PDA

View Full Version : GW CEO Apology re Games Day

Munchy
27-09-2011, 15:04
I just recieved this from GW in an email:

To all Games Day 2011 customers,

It was great to see you all on Sunday at what proved to be our busiest Golden Demon and Games Day in quite a few years. The gaming tables, hobby areas and displays were packed all day, particularly the Dreadfleet demo games and our staff have fed back how much they enjoyed talking with you throughout the day. We hope you enjoyed it too.

It was good to see how popular some of the new activities were, such as the Masterclass demonstrations and Armies on Parade, both of which we will run again next year. We will also continue to show more of the Golden Demon entries on the big screens, which again proved popular. As always the reviews are already under way to build on what worked well and look at what we can do better.

On the latter, I'd like to apologise to those customers who had to queue for the sales stands in the morning. I'm afraid we were unable to cope with the sheer volume of people wanting the new Warhammer Forge, Forgeworld and Black Library releases. Lessons have been learnt and we will ensure that next year we are better prepared in the sales area so that any queuing is kept to a minimum. I'd like to thank you all for your patience while we sorted this out and I cannot speak highly enough of the behaviour of those in the queue during this time. You were amazing. Thank you.

Anyway I hope you all returned home safely and enjoyed sharing your purchases and stories with your friends and families. Keep your eyes posted on the Games Workshop website and your local Hobby Centre Facebook site for more pictures and videos from the day.

Until next year.

Mark Wells
CEO

Commandojimbob
27-09-2011, 15:20
I just got this as well and I think this was a nice touch. Now if only GW did this more often, I think they would win a few people round .

Boreal
27-09-2011, 15:34
At least we got an apology for standing in line at Games Day, received this via e-mail this afternoon :)

To all Games Day 2011 customers,

It was great to see you all on Sunday at what proved to be our busiest Golden Demon and Games Day in quite a few years. The gaming tables, hobby areas and displays were packed all day, particularly the Dreadfleet demo games and our staff have fed back how much they enjoyed talking with you throughout the day. We hope you enjoyed it too.

It was good to see how popular some of the new activities were, such as the Masterclass demonstrations and Armies on Parade, both of which we will run again next year. We will also continue to show more of the Golden Demon entries on the big screens, which again proved popular. As always the reviews are already under way to build on what worked well and look at what we can do better.

On the latter, I'd like to apologise to those customers who had to queue for the sales stands in the morning. I'm afraid we were unable to cope with the sheer volume of people wanting the new Warhammer Forge, Forgeworld and Black Library releases. Lessons have been learnt and we will ensure that next year we are better prepared in the sales area so that any queuing is kept to a minimum. I'd like to thank you all for your patience while we sorted this out and I cannot speak highly enough of the behaviour of those in the queue during this time. You were amazing. Thank you.

Anyway I hope you all returned home safely and enjoyed sharing your purchases and stories with your friends and families. Keep your eyes posted on the Games Workshop website and your local Hobby Centre Facebook site for more pictures and videos from the day.

Until next year.

Mark Wells
CEO

the1stpip
27-09-2011, 15:50
I have just received that too.

So, proof that the mighty GW marketing machine is not infallible...

eldargal
27-09-2011, 15:57
Proof, also, tht GW can apologise for things.

axiom
27-09-2011, 16:08
I think this is a good response - public acknowledgement of issues and a quick apology. Much better than the historic GW denial approach.

I welcome more of the same, especially if there is a continual improvement as a result

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
27-09-2011, 16:10
Proof, also, tht GW can apologise for things.

Which leads me to believe they are AWARE when they makes mistakes, so things they do not apologize for are because they choose not to.

Something to think about.

maximu160490
27-09-2011, 16:26
report just in:

Satan has been seen skating to work this morning.

Mallo
27-09-2011, 16:40
I have not seen one complaint on any web site or forum that complained about the queue size...And Gw apologise.

Thousands of complaints just on warseer alone about how awful finecast is...and they say nothing.....

