PDA

View Full Version : What makes it 'ard?

Axeman1n
27-09-2011, 22:57
Was setting about to make my AoBR Boyz into Ard Boyz. What do I need to do to make that happen? I could buy the conversion kit, but I'd rather just custom convert them. Suggestions? Pictures would be even better. I noticed that quite of few of them have helmets. Would the helmets be enough? BTW, I have 120 of them, but I'm only converting 33 atm.

Cap'n Facebeard
27-09-2011, 23:07
Nice thread title...

I used a lot of the armour plates that were included in the Ork Boyz box, but as you have AoBR gitz, you won't have any. If you have access to plasticard or some other junk bits from other kits, just try making rough plates to cover the vulnerable pats on an ork - ideally, their arms, chest and back. Shields from fantasy can also look like good improvised armour. Being orks, it doesn't have to look sleek or fancy, its actually better if they look like walking junk heaps.

Mannimarco
27-09-2011, 23:25
Have a look at the bitz sites. Couple of scrap armour plates, maybe an SM shoulder pad or 2 (this could tie in to your armies back story if you are writing one) and you are all set.

Baaltor
27-09-2011, 23:44
Have a look at the bitz sites. Couple of scrap armour plates, maybe an SM shoulder pad or 2 (this could tie in to your armies back story if you are writing one) and you are all set.

What he said, but I recommend reading into what he said even more: the crap they have on their armour (or as their armour) is a narrative opportunity. The stuff your boys are wearing doesn't need to say "made by green gitz". orks thrive on war, and their economy is fueled by it. It's both easier on you and more flavourful to include bits from other armies. The reason why the bitz in the kitz are orky is because they need to be generic to appeal to all orks.

Also, what makes it "'ard" very between guys, and isn't appropriate to this forum, you have been warned. :)

DuskRaider
27-09-2011, 23:58
I made mine from helmeted Boyz only, added Iron Gobs, scrap pieces of armor... be it Power Armor, carapace, just scrap metal looking pieces. Shields are also a nice touch.

Axeman1n
28-09-2011, 02:31
I was thinking of moving all the heads from the helmeted ones into the Ard ones, but I feel like that limits the variety of models in the unit, as mixing and matching parts is the only way to make the army not look like clones. Maybe a face mask? Does anyone have any pictures they can post of their Ard Boyz conversions so I can compare?

Archon Deloth Vyrr
28-09-2011, 03:07
Does anyone have any pictures they can post of their Ard Boyz conversions so I can compare?

http://tinyurl.com/44voweq

baphomael
28-09-2011, 03:38
Yea, 'ard boyz are a pretty easy conversion that opens up a lot of cenversion opportunities - from boyz wearing looted bits of gear from their enemies, to Orks covered in bits of bolted-on scrap. It all depends on your preference and theme - anything that looks like an armoured Ork will do. I've seen effective conversions using black orcs as a base, I've seen some that mix marine armour parts with extra orky style armour plates. I've seen plasticard armour bits and 'bionic' cybork conversions.

Essentially, theres no right or wrong way to do it...just use your imagination and nail some bits of 'ard to ya boyz.

Void Reaper
28-09-2011, 03:49
An easy way to make shoulder pads and the like is to take plasticard tubing of an appropriate diameter (say 1/4" or 1/3") and cut it in half length-wise. This will leave you a long, C-shaped "half tube" that you can cut into smaller pieces to serve as curved armor plates. Slap some rivets on it and it looks great.

Eighties-Matt
28-09-2011, 05:10
http://tinyurl.com/44voweq

Witty and extremely helpful, bravo :shifty:

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n59/Darth_Skorr/Warhammer%2040K/Ork%20Miniatures/?action=view&current=ArdBoyz.jpg

Anyways, Nightserpents 'Ard Boyz from the Waaagh are a good example of simple plasticard conversions. The facemask over the helmet gives them a nice uniform look, and extra rivets makes them look more durable. Iron gobs can easily be cut from thin plasticard, as can armour plates that go over the shoulders.

Like Nightserpents, battle damage like huge gouges or dents on shoulders or helmets look great, it helps prove that the armour is thick enough that its saved the wearer more than once. For variety, you can add different sized or different numbers of eyeholes (from 2 to lots, like the old gladiator helmets), cut some horns off, leave some on, etc etc.

Another thing I've seen people do, is cut out some 1-2mm plasticard, stick it underneath the boots of the Ard Boyz, file and cut it to match the shape of the soles, and extra height will help set them apart from the rest of your boyz. Slightly smaller than Nobz, slightly bigger than Boyz. People used to do this for Skarboyz all the time with the old codex.

Hope this helps.

Axeman1n
28-09-2011, 07:21
I was thinking the same thing about that comment that ADV wrote. I actually do google and thread searches in both general and modelling and painting. Nearly no pictures from AoBR orks converted to Ard Boyz. Thanks for pics of the masked Boyz Eighties-Matt. How do you add your rivets? Is that just a chopped up bits glued to the right spots? That seems very time consuming.

