it has fleet and ignores stunned results so can really cover a lot of board pretty quickly.

They are like vindi's though big and scary so often draw a lot of fire and often die early on. Use this to your advantage by expecting it and not relying on it to win you games. If they shoot at the defiler they aint shooting at the rhinos filled with the real game winners.

As for arms i used the arms from an old alien toy :P defilers are a nice size to fit into a lot of generic action figure/toys size so look around

SteelTitan
27-09-2011, 13:47
Thanks guys for the feedback so far! I'll definitely keep my eyes open for toystore solutions ;)

As for Killa Kans and Deff Dread arms. They would be quite fitting and judging from the shape, they might be easier to magnetize as well (they seem quite a bit lighter than the huge DCCW that the Defiler has).

Does anyone know how the size of these arms are in comparison to the Defiler?
I've never seen Killa Kans or a Deff Dread in real life...which of the two would have better arms for the Defiler's size?

@ Eddie Chaos: Did you purchase additional DCCW from Ebay? I don't think I'll like having a bare turret. Where did you glue the extra two then?

PS @ Latro: I LOVE your Defiler's arms!!

Eddie Chaos
27-09-2011, 14:45
I had them left over from a conversion, I think with a bare turret and no head/mask, the Defiler looks more like a tank and less like a robo-spider which, for my army at least, is a good thing.

muggins
27-09-2011, 16:26
The Defiler close combat arms look so god awful that I never even considered making the thing a CC machine. The WS of 3 really hurts it too.

I just put the reaper autocannon and havoc launcher on it and called it a day. The model really isn't that great looking.

SteelTitan
27-09-2011, 16:39
The Defiler close combat arms look so god awful that I never even considered making the thing a CC machine. The WS of 3 really hurts it too.

I just put the reaper autocannon and havoc launcher on it and called it a day. The model really isn't that great looking.

Amen to god-awful! Id rather run a subpar config than have that thing :wtf: on my model.

I used to have a neutral to slightly negative opinion about the model itself. That is why I wanted to go for a proxy Soulgrinder, but a 50% discount I coulnd't resist. Now that I put it together, it actually grew on me quite fast.
[If you leave of the weird cannon mouth and daemon-like breastplate and pick the head you like best...]

Until GW boosts it CC potential, I see too much risk running it with 2x CCW and using it in a CC role. I can totally see it running face first into all the missiles and melta in the opposing army, only to arrive in their ranks and getting slapped because its low I and then fluffing all of its attacks because of its low WS, and then being uppercut by a power fist as a finishing touch.

The more I think of it, the more im inclined to just keep the model and run it with its reaper and flamer.

Latro_
27-09-2011, 16:53
With the ws of 3 and i i forgot to mention you reallllly need to pick targets for CC. You put it up against any kind of monstrous creature its normally dead before it strikes in the first turn.

This is easier said then done in 40k i know.

Primary target should be enemy vehicles first, then unfisted or eqv elite infantry, then normal infantry, then anything else. Hidden power fists are just a fact in 40k these days so a lot of the time you'll just have to brave it. Dont go anywhere near stuff like daemon princes, hive tyrants, avatars etc

Also obv good for smacking down non EW IC's in units.

totgeboren
27-09-2011, 16:54
I changed the anatomy some, I don't really like it with it's tall crab-pose. However, it must be said that Latro_s nurgle one looks great! But then again, the old Great Unclean One had the same pose, so it's really fitting for the Nurgle theme.
I on the other hand wanted it to look like some sort of khornate monstrosity!
The claws are attached at the shoulders, and I gave it some small legs at the front to balance it a bit better.

This is a close-combat beast, but I have been thinking about a lascannon variant. However, I hadn't considered that you don't get that weapon option in the box. :/

Chem-Dog
27-09-2011, 17:33
I'd say check the bits stores for twin LC's, SM's have a fair few scattered around the range.

ChromeZephyr
27-09-2011, 17:38
The heavy weapon arm option looks like it would be compatible with landraider/razorback guns. Consider picking some of these up? (Many people buy razorbacks to build rhinos, to get the spare guns, so theyre easy enough to find.)

This is exactly right, and I'd imagine it's why they gave it those weapon options. I bought mine with the last codex and stuck the lascannons on it to give it another use if (when, really) the battle cannon got blown off. I had possessed/mutated hull dreads to use for walker assaults, and the current codex's stats haven't made me want to put it into assault any more than before.

Askari
27-09-2011, 19:17
Yeah the Razorback Lascannons fit fine on the side of the Defiler.

Though you shouldn't take Lascannons on it, it's a horrible choice. Best setup I've found is 3 DCCW and Reaper Autocannon.