Great way to take the attention off them selves

Putty
27-09-2011, 16:40
while they are at it, they can apologise also for not selling space marine combi-weapon bits in their bits catalog.

and las-plas / assault cannon razorback turrets....

i can go on and on...

eldargal
27-09-2011, 16:43
There were plenty of complaints, the GD thread in 40k rumours section was full of them. 3 hour queues and whatnot.

I have not seen one complaint on any web site or forum that complained about the queue size...And Gw apologise.

Thousands of complaints just on warseer alone about how awful finecast is...and they say nothing.....

the Infadel
27-09-2011, 16:48
Maybe taking a lesson from the Netflix fiasco. They have lost millions of customers. They sent out a letter this past week.

Jedi152
27-09-2011, 16:53
It's nice to see, but i suspect nothing will change since next year will probably be a whole new crowd.

I remember when i used to go to Games Day. Cabinets full of new models, some years in advance, hundreds of staff on the sales tables so you were served in minutes, loads of prerelease stuff to buy, moulding machines working flat out churning out free sprues - and it was 12 a ticket.

Ah, the good old days! :D

Llew
27-09-2011, 16:59
Haven't people been complaining about the queues at Games Day every year? From reading on here, I thought that was sort of a feature of the event. Or was this year particularly horrible?

Damien 1427
27-09-2011, 17:41
Haven't people been complaining about the queues at Games Day every year? From reading on here, I thought that was sort of a feature of the event. Or was this year particularly horrible?

The queues generally aren't that bad, but the worst has always been the Forge World stand scrum. Those complaints have been going on for nigh-on a decade.

Killgore
27-09-2011, 17:42
The FW queues have always been terrible! Why has it taken GW so long to acknowledge this? Or is it all part of a plan to make us share the joy of the hobby with the poor person queuing next to you for the past hour?

maximu160490
27-09-2011, 17:44
The Forge world queues were fun!!!! mainly because you knew what to expect from them. Shame they never gave out t-shirts with "I surivived the ForgeWorld Queue 2011" or somthing.

Also why would you even want to go to GW basic retail? never anything pre-release. Black library would be cool though.

Khorneguy
27-09-2011, 17:44

Particularly bad this year. the queue ground to a halt for about an hour.

According to the guy at the Forgeworld stand i asked, it was down to problems with their tills. Seeing as GW, BL and FW sales all fed into the same queue and tills, i can see why even a brief problem with them would cause that sort of impact.

Voss
27-09-2011, 18:10

I'm confused about that too. I've never seen or heard of a GD without ridiculous queues, especially for the FW stuff.

PANZERBUNNY
27-09-2011, 18:38
I have just received that too.

So, proof that the mighty GW marketing machine is not infallible...

"We are sorry for not anticipating something that we should have planned for anyways. Why are we questioning the popularity of our own products by not having enough minions manning the transactions or having enough products on the floor to satisfy? We have no idea. Maybe next time."

They are more than infallible.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
27-09-2011, 18:46
I think it's a nice touch, and would welcome more of the same in the future. It's nice to see them actually acknowledge a problem.

jack da greenskin
27-09-2011, 18:57
The queues generally aren't that bad, but the worst has always been the Forge World stand scrum. Those complaints have been going on for nigh-on a decade.

FW ques are bad though :/ Last year the tills broke or something, so I waited an hour and a half in a scrum.

The FW queues have always been terrible! Why has it taken GW so long to acknowledge this? Or is it all part of a plan to make us share the joy of the hobby with the poor person queuing next to you for the past hour?

I met a few nice guys last year in the que actually, forgot to get their fb or numbers, but they were alright.

The Forge world queues were fun!!!! mainly because you knew what to expect from them. Shame they never gave out t-shirts with "I surivived the ForgeWorld Queue 2011" or somthing.

Also why would you even want to go to GW basic retail? never anything pre-release. Black library would be cool though.

It amuses me why anyone would buy normal gw stuff :shifty: :eek: I wish they did have t-shirts too :/

PANZERBUNNY
27-09-2011, 20:18
FW ques are bad though :/ Last year the tills broke or something, so I waited an hour and a half in a scrum.