The Satyr
28-09-2011, 07:39
Black Orcs with guns?

Elenneth89
28-09-2011, 08:07
Black Orcs with guns?

my brother did in the same way

sidcom
28-09-2011, 11:04
my Ard Boyz are mix of bitz from boyz box (Helmeted heads, bodies with "plate", jaw protectors, knives, shoulder guards, grenades, severed heads) from plastic Nobz box (even more shoulder guards) some marines/gurd bits and fantasy Black Orks, no science but works fine :)

Eighties-Matt
28-09-2011, 12:24
How do you add your rivets? Is that just a chopped up bits glued to the right spots? That seems very time consuming.

Applying rivets to Orky things generally is rather time-consuming, however the difficulty level and length of time used varies depending on which method you use to make rivets. Here are the methods I have used over the years.

Plastic rod - cut the end off a cylinder of plasti-rod and stick them onto the model. Very time consuming, rivets are often slanted or uneven, and they can fly into the endless void when you cut them off the rod. The worst choice. I would geuss this is the method used on the Ard Boyz I showed you.

Leather Hole Punch - Take a leather hole punch and just punch out hundreds of rivets from a sheet of plasticard. Hole Punch offers different sizes of rivets. The easiest and the fastest of the three, but the smallest sized rivet it offers may not be small enough for your liking, its all down to personal taste.

You can find a hole punch in most hardware stores, and it will only cost you a few pounds, and is a great thing to have in ones modelling toolbox.
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=leather+hole+punch&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1440&bih=799&tbm=isch&tbnid=RiEb0I5PD2Dd3M:&imgrefurl=http://www.greyhoundproducts.co.uk/Default.aspx%3FProductID%3D376&docid=lVUZP8d6Y2YpdM&w=402&h=379&ei=SQGDTqK2HYSh8QOryIkK&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=863&vpy=141&dur=491&hovh=218&hovw=231&tx=134&ty=93&page=1&tbnh=142&tbnw=150&start=0&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0

Water Filter - This is the method I currently use, learned it from the Forge World Masterclass book. Take a water filter catridge, bust it open (the kind found in Britta Water purifier things) and inside you'll find thousands of similarly shaped beads. Those are your rivets, you drill a 1mm hole into wherever you want the rivet, pick one up with a hobby knife, put a drop of glue in the hole, and put the bead into the hole. Takes roughly the same time as the first method, but it looks the best of the three, as its realistic and the rivet is an almost identical size to rivets already on GW models.

You can normally buy cartidges in packs of 2 from places like asda for a couple of pounds, and they contain thousands of beads, which will last for ages. Just buy the cheapest one.
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=water+filter+cartridges&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1440&bih=799&tbm=isch&tbnid=hFxJVxCXWxWHiM:&imgrefurl=http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/kitchen-accessories/cookworks-water-filter-cartridges-3-pack.asp&docid=oL2jHTQSL_YZRM&w=250&h=300&ei=eAODTry3OoiY8QO0s4EK&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=344&vpy=186&dur=2305&hovh=240&hovw=200&tx=91&ty=155&page=1&tbnh=131&tbnw=111&start=0&ndsp=33&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

Here is the method on a Russ I am working on.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p248/Mekboy-In-Training/CIMG0974.jpg

Also, a way to get realistic looking dents on your armour (like Nightserpents) is to take a nail, hold it with some pliers, hold it over a flame, and press the hot metal into the armour, and it will melt the necessary indent into the armour. This can also be done to effectively represent damage on tanks, but I recommend practising on a model you dont care about first. You could also use different sized nails, which will obviously leave different sized dents, representing different sizes of ammo that have bounced off the 'Ard Armour.

I hope you found this useful.

Axeman1n
28-09-2011, 14:40
I always envisioned the rivets to be sort of flat. Round ones look pretty good. All of the filters for out britta are filled with black stuff though.

Bellygrub
28-09-2011, 16:11
My old 'Ard Boyz have shields made from imperial tank hatches and such. Some extra tank tracks on the arms of a few works well too. Plasticard is definatly your friend here.

Eighties-Matt
28-09-2011, 18:22
I always envisioned the rivets to be sort of flat. Round ones look pretty good. All of the filters for out britta are filled with black stuff though.

Well, most converters use flat-headed rivets out of convenience, but real life rivets tend to have rounded, mushroom shaped heads. Bolt heads made from Hexagonal plastic rod would work, as would round washers underneath round screw heads. All depends on how realistic you want it to look, or the level of effort you fancy putting in. http://in.all.biz/img/in/catalog/107378.jpeg

And the britta filters do have black stuff in them, but its a half and half ratio of usable beads and the black stuff, but you still have thousands of beads so its no real issue.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p248/Mekboy-In-Training/CIMG0975.jpg

Axeman1n
29-09-2011, 07:24
Very good, very good. I got started as soon as I got home. I had some curved pieces to place as shoulder pads, and I fashioned a iron-gobs out of some left over white metal. Is that all it takes? A couple of shoulder pads and an iron-gob or helmet?