I used to use 4 DCCW, but found it often Immobilised, so the Reaper at least gave it another option for shooting bar the Battlecannon.

As for looks - just do this (http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b272/Noheadorc/Models/IMG_2576.jpg) - Yeah it needs bulking up a bit, but still.

WYSIWYG sorted - 3 DCCW (legs, Wraithsword), Reaper (on right of hull), Battlecannon (left).

Finn
27-09-2011, 21:27
Do you have any friends that play Chaos Demons? My friend had 2 extra DCCW arms (exactly the same as the ones that come with the Defiler) from each Soul Grinder kit he bought, so he just gave me those... I plan to use a magnet + pin system to make the arms swappable, as I can see myself putting the Reaper/CCW config to use in lists where I expect it to take more fire and I'm more likely to suffer a weapon destroyed result.

Anyhow, I also bought a Defiler hull for $7 on ebay to take the foremost leg mounts and put them on the Defiler torso. Will use the rest of the Defiler hull for something else, counts-as dark Ad Mech dreadnought or Dread Knight, probably.

Latro_
27-09-2011, 22:19
Yea if you can get hold of them three sets of smaller legs and the two big claws as arms looks siiiiick.

fromg google:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v706/ArPharazon12/Worldeaters/957d11cc.jpg

Finn
27-09-2011, 22:49
If you're looking to buy the bits, the sprues they come on vary greatly when choosing between a third set of smaller legs or a second set of the large pincer claws. Looking at Battlewagon Bits on The Warstore, I would just spring for the second set of large pincer claws because aside from remaining WYSIWYG*, you would get an extra hull sprue as well for a total of $16.99, vs. just having extra crab legs for $13.99. If you're into conversions, you can turn that extra hull into something. If you're not...I'd suggest trying to find the bits on ebay or something, unless you're willing to spend $17 plus shipping.

*The front claws as legs ARE the Defiler's first two DCCWs, and while I'd let it slide on the above model simply because it looks cool, strictly RAW you shouldn't do that.

solkan
28-09-2011, 07:53
For the record, you can magnetize those arms.

Or at least I magnetized mine, but I ended up resorting to large craft magnets and loops of wire. It's a little tricky getting the magnets mounted, but it works well.

It'd probably work even better mounting steel washers in the torso and getting some stronger magnets.

tu33y
29-09-2011, 11:34
i saw a PROPPER MINT conversion at Lenton for a Thousand Sons defiler that used the top half of the new tomb kings warsphinx thing. it looked so awesome my eyes melted. plus it had two big old sword-y arm things...

Finn
29-09-2011, 15:21
Oh my. That is quite the awesome idea. Just bulk out the Warsphinx's torso a little bit to add the battle cannon...you could probably just use the Defiler torso as it is...

SteelTitan
29-09-2011, 15:27
Yeah, I heard about that idea a while ago on BlueTablePainting. Pretty awesome (yet costly) conversion.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll experiment with its current setup and use your advice if I want to change its config.

Razaan
29-09-2011, 15:55
Not the best picture, but I combined the CCW arm and the ball from the Skaven Plague Furnace/Screaming Bell kit.

That defiler is completely magnetized. The CCW swaps between the Heavy Flamer, CCW and Havoc Launcher, the Autocannon swaps out for a lascannon, and the torso is magnetized to the legs.

ChromeZephyr
29-09-2011, 20:54
Wow, that's a unique idea, Razaan. Never would have thought of it. Well executed, too.

Razaan
30-09-2011, 05:46
Thanks. I built and painted this defiler for a friend of mine. It never seems to do much in battle, but it does get a lot of comments on the table.

SteelTitan
30-09-2011, 07:52
If you'll allow me ;) I will steal that idea. Wow, that is awesome...simply awesome!

Will the usual 3x2 or 3x1 (mm) earth magnets hold the weight of such a big object?

And how did you magnetize the reaper and the lascannon. Im having a hard time finding a good spot to do it as the amma clips go into the torso.

Razaan
30-09-2011, 15:32
I glued two large rare earth magnets, stacked, to the bottom of a round base, then glued that on the inside of the defiler body with the magnets to the inside. Then on the arm, I just used the Havoc Launcher cover and two magnets stacked. The magnets fit snugly into the bottom of the Havoc Launcher disk thing. I found with one magnet each, the arm would fall, but two on each side had enough power to hold it wherever I wanted.

As for the Autocannon arm, I glued it into place and clipped the ammo clips. It doesn't move side to side, but it's a small price to pay to be able to easily swap weapons.