I met a few nice guys last year in the que actually, forgot to get their fb or numbers, but they were alright.

It amuses me why anyone would buy normal gw stuff :shifty: :eek: I wish they did have t-shirts too :/

I'll make you T-shirts. What do you want. ;)

Mini77
28-09-2011, 03:09
Forge World made it easier than ever this year to buy their stuff. With the exception of the few pre-release items unveiled this week, everything else was available to preorder (including the event-only marine and chaos dwarf) and pick up on the day from a separate location in the arena.

If people could have been bothered to actually ring them in advance and order the stuff they wanted most could have avoided the queues entirely.

Scaryscarymushroom
28-09-2011, 04:43
*sigh.*

Some people will never be satisfied.

At least they're trying.

Grimtuff
28-09-2011, 10:55
Maybe taking a lesson from the Netflix fiasco. They have lost millions of customers. They sent out a letter this past week.

That would imply GW actually sees what goes on in the warp, I mean, the Internet. And we all know that is not true...

xowainx
28-09-2011, 11:26

Funnily enough, at the White Dwarf subscriber seminar, Wade Pryce (Head of Studio press, the guy who makes sure we know nothing in advance), was pretty openly apologetic about the rollout of Finecast, admitting that they'd had a lot of quality control issues early on, and while it was better now, that if you got any Finecast model that you weren't 100% happy with, GW will not just will replace it, but actually want you to, so they can keep track of where they are going wrong and constantly refine it.

Also, as noted by others, the whole sales area situation was ridiculous. I was lucky enough to get straight in and get what I wanted from Black Library, but by the time i'd come out, the queue was already ridiculously long, and stayed that way until around 3pm, when I managed to jump back in and snag the Show-Only Chaos Dwarf Hellsmith from Forge World.

BrazenRogue
28-09-2011, 13:15
That would imply GW actually sees what goes on in the warp, I mean, the Internet. And we all know that is not true...

That's sarcasm, right?

eldargal
28-09-2011, 13:27
That is very interesting and encouraging, thanks. It also mirrors what I've seen with local GW staff, they never pretended everything was going fine.

Funnily enough, at the White Dwarf subscriber seminar, Wade Pryce (Head of Studio press, the guy who makes sure we know nothing in advance), was pretty openly apologetic about the rollout of Finecast, admitting that they'd had a lot of quality control issues early on, and while it was better now, that if you got any Finecast model that you weren't 100% happy with, GW will not just will replace it, but actually want you to, so they can keep track of where they are going wrong and constantly refine it.

eldargal
28-09-2011, 14:42
I'm sure a great many on the management side of things have no idea about the competition, but I know for a fact many in the design studio do.

Little Joe
28-09-2011, 16:21
I will just say that recognising a problem and having a solution for it is a good thing, so GW did something good.

Sturen
29-09-2011, 19:35

I got a little chuckle in one of the GD videos when one of the guys they interviewed (the one with the pirate hat) said something along the lines of "read more about it on the internet, have you heard of it? I hear it's all the rage these days!". Maybe GW can poke fun at us too!

Private_SeeD
29-09-2011, 20:50
I never went to GD but have been told from several ppl that BL and FW might need to get there acts together... since you queue to get your items then queue to pay?!?! I can only wonder how much stock never made it to the pay queue? since there was no checks or anything... did anyone else find this strange?

Grimtuff
29-09-2011, 20:59
I never went to GD but have been told from several ppl that BL and FW might need to get there acts together... since you queue to get your items then queue to pay?!?! I can only wonder how much stock never made it to the pay queue? since there was no checks or anything... did anyone else find this strange?

When I last attended a Games Day (2008) BL HAD got their act together and had a sort of "store" where they only let about 10-15 people in at a time, then they went to the tills, rinse, repeat.

FW OTOH. I truly have no idea what to do. They tried putting up barriers for people to queue in (2006 IIRC) but they were removed the following year as they were in breach of the NEC's health and safety rules. Go figure. :rolleyes:

My old housemate was working on the FW stand at the 2007 Games Day. He said he was watching the cabinet with the Warhound titan in it rocking backward and forward quite violently. He was amazed it didn't collapse.

Private_SeeD
29-09-2011, 21:10
also there website has a maximum purchase cap put at GD they don't.... a friend of mine told me some guy bought more than 30 copies of Aurelian (not sure which edition) and I'm sure they'll find their ways on to eBay. I know, i'm grumbling even thou I never went but i'm kinda glad I decided not too

PANZERBUNNY
29-09-2011, 21:15
also there website has a maximum purchase cap put at GD they don't.... a friend of mine told me some guy bought more than 30 copies of Aurelian (not sure which edition) and I'm sure they'll find their ways on to eBay. I know, i'm grumbling even thou I never went but i'm kinda glad I decided not too

This is the kind of thing they need to stop.

Customer appreciation over instant money. A guy rolling in and scooping up 30 books isn't just picking up a few for his friends.

He's a reseller and a company has a right to refuse purchase in such instances.

I would get resellers coming into Best Buy all the time trying to argue they had the "right" to clear my stock out.

You don't.

Of course, if they have boxes and boxes of the product laying around, who cares.

chokey_alpha
29-09-2011, 21:16
speaking as someone who had to try and help, it was the worst GD i have been to, the plan never survived first contact and as soon as the door opened all hell broke lose. i should of been monitoring the tills as security but ended up by the barriers at the side of the hall. they tried and tested the new layout in germany and it really worked. but i guess they didnt bet on british speed and you guys rocked!

cheers

Grimtuff
29-09-2011, 21:31
This is the kind of thing they need to stop.

Customer appreciation over instant money. A guy rolling in and scooping up 30 books isn't just picking up a few for his friends.

Indeed. I have always said GW should operate either a "1 per transaction" policy on pre-release stuff (or high profile items like the aforementioned book) So sunny-Jim can have those 30 copies it's just he has to go to the back of the line another 29 times.

OR

This would require GW being a little more open WRT releases AND having pre-release stuff on sale (which was simply not the case this year from what I gather). Send out a set of vouchers to all of the Games Day ticket holders (or all of their stores, which will get people in them) which can be exchanged for 1 box or blister (you would still have to pay for it obviously). If you want multiples, you'll have to find people who don't want to use that particular voucher and swap them for you do not want for example.

Just a couple of ideas I've had bouncing around in my head for a while.

blackcherry
29-09-2011, 21:47
I get the feeling that at least the CEO is encouraging open communication between tiers of the company (the prior CEO most definitely did not encourage this). Its a good step, along with the admission they did something wrong and an apology.

Perhaps it won't come to anything. Perhaps it will. All I know is that a CEO is doing something we haven't seen out of GW in a while. Its a nice change and the email I received put a smile on my face. Now we just need evidence of a change in internal business practices elsewhere.

Shamutanti
29-09-2011, 23:05
I've chatted to Mark Wells a few times as a customer (he's normally hanging about Bugman's at night!) and to be fair he's always seemed down to earth and happily involved in all things Games Workshop - so I'm not surprised this letter came out because he's probably just as frustrated as us customers were.

javgoro
04-10-2011, 07:51
People complain because GW apologize... Now I've seen it all...

Now on topic, it's nice to see GW doing this kind of thing for a change. They must be aware that their public image is suffering, and are probably taking steps to improve that.

Okuto
05-10-2011, 00:36
Sorry.....sorry for not processing you quicker to get your money...makes sense

infinite_array
05-10-2011, 01:33
People complain because GW apologize... Now I've seen it all...

Now on topic, it's nice to see GW doing this kind of thing for a change. They must be aware that their public image is suffering, and are probably taking steps to improve that.

And that's great. But how about, ya know, they try to apologize for something people are actually complaining about.

Finecast? Price Increases? Tyranid second wave? A seemingly ignorant view of the consumer base?

But no. They're sorry about the Forgeworld lines at Games Day.